PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Is Time's Gadget Of The Week

MacRumors
Jun 8, 2006, 04:52 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Time (http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1201878,00.html) has selected Apple's MacBook as its "Gadget of the Week."

The MacBook is a powerful and affordable option, especially for people who are uncertain about their Windows future. The next version, Vista, might be a success, but with a MacBook you can hedge your bet. You get a computer that runs both Mac OS X and Windows XP today, and even appears to meet the minimum requirements for Vista once it gets here. Dell and HP should be very worried indeed.

Apple has been previously featured on Time's October 24th, 2005 front cover (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/10/20051017150837.shtml) with Steve Jobs holding a 5G iPod. Other appearances have included the 4G iPod being another Gadget of the Week (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/07/20040729141650.shtml), and the G4 iMac being leaked (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/01/20020106230248.shtml) on the advance January 14th, 2002 issue of Time.

whee900
Jun 8, 2006, 04:58 PM
It's definitely a worthy choice for gadget of the week. I didn't notice the pricing trick until the article mentioned it. It's pretty weird.

pianodude123
This is extremely good news considering Time has usually favored the PC market.

It is so true though, the macbook is an extremely good deal. It can run windows too, so what would be the advantage of buying a pc!

This should help with publicity.

bassman
And this is why I can't wait to get one this summer.:D

aricher
Nice albeit short review. Good news as most PC knucklehead pay credence to Time. PC Mag has had some glowing review lately as well.

tigertrainer
Jun 8, 2006, 05:11 PM
I wonder if Time Magazine's selection of the MB for gadget of the week is responsible for the %3.75 run up of Apple stock today? If so, can we have another gadget of the week, please!:D

sunfast
Jun 8, 2006, 05:26 PM
I love my MacBook! But, again, I ask myself who rated this negative? :confused:

runplaysleeprun
Jun 8, 2006, 05:35 PM
This is extremely good news considering Time has usually favored the PC market.

I can think of twice that a Mac has graced the COVER of Time, as well as numerous mentions. I think Time is, at least with large articles, Mac-friendly.

DisturbedSith
Jun 8, 2006, 05:36 PM
Yea, who can rate this negative? Any good publicity from a Magazine like Time is a great thing for Apple.

BornAgainMac
Jun 8, 2006, 05:45 PM
Well, it is about Time (tm)! :)

quigleybc
Jun 8, 2006, 06:00 PM
I never really thought of a notebook as a "gadget" but hey, any good press is....good.

iowamensan
Jun 8, 2006, 06:09 PM
My favorite part of this thread was the link to the thread about the G4 iMac on Time magazine... some very quotable posts..
Some good ones -
agreenster: iPhoto seems kinda like a waste of time
kishba's sig: "I personally don't give a shiza what Intel is at and personally i'm tired of hearing about them. Intel based machines don't run OS X or Final Cut Pro. End of story."
GeeYouEye(re. the G4 iMac): There is no way in hell, Earth, or heaven or beyond (OK maybe heaven ) that everything else can fit in there, along with the G4 and, more to the point, the heatsink. It just isn't possible.

Amazing how far Apple has come..

greenchester
Jun 8, 2006, 06:15 PM
"My biggest problem was an inability to "right-click" using the MacBook's trackpad. Although there is a way to do it by pushing control-shift-F10, I found it was easier to just add an external USB mouse."

I find this line really confusing- Does he not know that you can just control click to get the same thing? or that the two-fingers-on-the-trackpad-and click feature???

MrCrowbar
Jun 8, 2006, 06:25 PM
"My biggest problem was an inability to "right-click" using the MacBook's trackpad. Although there is a way to do it by pushing control-shift-F10, I found it was easier to just add an external USB mouse."

I find this line really confusing- Does he not know that you can just control click to get the same thing? or that the two-fingers-on-the-trackpad-and click feature???

He's refering to right-clicking in Windows XP (boot Camp).

amac4me
Jun 8, 2006, 06:32 PM
At a minimum, I hope it urges PC users to at least go and check out the MacBook.

