PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question

hysteria
Jun 6, 2006, 11:45 AM
Why is it when I install a game like Doom 3, Call of Duty 2, Quake 4 that when I want to play it the disk needs to be inserted, all the files were copied into my apps so why does it need the disk?? And is there anyway for it not to need the disk?

Thank you.

robbieduncan
Jun 6, 2006, 11:50 AM
Copy Protection (to stop you installing it then lending the CD to your friend). There are tools out there to fool the game into thinking the CD is there but discussing them might be considered discussing piracy which is not allowed...

GFLPraxis
Jun 6, 2006, 03:37 PM
Why is it when I install a game like Doom 3, Call of Duty 2, Quake 4 that when I want to play it the disk needs to be inserted, all the files were copied into my apps so why does it need the disk?? And is there anyway for it not to need the disk?

Thank you.

You need the disk because the company doesn't trust you and wants to make sure you didn't sell the disk to someone else or borrow the disk and install it.

blitzkrieg79
Jun 6, 2006, 03:51 PM
It mostly has to do with copy protection but there are LEGAL ways (as the software that does this is LEGAL) to avoid the hassle of inserting the CDs all the time which is very useful with games. I don't know about a Mac but on the Windows side there are various programs such as Virtual CD ( http://www.virtualcd-online.com/ ) where you basically copy the entire installation on your hard drive eliminating the need for the startup CD afterwards and it works perfectly fine and better yet it performs faster as the entire game runs off your hard drive as opposed to CD-Rom Drive which is noticeably slower than HD.