PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite US Launch Titles Lineup

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 09:34 AM
In term of quality and quantity, which was your favourite launch titles lineup amongst the following.

For simplicity's sake: I've limited the sampling to major third generation and up consoles. These lineups are for US launches only. Portable consoles are not taken into account. Feel free to point out any omissions.

Third Generation

Nintendo Entertainment System
US launch: October 18, 1985
10-Yard Fight
Baseball
Clu Clu Land
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Duck Hunt
Excitebike
Golf
Gyromite
Hogan's Alley
Ice Climber
Kung Fu
Mach Rider
Pinball
Stack-Up
Super Mario Bros.
Tennis
Wild Gunman
Wrecking Crew

Sega Master System
US launch: June 1986
Unknown.
Please post game titles
in this thread and I'll
Update this list

Fourth Generation

Sega Genesis
US launch: January 9, 1989
Space Harrier II
Tommy Lasorda Baseball
Last Battle
Thunder Force II
Altered Beast

Super Nintendo Entertainment System
US launch: August 13, 1991

Super Mario World
F-Zero
Pilotwings
Sim City?

Fifth Generation

Sega Saturn
US launch: May 1995
Virtua Fighter

Sony PlayStation
US launch: September 9, 1995
Battle Arena Toshinden
ESPN Extreme Games
Kileak - The DNA Imperative
NBA JAM Tournament Edition
Raiden Project
Rayman
Ridge Racer
Street Fighter:The Movie
Twisted Metal
Warhawk
Power Serve 3D Tennis
Total Eclipse Turbo

Nintendo 64
US launch: September 19, 1996
Super Mario 64
Pilotwings 64

Sixth Generation

Sega Dreamcast
US launch: September 9, 1999
Airforce Delta
Blue Stinger
Expendable
Flag to Flag
House of the Dead 2
Hydro Thunder
Monaco Grand Prix
Mortal Kombat Gold
NFL 2K
NFL Blitz 2000
Pen Pen Tri-Icelon
Power Stone
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
TNN Motorsports Hardcore Heat
Tokyo Xtreme Racer
TrickStyle

Sony PlayStation 2
US launch: October 26, 2000
SSX
Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore
Tekken Tag Tournament
Armored Core 2
Dynasty Warriors 2
ESPN International Track & Field
ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
Eternal Ring
Evergrace
FantaVision
Gungriffon Blaze
Kessen
Madden NFL 2001
Midnight Club: Street Racing
MotoGP
NHL 2001
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
Q-Ball: Billiards Master
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
Ridge Racer V
Silent Scope
Smuggler's Run
Street Fighter EX3
Summoner
Swing Away Golf
TimeSplitters
Unreal Tournament
Wild Wild Racing
X-Squad

Microsoft Xbox
US launch: November 15, 2001
Halo
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Amped
Dead or Alive 3
Project Gotham Racing
NFL Fever 2002

Nintendo Gamecube
US launch: November 18, 2001
All-Star Baseball 2002
Batman Vengeance
Crazy Taxi
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
Disney's Tarzan Untamed
Luigi's Mansion
Madden NFL 2002
NHL Hitz 20-02
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Super Monkey Ball
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Wave Race: Blue Storm

Seventh Generation

Xbox 360
US launch: November 22, 2005
Amped 3
Call of Duty 2
Condemned: Criminal Origins
FIFA '06: Road to FIFA World Cup
GUN
Kameo: Elements of Power
Madden NFL 06
NBA 2K6
NBA Live 06
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
NHL 2K6
Perfect Dark Zero
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Project Gotham Racing 3
Quake 4
Ridge Racer 6
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

Nintendo Wii (Planned Launch Titles)
US launch: Fall 2006
Call of Duty 3
Cars
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Elebits
Excite Truck
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Metal Slug Anthology
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Wii Sports

Sony PlayStyation 3 (Planned Launch Titles)
US launch: November 2006
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Call of Duty 3
Fight Night Round 3
Genji 2
Lair Order
Madden NFL 07
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
MotorStorm
NBA 07
NBA Live 07
Need For Speed: Carbon
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Resistance: Fall of Man
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Warhawk

This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html). It uses material from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org).

GFLPraxis
Jun 6, 2006, 09:42 AM
Wait, SNES launched with three games? N64 with two? I find that hard to believe...two titles seems too few.

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 09:43 AM
Personally, my favorite is the Wii lineup beacuse I'm a huge Dragon Quest / Final Fantasy / Zelda / Metroid fan and I'll be getting them all on Launch Day for the Wii. This is amazing.

PlayStation 2 would be my second choice simply because it had Armored Core 2. Dang I wanted this game so bad.

Some other consoles had great lineups but the games mostly fell into categories I wasn't interested in (Fighting, Driving, Sports).

Writing this poll sure brought back fond memories. :)

Haoshiro
Jun 6, 2006, 09:47 AM
NES, SNES, and Dreamcast!

