PDA

View Full Version : Intalling Games

macfan92
Jun 6, 2006, 02:56 PM
I just got my iMac yesterday and I have a few questions about installing games. For example, when I try to install COD2, I put the disk in, I see the COD2 icon pop up, I click on it, and then all these other weird icons pop up. That's where I get lost. Can someone please help me, I'm very confused? :confused:

calebjohnston
Jun 6, 2006, 03:29 PM
Weird icons? I don't know what COD2 is, but if you drag the main icon from that folder that pops up into your applications folder, it will install.

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 03:31 PM
I click on it, and then all these other weird icons pop up.

Sounds unusual. Maybe you could post a screenshot? (Command-shift-3)

You're using the mac version of the game, right? (Just to be sure)

macfan92
Jun 6, 2006, 03:34 PM

You're using the mac version of the game, right? (Just to be sure)

Mac version? You mean that there are mac and pc versions of games?

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 03:37 PM

Bingo!

(Except for some rare games that have both versions on the CD, like Starcraft)

Were you trying to install Call of Duty 2 in OS X with a PC version of the CD? It won't work. You could install the PC version on the Mac but only with windows insatalled. (See the bootcamp forum and guides for details).

macfan92
Jun 6, 2006, 03:39 PM
Bingo!

(Except for some rare games that have both versions on the CD, like Starcraft)

Were you trying to install Call of Duty 2 in OS X with a PC version of the CD? It won't work. You could install the PC version on the Mac but only with windows insatalled. (See the bootcamp forum and guides for details).

So where do I get these mac versions?

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 03:43 PM
So where do I get these mac versions?

PC games are used ported to the mac either by the producer or by companies specializing in Mac ports like Aspyr, Macplay and Macsoft. Most stores selling PC games won't carry the Mac versions. You should go to a store where Macs are also sold. You could also order online.

GFLPraxis
Jun 6, 2006, 03:45 PM

Yup :D

macfan92
Jun 6, 2006, 03:46 PM
PC games are used ported to the mac either by the producer or by companies specializing in Mac ports like Aspyr and Macsoft. Most stores selling PC games won't carry the Mac versions. You should go to a store where Macs are also sold. You could also order online.

Wait, I know I've heard of people playing call of duty 2 on a mac. So they must've had the mac version? Wow, I'm really starting to regret my decision to buy a mac now.......It seems rather complicted to get these mac versions.

yankeefan24
Jun 6, 2006, 03:48 PM
Wait, I know I've heard of people playing call of duty 2 on a mac. So they must've had the mac version? Wow, I'm really starting to regret my decision to buy a mac now.......It seems rather complicted to get these mac versions.

Not really. Apple sells them from store.apple.com amazon sells them as well. It would be annoying if you have alot of windows games though. That's what bootcamp is for though:D

srobert
Jun 6, 2006, 03:51 PM

Yes. There is a Mac version of Call of Duty 2. Mac games are not that hard to find. Have a look around.

If you bought a mac especially to play games, I'm sorry to say that you'll probably end up regretting it. Mac are wonderful computers but the smaller user base means that fewer games get ported. A lot of the major games get ported to the mac but sometimes months after the PC version is released. By the way, why did you swith to the mac? Just curious.

macfan92
Jun 6, 2006, 03:57 PM
Yes. There is a Mac version of Call of Duty 2. Mac games are not that hard to find. Have a look around.

If you bought a mac especially to play games, I'm sorry to say that you'll probably end up regretting it. Mac are wonderful computers but the smaller user base means that fewer games get ported. A lot of the major games get ported to the mac but sometimes months after the PC version is released. By the way, why did you swith to the mac? Just curious.

I switched to the mac b/c I heard that they are very good computers and looking on the apple site, they talked about the amazing graphics on macs so I thought, 'hey, i need a good gaming computer, maybe I should get a mac.' By the way, what is bootcamp?

MacRumorUser
Jun 6, 2006, 04:05 PM
Bootcamp is a utility on apples website. That when installed on an intel mac, will alow the user to install Windows XP on a small area (parition) of their drive. Doing this means you basically have a PC and there fore can run all your windows software including that copy of COD2 you have.

macfan92
Jun 6, 2006, 04:09 PM
Bootcamp is a utility on apples website. That when installed on an intel mac, will alow the user to install Windows XP on a small area (parition) of their drive. Doing this means you basically have a PC and there fore can run all your windows software including that copy of COD2 you have.

WOW GREAT!! Thank you so much!

ReanimationLP
Jun 6, 2006, 04:11 PM
Whats intalling? :confused:

macfan92
Jun 6, 2006, 04:38 PM
I'm reading about the bootcamp thing and I have one question. It say's that you need to have a Windows XP Home Edition CD. I have a Windows computer, but it came preinstalled w/Windows XP. So I don't have the CD obviously. I checked to see how much a CD costs. It's $190 bucks. I might as well just buy that iMac version then spend all that money for the CD. I'm starting to wonder why they say macs are "user friendly."

7on
Jun 6, 2006, 04:53 PM
I'm reading about the bootcamp thing and I have one question. It say's that you need to have a Windows XP Home Edition CD. I have a Windows computer, but it came preinstalled w/Windows XP. So I don't have the CD obviously. I checked to see how much a CD costs. It's $190 bucks. I might as well just buy that iMac version then spend all that money for the CD. I'm starting to wonder why they say macs are "user friendly."

Macs are user friendly as long as you don't want to run Windows programs. I can make DVDs 5x easier than I ever saw anyone do under Windows. That said Newegg.com sells Windows XP for $85.

GFLPraxis
Jun 6, 2006, 05:00 PM
The only reason you are having trouble is that you have a Mac and are trying to run Windows software.

If you had the Mac version of the game you'd have no trouble :)

macfan92
Jul 22, 2006, 10:43 PM
One other thing. Now I tryed to install Starcraft and that didn't work. I'm pretty sure Starcraft works on macs. Am I mistaken?

Nermal
Jul 22, 2006, 10:50 PM
You need this (http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/starcraft/patches/Mac/StarCraft_OS_X_Installer.dmg) updated installer.

penter
Jul 22, 2006, 11:42 PM

(Just to be sure)

I LOVE YOU! i didnt know that shortcut for taking screenshots. wow, i thought i had to open Grab everytime i wanted one.
thnx:)

macfan92
Jul 23, 2006, 04:51 PM
You need this (http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/starcraft/patches/Mac/StarCraft_OS_X_Installer.dmg) updated installer.

Do they make another one of those things for Diablo?

bowens
Jul 24, 2006, 07:48 AM
Do they make another one of those things for Diablo?

Diablo II yes http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/diablo2/patches/Mac/Diablo_II_Installer.dmg, but not for the original.