PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to start a Small ISP?

DavPeanut
Feb 23, 2003, 07:05 PM
Hi! It's me David. I was wondering, does anyone know what licences you need to start an ISP? I would like to provide high-speed internet access to my neiborhood by Dry-Pair line(s). Here is a description (http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010823.html) of what I would like to do. I would like to distribute the access with a big router and an RJ-45 running to every house, but I don't want people logging into other peoples computers. It would be especially nice if I could make the large router output signals that would allow the wires to go into household router WAN ports, but I dont know what kind of router to use, or how to get cables under peoples' driveways. If anyone can help, I would greatly apreciate it. Dry-Pairs would probably be about $50 per month, and I could sell my service to 20 household at $25 per month, meaning $450 a month for me, after I've broken even. I also need help with finding out how to trick the phone company into plugging one end of the line into the the ISP section's machine room.

Thank you so much.

Kwyjibo
Feb 23, 2003, 07:50 PM
First Change your name to Steve Case; and if you want to increase your profits you can use their information to build a demographic and get the big bucks with advertising. Just messing

cubist
Feb 23, 2003, 07:52 PM
You probably need a business license only. If you are going to run wires to people's houses, that's going to be a huge amount of work. You'll need some routers and a good internet connection for yourself. If the houses are close by you might want to consider selling them 802.11b or g gear and delivering the service that way.

Note that if you charge them $25 per, they will expect you to meet some stated availability and bandwidth specs, and you may have collections difficulties.

There is not going to be any "tricking the phone company". Any significant traffic would be noted.

If you get a T1, for example (1.5mb/s), you will have to arrange for somebody to handle your internet traffic. You are simply doing the "last mile". I don't think it'll be very expensive, compared to the cost of the T1.

Frankly, I think you need to reconsider your business. Your costs are going to be higher than you think, and your profits are going to be lower. But it is refreshing to see the good old enterpreneurial spirit is still alive!

rainman::|:|
Feb 23, 2003, 08:04 PM
use 802.11b or g over ethernet. for the price of the cable and cable laying (permits up the ass) you can get some industrial antennas and become an access point. then, if you want to spread later, you can wirelessly connect access points from your centralized location.

it's the easy, economical, feasible way to go.

plus it's remarkably easy. you'll need the router to connect directly to the wireless hardware, then up the antenna into other's homes.

if there's a park nearby, this would be a selling point-- provide wireless access to the park for surrounding residents that buy accounts. joe blow can take his laptop to the park on a nice sunny saturday and still get some work done. people eat this stuff up.

as far as security goes, with the right software you can activate only selected wireless cards (by their MAC number) so people won't be able to mooch.

pm me if you have questions, we can find the info you need. i worked with a small town that provided this type of internet access a few years ago, so i have a little experience...

:)
pnw