PDA

View Full Version : RPG newbie...what's the fuss?

Mavimao
Jun 6, 2006, 09:53 PM
I have never played a traditional RPG in the mold of FF all the way through. (I am however a big Zelda fan, having played all but Windwaker and the CD-i versions.) I have in past years found this genre confusing and somewhat boring, but I would definitely like to try to get into it.

If anyone can give me a game to get started in this genre and perhaps give me some tips on how to enjoy it more, that'd be great. Everyone seems so in love with them and I just shake my head in confusion.

Thanks!

PS: I have a GBA, a DS lite on preorder and a Sega Genesis (and my mac, of course, with emulators)

Counterfit
Jun 6, 2006, 10:30 PM
Two words: Chrono Trigger.
You could also check out Final Fantasy 6 (released as 3 in the US.) Also, if you like RTS games (*Craft, etc.) check out Lost Magic when you get your DS. I've had it slightly over a week, and have spent over 10.5 hours playing it.

0s and 1s
Jun 7, 2006, 02:55 AM
Try Phantasy Star II on the Genesis....

Haoshiro
Jun 7, 2006, 06:38 AM
Chrono Trigger is for the SNES and I would recommend it.

Perhaps even Secret of Mana, Illusions of Gaia, or Terranigma. All SNES and all more action/puzzle RPGs then standard menus ala CT and FF.

Phantasy Star is all there really is on Genesis except for perhaps Shining Force which is a Strategy RPG. Fire Emblem on the GBA really reminds me of Shining Force. And if you like Zelda you might like Beyond Oasis on Genesis as well.

But what you really might like to try, even though they aren't extremely traditional, is the Mario & Luigi RPGs on GBA and DS! Super Mario RPG on SNES is also great and from Square, the FF company.

As far as enjoying them, well, everyone has their preferences and there are so many different styles of RPG. Essentially what RPG means in terms of video games is Stat Building. You have a character or multiple characters that grow more powerful as you progress through the game.

Menu-driven RPGs like FF really should have a strategic element to them, many of them don't. I myself have not really been able to find an RPG that strikes a perfect balance, although Chrono Trigger is probably the closest.

Usually your stuck with one of two reasons to play an RPG: You like the story and characters and want to get to the ending, or because the stat building and battles are so fun (gameplay).

One series that has the gameplay down to me is the Grandia Series, it's just so fun even if the story is mostly laughable! On the Story side of games, I have never seen a game that topped Xenogears on the original PlayStation. But you will be reading a lot!

My top two favorite RPGs are Xenogears and Chrono Trigger, no contest.

mrgreen4242
Jun 7, 2006, 07:49 AM
I'm not a huge "traditional" RPG fan either. I prefer the action/adventure RPG (like Zelda) as well. But, some of the more traditional or in-between genre games I would recommend:

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA) - 10/10
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (DS) - 8.5/10
Final Fantasy 3 (the US 3 - 6 for Japan I think) (SNES) - 8/10
Secret of Mana (SNES) - 8.5/10 * Probably closest to the Zelda games

Games that I hear are great, but haven't played (yet - these are my "to play" RPG list):

Paper Mario: 1000 Year Door (GC) - borrowing form a friend after he's done with it
Chrono Trigger (SNES) - will get on VC once I get a Wii
Paper Mario RPG (N64) - see above :)

I'd say pickup M&L:SS for your GBA now, and follow up with Partners in Time when your DS comes in. Get a Wii in the winter and play the rest on that. :)

Dagless
Jun 7, 2006, 10:50 AM
I don't want to sound too brash but forget what everyone else said for now.

you probably want a trainer RPG that follows the common RPG style. like;

-Golden Sun (GBA). Cut down elements, but still a rock solid and epic game. Possibly the most action orientated, TBS RPG I've played.
-Pokemon (GB and GBA. Very easy to get into. Has elemental types, levelling up etc.
-Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga (GBA and DS). Again, not much to it but still very fun. Works very similar to most RPG's barring the "action" way of making attacks stronger and defending.

Then look into the big boys. If you're unsure just start simple and see where that gets you. Big boys being the Final Fantasy's, Tales of Phantasia (Which I say beats FF7 by a little margin) etc.

2nyRiggz
Jun 7, 2006, 02:52 PM
I'm not a big RPG gamer but the ones i did enjoy was:

Chrono Trigger
All the paper marios

thats it....thats my list...go away now:)

Bless

harveypooka
Jun 7, 2006, 04:06 PM
Fallout and Fallout 2

Both made by Interplay (now gone bust :() set in a post apocalyptic wasteland. If you like anything that's neo 50's, full of great storyline, humour and violence (I think the box advertised cutting people in half like a blood sausage) - get these games. Me and my mates still talk and joke about it today. If you do play - watch out for Ian's burst mode and keep Dogmeat ALIVE!

