PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty One v.1.5 - Multiplayer problems

General D
Jun 6, 2006, 05:50 PM
Hi folks, this is my first post ever on this site. In fact, I just joined up. I've been a mac user since September of '05.

Anyhow, I just picked up Call of Duty (ONE) v. 1.5

I love the game..I can play single player and multiplayer.

What I can't do, is CREATE a game. I want to have a game with a friend of mine, (with password) but neither of us are able to create a game online. I've fiddled with the settings back and forth but nothing seems to work.

On the option: called (DEDICATED) if I select "Internet" I get forwarded to a text screen on my desktop (nothing) working.

If I select "NO". The game is created, BUT, it doesn't appear on the list of servers to join, and nobody joins my game..and the ping is "O". If I was 'online" I assume the Ping would be higher than zero.

Does anyone have any suggestions, as to how I can create a game /with password so I can play online?

Thanks

TDM21
Jun 6, 2006, 08:26 PM
Are you behind a router of some sort (dsl/cable modem with built-in ethernet)? Normally you need to forward ports through your router or modem so that the master server can see your server. (the master server is the one that broadcasts where all available servers are)

This site has the list of ports you need to forward: http://www.tmmworld.com/Default.aspx?tabid=42. Only worry about the 3 CoD ports.

If you are wanting to play on the same computer you are hosting the game on then I suggest turning dedicated off. Also, to see if you are actually being found by the master server you really need to log into CoD from another computer, preferably one that is not on your network (like you friend).

General D
Jun 6, 2006, 10:21 PM
ahhh...this is going to be a problem i think. I tried forwarding ports earlier this year so I can get onto bittorrent and was unseccessful. Yes I am under a wireless router. What if I had two computers from my own home? One running the server..the other computer I play from. Would that work? Or would I actually need another separate internet line to run the game?

I have turned Dedicated to NO nothing happens though. My buddy also can't see the game. Nor can I see his when he starts it. We both have the same problem.

I'll look into port forwarding. I also play C&C and it is so easy to set up multiplayer games. I don't understand why Call of Duty has been made so difficult. It's like they want to discourage people from playing online.

TDM21
Jun 7, 2006, 12:18 PM
ahhh...this is going to be a problem i think. I tried forwarding ports earlier this year so I can get onto bittorrent and was unseccessful. Yes I am under a wireless router. What if I had two computers from my own home? One running the server..the other computer I play from. Would that work? Or would I actually need another separate internet line to run the game?

I have turned Dedicated to NO nothing happens though. My buddy also can't see the game. Nor can I see his when he starts it. We both have the same problem.

I'll look into port forwarding. I also play C&C and it is so easy to set up multiplayer games. I don't understand why Call of Duty has been made so difficult. It's like they want to discourage people from playing online.

I say the issue probably is the port forwarding. Having 2 computers on your network (1 to play and 1 to host) won't be a problem. I've done that before I was was learning to setup a personal server. The text screen you see when you set dedicated to Internet is the game's console (much like what you see when you hit `).

The reason C&C is so easy set up is due to the fact you never have to deal with dedicated servers. A player just sets the game up and people join in; very ad-hoc. Call of Duty, on the other hand, is designed to be ran as a dedicated server so you can have total control over what the game is doing.