Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
That depends on your personal opinion of it.

And maybe the opinions of others in the forums too.

Whadaya think?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I like it. I don't think it should be a given that every news story has a poll though, because sometimes they could end up being misleading or irrelevant. :)

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
I like it too - Mac Polls are often not updated very frequently, whereas News stories come in almost every weekday...

...personally, I think it does two things:

1. You can finally get rid of that 'positive' and 'negative' voting thing, as the poll replaces it (and does a better job of it, too)

2. You can quickly access people's opinions by eyeing the poll, rather than surfing through dozens of pages...

Plus, I like polls - I think they're fun...:D

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
AvSRoCkCO1067 they were my thought exactly :) I don't like reading through the pages that rumours/news produce on these forums, the polls give you a glimpse of the opinion's of the greater community. Plus it is much better than positive and negative feedback.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If this becomes commonplace, I think it would be nice to have a mechanism on the front page to show which stories have polls. Maybe next to the link to the comments, we could have a link to the poll (even though they're effectively the same place). Just a thought. :)

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I like the idea... but the options in the two above mentioned threads has been less than worthless... so that needs a bit of work, apparently... ;)

Agreed, although the choices were worded in a humorous way which I enjoyed.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I like the idea... but the options in the two above mentioned threads has been less than worthless... so that needs a bit of work, apparently... ;)

Utterly useless is what the polls are.

Absolutely stupid. In my opinion

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
Doctor Q said:
That depends on your personal opinion of it.

And maybe the opinions of others in the forums too.

Whadaya think?

Maybe we should have a poll about that?

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I kind of like the postiive/negative rating. It gives a general overview of community opinion which then gets fleshed out by the discussion that follows (which is what the forums are all about!).

I also like how entropic the positive/negative ratings are -- the urge to be contrary that it pulls from individual members.

The polls on the inside of the story might cut down on spam, I suppose.

More likely, though, they'll just give members an opinion they think they believe instead of forcing members to think out and revise their own opinion through writing, editing and posting.

I love MR because so many are so thoughtful. By suggesting "answers" or "opinions," I'm concerned that polls will reduce that thoughtfulness.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
My main concern is that every single poll you wont be able to have a choice for every opinion. Which just means you will have to have an other in every poll. therefore defeating the purpose of it. In a way

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.