Apple's strategic decision to switch to Intel processors and subsequent release of Boot Camp is driving some people to purchase Macs.

shawnce
Jun 8, 2006, 06:49 PM
No way the current MacBooks will be able to handle Vista's "Aero" stuff...

Actually Intel's GMA 950 chipset (what is used in the MacBook (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/HardwareDrivers/Conceptual/MacBook_0605/index.html) and Mac mini (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/HardwareDrivers/Conceptual/Macmini_0602/Articles/architecture.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40004238)) supports Aero just fine. You just need 1 GiB of RAM in the system (Vista wants that in general, not just for Aero).

...any other BS you want to fire off? :p

MacBookDJ
Jun 8, 2006, 06:50 PM
Seems like Time Magazine has always been friendly to Apple. More-so than most major US publications. Anyway, news like this is always great.

amac4me
Jun 8, 2006, 07:06 PM
The story is not accurate. The MacBook is NOT the "Gadget of The Week".

Time Magazine has only posted a review of the MacBook. Time's "Gadget of The Week" URL is:

www.time.com/time/gadget

It currently redirects to "XM Satellite Radio's Newest Toys". Note that the page has "Gadget of The Week" whereas the link to the MacBook review does not.

KindredMAC
Jun 8, 2006, 07:11 PM
We have had our MacBook now for 2 weeks and I only have two problems to report:
1) CS 2 is pretty much unuseable if you are a Pro like me that also uses a PowerMac G5 at home and at work to have to compare it to.

and the most important problem I am having....

2) I can't get the damn thing away from my wife!

We bought it for me because our 900mhz G3 iBook was too doggy for me to use when I have to go away on press runs. The deal was that I got the MacBook and we would keep the iBook for my wife to use as her very own laptop. She only needs to use Office and Internet apps.

We love the size and feel of it compared to the 14" iBook. The zippiness of Universal apps is totally outrageous. I can't wait to see how this MacBook is going to handle CS 3 next year.

For all the Glossy Screen haters.... you are way too picky then.
I only notice a reflection right before I turn it on and the screen is black. It is a much much MUCH better screen than the iBook's. The old iBook actually hurts to look at it.

I have access to a 17" PowerBook in my art dept from time to time and I have to say that my MacBook blows it away in almost all aspects. Other than screen size, the only items I can think of that the PowerBook beats out the MacBook is in small "luxury" items such as backlit keyboard, expansion port and speaker quality.

Everything else just seems and feels better. Airport reception is 200% better on the MacBook, the new keyboard and mousepad are REALLY nice, the small size is perfect.

So in my opinion, if there is a MacBook Pro killer out there... the MacBook is the assassin.

Great job Steve. This is the laptop I was looking for to replace our iBook with!

Multimedia
Jun 8, 2006, 07:27 PM
MacBook Should Be TIME's Gadget Of The YEAR! :eek: :p :D :)I've owned a MacBook for a week now, and it's the best computer I've ever used - even better than the 15" AluBook I used to have at work. I also haven't had any heat issues with the computer. It gets warm, but no warmer than any other PC or Mac laptops that I'm used to...Guess I'm right. Right on imalave. :)

superleccy
Jun 8, 2006, 08:07 PM
Time have hit the nail on the head. And if I were American, I'd append the word "period" to that last sentence.

OK, so the Macbook may still have a few niggling issues, but think of where Apple were 10 years ago, and think of where they are now. They finally have a "Microsoft Killer", not just technically, but commercially too. This is a very, very, significant win.

Steve Jobs and all the guys and gals at Apple are true geniuses. And this is just the beginning.

Sorry if this sounds a bit gushy, but I have had several beers. And if I were sober, I would still say it's true. Honest.

Regards
SL & beer.