ZoomZoomZoom
Jun 8, 2006, 05:30 AM
Two words: Chrono Trigger.

One word: Amen.

Well, Chrono Trigger + Tales of Phantasia. Hands down, two games required for anyone who loves RPGs.

FleurDuMal
Jun 8, 2006, 05:39 AM
Not being much of a gamer, I'm not sure whether this is technically an RPG, but Shenmue on the Dreamcast was a fantastic game. Perhaps this is more action than RPG? Anyway, in my mind I always thought of it as an RPG. Jade Empire on the Xbox is also along the same lines - but thats probably even less of an RPG and even more action :confused:

Just forget I ever posted :p

Pancake
Jun 8, 2006, 06:13 AM
My favorite RPG for the SNES is Illusion of Gaia. It's worth checking out.

risc
Jun 8, 2006, 06:47 AM
If I was going to play a role playing game today there would only be 1 choice Elders Scrolls IV: Oblivion! Oh wait I am playing it... imho Oblivion is enough of a reason to buy a 360 or a PC if you don't have one or the other already. ;)

DougTheImpaler
Jun 8, 2006, 10:13 AM
What, no love for Final Fantasy VI? There's nothing better in my book. :D

Haoshiro
Jun 8, 2006, 10:21 AM
FF VI is my fave FF, but CT beats it... especially for RPG newbies

DougTheImpaler
Jun 8, 2006, 10:23 AM
I liked CT, I'm not saying that it's bad at all. In fact, I loved everything out of Square in the 1991-1996 range. FF IV, VI, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore (really, I did enjoy it!)...maybe I have a sentimental thing for FF VI...it was my first RPG ever.

Haoshiro
Jun 8, 2006, 10:43 AM
Of me too, I played FF6 before CT and always loved it. It is the BEST FF game of the series I think.

Somehow when Square went 3D I really think the games lost something and I'm not sure why. Maybe it was because they wanted to focus on CG cutscenes, etc. I like good CG clips as much as the next person, but I often feel they shout "here is what your game doesn't look like, yes, it sucks" heh :)

tjmcardl
Jun 8, 2006, 10:57 AM
I have never played a traditional RPG in the mold of FF all the way through. (I am however a big Zelda fan, having played all but Windwaker and the CD-i versions.) I have in past years found this genre confusing and somewhat boring, but I would definitely like to try to get into it.

This pretty much describes how I've always felt about RPGs too. With that in mind, I recommend Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. It took me awhile to get the hang of the fighting and leveling up systems, but it has a great story and was great fun to play! Certainly better than the recent movies. :D

-Tim

sikkinixx
Jun 8, 2006, 11:17 AM
i still have never understood why FFVI is so popular, imho its the worst of the series, welll....maybe not worse than FFX.

Although its not really an RPG i would go for Final Fantasy Tactics, it has a steep learning curve but its one of those games that people have put hundreds of hours on and still play over and over. Obviously FFVII is kind of the status quo of RPG's, not the best game maybe but there is something about it that keeps a crap load of people playing it.

I second the recommendation of the Fallouts, they are the best computer RPG's hands down. and although more Turn based strategy than RPG Heroes of Might and Magic II and III are amazing for the PC.

Still into strategy Disgaea is great for PS2, very long, funny story and very well polished game. Have to like saving up though, lots of random battles to fight in order to get the most out of the game.

Phantasy Star IV beats out II any day, its short (just like CT) but is a great game. Or maybe im just bias because it was my first RPG...

Check out games made by Atlus, Square, Enix, Sony, Bioware (KOTOR) and hmmm there must be more...

Haoshiro
Jun 8, 2006, 12:40 PM
FF6, imo, had a good story, great characters, some of the best graphics in a SNES RPG, and an even more refined battle system.

Compared to the previous FF games I don't see one that beat it out, FF1 may have defined the genre but it certainly had nothing on FF6.

FF7, to me, was so popular because it introduced a new generation of video gamers to RPGs. Many new people were turned gamers on the PS1 and FF7 was right there for them. I personally thought it had bad production values and just really did not have the personality present in FF6, or much at all actually. Not that the story was bad, it really wasn't, it just didn't have the FF charm I felt the others did.

Don't get me started on FF8... FF9, now that felt more like a return to the feeling and charm I associated with FF. And that wasn't really because of the theme, nor the short midget characters (which I did feel was unnecessary).

