Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i've been trying to do the VPC hack that was mentioned here a while back, but i haven't had any luck so far. for those of you who don't know the hack, here it is:

If you need to REALLY run Windows 95 at it's fastest on your Mac, do this with VPC: On another partition create a bare bones System (sorry, without another partition, this will not work), remove EVERY extension except the Appearance extension, and every control panel except the Appearance control panel. Then move the VPC preference file into the new System's preference folder. Also move the VirtualPC app itself into the System folder. Remove the Finder from the System, throw it in the trash and delete it. Use ResEdit to change the VPC app's 'creator' code to MACS and 'type' to FNDR. Then rename VirtualPC™ to Finder. Then reboot holding down "ShiftOption-Command-Delete", this will force your Mac to boot from a System other than your startup disk. !!DO NOT CHANGE THE STARTUP DISK IN THE STARTUP DISK CONTROL PANEL!! If you do, it will be murder trying to get it to boot back to MacOS. Now what you have is Windows 95 booting instead of MacOS, and the performance increase is more than double! Alas, you will not be able to use the MacOS while you are running VPC like this, but you WILL still be able to share ANY Mac folder!, but if you NEED to use Win95, this is the best way to do it Now to get back to the MacOS, just quite VPC as normal, saving it where you left off, and then once it has saved the data to the disc, you just force-restart "Control-Command-PowerKey", and your Mac will safely boot back to MacOS. BTW, all networking is STILL available from the PC using it this way, it's great! On my 8500/180 I am getting speeds that my PC loving friend says are faster than his 200MMX, so believe me, it kicks ***! If you want to play games on VPC, this is the way to do it.

the problem i'm having is that i'm not sure what prefrences & extensions i have to remove, or if any have to be removed at all. also, i'm not sure what exactly you're supposed to do in ResEdit.

if someone could tell me where to find the 'creator' code and 'type' then that would be a big help.:)

i know there's a few here who have sucessfully done it, and your help would be much appreciated. :)

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
ok, to save alot of hassle, this will help

Here is a link to a hacked VPC finder I made to install it just drag it into your OS9 system folder. Making sure you backup the original finder from OS9......

once thatd done boot holding option select your OS9 paritition and boot from it. simple
though to get back to your X partition , you'll need to hold down the power button on your machine forcing it to restart since the classic finder is gone and has no menu for shutdown.

Download the finder here from my .mac homepage

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
thanks dude, that should save me alot of trouble. :)

but i'm still wondering if i have to remove any prefrences or extensions? will it affect performance, slow it down if all of them are still there?

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
You can just leave the system default, no need to move extenesions out . You can get rid of ones that aren't necessary......like most control panels. Make sure you don't delete the QT extenesions and your Graphics card drivers those are important. Just go through and see which ones you don't need for whats your doing.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
thanks Mac15, but i'm still having trouble with it.

i'm going to re-install OS 9 to make sure everything is there. then i'm supposed to move the modified 'Finder' into the OS9 system folder and replace the one that's there, right?

is there anything else i'm supposed to move, i thought it would've needed the Win98 or whatever disk image?

edit>> i just re-installed OS 9 and then put the new 'Finder' in the system folder. i then restarted with Option key method and the partition it was on did not show up as a startup volume.

i don't know what i'm doing wrong? if anyone can help me, then please help me!

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Originally posted by benixau
what version of VPC are you using 4? 5? 6?

mac15: what version did you give him?

i'm using VPC 6... i guess there would be a big difference if mac15 gave me the hacked Finder of version 5 or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.