EricNau
Jun 8, 2006, 08:08 PM
Times:
The next version, Vista, might be a success, but with a MacBook you can hedge your bet. You get a computer that runs both Mac OS X and Windows XP today, and even appears to meet the minimum requirements for Vista once it gets here.
I wish they hadn't used the term "minimum requirements." It will give many PC users the idea that it can't really run Vista, and if you try, it will be incredibly slow and freeze regularly. I really don't think that will be the case however. Maybe I'm just being picky, but I'm afraid (at least that paragraph) is doing more harm than good.

lmalave
Jun 8, 2006, 08:23 PM
There is also mention in that article of not being able to right click on the macbooks - tap 2 fingers on the trackpad, buddy. New feature, and a sweet one at that. Scrolling by dragging down on the trackpad with two fingers works too.

I agree, this is getting highly annoying. This is the second *very* high profile review (the other was CNet's) to falsely make an issue out of the right-click. The two-finger tap is the best input for a right click ever devised! (even better than a true right-click on a traditional mouse, IMHO). And the two-finger scrolling is the best scrolling interface ever devised (again, even better than the scrollwheel on a traditional mouse, IMHO.

Once you start using these input methods, they're more natural and ergonomic than any other alternative. In fact, the other day I caught myself using the mouse with my left hand (I'm left-handed but always use a righty mouse), and it was so easy I was doing it without even thinking.

It's just a shame that a fantastic new feature of the Mac isn't being highlighted enough. I definitely think Apple should enable two-finger tap and scrolling by default. Unfortunately it's not a feature that's easy to work into an advertisement, but it should be a feature that Apple Store sales people emphasize to potential buyers, especially potential switchers.

knackroller
Jun 8, 2006, 08:53 PM
Definitely a strong contender for a notebook. However, the old iBook was itself not a bad notebook in terms of its pricing too.

ImAlwaysRight
Jun 8, 2006, 09:05 PM
who rated this negative? :confused:

Since people always seem to ask but no one ever answers, I'll take a stab.

Maybe they are a Newsweek reader and hate anything to do with Time.
Maybe they are a PC weenie who comes to this Mac forum just to rate every thread negative (or the negative threads positive).
Maybe they lost a boyfriend/girlfriend to the MacBook because it is so sexy.
Maybe they thought the Black and Decker deluxe vegetable juicer should have been the gadget of the week.
Maybe they just like to see people post Who rated this thread negative?!?!? :confused:

That's 5 possibilities and I'm just scratching the surface.

To the topic, personally, I'd rate the MacBook the gadget of the year. :cool:

danvdr
Jun 8, 2006, 09:46 PM
The story is not accurate. The MacBook is NOT the "Gadget of The Week".

Interesting. If you go to http://www.time.com/time/ and look at the lower right corner the macbook is listed as "gadget of the week". (Or, at least it is on June 8)

Flowbee
Jun 8, 2006, 09:58 PM
I agree, this is getting highly annoying. This is the second *very* high profile review (the other was CNet's) to falsely make an issue out of the right-click.

I believe the Time article was pointing out that it's difficult to right-click using the trackpad while running *Windows*. The mention is part of the "And speaking of Windows..." paragraph.

nagromme
Jun 8, 2006, 10:05 PM
I wonder what the current record-holder is for best-selling Mac model? Maybe one of the iMacs?

I predict the MacBook will be a new candidate for the record.

thogs_cave
Jun 8, 2006, 10:12 PM
I was pretty much annoyed by the switch to Intel. As the .sig says, I'm a Mac user for over 20 years now, and I felt somewhat betrayed.

Well, I was wrong.

Last weekend, I went into a local retailer to look at a MacBook Pro to replace my iBook G4 and the PeeCee laptop I use to keep sharp on Windows. (Sharp enough to support my users, anyway.) I walked out with a 2GHz Macbook (white) with 2G of RAM, as I fell in love. (As did my wife - as soon as they get more in we are getting her one to replace her aging TiBook.)

I really, really like this machine. It strikes a good balance between power and portability. The addition of Parallels Desktop (another excellent product) gives me the ability to run Weeeendoze or Leeeeeenux in a window or full-screen at very good speeds. (Oh, and Desktop passes along the two-finger-on-the-pad "right click" just fine.)

