Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
well I'm thinking about buying the new 30gb with the edu rebate deal making it cost only $90 to replace my zen micro 5gb. I'm wondering if its realy even worth it though. the only advantage I see is the fact that the ipod has a biger hd. I dont use software for transfering music to the mp3 player(just drag and drop folders onto the player with music in them like a drive) and dont realy intend on watching video on the ipod eather (thats what my macbook will be for). The max volume output provided on my micro is just about perfectly loud with my Sennheiser HD 212 PROs but not ear damaging loud. How is the volume on ipods?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Well, first off, how many songs we talking? I have more than 8 GB, so the 5GB is kind of a joke to me, but what about you? And also, about the volume, iPod goes plenty loud. I keep my volume less than half most of the time.

You also said it would cost 90$ to buy an iPod. Where do you get that kind of a deal? I checked edu discount and it is like $269, so where did you see 90? Because I would definately buy one for that low of a price.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Zwhaler said:
Well, first off, how many songs we talking? I have more than 8 GB, so the 5GB is kind of a joke to me, but what about you? And also, about the volume, iPod goes plenty loud. I keep my volume less than half most of the time.

You also said it would cost 90$ to buy an iPod. Where do you get that kind of a deal? I checked edu discount and it is like $269, so where did you see 90? Because I would definately buy one for that low of a price.

its $90 after rebate if u get it along with a mac like the macbook. Its part of one of apples current promos. The free ipod nano one. You can use the ipod rebate towards a regular ipod as well.

link
ipods that apply are towards the bottom.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
mrweirdo said:
well I'm thinking about buying the new 30gb with the edu rebate deal making it cost only $90 to replace my zen micro 5gb. I'm wondering if its realy even worth it though. the only advantage I see is the fact that the ipod has a biger hd. I dont use software for transfering music to the mp3 player(just drag and drop folders onto the player with music in them like a drive) and dont realy intend on watching video on the ipod eather (thats what my macbook will be for). The max volume output provided on my micro is just about perfectly loud with my Sennheiser HD 212 PROs but not ear damaging loud. How is the volume on ipods?

Well, for starters you'll have to use iTunes to add/remove music from the iPod and to organise your music on it. The iPod is pretty loud at full tilt.

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
Not to sure but i think you need to put it on disk mode, which you need iTunes to do. Any way why wouldn't you wan't to use iTunes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.