Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

austere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
I'm going to college and I want the portability and energy conservation of a laptop but I'm crazy about the imac for it's screen size, hd space, and general beauty. Of macbook and macbook pro owners here, have you ever felt crazy limited by your machine not having the screen size or disk space of a desktop? Would anybody recommend getting a big external LCD for the dorm, or would that likely just be a waste?

I know merom and maybe conroe are coming to the line but most speculation seems to be about the imac. Do you think the 64 bit generation will come by mid-August? I.E. a wwdc launch?

Finally, if I can get a 64 bit machine out of it, I will likely be buying refurb. Am I correct in thinking this means you can't add RAM at order? If so, Apple doesn't have diy RAM adding guides on its site yet for the MBP (I know the MB is really simple). Would an apple store install 3rd party RAM or would it be simple and not warranty-voiding to do it myself?

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
I know my 15" PowerBook has the same resolution as a MacBook Pro, and for regular schoolwork I've never felt very limited. Of course, if you're majoring in Video, Graphics, etc, you'd need to take that into consideration.

But as far as a WWDC announcement, I doubt it would go into the iMacs so soon, but keep in mind that there will likely be a wait for such a product (months for the original G5, weeks for the MBP..)

Also, installing RAM is covered in the products user-manual, which I believe is online, but regardless, it's not terribly difficult.

:)

edit: MBP RAM is covered on page 83 of this manual.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I am pretty sure that adding RAM is a user upgradeable part on the MBP. I know it is on my Powerbook, which has similar form factor. Anyway, I have a 15" Powerbook and I don't feel limited at all by the screen size, and I believe that the MBP has better resolution, or at least I think it does. But you can always get you a big extra display for the dorm room if you feel limited. I don't think you can add RAM to refurbs when you buy, but it won't void you warranty to do it yourself later either. Good luck. Oh yeah, it will be a while before any 64 bit processors show up in the refurbs, except for the iMac G5s and PowerMac G5s.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I don't feel like my mbp screen limits me at all. I've rcently used a 17 and 20'' but it's the widescreen aspect that makes it feel so big. Of course, if you're a serious graphics user, I would think about getting an external monitor.

Kace

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2005
Sydney
austere said:
I'm going to college and I want the portability and energy conservation of a laptop but I'm crazy about the imac for it's screen size, hd space, and general beauty. Of macbook and macbook pro owners here, have you ever felt crazy limited by your machine not having the screen size or disk space of a desktop? Would anybody recommend getting a big external LCD for the dorm, or would that likely just be a waste?

I know merom and maybe conroe are coming to the line but most speculation seems to be about the imac. Do you think the 64 bit generation will come by mid-August? I.E. a wwdc launch?

Finally, if I can get a 64 bit machine out of it, I will likely be buying refurb. Am I correct in thinking this means you can't add RAM at order? If so, Apple doesn't have diy RAM adding guides on its site yet for the MBP (I know the MB is really simple). Would an apple store install 3rd party RAM or would it be simple and not warranty-voiding to do it myself?

adding RAM on a MBP does NOT VOID your warranty...

changing RAM on MBP is easy as changing RAM on a MB.

remove the battery, open up the little lid (4 screws), insert your new RAM at a 25 degree angle, push it in. thats it.

to remove just rotate the inserted RAM chip 25 degrees and pull it out.

ive got a iMac G5 (isight) and a 17MBP. and i find myself using the MBP more and more. Its quite portable (all comes down to what you intend to use it for)//...
iMac G5 is now my primary media center + TV (using Elgato Eye TV DTT).

hope this helps
cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.