I've owned a large number of Macs over the years, as I'm a computer professional and I prefer good tools. I would easily place the MacBook in the top five I've owned, along with:
- My original 512Ke
- SE/30
- Pismo (G3 powerbook)
- Dual G5

Right now, I'm reloading the OS. Not because of a problem, but because I could not resist how easy it is to upgrade the drive. I put in a nice 7200RPM 100G drive to replace the 5400RPM 60G one. I can't wait to see what that does to this already speedy machine.

What really amazes me is that I spent less on this laptop (in dollars, not even adjusted for inflation) than I did for my 512Ke. Progress is good.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jun 8, 2006, 10:27 PM
Times:

I wish they hadn't used the term "minimum requirements." It will give many PC users the idea that it can't really run Vista, and if you try, it will be incredibly slow and freeze regularly. I really don't think that will be the case however. Maybe I'm just being picky, but I'm afraid (at least that paragraph) is doing more harm than good.

I agree - "Vista Capable" would have been much better (and technically, just as accurate...)

EricNau
Jun 8, 2006, 10:29 PM
MacBook Should Be TIME's Gadget Of The YEAR! :eek: :p :D :)
They are waiting for the Full-Screen Video iPod. ;)

C00rDiNaT0r
Jun 8, 2006, 10:36 PM
My brother is entering college now. I might tell him to get the macbook with the 2gb nano @ edu price. Then sell the nano on ebay to cover the cost of extra ram and/or extra hard drive space :)

btfgus
Jun 8, 2006, 10:36 PM
Finally some "mainstream" praise for Apple without the word "iPod" being slung in there to explain it's success.

h00ligan
Jun 9, 2006, 12:26 AM
honestly running windows on a macbook/pro sucks... a lot. I use both os's every day, and it's PAINFUL to use it on a macbook pro. The drivers suck, the mouse control sucks, the power management sucks.. what's the point.. may as well run parallels. Buying a mac to run windows is NOT a good idea.

nsjoker
Jun 9, 2006, 01:52 AM
honestly running windows on a macbook/pro sucks... a lot. I use both os's every day, and it's PAINFUL to use it on a macbook pro. The drivers suck, the mouse control sucks, the power management sucks.. what's the point.. may as well run parallels. Buying a mac to run windows is NOT a good idea.

i second that, especially on a portable. it might not be as bad on an iMac but on the mb/mbp it's very annoying. apple needs to fix the heat issue as well, it seems to run hotter in windows. i dunno, just me.

ImNoSuperMan
Jun 9, 2006, 03:37 AM
i second that, especially on a portable. it might not be as bad on an iMac but on the mb/mbp it's very annoying. apple needs to fix the heat issue as well, it seems to run hotter in windows. i dunno, just me.

Except for the heat I dont think I have any problem with XP on my MB. Also since Bootcamp is still in it`s beta, I m sure the few other minor problems will be solved with the leopards release. XP on my MB is as much usable as on any other intel laptop.(As if it really is usable in any way at all:eek: )

Any ways Great Sig I must say:D

netdog
Jun 9, 2006, 03:40 AM
The MacBook isn't a gadget.

It's great under Parallels, and the with two-finger right click and scroll, it is easier than on my iMac.

sunfast
Jun 9, 2006, 03:49 AM
I wonder what the current record-holder is for best-selling Mac model? Maybe one of the iMacs?

I predict the MacBook will be a new candidate for the record.

