PDA

View Full Version : College Students Rate iPods Over Beer

MacRumors
Jun 8, 2006, 03:10 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

In what can only be described as a stunning development, undergrad students have rated Apple's iPod as the most "in" thing (according to a Student Monitor study reported by the AP), eclipsing beer for only the second time in the study's 18 year history. 73% of the students surveyed rated the iPod as "in", while beer and social networking website Facebook.com garnered second place with 71%.

The last time beer was knocked from the top spot was 1997, when the Internet took top prize. The AP article is mirrored at CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/07/college.in.ap/index.html).

pdpfilms
Jun 8, 2006, 03:11 PM
Hahahahaha!

Man, we're a bunch of dry, geeks.

mozmac
Jun 8, 2006, 03:15 PM
I'm in college. I have an iPod, use facebook, and don't drink beer.

swingerofbirch
Jun 8, 2006, 03:15 PM
I never knew anyone at university to have drunk beer....they started with Absolut and went on from there.

I live in a campus town and the white headphones are so terribly ubiquitous that it makes me wish iPod were a tad less popular. It's hardly the music player for the rest of us--iPod has become the music player for all of us!

MacsRgr8
Jun 8, 2006, 03:18 PM
?

Times do change....

Talk about socializing:
- "gonna have a beer with me tonight?"
- "nah, I'll be listening to my iPod this evening"

mainstreetmark
Jun 8, 2006, 03:18 PM
So what? I rate beer over college students!

mozmac
Jun 8, 2006, 03:19 PM
I never knew anyone at university to have drunk beer....they started with Absolut and went on from there.

I live in a campus town and the white headphones are so terribly ubiquitous that it makes me wish iPod were a tad less popular. It's hardly the music player for the rest of us--iPod has become the music player for all of us!

I remember back in 2002 when I was one of about five kids on campus that had white head phones. When we'd pass each other in the hall we'd give each other a nod, as if to say, "You are a freakin' stud. Sporting your iPod. The rest of the world doesn't know what they're missing." Well, I guess the rest of the world finally found out what they were missing and realized they needed to have it.

paddy
Jun 8, 2006, 03:21 PM
Beer and the opposite sex any day of the week for me.

Macmaniac
Welcome to slow news day on MacRumors.

In college its all about sleep! Take your iPod to class, and play on your powerbook till 4AM in the morning, then get 12 hours of sleep and repeat:D

mozmac
I still have that same iPod, by the way. Haven't purchased a new one. It's a 2nd Gen 10G that now sits in my car, plugged into my stereo. When I got it, it was only supported on OS X.

haleyvan
yay apple!

Diatribe
Jun 8, 2006, 03:22 PM
Beer and the opposite sex any day of the week for me.

And if you're lucky you don't even need the beer for the second. :D

stefan15
Jun 8, 2006, 03:25 PM
I'm amazed anyone can make it through university without beer.

It is a critical stress relief factor.

swingerofbirch
Jun 8, 2006, 03:25 PM
I remember back in 2002 when I was one of about five kids on campus that had white head phones. When we'd pass each other in the hall we'd give each other a nod, as if to say, "You are a freakin' stud. Sporting your iPod. The rest of the world doesn't know what they're missing." Well, I guess the rest of the world finally found out what they were missing and realized they needed to have it.

I got my first iPod fall of 2002 as well! I only knew two other people on campus with one.

How about a choice for admiring the same sex from afar?! lol.......

Timepass
Jun 8, 2006, 03:35 PM
for me opposite sex and sleep. The ipod is nice but come on Girls and sleep. both are great things.

Sleep is really nice if one can get it. Last time I slept 8 hours 2 weeks ago. since then I am lucky to get 5 hours per 24 hours. *before that we are talking 3 months with little sleep there where other issues involved there.

