PDA

View Full Version : Lots of details on Wii's web browser (Opera)

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 01:43 PM
We had an earlier thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=180471&highlight=opera) about this (from the days the Wii was still named Revolution) but a lot of new info has just surfaced… straight from the horse's mouth.

Whole interview here: Link (http://www.cubed3.com/news/5329)

Some highlights:

you will not have to buy Opera as an external item, as it will be available within Wii upon purchase
Opera browser saved on Wii's flash ROM (does not require a separate memory card)
Opera for Wii will support all the same Web standards that are included in Opera 9 for PCs and Macs
The browser will be able to surf the full net and execute applications using technologies such as AJAX
The browser can be launched in only a few seconds
Should be as easy, if not easier to navigate on Wii than on desktop
Will integrate 'unique rendering technologies' to compensate for the lower resolution of TVs
Will support the same web standards as desktop versions of the browser and include Javascript
the company declined to comment if plug-ins such as Flash will be supported

Haoshiro
Jun 6, 2006, 03:18 PM
As a web developer I can definitely say that I think Opera was the best choice for this application.

It's not the best browser out there or most compatible but it is lean and fast, and it has great mobile device support (which to me also indicates it is especially good and lower resolutions).

Bubbasteve
Jun 6, 2006, 03:25 PM
Interesting stuff...great find srobert!

GFLPraxis
Jun 6, 2006, 03:56 PM
srobert, may I copy your summary on NintendoPlayers?

Excellent find!

Dagless
Jun 6, 2006, 04:05 PM
top banana!

Hey this is actually pretty great. My gran thought about buying a laptop for her travels for 1 thing - the internet. but was always put off by computer prices. There are those other Internet set top box things but at the estimated 120 she could afford one... and play a few of the "touch generation" style games.

Online support should be standard. I'm a little surprised to see the 360 not have online, what with their epic Xbox Live and that.

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 04:22 PM
srobert, may I copy your summary on NintendoPlayers?

Excellent find!

Sure thing. Just check spelling and grammar. English is not my native language. ;)

GFLPraxis
Jun 6, 2006, 04:45 PM
It looks fine :) Thanks. It's up on our site now.

http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=327

shadowmoses
Jun 6, 2006, 05:09 PM
This is awesome Nintendo just keeps doing things right these days....really can't wait to get my hands on a Wii ;)

SHadoW

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 05:29 PM
First, a web browser, then instant messaging?

Link to Codename Revolution (http://www.codenamerevolution.com/?p=800)

Only a patent, but who knows.

Title: Messaging service for video game systems with buddy list that displays game being played

Description: A messaging system includes a web server computer and at least two video game systems. Each game system is configured to connect to the web server computer via the Internet and to communicate status data indicative of an activity engaged in by a user thereof. The web server computer generates a session file indicative of user status and the status of each of two or persons on a buddy list of the user.

zap2
Jun 6, 2006, 05:42 PM
The big N got a Opera deal with the DS to right? I gueess they really like Opera:rolleyes: When will America get Opera for the DS? Becuz i want that sooo bad(is it out in Japan ,becuz if it is i might need to import it)

Haoshiro
Jun 6, 2006, 06:45 PM
Online support should be standard. I'm a little surprised to see the 360 not have online, what with their epic Xbox Live and that.

Maybe it's because IE would be horrid to port? LOL.

That said, it could be in the pipes... they obviously have ways to expand the features (really loving the last update).

Piarco
Jun 7, 2006, 05:02 AM
The Wii just seems to be getting better and better, more features mentioned all the time - a completely reversed situation to the PS3..... and I NEVER thought that would be the case!

rosalindavenue
Jun 7, 2006, 05:47 AM
When will America get Opera for the DS? Becuz i want that sooo bad(is it out in Japan ,becuz if it is i might need to import it)

I spent some time searching for the US release date for Opera DS the other day; there have been no official press releases (in English) since February; they said "Japan in June." There has been no solid info on the US release; the impression seems to be "November." As of the day before yesterday Lik-Sang was not selling the DS browser. If anyone knows anything different let me know-- I'm dying to get a DS lite with opera.