As I was just in the queue at the Apple Store to buy my MacBook, I saw 3 of them sold and piles of them being continually brought up from the stock. All the talk was MacBook, MacBook , MacBook :)

amac4me
Jun 9, 2006, 09:37 AM
Interesting. If you go to http://www.time.com/time/ and look at the lower right corner the macbook is listed as "gadget of the week". (Or, at least it is on June 8)

Yes, you are correct. Interesting that the page has not been updated to state "Gadget of the Week" as prior gadgets have the heading on their associated pages. Thanks for the correction :)

MacsomJRR
Jun 9, 2006, 12:59 PM
Why people voting negatively on this? It is a good thing darn it!

boncellis
Jun 9, 2006, 01:20 PM
I agree, this is getting highly annoying. This is the second *very* high profile review (the other was CNet's) to falsely make an issue out of the right-click. The two-finger tap is the best input for a right click ever devised! (even better than a true right-click on a traditional mouse, IMHO). And the two-finger scrolling is the best scrolling interface ever devised (again, even better than the scrollwheel on a traditional mouse, IMHO.

Once you start using these input methods, they're more natural and ergonomic than any other alternative. In fact, the other day I caught myself using the mouse with my left hand (I'm left-handed but always use a righty mouse), and it was so easy I was doing it without even thinking.

It's just a shame that a fantastic new feature of the Mac isn't being highlighted enough. I definitely think Apple should enable two-finger tap and scrolling by default. Unfortunately it's not a feature that's easy to work into an advertisement, but it should be a feature that Apple Store sales people emphasize to potential buyers, especially potential switchers.

Totally agree, I'm the same way. But like you pointed out, it's new and there's a good chance people reading about it would have their eyes glaze over at some point. My eyes tend to glaze over whenever I see the phrase "right-click." I wish I could explain it.

thogs_cave
Jun 9, 2006, 03:29 PM
It's great under Parallels, and the with two-finger right click and scroll, it is easier than on my iMac.

I agree. I think in this case a VM is better than a dual-boot. One of the laptops I sold to buy the MacBook was a Dell Inspiron 1300 with a 1.8GHz Pentium M and 1G of RAM. XP running under Parallels Desktop feels quie a bit faster, and I am really happy with the transparent mouse and the easy switch between full screen and a window.

Best of all, I did all the setup for XP, then stuffed a copy of the disc image onto a CD. If something screws up the Windows install, it's just a few minutes to delete the disk file and replace it with the known good one.

Oh, and the 7200 RPM Seagate drive makes a decent difference. It's much faster than the stock 5400RPM Seagate, with one odd exception: on XBench's random uncached write of 4K blocks the performance is dismal (like a 7!) on both drives. I need to see if it's the drives or the benchmark.

Diatribe
Jun 9, 2006, 03:37 PM
Times:

What were they going to do, lie? Because of the graphics card it won't run most of the visual goodies that differentiates Vista from XP. So they're right.

Shadow
Jun 9, 2006, 04:01 PM
All these people saying how good the MacBook is makes me feel good that it'll be my first Mac ever (buying next weekend:D)

KindredMAC
Jun 9, 2006, 05:25 PM
All these people saying how good the MacBook is makes me feel good that it'll be my first Mac ever (buying next weekend:D)
No ifs ands or buts about it.... We love ours. Just don't think you can run CS 2 at any kind of rate unless God has blessed you with patience.

thogs_cave
Jun 9, 2006, 06:32 PM

Congrats! I think you'll be happy with your MacBook. Some applications (like Adobe's stuff) need to catch up, but having survived a few transitions (680x0 -> PPC, Classic -> OS X), I can say that these small problems are a lot less painful, and will soon pass.

Kneecap
Jun 9, 2006, 07:25 PM
I was all prepared to pickup a new MacBook. I went into the Apple store to pick one up only 2 weeks after the thing was out. Then I noticed that the mouse pad area on all the display models had worn from flat to shiny finish.

What's up? It has only been out for 2 weeks. I queried the sales associate about it, and asked if anyone else has asked. "No," he replied, and scurried away. I decided to hold off on my purchase.

I went back two days later and low and behold all the store models had ALL been replaced. I asked another sales associate about the problem, and he said he had never heard of it. I told him that I was in a couple of days ago, and that the mouse areas were extremely shiny, especially on the black models. I asked when they had replaced the models. He insisted that they had not. I told him they had, and he basically called me a liar.

I just want to warn anyone who uses their book on a regular basis to beware that the flat finish may wear down to shiny, VERY fast.