Jaffa Cake
Jun 8, 2006, 03:41 PM
If you're smart about it, you can combine all of them into one glorious mish-mash of fun. Except the studying, of course. :p

Multimedia
Jun 8, 2006, 03:41 PM
I'm Gettin' A Woodie Just Thinking About Her FrontSide Busts. ;)

New definiton of "Woodie" is the Woodcrest based Quad Intel Mac Pro. Just invented today by Macinposh over at the "Xserve July, Mac Pro in August?" (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2497900#post2497900) Thread. :)

X5-452
Jun 8, 2006, 03:44 PM
As a university student, I can tell you that beer and alcohol in general is far from "out." I have an iPod, drink, have a FaceBook and sleep.

vniow
Jun 8, 2006, 03:46 PM
I'm Gettin' A Woodie Just Thinking About Her FrontSide Busts. ;)

Eew.

I'm in college, have an iPod, love alhoholic stuff but not so much into the opposite sex (often) ;)

DaftUnion
Jun 8, 2006, 03:46 PM
Well drinking and dancing do go together hand in hand...so it all makes sense.

Sleep and bar hopping should be up there too though.

HiRez
Jun 8, 2006, 03:52 PM
Love how I can look forward to MacRumors rehashing most of ArsTechnica (http://arstechnica.com/index.ars)'s Mac stories two days later...just in case I missed them. :rolleyes:

nagromme
Jun 8, 2006, 04:05 PM
Someday maybe I'll understand the obsession with alcohol, but, come on... SLEEP ROCKS!

If you haven't voted, DO IT! This is important! Sleep is losing!

I have never even heard of Facebook, and their home page sure doesn't wow me. Is it that thing where you mash you face inside a book until it dries totally flat? (Or that might be some flower thing.)

danielwsmithee
Jun 8, 2006, 04:06 PM
I'm in college. I have an iPod, use facebook, and don't drink beer.BYU doesn't count, boy do I miss that place :D

Diatribe
Jun 8, 2006, 04:06 PM
Someday maybe I'll understand the obsession with alcohol, but, come on... SLEEP ROCKS!

If you haven't voted, DO IT! This is important! Sleep is losing!

That may be due to the fact that those people are in fact going about their favourite activity ;)

NewSc2
Jun 8, 2006, 04:07 PM

I'm in college. I have an iPod (3 in fact), use facebook, and I think beer is much, much cooler than iPods. If Steve Jobs invented something as cool as beer the world would be a better place.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jun 8, 2006, 04:15 PM
Not a drinker...I am, however, a huge fan of sleep...:D

No rumors today, huh? I wonder if Apple will come out with something interesting the Tuesday after next...considering, of course, that they came out with the U2 iPod only two days ago...:confused:

m-dogg
Jun 8, 2006, 04:21 PM

School in Utah = Mormon?

(not that there's anything wrong with that or any other faith of course)

Regarding the poll, I think all of those things should be in..........

p0intblank
Jun 8, 2006, 04:21 PM
Hahaha, this is awesome! I rarely drink, but I still find this to be an awesome developement. I voted iPod as the "in" thing lately. I would have voted the opposite sex, but was that ever really an "in" thing? The poll makes it seem like women are objects rather than people.

vniow
Jun 8, 2006, 04:24 PM
Regarding the poll, I think all of those things should be in..........

....excess.

Fiveos22
Jun 8, 2006, 04:25 PM
Obviously this poll was not performed at the University of Wisconsin.

Hell, I don't even live in Mad-town this summer and I am heading back tonight for dollar taps, dancing, and FAC tommorow. iPods over beer...yeah right.

briansolomon
Jun 8, 2006, 04:30 PM
I'm not sure what they are describing at when they say "In"

I love them both equally, in fact I could do without an iPod, just don't take my iTunes.

7on
Jun 8, 2006, 04:33 PM
Wish I COULD afford beer. Damn Macbook why do you take me moneys?!?!?!

Though I just voted "opposite sex" because the honies be fiiiinnnne :cool: That and my favorite girl's studying in Austria for the summer. sigh.

m-dogg
Jun 8, 2006, 04:34 PM
The poll makes it seem like women are objects rather than people.

How so? It says the opposite sex, not women.

....excess.

Thanks for finishing my thought. ;) Damn, I miss college!

Stella
Jun 8, 2006, 04:35 PM
iPod rate over beer?

I think this says it all for american students.

