PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite game in the Final Fantasy series?

Haoshiro
Jun 8, 2006, 08:21 PM
Place your votes! Mine goes to FF6 (FF3 US).

Note that I am only including games from the main series in this poll, that means the following have been omitted:

Final Fantasy Adventures Series (Gameboy, these were Seiken Densetsu [Mana series] games)
Final Fantasy Legend Series (Gameboy, these were SaGa series games)
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES)
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle Series
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy X-2

Here is a breakdown of what system each game was first released on:

NES - FF1, FF2, FF3
SNES - FF4 (FF2-US), FF5, FF6 (FF3-US)
PS1 - FF7, FF8, FF9
PS2 - FF10, FF11, FF12

EDIT: When you vote please post which FF game was the first you played! I think it would be interesting to see how that corresponds with the vites! :)

DevilDog
Jun 8, 2006, 08:37 PM
I remember playing IX back in the day with my friend... It was co-op and really good. I wish we had finished it though... never made it past disk 1/4.

First one I saw played was one from the PS 1 Where you flew around on some jet thing... probably 7 from the new movie. And then I saw someone play tactics. And then I played IX.

mkrishnan
Jun 8, 2006, 08:37 PM
I voted for VII, just because I bonded with the characters so much... but actually, I am very interested in playing this new GBA version of VI/3 (that is the one that just came out with new 3D / isometric graphics on the GBA, right?).

EDIT: Oh, wait, no, that's IV, isn't it. Well. In any event I think I'm still voting for VII.

Haoshiro
Jun 8, 2006, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I think I still have IX somewhere and never did get to finish it.

Another good poll on this subject would be which is the First FF game you played. :)

cycocelica
Jun 8, 2006, 08:39 PM
VII. But X is a close second.

Haoshiro
Jun 8, 2006, 08:40 PM
I voted for VII, just because I bonded with the characters so much... but actually, I am very interested in playing this new GBA version of VI/3 (that is the one that just came out with new 3D / isometric graphics on the GBA, right?).

EDIT: Oh, wait, no, that's IV, isn't it. Well. In any event I think I'm still voting for VII.

Actually that is FF3j (Final Fantasy 3, Japan). That was never released anywhere else and was an NES game.

The number is just confusing, but the remake of the "real" FF3 is in full 3D and will be on the DS, not GBA.

mkrishnan
Jun 8, 2006, 08:47 PM
The number is just confusing, but the remake of the "real" FF3 is in full 3D and will be on the DS, not GBA.

Okay, thank you... so when I get a DS Lite, finally, to play New SMB... ;) I can also get FF3. And this is the third main-series Japanese game, and not the one that originally ran as FF3 here, right? I can roll with that. :) Why not? The DS Lite matches my iBook! :D

Haoshiro
Jun 8, 2006, 08:51 PM
And this is the third main-series Japanese game, and not the one that originally ran as FF3 here, right?

Right. It sure can be confusing to try to explain! heh.

Funny the USA titles go: 1,2,3 ... 7,8,9,10,11,12! It looks like we missed 4,5,6 but we actually missed 2,3,5 :P Such a nice bit of confusion they caused.

Dagless
Jun 9, 2006, 03:44 AM
The most fun I've had on a FF game was 1.

Ayre
Jun 9, 2006, 01:14 PM
FFIX, simply because it was just so damn well translated. I fell for the setting immediately, as well as the characters themselves. The music was stellar, and the art was amazing.

It's kind of funny, I remember back in the day when FFVII was still new. Many older Square fans hated the game, while the newer, younger fans adored it. Now that those young'uns have grown up, it's become the clear cut favorite. ;)

FFVI comes in a very close second. If you were not touched by the Opera scene, you don't have a soul.

Verto
Jun 9, 2006, 01:23 PM
Final Fantasy VI (USIII) was the best EVAR!!!

fistful
Jun 9, 2006, 01:25 PM
I've only played the post playstaion ff's, out of the lot I'd say my favorite is IX.