I asked another friend, who was not affiliated with the Apple Store but works on Apple computers, about it and he confirmed it may be a problem, especially since the pad is connected to the frame of the computer. He predicted a recall and shell replacement as he had already had 2 complaints.

I am so disappointed. I really wanted to pick one up, but I am holding off now.

:(

Reanimation
Jun 9, 2006, 07:58 PM
so is the macbook worth getting?
http://xrl.us/ReanimationCLhttp://xrl.us/CondemnedDWhttp://xrl.us/DylanCoHhttp://xrl.us/reanimationLaDhttp://xrl.us/ZuluDWhttp://xrl.us/Reanimationhttp://xrl.us/R3ANIMAT1ONhttp://xrl.us/MopDWhttp://xrl.us/Ownagehttp://xrl.us/nocturnalyDW

Multimedia
Jun 9, 2006, 08:57 PM
I was all prepared to pickup a new MacBook. I went into the Apple store to pick one up only 2 weeks after the thing was out. Then I noticed that the mouse pad area on all the display models had worn from flat to shiny finish.

What's up? It has only been out for 2 weeks. I queried the sales associate about it, and asked if anyone else has asked. "No," he replied, and scurried away. I decided to hold off on my purchase.

I went back two days later and low and behold all the store models had ALL been replaced. I asked another sales associate about the problem, and he said he had never heard of it. I told him that I was in a couple of days ago, and that the mouse areas were extremely shiny, especially on the black models. I asked when they had replaced the models. He insisted that they had not. I told him they had, and he basically called me a liar.

I just want to warn anyone who uses their book on a regular basis to beware that the flat finish may wear down to shiny, VERY fast.

I asked another friend, who was not affiliated with the Apple Store but works on Apple computers, about it and he confirmed it may be a problem, especially since the pad is connected to the frame of the computer. He predicted a recall and shell replacement as he had already had 2 complaints.

I am so disappointed. I really wanted to pick one up, but I am holding off now.

:(Pardon me but Why Are Shiny Mouse Pads A Problem? I don't see why shiny pads present a negative issue. Please elaborate on what this negative is. :confused:

Heb1228
Jun 9, 2006, 08:59 PM
Pardon me but Why Are Shiny Mouse Pads A Problem? I don't see why shiny pads present a negative issue. Please elaborate on what this negative is. :confused:
Not shiny as in they came that way. Some of them get shiny from normal wear. It looks bad. And your tar creeps me out. Fix that thing man. :o :D

Multimedia
Jun 9, 2006, 09:21 PM
No ifs ands or buts about it.... We love ours. Just don't think you can run CS 2 at any kind of rate unless God has blessed you with patience.Did you add a 1GB stick yet? CS2 Performance improves radically (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=206695) when you do. :)

EricNau
Jun 9, 2006, 10:33 PM
What were they going to do, lie? Because of the graphics card it won't run most of the visual goodies that differentiates Vista from XP. So they're right.
Just as AvSRoCkCO1067 said, Times could have used the term "Vista Capable" instead. How is that lying?

shrhaider
Jun 12, 2006, 02:21 PM
is that two-finter right click feature available on the MBP? I was playing with one at an Apple reseller here in Seoul the other day (macbooks aren't available here yet), trying to get used to OSX before my Macbook arrives. I couldn't find it in the settings. the touchpad scroll worked but not the two-finger tap for "right click"

johnthevulcan
Jun 13, 2006, 03:44 AM

:d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :) :) :) :)

swingerofbirch
Jun 15, 2006, 11:21 AM
Time has been Apple's butt boy for some time now. (Think of all the covers of Jobs' holding an Apple product.) At first I thought maybe it was to be apologetic over having leaked the iMac G4 picture, but I realized that Time has been evangelizing Apple for quite some time before that.

JackSYi
Jun 23, 2006, 04:08 AM
I really think it should be a gadget of the month, or even of the year. It is cutting edge in terms of the technology and not expensive.