PDA

View Full Version : Crysis

MacRumorUser
Jun 7, 2006, 11:57 AM
http://xbox360.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/52416_cry2.jpg

What a Quad SLI graphic array can do for you today :D :D :D

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 7, 2006, 12:06 PM
Impressive as all heck for sure, Im sure you wont need to have 4 sli cards to run this and make it look good, just a decent graphics card though i will admit decent graphics are far and few between in the Mac world. Crysis has had some excellent reviews from what people have seen of it. PC gamer magazine says its awesome and from those photo's i would agree. I still think Far Cry was one of the best FPS games to come out in a long time and its free roaming was superior to HL2/Doom3/F.E.A.R. move along the path please.

MacRumorUser
Jun 7, 2006, 12:12 PM
Unfortunetly the machines they are demoing and showing off shots like this so far have all been Quad SLI. They say as development progresses they will be able to optimise performance, BUT!!! to get anything looks as good or as close to these screenshots, or the ones that will be flooding the net and pc magazines, were still talking of either SLI Geforce or Crossfire ATI setup with 2 of the top graphics cards needed.

Lets hope that the 1 thing apple do get right, is the option of SLI/Crossfire on the Mac Pro

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 7, 2006, 12:17 PM
I would bet it still looks terrific even on a single low life card like My 6800GT. Its suppose to be the first DX10 game for the PC and is suppose to be released 4th qtr of 2006. And no this wont play on any Macbook or Mini;)

MacRumorUser
Jun 7, 2006, 12:26 PM
CryTek say 4th Fiscal quarter 2006, which is actually March time 2007- so it will hit with Vista & DX10 in theory. But hey if its like S.T.A.L.K.E.R we could be talking 2097 :D

A port to PS3 and Xbox360 is inevitable, even if it's the end of 2007.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 7, 2006, 12:34 PM
Im looking forward to Vista for this game and for the new Flight Simulator thats coming out. I guess DX10 is a integral part of Vista. Meanwhile Apple is trying hard to ignore the TV and Gaminghttp://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=13531

jaxstate
Jun 7, 2006, 12:35 PM
Wow, this is great looking. I seen the Demo while watching E3 coverage. I think this as the best looking game on the floor.

Abulia
Jun 7, 2006, 12:35 PM
I'd kill for a flight sim built on this engine. :eek:

Dagless
Jun 7, 2006, 12:41 PM
Good old Crytek. FarCry 2 will no doubt be spectacular, especially if it's similar to FarCry 1's gameplay.

2 probs though, and they really are nit picking.

The clouds look too similar in the top shot. and the grass looks very fake in the bottom shot.
another problem is with the lighting in the bottom shot. Look at the shadow for the leaf on the side of the hut, it's very different to the pitch black inside the hut. In the computer shot the leaf is a lot darker.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 7, 2006, 01:03 PM
Good old Crytek. FarCry 2 will no doubt be spectacular, especially if it's similar to FarCry 1's gameplay.

2 probs though, and they really are nit picking.

The clouds look too similar in the top shot. and the grass looks very fake in the bottom shot.
another problem is with the lighting in the bottom shot. Look at the shadow for the leaf on the side of the hut, it's very different to the pitch black inside the hut. In the computer shot the leaf is a lot darker.
I kind of thought the same until I watched the trailer, everything is real meaning every leaf moves, and as you walk up to it becomes more life like if you will. The trailer i saw showed this guy shooting up the forest, leaves were falling and so were the tree's. Just like in real life. Timber! And falling trees can kill in this game. In essence a real enviroment for you to play through.

Dagless
Jun 7, 2006, 01:50 PM
trailer?!

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 7, 2006, 02:08 PM
Here is one placehttp://incrysis.com/

Haoshiro
Jun 7, 2006, 04:49 PM
I'd like to point out that Crysis is not Far Cry 2. Far Cry as an IP was bought by Ubisoft (no longer owned by Crytek). Ubisoft is working on Far Cry 2 while Crytek is making Crysis, which EA is publishing.