I think XII will change this as the main direction of the game was lead by the creator of my favorite square game: Vagrant Story.

srobert
Jun 9, 2006, 01:27 PM
My vote went for FFVI. Best character development of all FF to my humble opinion. Musical score is… Grandiose!. (Aria di Mezzo Carattere anyone?) Only video game that put a tear at the corner of my eye. (When Celes attemts suicide when she think she's the only one left alive in the ruined world… Yeah… I couldn't save Cid on my first try). My favorite characters are in FFVI (Cyan, Edgard and Setzer). I don't usually like the cool young hero/anti-hero type à-la Cloud.

Edit: First Final Fantasy I played was FFI.

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 9, 2006, 01:29 PM
Final Fantasy VI (USIII) was the best EVAR!!!

Yup, it is my favorite game of all time, followed very closely by chrono trigger. Those 2 games are the height of squaresoft game and story design.

FF VI would make an awesome movie, though it would probably have to be a trilogy, it would be epic if done correctly.

yellow
Jun 9, 2006, 01:30 PM
Though I've played all the US releases (except FFXI), I really enjoyed FFX the most as an in-depth story/world/game. Except Chobo-baloon racing thing for the main char's ultimate sword. That ****ing thing KILLED me. I just could never quite get it.

Dagless
Jun 9, 2006, 01:34 PM
Is it just me or am I seeing more FF6 and 10 pro-comments than the poll winner FF7?

yellow
Jun 9, 2006, 01:41 PM
One can vote without posting.

fistful
Jun 9, 2006, 01:51 PM
Though I've played all the US releases (except FFXI), I really enjoyed FFX the most as an in-depth story/world/game. Except Chobo-baloon racing thing for the main char's ultimate sword. That ****ing thing KILLED me. I just could never quite get it.

Gahh! :mad: That cost me a controller. I don't think I have gotten that mad at a video game since I was around 6.

I did beat it eventually...

DougTheImpaler
Jun 9, 2006, 02:24 PM
What, no FFX-2, FFCC, FF Adventures, FFMQ, or FFT? LOL

BTW, FFVI really IS the best. VII is good. IV is good. IX is good. But nothing beats the final FF on SNES.

Haoshiro
Jun 9, 2006, 02:28 PM
What, no FFX-2, FFCC, FF Adventures, FFMQ, or FFT? LOL

BTW, FFVI really IS the best. VII is good. IV is good. IX is good. But nothing beats the final FF on SNES.

You didn't actually read the Post that went with the Poll, did you? :P

DougTheImpaler
Jun 9, 2006, 02:48 PM
You didn't actually read the Post that went with the Poll, did you? :P
Yeah, I know, I was just curious why they were omitted. I wasn't very clear on that.

MacRumorUser
Jun 9, 2006, 03:48 PM
FF IX for me. The only FF I completed and I've played them all. That one had some magic over me - all the others I got bored with.

None of them beat ChronoTrigger though :p

Haoshiro
Jun 9, 2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I know, I was just curious why they were omitted. I wasn't very clear on that.

Oh, well the reason is simple. Besides X-2, all the other games are, generally speaking, not FF games. They are instead FF "Branded" games. MQ might be an exception, bit it too was a much too large departure (imo).

So in summary, because I wanted to list only games in the actual FF series, not spinoffs or new games that just got branded with "FF" to increase sales. ;) I mean.... gosh, I'd have had to include FF7 Snowboarding, Ergheiz, etc etc! :D

~Shard~
Jun 9, 2006, 05:26 PM
FFVII - there is no other. One of the greatest games ever made. :cool:

Played FFI when it first came out, liked it a lot, played IV, didn't like it as much, then played VII Wow. VIII sucked compared to VII, IX got back to its roots a bit more and I liked it for that, X was bland and I have never played another FF since.

If a completely remastered (and finished) version of FFVII was released for PS3 I would buy a PS3 just for that one game. :cool: Well okay maybe that and MGS4.

quigleybc
Jun 9, 2006, 06:08 PM
Out of every game I've ever played the FF series games were the ones that really captured me, and took me away

better than (some) books even...

I stopped at 9, got an Xbox, not knowing that that purchase would end my FF experience cold....:mad:

Stupid Xbox...

