PDA

View Full Version : Why the MacBook (etc) is NOT a gaming machine.

blackout8
Jun 7, 2006, 03:10 AM
http://www.macobserver.com/columns/hiddendimensions/2006/20060605.shtml

Makes sence to me... and honestly, i've decided to switch to mac (MacBook soon :D ) deliberatly because they are fantastic for non-gaming aplications i.e. Music and Video creation tools. I've played my fair share of PC games (hell i'm 17 what do ya expect) but i can always use my xbox when i feel the need, which fwiw is becoming less and less...

anyway before i REALLY go off on a rant tangent (rantgent:rolleyes: ) i'll stop.

food for thought.

P.S. Sure it would be nice if the MB had an x1900 with 512MB which self cooled itself and the CPU, but thats not going to happen ;)

MacRumorUser
Jun 7, 2006, 06:42 AM
[url]P.S. Sure it would be nice if the MB had an x1900 with 512MB which self cooled itself and the CPU, but thats not going to happen ;)

And was 1/2 inch thick, with a 1680x1050 resolution, blu-ray burner and 26 hour battery life, and only cost $50 more BTO :D :D :D :D

lewion
Jun 7, 2006, 08:26 AM
And was 1/2 inch thick, with a 1680x1050 resolution, blu-ray burner and 26 hour battery life, and only cost $50 more BTO :D :D :D :D
hehe, i'll buy it right off :d

jaxstate
Jun 7, 2006, 09:06 AM
I think he's off on most accounts. I work in the professional field, and more than half are gamers. I think people confuse what people do for a living with what they do in their spare time. It's silly for someone to suggest that if a person buys a MBP they should be doing video editing, and if a person buys a MB they should only be surfing the net and word processing. A big thumb down to this article.

blackout8
Jun 7, 2006, 08:40 PM
I think he's off on most accounts. I work in the professional field, and more than half are gamers. I think people confuse what people do for a living with what they do in their spare time. It's silly for someone to suggest that if a person buys a MBP they should be doing video editing, and if a person buys a MB they should only be surfing the net and word processing. A big thumb down to this article.

yeah ok i'll conceed that i do agree with you there - i guess the question is why not make a machine that can do it all? ... I think the MB's are great as they are, for me at least, as it fits perfectly into my price range (poor uni student) and has almost as much power as the 'pro' machines. BUT I can definately see a niche that Apple is igniring... I wouldn't buy a 13.3 MBP simply because I can't afford it and I guess thats apples idea behind the MB - power and affordability - that said however if I could afford it I would certainly get a dedicated graphics card in the MB. (Or just hope like hell that either by some freak of nature civ 4 will run well in my MB with 1GB of ram, or it gets released along with a keyboard and mouse for the 360)

sam10685
Jun 7, 2006, 08:54 PM

that kinda stuff's going to be reality a few years on down the road.

MacRumorUser
Jun 8, 2006, 07:26 AM
that kinda stuff's going to be reality a few years on down the road.

But in a few years time the power of desktops will mean they will be walking around, screaming at us to clean their dirty slots and bashing us over the head with old macbook discarded gpu circuit boards :D :D :D :D Or maybe not :o

7on
Jun 8, 2006, 07:34 AM
haha, the Macbook not a gaming machine? please! Yesterday I got Final Fantasy VIII running on it and boy is it beautiful ;-)

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 8, 2006, 07:45 AM
A very interesting read from a Apple Engineer. Looks to me like a lot of Spin and B.S. on gaming from Apple. Anyone read the article? Perhaps thats why the new commercials has two guys holding hands:rolleyes: Integrated graphics are what they are,inexpensive and good for most things but not new AAA games.

gammamonk
Jun 8, 2006, 07:55 AM
haha, the Macbook not a gaming machine? please! Yesterday I got Final Fantasy VIII running on it and boy is it beautiful ;-)

I've never played Final Fantasy, so can I ask you to confirm or deny sarcasm? Cuz, I think FF is up to XII or something.

bokdol
Jun 8, 2006, 08:16 AM

and how are youplaying ff 8 on your mac? are you using boot camp?

also ff 8 is mad old and based off ps one graphics. so if it could be played on any new machine, it should play beautifully. :o

neoelectronaut
Jun 8, 2006, 08:20 AM
I'd just like to know how Rayman 3, No One Lives Forever, American McGee's Alice, and the two Jedi games fair.

PlaceofDis
Jun 8, 2006, 09:11 AM
^ makes me want to play Alice. i love that game.

and hasn't this topic been beaten to death already? :confused:

Stridder44
Jun 8, 2006, 09:24 AM
and how are youplaying ff 8 on your mac? are you using boot camp?

also ff 8 is mad old and based off ps one graphics. so if it could be played on any new machine, it should play beautifully. :o

No I remember it came out for the PC a while back. But ya your right about it running off ps one graphics...

dmw007
Jun 8, 2006, 09:36 AM

I would buy one in a nanosecond! :)

bokdol
Jun 8, 2006, 12:24 PM
No I remember it came out for the PC a while back. But ya your right about it running off ps one graphics...

ahh so it have to be bootcamp..

will i was hoping it was a ps one emulator the worked really well. wanted to play all my old ps one game on my mac. oh well i guess i will have to stick to my ps2

sam10685
Jun 9, 2006, 02:37 AM
But in a few years time the power of desktops will mean they will be walking around, screaming at us to clean their dirty slots and bashing us over the head with old macbook discarded gpu circuit boards :D :D :D :D Or maybe not :o

i really hope computers don't learn to walk and try to kill us.