PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook question

Heart Break Kid
Feb 22, 2003, 07:29 PM
since the 17" PB comes with a Geforce 440...

would it be possible to later on purchase a ati raidon 9000 (which from what i hear is better) and install it in the 17" PB?

has anyone ever done something similar?
also i was wondering, if they do come out with a faster prosessor, say in a years time...would it be possible to get the new chip put in an older powerbook?

ie. take the 15" 1ghz and upgrade to a 1.25 if its available?

im new to the mac
so dont shoot me if this sounds dumb

FelixDerKater
Feb 22, 2003, 07:43 PM
I have not had the opportunity to open up an AlumiBook 17", but in the TiBooks, the processor and GPU were soldered onto the logic board. I would assume the same to be true about the new Aluminum notebooks. Apple wants you to have to drop a few thousand for a new system, not buy an upgrade for a few hundred dollars in order to extend the life of your system.

Pismo
Feb 22, 2003, 08:03 PM
Which graphics chip is better? The ATI 9000 or the NVidea 440 Go? As for upgrading the graphics chip, I have no idea if it's
been done before on a laptop such as the PowerBook. If I could easily increase the amount of video RAM in my Pismo from 8 MB to 16 or 32, that would be sweet.

Goblin2099
Feb 22, 2003, 10:08 PM
Sorry guys, it's impossible to upgrade the graphics card on a laptop. The only marketed attempt at something of that sort was a PCMCIA based graphics card, but it didn't work out too well (not to mention the fact that it's several generations behind whatever you'd be using).

I'm pretty sure the nVidia 440 Go is faster than the ATI.

If you want to increase the clockspeed on your powerbook, same problem with videocard, you can't upgrade. Although, if you're the daring type, you could probably overclock it. I know the 400/500mhz laptops can be OC'ed to 550mhz, not sure about anything since then. Either way, OCing a laptop is pretty dumb, seeing as it'll create lots of excess heat.

That's really the downside of getting a laptop: no expandability. But all things considered, I loves me my 500mhz TiBook.

etoiles
Feb 22, 2003, 10:50 PM
have you seen how thin the new 17" is ? Your standard connector in a desktop PC is thicker than that...well, almost.

But it would indeed be nice to have a better choice when it comes to graphic cards, maybe as BTO.

TyleRomeo
Feb 23, 2003, 12:48 AM
you know what the point is that both cards are pretty damn close. and even if you could do it why would you hassle with so much work for no visible difference.

Tyler

rainman::|:|
Feb 23, 2003, 03:52 AM
if you sell your system after 1-2 years, you can buy a brand new one for around the cost of a new processor and a video card. then you get the bonus like faster bus speed, hardware revisions, and you're always under warranty...

pnw