I'm gonna trade it for a PS2, and get back to the FF saga...I've got some catching up to do...

Viewtiful Rich
Jun 9, 2006, 06:58 PM
VII without a doubt... and no it wasn't my first Final Fantasy game.

Love the story and the characters. It's definitely one of my top five.

If a completely remastered (and finished) version of FFVII was released for PS3 I would buy a PS3 just for that one game. :cool: Well okay maybe that and MGS4.

Bring on the remake, it would be incredible... although I really don't want to buy a PS3.

Dagless
Jun 9, 2006, 07:27 PM
Square wont remake FF7 for a long time. They know it would be next to impossible to do. Do they remake the graphics? that would anger a lot of people who want the original feel. Do they keep the original graphics? That would put off the graphics whores (which would be a lot of people on the PS3).
How could they remake those characters in super detail without being accused of "making it a cartoon" etc. Big hair, strange faces etc.

They're playing with something big. It's like remaking Ocarina of Time. It's rewriting the gaming Bible. When Square scoop to another low they probably will do something. Think of it as Squares pension.

Viewtiful Rich
Jun 9, 2006, 09:00 PM
How could they remake those characters in super detail without being accused of "making it a cartoon" etc. Big hair, strange faces etc.

Heard of Advent Children? And why would you do a remake (not port) and not update the graphics?

Square said that they plan on making VII a two decade long project... the remake is not a matter of if it's when.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1287.html

Nermal
Jun 9, 2006, 09:09 PM
I've played 7, 8 and 9 and liked 9 the most. I haven't played 6 (actually I played the first 10 minutes or so back in 2001) but I've heard it's good.

OutThere
Jun 9, 2006, 09:14 PM
7 is pure awesomeness.

I play it picture-in-picture while computing quite often. :D

slooksterPSV
Jun 9, 2006, 09:29 PM
7, 7 is the absolute best. Wish there was a Quality emulator to run it on my iBook. FF7 *hugs* I love FF7 *hugs*

sam10685
Jun 10, 2006, 12:03 AM
i don't even know what final fantasy is. i just voted because it seemed like a good idea.

Dagless
Jun 10, 2006, 04:28 AM
Heard of Advent Children? And why would you do a remake (not port) and not update the graphics?

Square said that they plan on making VII a two decade long project... the remake is not a matter of if it's when.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1287.html

Wada thinks the Final Fantasy VII franchise will be alive for two decades, meaning ten more years.

He only said "thinks". And that doesn't even mean a remake of FF7. Crisis Core, Advent Children, there are other FF7 related products in the pipeline but no mention of a remake of the big game.

As for the AC characters bit - good point. Though my FF7 obsessed girlfriend is adamant that any change to the graphics that sever would lose the original magic that was FF7. Which is what I said before, who do you please? The minority but devout lifelong fans, or the potential huge FF7 virgins who want the latest cutting edge graphics?

Dagless
Jun 10, 2006, 04:34 AM
i don't even know what final fantasy is. i just voted because it seemed like a good idea.

It was a really popular RPG series in it's heyday. They have since dwindled (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psx/finalfantasy7?q=Final%20Fantasy%20VII) with (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psx/finalfantasy8?q=Final%20Fantasy%20VIII) ever (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psx/finalfantasy9?q=Final%20Fantasy%20IX) increasingly (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/finalfantasyx?q=Final%20Fantasy%20X) worsening (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/finalfantasyx2?q=Final%20Fantasy%20X-2) games (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/finalfantasyxi?q=Final%20Fantasy%20XI) apparently (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/dirgeofcerberusfinalfantasy7?q=Final%20Fantasy%20VII).

Haoshiro
Jun 10, 2006, 07:56 AM
He only said "thinks". And that doesn't even mean a remake of FF7. Crisis Core, Advent Children, there are other FF7 related products in the pipeline but no mention of a remake of the big game.

As for the AC characters bit - good point. Though my FF7 obsessed girlfriend is adamant that any change to the graphics that sever would lose the original magic that was FF7. Which is what I said before, who do you please? The minority but devout lifelong fans, or the potential huge FF7 virgins who want the latest cutting edge graphics?