Haoshiro
Jun 7, 2006, 06:22 AM
It looks fine :) Thanks. It's up on our site now.

http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=327

So Praxis, are you going to be making a special SDTV version of the website? :)

srobert
Jun 7, 2006, 07:08 AM
The Wii just seems to be getting better and better, more features mentioned all the time - a completely reversed situation to the PS3..... and I NEVER thought that would be the case!

To be fair, I don't see why the PS3 couldn't have a web brwser also. Sony have been saying that it will make the personal computer obsolete. (I'm very sceptic about this) One would assume that a computer replacement would at least have to be able to browse the web and acces your emails.

I gope we'le have the possibility to purchase a wireless keyboard for the Wii. I've never been a big fan of on-screen keyboards. On-screen keyboards are good enough to type in a character name but not good enough to chat with a friend.

Haoshiro
Jun 7, 2006, 08:12 AM
PS3 has been stated to have a browser as well, Phil Harrison I believe mentioned this.

I believe the post you are replying to was just meaning that positive news seems to trickle in for Wii whereas PS3 is getting a lot of negative press. I didn't take it that he mean the post about a web browser specifically (even if that is the thread Topic).

srobert
Jun 7, 2006, 09:21 AM
PS3 has been stated to have a browser as well, Phil Harrison I believe mentioned this.

I believe the post you are replying to was just meaning that positive news seems to trickle in for Wii whereas PS3 is getting a lot of negative press. I didn't take it that he mean the post about a web browser specifically (even if that is the thread Topic).

Gotcha! :)

GFLPraxis
Jun 7, 2006, 10:04 AM
So Praxis, are you going to be making a special SDTV version of the website? :)

We probably will :)

IIRC, it was because the PS3 boots Linux, which is preinstalled and has a web browser preinstalled.

I gope we'le have the possibility to purchase a wireless keyboard for the Wii.

There are USB ports...

Dagless
Jun 7, 2006, 10:45 AM
There are USB ports...

If it works with any bluetooth keyboard (likely) then I'll buy myself a fancy Apple BT keyboard for sure. PowerBook and Wii typing :)

Piarco
Jun 7, 2006, 10:47 AM

Spot on.:D

The loss of a web browser was a bit of a shame since I've made the decision not to get a PS3 for the lounge and get a Wii instead, and the news that the Wii does have one is well received by me!
I'll be watching this with interest, and I hope that plug-ins will be available for it.... there are a hell of a lot of sites that make use of Flash. I know there are usually lo-fi versions but still....

If it works with any bluetooth keyboard (likely) then I'll buy myself a fancy Apple BT keyboard for sure. PowerBook and Wii typing :)

Bluetooth compatibility would be great. I'd be more tempted to get and compact keyboard/trackpad combo though...

srobert
Jun 7, 2006, 11:48 AM

I already own an Apple wireless keyboard and it does look like a distant Wii relative. They would look so well next to each other.

Even though Iwata admires Apple, Nintendo hasn't supporter OSX for their DS wi-fi USB dongle. He're hoping we'll have better luck with the Wii.

Anybody know how standardized are the bluetooth signals of a bluetooth keyboard?

plinkoman
Jun 7, 2006, 12:52 PM
anyone know if the wiimote can/will function as a mouse in opera? It just seems natural that they would have it function like that, but I haven't seen anything mentioning it. That would be nice, I could just buy an apple bt keyboard and be done with it, not having the hassle of finding an integrated trackpad combo or always needing a table for a mouse.

paddy
Jun 7, 2006, 01:12 PM
anyone know if the wiimote can/will function as a mouse in opera? It just seems natural that they would have it function like that, but I haven't seen anything mentioning it. That would be nice, I could just buy an apple bt keyboard and be done with it, not having the hassle of finding an integrated trackpad combo or always needing a table for a mouse.

Yeah it can alright. Opera has worked closely with Nintendo to achieve a breakthrough experience, especially in terms of incorporating the revolutionary Wii remote into the browsing experience.