Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecube84

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2001
ohio
I know that this isn't really a rumor, but has anyone ever succeeded in playing mp3 files on a 68040 mac? I have a duo 280c that I would like to play mp3s on.
I have seen some cheap low quality players, but i want to really be able to do it.
Quicktime 4.0.3 is available for 68k macs, but can it play mp3s on them?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe

thecube84

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2001
ohio
qdesign = no no

well qdesign wont work

Minimum requirements: PowerPC, System 7.1, QuickTime 4.0

note the thread title 68k mac

anyway

i only looked at the first one cuz i have to go to bed

sorry excuse, i know. (im only 14 for cryin out loud.)

WOULDn't you know it? and it's only 9:00 here!

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
qdesign = no no

well qdesign wont work

Minimum requirements: PowerPC, System 7.1, QuickTime 4.0

note the thread title 68k mac

anyway

i only looked at the first one cuz i have to go to bed

sorry excuse, i know. (im only 14 for cryin out loud.)

WOULDn't you know it? and it's only 9:00 here!
Dang, you're 35 now... ever find that 68k-Mac supported mp3 software?

thecube84

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2001
ohio
Dang, you're 35 now... ever find that 68k-Mac supported mp3 software?

I randomly saw this post show up on the sidebar and got nostalgic for the time I faced a similar problem, so I clicked. As I read the posts I felt some second-hand (or so I thought) cringe for the awkward teenager but also a sense of connection to the geeky kid making sure to mention to everyone how old he was, in some attempt to sound smart.

Then I realized, this is me. I haven't participated in the forums here for years (decades?) and the chances of logging into the OP account are slim to none at this point (EDIT: MacRumors combined my accounts!). Yes, I am 35 now. I'm still a big vintage Mac nerd with more accumulated old systems than I know what to do with. 14 year old me would be proud of that, I think.

I can actually close the loop on the point of this thread! I did get my Duo to play MP3s back then, barely, using an app called MpegDec if I recall correctly. It wasn't a very good experience, as you might imagine. Listening to a low bit rate MP3 through the dinky speaker, given that the Duo had no audio out, was not exactly fulfilling. But it was really about the thrill of the chase to me, anyway.

Last edited:

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Had this experience many times, hah. How cool to bump into your younger self. Thanks for stopping back in. These ancient threads rarely if ever have any such closure.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
I randomly saw this post show up on the sidebar and got nostalgic for the time I faced a similar problem, so I clicked. As I read the posts I felt some second-hand (or so I thought) cringe for the awkward teenager but also a sense of connection to the geeky kid making sure to mention to everyone how old he was, in some attempt to sound smart.

Then I realized, this is me. I haven't participated in the forums here for years (decades?) and the chances of logging into the OP account are slim to none at this point (EDIT: MacRumors combined my accounts!). Yes, I am 35 now. I'm still a big vintage Mac nerd with more accumulated old systems than I know what to do with. 14 year old me would be proud of that, I think.

I can actually close the loop on the point of this thread! I did get my Duo to play MP3s back then, barely, using an app called MpegDec if I recall correctly. It wasn't a very good experience, as you might imagine. Listening to a low bit rate MP3 through the dinky speaker, given that the Duo had no audio out, was not exactly fulfilling. But it was really about the thrill of the chase to me, anyway.
I was almost certain you would never reply, since when I checked the account you're using now was last logged into nearly 20 years ago (2003). And I was less than 2 months old when you made that original post in 2002, this post is absolutely ancient in internet history. Speaking of 68k Macintosh MP3 playing, I still wasn't able to find much information online in 2023, but with some more thought I realize MIDI would be a much better option rather than MP3 on a system of that age. Like you said, no audio out on a lot of these and I can't imagine a system of that era would have anything close to a modern sound card and would be much better suited for playing MIDI files. Will check out that link though, thanks!

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
It's been a long time - if I remember correctly an '040 could decode an mp3 in real time only in mono.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Hmmm.... "reviving" a thread that's now 21 years old.
This has to be some kind of record !!!

• Love
Reactions: drumcat

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
I can actually close the loop on the point of this thread! I did get my Duo to play MP3s back then, barely, using an app called MpegDec if I recall correctly.

And just like that, the link broke about a month or two ago. I never clicked the damn download! Anybody have a source?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.