I really can't decide between those. NES had some all time classics that I still love... But the quality and upgrades of titles like Super Mario World make it a toss up for me... I probably played SMW and F-Zero on the SNES more then all those NES games!

And the Dreamcast launch... so many games I still love and think are awesome, especially for the time. Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, Power Stone, Hydro Thunder... it really had the quantity and quality!

So I'm at a loss... I just can't choose.

Haoshiro
Jun 6, 2006, 09:49 AM
I do agree, out of then Next-Gen launches Wii definitely looks the best by far. If it does launch with all those then it surely will be the winner in terms of launch titles! :)

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 09:50 AM
Wait, SNES launched with three games? N64 with two? I find that hard to believe.

I've taken most of this info from wikipedia. I'll update the first post if anybody can provide me with a link proving that the info is wrong.

About the SNES, it sure looks like there were very few launch games. It's weird but I cannot think of any other so it leads me to believe that the info is correct.

DougTheImpaler
Jun 6, 2006, 10:21 AM
As much as I love my Saturn, Virtua Fighter is no launch library. LOL

That's what they get for having SaturnDay. I wonder if they'd waited til September how they'd have done for a launch library.

I picked Dreamcast.

Haoshiro
Jun 6, 2006, 10:27 AM
I picked Dreamcast.

As did I.

ManchesterTrix
Jun 6, 2006, 10:36 AM
I'm almost positive that Sim City was an SNES launch title.

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 11:38 AM
I'm almost positive that Sim City was an SNES launch title.

I can't find a precise release date but it does seems that it was released in the same month as the SNES (August 1991). I can't find any comfirmation that it was released on the same day as the console. That game was good. I loved the Bowser rampaging the city scenario. The soundtrack was also excellent. It was nice how it changed with the size of the city (Metropolis was the coolest). I might download it on the Wii's virtual console.

Foxglove9
Jun 6, 2006, 11:58 AM
Gotta go with NES, Genesis and Atari 2600.

But I don't understand why add PS3 and Wii? They aren't even released yet nor do we have solid dates on any lauch titles nor will we until weeks before release.

Antares
Jun 6, 2006, 12:02 PM
Wait, SNES launched with three games? N64 with two? I find that hard to believe...two titles seems too few.

Yes, I remember that clearly on launch day. But I think that I remember a third game on launch day....Wave Race 64 being that third game.

Dagless
Jun 6, 2006, 12:10 PM
I voted Gamecube. eff the US side of things, I bought my Cube with Rogue Leader and Smash Bros Melee on launch. Smash Bros being, frankly, the best game of last gen. IMO.

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 12:11 PM
Yes, I remember that clearly on launch day. But I think that I remember a third game on launch day....Wave Race 64 being that third game.

I'm trying to look it up. So far, it seems it was released in September only in Japan. In was released in November in the US.

Gotta go with NES, Genesis and Atari 2600.

But I don't understand why add PS3 and Wii? They aren't even released yet nor do we have solid dates on any lauch titles nor will we until weeks before release.

I thought that it would be more representative to include all 3 competing Seventh generation systems. Microsoft touted the Xbox 360 launch lineup as the best ever. I included the Wii's and PS3 for comparison. I removed a few games from the Wii list that probably won't not be ready in time for launch. I'm not sure how certain that PS3 lineup is.

Haoshiro
Jun 6, 2006, 12:25 PM
I voted Gamecube. eff the US side of things, I bought my Cube with Rogue Leader and Smash Bros Melee on launch. Smash Bros being, frankly, the best game of last gen. IMO.

To each their own I guess... but concerning last gen launch titles I'd put Halo 1 above SSB anyday.

2nyRiggz
Jun 6, 2006, 12:28 PM
Never really gave a darn about launch but now i'm starting to feel it....but i do know i was hype about my SNES and the titles.

Bless

Dagless
Jun 6, 2006, 01:31 PM
To each their own I guess... but concerning last gen launch titles I'd put Halo 1 above SSB anyday.

Oh Halo was good, marred only by the control side of things. I say Smash Bros Melee because it's the only current gen game I still play regularly. It just has something to keep it fresh, such a diverse and original game.

I might have said the Wii if it was already out. I've never been as excited for a Mario game with Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 (if following 1 and 2's success) is going to be downright awesome. plus the Virtual Console side of things. AND being the first day I play with the Wii controller - probably the biggest moment in my gaming history since my Amiga.

GFLPraxis
Jun 6, 2006, 03:40 PM

If the Cube had launched with Smash Bros I would have considered that the best launch ever.

I was living in Europe (Holland/the Netherlands) at the time, so I had to wait for the opportunity to have my mother pick up a Cube the next trip she took to the U.S.- by the time I got my Cube I got Rogue Leader, Super Smash Bros, and Sonic Adventure 2 with it. Was an awesome day.