Such Sadness!!!

nxent
Jun 8, 2006, 04:36 PM

hehehe, i remember those days; back when you mention 'ipod' and people were like ??? and nowadays i swear you can't swing your **** without hitting an ipod. but beer? yeh, beer's a sizeable feat. i think jack and coke would be a much harder target. that, and women, er, the oppose sex(or the same sex ) oh, nevermind. you know what i mean.

praterkeith
Jun 8, 2006, 04:36 PM
I'm in college. I have an iPod (3 in fact), use facebook, and I think beer is much, much cooler than iPods. If Steve Jobs invented something as cool as beer the world would be a better place.

LOL, this is so true. We should all petition Mr. Jobs that he make an "ipod coozie!". That would be about the closest thing to inventing something cooler than beer. BEER ACCESSORIES!

Stridder44
Jun 8, 2006, 04:37 PM
I know guys hate one word answers but only one is needed: Awesome.

RainForRent
Jun 8, 2006, 04:49 PM
Steve Jobs has trouble competing with that cold glass of Smithwick's sitting on my desk. :)
iPod over beer my ***!

jholzner
Jun 8, 2006, 04:49 PM
Hey now, why opposite sex? Why not just sex :) Some are of another persuasion. :D

Butler Trumpet
Jun 8, 2006, 04:59 PM
I got my first iPod fall of 2002 as well! I only knew two other people on campus with one.

I got mine back in 2001.... I was the only person in knew on campus that had one. And remained that way until Gen 2 came out, ... i was so jealous when my friend Brant had the ipod with the 4 horizontal buttons that lit up.

emaja
Jun 8, 2006, 05:39 PM
iPods over beer?

They're drinking the wrong beer.

killuminati
Jun 8, 2006, 05:57 PM
Wow those students really need to learn where to put their priorities.

bwanac
Jun 8, 2006, 06:06 PM
Hell no... the iPod is such a fashion accessory it angers me.

Beer and the opposite sex are far higher on the list. Classes being first.

Tanglewood
Jun 8, 2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah I got my first iPod in 2001. My friend got a different mp3 player that broke within the month, where as mine is still going strong (of course after a battery replacement).:D

Though iPods are still an accessory, where beer is a necessity when it comes to college.

m-dogg
Jun 8, 2006, 06:31 PM
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

jericho53
Jun 8, 2006, 06:46 PM
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

Thank you for looking out for the little man!

Psychic Shopper
Jun 8, 2006, 07:23 PM
Since Beer is usually kept refrigerated, it is by far cooler than an Ipod.

aussiemac86
Jun 8, 2006, 07:29 PM
Sorry to start up a debate on a touchy subject, but maybe its because the beer you guys have in america does in fact taste (on the whole) like cŪ@p. :)

yeh i have an ipod , go to uni, think i have heard facebook mentioned once, and spend most of my time in the university tavern studying the beer in front of me, or chasing girls :)

The ipod is just used in transit from one activity (beer) to the other (girls)

Rollem
Jun 8, 2006, 07:36 PM
The margin of error was 2.3%. The 71% that facebook and beer received is not singnificantly different than the 73% rating for the iPod. It was a three way tie that only a larger survey can clarify.

zac4mac
Jun 8, 2006, 08:09 PM
Let's see - there's eleven beers in the fridge, two iPods here, 4 iPods at work, 1 wife in the back, on the phone... I guess beer wins.

Z

purelithium
Jun 8, 2006, 08:35 PM
Hey now

HEY NOW!

Fiveos22
Jun 8, 2006, 08:47 PM
Sorry to start up a debate on a touchy subject, but maybe its because the beer you guys have in america does in fact taste (on the whole) like cŪ@p. :)

But can your local beer do this (http://www.devilducky.com/media/46502/)?

Its not what made Milwaukee famous, but its close.

aussiemac86
Jun 8, 2006, 08:53 PM
But can your local beer do this (http://www.devilducky.com/media/46502/)?

Its not what made Milwaukee famous, but its close.

That is very cool

What we can do with our beer though, is drink it :)

Whilst yours might be best used shooting at a target, ours in enjoyable enough to drink:)

EDIT: that said some of ours should probably be shot out of a cannon as well.

Fiveos22
Jun 8, 2006, 09:05 PM
That is very cool

What we can do with our beer though is drink it :)

EDIT: that said some of ours should probably be shot out of a cannon as well.