Well I'd say your girlfriend is quite wrong, heh. FF7 *already* had three different character models for each character! There was the in-game "world" model, the in-game "battle" model, then there was the model used in the CG. Sure they were obviously all similar but they were still different, the lack of consistency in that game was huge.

Now take models like were in that short "realtime" FF7 PS3 clip, which was pretty much like the one in AC, and you have a great looking, consistent look for the characters. Basically the entire game would be greatly improved if you could make all the graphics consistent and rich in that game!

That is my "unbiased" opionion, heh.

For my biased opinion:
- The characters were pretty uninteresting already, especially the main character, Cloud (Square has a knack for making the main character the worst).
- The graphics were all around bad except for the prerendered backgrounds, which just made the in-game realtime models just look all the more horrible, they were bad even for the time
- Most of the CG was done badly, and yes I thought that even when the game was new.
- The story was pretty good, but just tried too hard. The FF:TSW movie actually had a lot of the core plot elements of FF7, and that alone shows me that it definitely was a great story. What was good were the twists and surprises, the "reveals" were usually quite intriguing.

All in all I'd probably want to play through an FF7 remake if it looked like that demo reel they showed years back. If they could have more consistency and display more emotion then it might actually be more interesting to sit through the entire game.

Dagless
Jun 10, 2006, 09:54 AM
Well I'd say your girlfriend is quite wrong, heh. FF7 *already* had three different character models for each character! There was the in-game "world" model, the in-game "battle" model, then there was the model used in the CG. Sure they were obviously all similar but they were still different, the lack of consistency in that game was huge.

Now take models like were in that short "realtime" FF7 PS3 clip, which was pretty much like the one in AC, and you have a great looking, consistent look for the characters. Basically the entire game would be greatly improved if you could make all the graphics consistent and rich in that game!

That is my "unbiased" opionion, heh.

For my biased opinion:
- The characters were pretty uninteresting already, especially the main character, Cloud (Square has a knack for making the main character the worst).
- The graphics were all around bad except for the prerendered backgrounds, which just made the in-game realtime models just look all the more horrible, they were bad even for the time
- Most of the CG was done badly, and yes I thought that even when the game was new.
- The story was pretty good, but just tried too hard. The FF:TSW movie actually had a lot of the core plot elements of FF7, and that alone shows me that it definitely was a great story. What was good were the twists and surprises, the "reveals" were usually quite intriguing.

All in all I'd probably want to play through an FF7 remake if it looked like that demo reel they showed years back. If they could have more consistency and display more emotion then it might actually be more interesting to sit through the entire game.

I wouldn't say so. If they took something I loved from yesteryear and gave it a sprucing up then I'd be annoyed.

You know Cave Story? Well some publisher got ahold of it and are making it for the PSP and DS. With updated graphics. The freeware scene has exploded after seeing the new box art, criticising the new developers for destroying the games image. Same thing would happen to me if my beloved Ocarina of Time was updated. The sparkle would be gone. it would be just another cold attempt-to-be-CGI game.

Haoshiro
Jun 10, 2006, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't say so. If they took something I loved from yesteryear and gave it a sprucing up then I'd be annoyed.

You know Cave Story? Well some publisher got ahold of it and are making it for the PSP and DS. With updated graphics. The freeware scene has exploded after seeing the new box art, criticising the new developers for destroying the games image. Same thing would happen to me if my beloved Ocarina of Time was updated. The sparkle would be gone. it would be just another cold attempt-to-be-CGI game.

To each their own I guess, I'd love to see an OoT remake with Twightlight Princess graphics! :D

A remake of Samurai Showdown 4 in HD? My abosolute most loved 2D fighter? I would love that. Heck, even a very high quality remake with 3D graphics, while retaining the original gameplay would be utterly awesome.

If you can keep the same art direction/style/mood/character while upping the visual quality then I don't see how it could ruin the game. Resident Evil 1 remake on GameCube? Amazing! So it depends on how it is done, if done properly and well I don't see how that would be bad.