DougTheImpaler
Jun 8, 2006, 12:58 PM
Although its not really an RPG i would go for Final Fantasy Tactics, it has a steep learning curve but its one of those games that people have put hundreds of hours on and still play over and over. Obviously FFVII is kind of the status quo of RPG's, not the best game maybe but there is something about it that keeps a crap load of people playing it.

If we're going to open this up to tactical strat RPG's, there are piles of games better than FF:T. Shining Force 1, 2, 3, and CD...Disagaea: Hour of Darkness, La Pucelle: Tactics, Ogre Tactics, just to name a few.

ChrisBrightwell
Jun 8, 2006, 12:59 PM
If anyone can give me a game to get started in this genre and perhaps give me some tips on how to enjoy it more, that'd be great. [...] I have a GBA, a DS lite on preorder and a Sega Genesis (and my mac, of course, with emulators)Here are a few of the more accessible RPGs to try:
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
- Mario & Luigi 2: Partners in Time (DS)
- Super Mario RPG (SNES)

They're very Mario-centric (obviously), but they're well worth the time spent playing them. They're not as difficult or as intimidating as the more 'mature' RPGs and have enough wit to be interesting.

Final Fantasy -- esp. after VII -- becomes painful for me. Most of the Japanese RPGs are just a bit over the top, as well.

If you don't care for Mario and friends, try Golden Sun and Golden Sun 2, both for the GBA.

ChrisBrightwell
Jun 8, 2006, 01:04 PM
If we're going to open this up to tactical strat RPG's, there are piles of games better than FF:T. Shining Force 1, 2, 3, and CD...Disagaea: Hour of Darkness, La Pucelle: Tactics, Ogre Tactics, just to name a few.Advance Wars?

Haoshiro
Jun 8, 2006, 01:09 PM
Advance Wars?

Fire Emblem :)

DougTheImpaler
Jun 8, 2006, 01:33 PM
never played advance wars (never had a GBA) so i have no idea. Heard good things about it though.

smwatson
Jun 8, 2006, 01:37 PM
advance wars is fantastic

sikkinixx
Jun 8, 2006, 01:50 PM
If we're going to open this up to tactical strat RPG's, there are piles of games better than FF:T. Shining Force 1, 2, 3, and CD...Disagaea: Hour of Darkness, La Pucelle: Tactics, Ogre Tactics, just to name a few.

are you kidding? La Pucelle was a joke in comparison to Disgaea. The Shining Force's were awesome. FFT still holds #1 in my books...even though it copies Tactics Ogre but still! Front Mission 4 was better than La Pucelle....

DougTheImpaler
Jun 8, 2006, 02:14 PM
are you kidding? La Pucelle was a joke in comparison to Disgaea. The Shining Force's were awesome. FFT still holds #1 in my books...even though it copies Tactics Ogre but still! Front Mission 4 was better than La Pucelle....
La Pucelle was developed before Disgaea (Prier was actually in Disgaea, if you dug deep enough into it), and while Disgaea is a better game, La Pucelle is still very good. If you want an example of a joke, look at Phantom Brave. Note its absence from my list. ;)

Dagless
Jun 8, 2006, 02:37 PM
Strategy RPG?

Fire Emblem gets my vote.

myshoeshurt
Jun 8, 2006, 03:46 PM
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of turn-based RPG's either... but I was absolutely hooked on the Super Mario RPG series. All of the games, including Partners in Time and Paper Mario. They're super fun, and pretty laugh-out-loud funny at some points. And the turn-based fighting style still allows for some interaction from the player... you have to perform certain actions with the controller to do combo's etc.

Oh and, YES, Chrono Trigger.

XNine
Jun 8, 2006, 05:17 PM
wow, not even one person even mentioned Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete for the PSX. That by far owns any FF game. Graphics aren't groundbreaking, but the story and implementation is great.

Counterfit
Jun 8, 2006, 07:26 PM
I would also like to add my support for Secret of Mana and FFVI. I've a bit about Shenmue recently, so I guess I'll find a way to try it out some time.

Haoshiro
Jun 8, 2006, 08:13 PM
wow, not even one person even mentioned Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete for the PSX. That by far owns any FF game. Graphics aren't groundbreaking, but the story and implementation is great.

Probably because that was originally a Saturn title before coming to PSX (and Sega CD before that)... perhaps that caused it to get overlooked.

Good thing they brought it to the PSX... I mean, PS1/PS2/PS3 can play that, but who has a Saturn? Probably the same people who also have Panzer Dragoon Saga. ;)