PDA

View Full Version : When does Rev A become Rev B?

anthonymoody
Feb 24, 2003, 08:12 AM
Lately many people have been saying to avoid Rev A releases of Apple hardware. Fair enough - I do the same with cars. But my question is this. In terms of hardware (specifically, the 12" Albook - I'm nervous about the mouse button seating and the sleep/latch issue) is Rev B the next time Apple updates the specs (i.e. more memory, faster processors, etc) or is it simply the second production run, presumably before which Apple figures out how to fix the problems? If the latter, how do we know when this happens?

Thanks!
TM

iJon
Feb 24, 2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by anthonymoody
Lately many people have been saying to avoid Rev A releases of Apple hardware. Fair enough - I do the same with cars. But my question is this. In terms of hardware (specifically, the 12" Albook - I'm nervous about the mouse button seating and the sleep/latch issue) is Rev B the next time Apple updates the specs (i.e. more memory, faster processors, etc) or is it simply the second production run, presumably before which Apple figures out how to fix the problems? If the latter, how do we know when this happens?

Thanks!
TM
its when the next update comes out for them. by the way, what is the problem you have heard about the 12 inch powerbook. i have one and so does my friend and we havent had any problems with ours.

iJon

FelixDerKater
Feb 24, 2003, 08:57 AM
Rev A becomes Rev B when the specs are changed. They usually fix minor problems in the design when they make these changes, such as fixing ventilation problems, using better paint, etc.

anthonymoody
Feb 24, 2003, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys, this is what I figured. Too bad. I guess the 12 incher wont get a Rev for quite some time. As for the problems, I've read in many places (here included) about the screen latch not engaging properly (fully) and it leading to problems with the sleep mode - macfixit.com has a piece on it. Also, I've read numerous reports of the touchpad button not feeling 'right' somehow, like it's not properly seated. The one I tried at a store felt fine though.

TM

FelixDerKater
Feb 24, 2003, 09:07 AM
People love to post their gripes with the machines.

If I had listened to all the fuss about the original TiBook, I would have never bought one. I decided to take a chance on one. It was the best decision possible. No paint trouble, no bending of the display, no dead pixels, no key imprint on the screen.

iJon
Feb 24, 2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by anthonymoody
Thanks guys, this is what I figured. Too bad. I guess the 12 incher wont get a Rev for quite some time. As for the problems, I've read in many places (here included) about the screen latch not engaging properly (fully) and it leading to problems with the sleep mode - macfixit.com has a piece on it. Also, I've read numerous reports of the touchpad button not feeling 'right' somehow, like it's not properly seated. The one I tried at a store felt fine though.

TM
i can probably understand the problem with latch on the powerbook. it seems different than other models. i had problems with it at first but it was because it was different. you cant really shut it slowly. it has to be a quick shut and it will latch.

iJon

TEG
Feb 24, 2003, 10:19 AM
The Latch/Sleep issue is common among laptops with latches. My TiBook Has a similar problem, as does my friends iBook. The solution is to just press down over the latch to make sure its secure befor moving, then there is no problem.

TEG