I'd love to have a visually upgraded Mario 64 on GCN/Wii as well. Even when the N64 first came out I thought the 3D was really poor. So especially some of those great 1st/2nd gen 3D games really deserve a face lift. We had finally really mastered 2D with all sorts of great animation and intricate detail, then we jumped to 3D that was so poor.

There are plenty of other old "3D" games that I'd love to see get remastered with fresh, detailed, graphics of today. The original Tomb Raider, Tenchu (all of these games have been visually poor), the original StarFox as well as StarFox 64... etc etc.

Haoshiro
Jun 12, 2006, 07:57 AM
Man, so much FF7 love out there... that proves... well.. something I guess.

~Shard~
Jun 12, 2006, 09:45 AM
Man, so much FF7 love out there... that proves... well.. something I guess.

That it's the best FF game? :p ;) :cool:

DougTheImpaler
Jun 12, 2006, 10:32 AM
That it's the best FF game? :p ;) :cool:
most popular != best. I think we can use congressional elections as a basis for proof there. ;)

~Shard~
Jun 12, 2006, 10:57 AM
most popular != best. I think we can use congressional elections as a basis for proof there. ;)

Heh heh - fair enough. ;) :D

Torajima
Jun 12, 2006, 11:30 AM
Wow... arguing about whether FF7 is any good or not... that really takes me back! :)

I hated FF7 back in the day (even created the FF7 Hate Page), but my opinion has softened over the years. Heck, any RPG that attracted a significant amount of female fans can't be all bad...

I still think the game is grossly over-rated, but if they release a remake with better graphics and improved dialog I'll certainly buy it.

As for the rest of the games...

FF1 & FF2 - may have been groundbreaking during their day, but too tedious to play now save for the sake of nostalgia.
FF3 - I always thought this game looked interesting; I'm glad it's getting a remake on the DS.
FF4 - Graphics were pretty poor for a SNES game, but the game had a great story, one of the best in the series.
FF5 - I understand why hardcore RPGers love this one, but after playing FFT the job system in FF5 seems so... limited. Story wasn't that great, either.
FF6 - The first Final Fantasy game I played, and therefore my favorite in the series. Lots of melodrama and great, great music.
FF7 - see above. I liked the battle engine, but that's about it.
FF8 - I never played this. Funny, considering all the bad reviews I'd probably love it.
FF9 - Rather crappy graphics, but a good story... but for some reason I got bored about half way thru.
FF10 - This game really surprised me... it's arguably the best game in the series. Great story, great graphics and sound (even the voice acting was decent), and a wonderful battle engine. It's a shame the mini-games were so crappy (but then, they always are with Square).
FF11 - Online, didn't play, don't care to.
FFX2 - This was actually a pretty cool spin on the FF series, but revisiting the same places over and over was tiresome.

So, my favorite game is FF6, but I think the best overall game is FF10.

Bocheememon
Jun 12, 2006, 12:56 PM
I've played all the FF games. Final Fantasy 3(6) was my favorite.

Hasn't that many people here played Final Fantasy Tactics?

That game actually made me feel for the characters! They were tangible and the storyline and music were beautiful. I always find myself thinking about the game from time to time. It really was a great story! That was an underrated game that really was made with care.

FF Tactics would be my second favorite.

Edit: Oh and FF 2 was another favorite of mine! Very memorable and nostalgic! I haven't played that game in years...now I feel old.

Haoshiro
Jun 12, 2006, 01:05 PM
Bocheememon: But not going to vote?

Bocheememon
Jun 12, 2006, 01:12 PM
Doh. I'll vote!

goomba
Jun 18, 2006, 12:11 PM
FF6 is still my favourite, followed closely by 7, but with the previews of XII I've been reading it seems that Square might still make a comeback...

slooksterPSV
Jun 18, 2006, 10:00 PM
I've played all the FF games. Final Fantasy 3(6) was my favorite.

Hasn't that many people here played Final Fantasy Tactics?

That game actually made me feel for the characters! They were tangible and the storyline and music were beautiful. I always find myself thinking about the game from time to time. It really was a great story! That was an underrated game that really was made with care.

