Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacBidouille posts instructions on how to boot OS 9 on the current PowerMacs.

MacNews.net.tc provides english translation:

- Install Tinkertool
- Make all folders visible
- Relaunch the Finder
- Insert the Restore CD 1 and click on '.images'
- Double-click on OS9General.dmg
- Copy the System Folder to your harddrive
- Reboot.

Note: this is untested as far as I am aware. Use at your own risk, but post any positive or negative results.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
hmmm...I'm willing to bet that this *might* void your warranty :). But, I'm interested in hearing people's results.

*NOTE* - This post is only a joke. DO NOT take it seriously. There is no evidence this will void your warranty. But, some people don't see the humor.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
It'll make somebody happy, but If Apple says they shouldn't do it, then I'd be a little bit leary of rebooting into 9 after completing the process. If you couldn't restart using the "x" on the keyboard, (assuming the rom wouldn't need that, and apple dropped it) and if 9 couldn't restart, how would you get back to ten? The Jaguar Cd?:rolleyes:

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
That was pretty quick actually. I thought it might have taken longer to figure out how to do this. It also seems pretty easy (for what it is actually doing). I might give it a go, but I don't have a new Powermac. :(

brossow

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2002
Originally posted by RBMaraman
hmmm...I'm willing to bet that this *might* void your warranty. But, I'm interested in hearing people's results.

The hell you say? Installing software is going to void your warranty? Uh, yeah. Right.

All sarcasm aside, let me make one thing perfectly clear: installing software, unsupported or otherwise, WILL NOT VOID YOUR HARDWARE WARRANTY. (Screwing with the firmware may be another story, but that's not what we're talking about here.)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I haven't tried it, but I think the "Install Tinkertool/Make all folders visible" steps are unnecessary. Just choose "Go to Folder" from the Go menu and type /Volumes/Restore/.images into the box (substitute the restore CD's volume name for "Restore").

I don't see this as voiding the warranty. In the worst-case situation, just reinstall Jaguar.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
ok boys, ill be the guinnea pig. ill try it on my firewire hard drive first, if that doesnt work ill try it on my main system. it will be later tonight but i will confirm for you guys. if it works ill try it on my 12 inch powerbook.

iJon

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
but on a second note, i dont see why this would work. new macs already have system 9 on there, my new powermac does and my new powerbook does. so what would copying a dupe of the system help you any. what the hell though, ill try it. but if you ask me, this doesnt make to much sense.

iJon

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
Ok, I'm going to add my $0.02 worth to this. Why would someone want to boot into OS-9 if they went out and bought a new computer? I would think that those who still use OS-9 wouldn't buy anything new, until the software that they need is ported to OS-X.
I use OS-X exclusively, I've only started Classic a few times. I may be a new Mac user, but my PowerBook came with OS-9 and used that as my primary computer that way for almost a year before I decided to move to OS-X - at that time it was at version 10.1.3. I now use 10.2, and have no software that uses OS-9, because I upgraded everything that I use at the same time.
Like I said, this is just my $0.02, so if you feel the need, go ahead and start the flames.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by Billicus
It'll make somebody happy, but If Apple says they shouldn't do it, then I'd be a little bit leary of rebooting into 9 after completing the process. If you couldn't restart using the "x" on the keyboard, (assuming the rom wouldn't need that, and apple dropped it) and if 9 couldn't restart, how would you get back to ten? The Jaguar Cd?:rolleyes:

If that were to happen I'm pretty sure you could just manually restart the computer and hold down the "option" key. This should bring up a menu that shows what available OS's to boot into...you could just select X and be back up and running.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
if this works, it might also be reasonable that a non-oem os 9 might work, But I assume that it is a firmware option that disables booting OS 9, not the install. So it would be a bad idea for it to litteraly downgrade your firmware. who knows though, from what I have been told, the reason they need to drop OS 9 support, is because the OS is so old that Apple has to cripple the hardware for the os to work.

Then again, I am no expert.... I would be curious to hear the long-term results.

IMHO, you are wasting your money on a new machine if you plan to use 9 on it, since it can't take full advantage of it.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Two things here.

Apple trimmed the boot ROM, so no matter what you do short of a logic board swap, or at least switching the ROM (which is next to impossible), nothing is going to allow the new machines to boot into OS 9. The logic board does not support it.

On the subject of switching back, holding down the shift key does not tell you what OS's you have installed on the drive. It only shows the currently selected OS for each drive or partition you have on your system.

JW

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If this works, at the very least you probably won't have access to the firewire 800 port (slight chance it'll work like a firewire 400 port) and you won't have drivers for Airport Extreme.

And the SuperDrive might not be recognized as an Apple SuperDrive under OS 9 since it's a new vendor.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: Boot OS 9 on new PowerMacs?

Originally posted by Macrumors
Note: this is untested as far as I am aware. Use at your own risk, but post any positive or negative results.

lol :D yea, keep us posted. sorry, i just thought
it was funny about the request for results :D
i bet it'll be fine, sorta cool too.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
ok i tried it. it didnt work. whoever thought of this was an idiot. all new macs come with os 9 preinstalled, dont why he thought throwing another copy on there would work. its the hardware boys, apple isnt that dumb. who cares anyways, os 9 sucked, just as bad as win 98.

iJon

weev

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Leave OS9 alone - it's a great OS. All you people see something new and all of a sudden the current is old and decrepid.

I am going to love 9.2 until the very day, and not a moment earlier, that I can afford a fast OS X machine:p

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by weev
Leave OS9 alone - it's a great OS. All you people see something new and all of a sudden the current is old and decrepid.

I am going to love 9.2 until the very day, and not a moment earlier, that I can afford a fast OS X machine:p
may be fast, but in my opinion thats all it was good for. ive never had so many force quits, lock ups, bomb errors, and all that stuff in my life. thats probably why i refuse to use anything other than os x. but hey, if its working for you than thats fantastic, i hope you can get a new mac soon and enjoy the wonders of x.

iJon

Lupin Addams

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2003
Why would someone want to boot into OS-9 if they went out and bought a new computer? [/B][/QUOTE]

Here's one reason to boot in 9...

There's a long-standing glitch Apple have not fixed, where FTP and some other net services will not function in OS X through a proxy server (there's a lot of threads on this on the Apple discussions group), but *will* function from a 9 boot... the main reason (other than cost!!) that I won't be updating my battered old TiBook 550 anytime soon.

It would be nice if Apple had checked for sort of thing before consigning 9 to the scrapheap...

So if anyone does come up with a working 9 boot, some of us will want it.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by Lupin Addams
Why would someone want to boot into OS-9 if they went out and bought a new computer?
Here's one reason to boot in 9...

There's a long-standing glitch Apple have not fixed, where FTP and some other net services will not function in OS X through a proxy server (there's a lot of threads on this on the Apple discussions group), but *will* function from a 9 boot... the main reason (other than cost!!) that I won't be updating my battered old TiBook 550 anytime soon.

It would be nice if Apple had checked for sort of thing before consigning 9 to the scrapheap...

So if anyone does come up with a working 9 boot, some of us will want it.

15" TiBooks still boot 9 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.