Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
I am having issues with my itunes library...It keeps making doubles and sometimes triples of my songs, when I only have 1 of that particular file. I delete the extra tracks and tell itunes to send them to the recycle bin, thinking that the extra songs would now be deleted from my computer. The next time I add any music to the folder and add the folder to my itunes library, all the deleted double tracks come back...it's a huge pain seeing as I have loaded all of my cds on to it, I have over 3000 songs...and almost everyone is duplicated..does anyone know what is going on?
Thanks

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Well for one, go into preferences under advanced and change it so it doesn't copy files to music library when adding them. You can also go into edit and show duplicates afterward to make sure you got them all. Afterwards, when you rip you songs, if you do it through iTunes, you shouldn't have to drag it back in to add it. It should just show up in your library. If you do it through another way, put it into a folder in your music folder and just drag the new files in, not everything. Or change it back to copy files, drag them in, then deselect copy files again, but that's the hard way.

Easiest way is to just rip via iTunes (set it to rip to MP3 instead of AAC if that's what you want).

mcdermd

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
Also make sure that you are not adding an MP3 playlist (m3u) file or else it will copy the mp3 files first, then all the songs listed in the playlist (the same mp3's again).

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
This is one of the biggest bugs in iTunes.

Really, how hard is it to recognize duplicates and not add a second listing if the song is already in the database???? It makes adding new stuff WAY harder, especially if you use shared libraries or networked drives.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
milo said:

Really, how hard is it to recognize duplicates and not add a second listing if the song is already in the database???? It makes adding new stuff WAY harder, especially if you use shared libraries or networked drives.

Which is one of the reasons I hate iTunes. If you are making a music manager, at least make it do what its supposed to, manage music! Duh!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
milo said:

Some of us like the way iTunes works, and there are times when I want duplicates in my library...

Note that the easiest way to deal with sahred libraries/networked drives is to run iTunes or another daap server on the library and just link to it in iTunes...

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.