FF Tactics would be my second favorite.

Edit: Oh and FF 2 was another favorite of mine! Very memorable and nostalgic! I haven't played that game in years...now I feel old.
Final Fantasy Tactics is awesome, I love that game.

ddrueckhammer
Jun 18, 2006, 10:33 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics is awesome, I love that game.

I love FFT but the problem with it is that Shining Force and Shining Force II for the Genesis are two of my favorite games ever which are both RPG/Turn-based strategy classics. The entire concept for FFT was developed from them. I recently picked up the Shining Force GBA cartridge to play on my DS Lite and it took me back in time. Tactics is definately a classic but the Shining Force games and the Phantasy Star series were where it came from.

Nintendo or Sony should remake Shining Force III volumes 1-3, which was for the Dreamcast, for the Wii or PS3 with upgraded graphics. This and a remake of FFVII would be enough for me to buy any system.

crachoar
Jun 19, 2006, 03:18 AM
Tactics wins. Pity I can't vote for it.

Torajima
Jun 19, 2006, 05:31 AM
I love FFT but the problem with it is that Shining Force and Shining Force II for the Genesis are two of my favorite games ever which are both RPG/Turn-based strategy classics. The entire concept for FFT was developed from them.

Not really... Final Fantasy Tactics has more in common with Tactics Ogre than Shining Force (in fact, some of the original Tactics Ogre team worked on FFT).

Besides, Shining Force was hardly the first Japanese strategy game. Both Fire Emblem and Langrisser/Warsong came before it.

BTW, I think the original Shining Force has been remade for the GBA. I don't think they updated the graphics, but I believe they added new characters and campaigns.

charmin
Jun 19, 2006, 03:36 PM
Anybody got any thoughts as to why FF7 was never ported to Mac? Seems to me like there's a lot of demand for the game (self included), even if it's going to cost 20, 30, if it can be played natively and at speed under OSX.

~Shard~
Jun 19, 2006, 03:56 PM
Anybody got any thoughts as to why FF7 was never ported to Mac? Seems to me like there's a lot of demand for the game (self included), even if it's going to cost 20, 30, if it can be played natively and at speed under OSX.

I would love to see that! Alas, we never will... :(

ddrueckhammer
Jun 19, 2006, 04:08 PM
I found a used copy of Shining Force for my DS Lite. It is definately worth a look for anyone who likes this genre. I forgot about Fire Emblem and Langrisser/Warsong but they are fun too. Especially, since your characters can die permenently on Fire Emblem. I tried Advance Wars Dual Strike but was dissapointed because I missed the role-playing aspect of these games.

Not really... Final Fantasy Tactics has more in common with Tactics Ogre than Shining Force (in fact, some of the original Tactics Ogre team worked on FFT).

Besides, Shining Force was hardly the first Japanese strategy game. Both Fire Emblem and Langrisser/Warsong came before it.

BTW, I think the original Shining Force has been remade for the GBA. I don't think they updated the graphics, but I believe they added new characters and campaigns.

mkrishnan
Jun 20, 2006, 04:34 PM

Everyone has their personal preference... besides, the other thing that's always there about video games is that they come at a specific point in your life. You know what I mean? You invest all the time and energy into playing them while you're in a certain place as a person. So my experience of Super Mario 3, for instance, is inevitably colored by how old I was then and my memories of having my friend come over and playing it on and on together in the basement. The fact that we played in the basement has nothing to do with the quality of SM3, but it is a piece of my feelings for the game. The times I was going through when I played FF7 and Panzer Dragoon Saga (which I played maybe two or three months later) were also memorable times for other reasons and the emotions wash together.

People like FF7. Get over it. It isn't something that needs a debate like presidents and prime ministers and congressmen and members of parliament. Nothing bad happened to the world because FF7 was created, nor does supporting it somehow cause damage to other people. It's the one I like for my own reasons. And apparently I'm far from being the only one.

That's what it means.

EDIT: Sorry, I've been gone for a week and I responded to a post on the first page because I forgot there was a second page to read... :o