So true, but that's only the Beast, which is used for beer pong. Hell, its not even good enough to be used for keg stands, we splurge for the Natty Ice when we're doing that!

swingerofbirch
Jun 8, 2006, 09:17 PM
Sounds like a lot of collegiate drinking goes on. I unfortunately had a medical issue that precluded me and still does from ever taking a sip--I think it should have eased some of the stress as you all have mentioned.

sam10685
Jun 8, 2006, 10:51 PM

i'm in college. i don't have an ipod (of my own), i do use facebook and i do drink beer. am i ok?

millsy
Jun 8, 2006, 11:37 PM

Everybody hates a warm beer my friend....and if you dont...something is wrong with you:eek:

nem3015
Jun 9, 2006, 12:44 AM
Invite opposite sex (found on facebook) to have a beer (or two.... or n-beers) while listening music on the ipod connected to the boombox, while laying on the bed doing ... "CENSORED" ... until you fall asleep until next morning when you have to go study listening your lessons on the ipod... repeat as needed

c-Row
Jun 9, 2006, 01:31 AM
Everybody hates a warm beer my friend....and if you dont...something is wrong with you:eek:

Or he is british. :p

it5five
Jun 9, 2006, 02:08 AM
Beer is pretty much the lamest thing ever (so is every form of alcohol). And yes, I'm in college.

knackroller
Jun 9, 2006, 03:42 AM
Well you'll qualify for an ipod years before you pass the legal age to drink

autrefois
Jun 9, 2006, 07:19 AM
The margin of error was 2.3%. The 71% that facebook and beer received is not singnificantly different than the 73% rating for the iPod. It was a three way tie that only a larger survey can clarify.

I noticed this as well. But we don't know the exact figures. If the researchers and/or CNN rounded their numbers, it's still possible iPod won. For example, if facebook got 70.6% (rounded up to 71%) and iPod got 73.4% (rounded down to 73%), there would be a difference of 2.8. This would mean the difference is significant.

Then again, it could just as well be facebook 71.4% and iPod 72.6%, which makes iPod even less of a winner than the article indicates. Either way, as much as I love iPods, it's reassuring to know the media once again are not letting details get in the way of headlines...

:D

True, but the poll isn't asking about cool-ness, it's asking about in-ness. So while beer may be cooler, the iPod is more in (inner?!).

boncellis
Jun 9, 2006, 01:04 PM
A stunning coup indeed. Could this have something to do with folks at school becoming that much more lame and the iPod serving as refuge between bouts of sitting through class and listening to more and more desperately pedantic attempts to get the professor's attention?

boncellis
Jun 9, 2006, 01:06 PM

I too was at BYU in 2002 with an iPod, but I was not so starved for comraderie that I had to nod at people passing me in the SWKT just because their earphones were the same color as mine. What a commentary.

Raidersmojo
Jun 10, 2006, 05:29 PM
well I am in college

I drink beer, use facebook, study, have an ipod and all of that other jazz

:D

and for the no one drinks warm beer, in europe they do, its how they serve it

confucious626
Jun 12, 2006, 02:29 AM
well I am in college

No thanks.....:(

bigandy
Jun 12, 2006, 05:05 AM
I would have voted the opposite sex, but was that ever really an "in" thing?

depends on how successful you were ;)

why the generalisation? where does that happen? i've travelled all around europe, and only ever found one place selling the 'warm beer' you speak of - Poland. And, in fact, it was mulled beer, which is meant to be served hot, and is actually pretty damn good.

lonepilgrim
Jun 12, 2006, 05:47 AM

Where did you hear that??

djerati
Jun 12, 2006, 05:49 PM
People buy ipods, get music cheaper from friends, dont buy as many (or any) cd's ---> this leads to more beer money being available ---> essentially a funds reallocation...

Students prefer iPods in the short run, but beer still wins in the end.:p

qool
Jun 18, 2006, 09:36 PM
Alcohol, opposite sex, and sleep was a package deal. :D
Study was only relevant when you wanted to get more out of those three. The closest thing to a digital media was MOD/S3M off BBS back then.