PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2 Problems

jamesmcd
Jun 8, 2006, 08:56 PM
Hey All,

I am having trouble with Half-Life 2 on my intel iMac (XP).

The game boots as it should, then it loads the first level, but then upon the intro (and at random times during it), the game crashes, and claims of some type of memory address problem or something like that.

Is this an Intel Mac problem? I really want to rid myself of my PC.

mode
Jun 8, 2006, 10:35 PM
No, I don't think so -- I used to get a very similar memory error with my PC when I first bought Half-Life 2.

That being said, I'm sure that its not a problem with your Mac -- with Windows installed and dualbooted, your Mac is essentially a legitimate PC in every way now, and any Mac architecture shouldn't be conflicting with it.

Check out the Support archives on Steampowered.com, they've got loads of searchable help files you can look through to find an answer. Here's one I found: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=278&p_created=1100821608&p_sid=_pjPIA9i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yNjkmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N 2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Also, make sure your game cache files have been validated by Steam -- do a search for 'validate' in the Support section, and you should find links that will open Steam up and run the process for you.

jamesmcd
Jun 8, 2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks for that, I will have a browse through soon. A little bit worried about number 10 on that list though:

10. If you have an ATI Graphics card, please uninstall ATI-ACE, ATI-SMART, Trueform and Catalyst AI, also disable VPU Recover if that causes you problems (but remember it's being triggered by some sort of problem!)

jamesmcd
Jun 8, 2006, 11:31 PM
Ok it's going now randomly. Although I have another problem.

The game runs and I can move around etc, but on the screen it says A.I. Disabled. This basically means no one does anything but stand there. No talking, movement at all.

Help anyone?

RamenBooko
Jun 8, 2006, 11:42 PM
Bootleg copy? Happened to me back in the day when I had a PC, and a dl'ed copy of HL2. No AI at all.

jamesmcd
Jun 8, 2006, 11:51 PM
Well it's legit, but a carbon copy from when I backed up my PC drive's files onto my Intel Mac. I basically networked them together and copied it straight. That way I could avoid inistalling everything again. All my other games worked perfectly, only HL2 is giving me issues.

mode
Jun 9, 2006, 12:29 PM
Well it's legit, but a carbon copy from when I backed up my PC drive's files onto my Intel Mac. I basically networked them together and copied it straight. That way I could avoid inistalling everything again. All my other games worked perfectly, only HL2 is giving me issues.
Ooh.. try typing "ai_disable 0" in the console first, see what that does for you.

Normally I wouldn't believe that performing a straight file path copy from one hard drive to the other should present any problems, but that's not really the case with Steam games.

I'd likely recommend deleting the game files in the Steam folger, then reinstalling and reupdating Half-Life 2 on your Mac.

jamesmcd
Jun 9, 2006, 05:38 PM
Now who's a clever penny. Thanks a lot for that, worked pefectly. Upon typing that in the console, everyone came to life.