As for the comparison shots, the only thing I thought they could have improved was the grass in the hut shot. There is just too much "clean" dirt (nothing growing in it) and not enough grass variance. It is really the only unrealistic standout.

I don't think the lighting or clouds are something to complain about. The clouds don't match, true, but they could still pass for real clouds I think. And the lighting has more to do with the render mode, reminds me of Paradise mode in Far Cry. Basically there is a high contrast making the brights brighter, the lows (shadows) darker, and all the colors more vivid. What I would describe as "surreal"; so this feels like it has more to do with art direction then improper lighting, they've upped the contrast to give it that look in purpose.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 7, 2006, 04:52 PM
When is Far Cry 2 coming for the PC?

Haoshiro
Jun 7, 2006, 04:54 PM
As far as I know they (Ubisoft) haven't had any official announcement yet.

Dagless
Jun 7, 2006, 04:59 PM
silly me, i thought it was FarCry 2.

One more thing. I think the mountains in the computer shot look very fake. Just the shape.

Haoshiro
Jun 7, 2006, 05:06 PM
One more thing. I think the mountains in the computer shot look very fake. Just the shape.

Well mountains do happen to be dirt, which can be formed into nearly any shape... but perhaps there seems to be too much repetition on the right side?

MacRumorUser
Jun 7, 2006, 05:37 PM
So when is the GBA version coming out :D

kuyu
Jun 7, 2006, 05:37 PM
WOW. That's amazing. Not quite photo-realistic, but closer than anything else I've seen.

I hate to do it Apple but my next computer will be a home built, dual-core, quad-SLI, Vista Media Center machine networked through my 360... Damn you Microsoft and your killer apps. damn you.:cool:

That's apple's main fault. I'd LOVE a powermac to go with this powerbook, but for the money I can build twice the machine and upgrade it along the way.

Off topic: I just realized that PS3 isn't just competing with the Wii and the 360. At that price range they're competing against Vista gaming rigs too. It's official, Sony's pinched.

Haoshiro
Jun 7, 2006, 06:18 PM
Also an interesting reaction... I wonder how many people will buy or build Vista rigs because of the tight integration with 360? I jsut gave up PCs but admit that does seem pretty attractive... not enough to pull me away, but still a tantalizing proposition! :)

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 7, 2006, 06:34 PM
WOW. That's amazing. Not quite photo-realistic, but closer than anything else I've seen.

I hate to do it Apple but my next computer will be a home built, dual-core, quad-SLI, Vista Media Center machine networked through my 360... Damn you Microsoft and your killer apps. damn you.:cool:

That's apple's main fault. I'd LOVE a powermac to go with this powerbook, but for the money I can build twice the machine and upgrade it along the way.

Off topic: I just realized that PS3 isn't just competing with the Wii and the 360. At that price range they're competing against Vista gaming rigs too. It's official, Sony's pinched.Bingo, after almost 20 yrs of Mac I did that and like you said the upgrades are coming. Carmack said the New consoles still cant match a high end Pc. Apple needs to wake up from their lets hold hands stuff.:D

Haoshiro
Jun 7, 2006, 06:52 PM
But honestly, saying a $400 proprietary box can be beat by a $2000+ tower is really a no brainer.

In the end that doesn't even matter though, because most developers target a lowest common denominator for their games which means old/cheap PCs still impose a limitation. Console developers do not have this limitation and can exploit the system fully without worrying about people possibly using a lower speced system.

You can get systems with 4-8 64-bit processors and 16-32GB of RAM, and that will obviously beat out a top-end PC... but again, that doesn't really matter. And you'll be lucky to (ie: never) find a developer that is actually going to develop anything with that as their low-spec entry level.

That said, Crysis sure is pretty. I wonder how much (or if) that would need reduced to run on a 360/PS3.