Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Hello
A friend of mine is about to costum-build a PC (I know it's sad, but let him do it). He really likes Apple's design. He needs a tower, for his computer to last very long, but he can't afford a PowerMac, not even refurb., but the question is:
Is it possible for him to buy a PowerMac G5 case (seen here on eBay). It may seem absurd with 200 bucks, but he is willing to pay for that design. Can he put all his components into the PowerMac. Everything in the PowerMac is the powersupply, and a fake door for the SuperDrive... (BTW, if he can do this, he is getting an ACD)...:D

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
with allot of work yes, the logic board mount holes are different, why not just wait for a mac pro or at least hold off untill conroe is available (end of the month)

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Hector said:
with allot of work yes, the logic board mount holes are different, why not just wait for a mac pro or at least hold off untill conroe is available (end of the month)

1. He doesn't want a Mac.
2. He will not be able to afford a Mac Pro, or a G5 when Mac Pro is released.
3. The only part he likes about mac is the design. he just wants an owner PC with mac design (the G5 case).:p

uchuff

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2006
Josias said:
1. He doesn't want a Mac.
2. He will not be able to afford a Mac Pro, or a G5 when Mac Pro is released.
3. The only part he likes about mac is the design. he just wants an owner PC with mac design (the G5 case).:p
Why not try one of the many G5 influenced cases like the Lian Li V1000 range or something a bit different (but still stylish) like the Lian Li PC-60.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
I doubt he will like the cases you showed me. He likes the simplicity of G5, those are too packed with ports and drive on front. I just ask, is it possible and how?

kevin.rivers

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2005
I have seen this done on another forum. I will post link when I remember where it was.

I will tell you this. It will not be easy. Extreme modification is necessary. So if he pays $200 and messes it up... well... I think it would be fun but he may want to make sure he says the skill required to do this.

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
Boo him and pirating OS X get a Mac gosh... He doesnt want a Mac wah wah but wants to put a pirated copy on there. Who cares he shouldnt be doing that anyway.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
bbrosemer said:
Boo him and pirating OS X get a Mac gosh... He doesnt want a Mac wah wah but wants to put a pirated copy on there. Who cares he shouldnt be doing that anyway.

That was someone being sarcastic, not serious. The original thread poster mentioned that this guy just wants to be able to have a PC in a cool looking Apple case.

I have actually had the desire to do this before, as well. I never did get around to it, though. I just started buying Macs instead.

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
Yes I know I just never mind didnt realize that one of the comments was sarcastic, thats all and had to correct myself, anyway there was a post earlier about this same topic some guy did a really good mod of his Powermac G5 case, it was pretty hot looking search the forum you should find it with pics too.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Josias said:
He doesn't want OS X. He wants a windows tower, with the deisgn of a mac.:eek:

It was just a statement; I didnt assume that was the purpose of his conversion. I should have read the middle of the thread better, I suppose...

how about a "Thank You" to me for providing basically all the info he needs to know to do such a conversion, as I have been through the whole thing and perhaps have done one of the better conversions to date. I spent *alot* of time making that work and fit the way it does (as did those who did the conversion before me) Dont burn a resource bridge...

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
RichP said:
It was just a statement; I didnt assume that was the purpose of his conversion. I should have read the middle of the thread better, I suppose...

how about a "Thank You" to me for providing basically all the info he needs to know to do such a conversion, as I have been through the whole thing and perhaps have done one of the better conversions to date. I spent *alot* of time making that work and fit the way it does (as did those who did the conversion before me) Dont burn a resource bridge...

Okay, spankyou very much:)
He decided just to get a normal case, since it looks too hard.:D

septicdeath

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
forum seems stale, but I'll ask anyway

I notice that most of the g5's modded with atx motherboards in them no longer use the reset/psu/hdd led connectors. I notice that the atx20/24pin psu connector to the motherboard is routed through the original g5 power button, is there a adaptor that changes the g5 psu switch output to the standard 24pin atx motherboard connector and the additional 8pin 12volt for the cpu? I've seen 3 or 4, and they all route this way, I cant see on yours if your g5 psu switch is routed to the motherboard so as to short the 13 to ground to start the psu, with the psu to mb connectors straight from the psu to the mb, or if its done the way aquamac and others are done, with nothing going to the onboard pins, and the 12volt 24pin/8pin psu +12 rail coming from the front case on off switch circuit board?

EDIT: Just got off another board, they are doing it opposite of what I have followed here, they have the pinouts from the front power switch/fw/usb pcb board, and are making adaptors that plug into the headers on the atx motherboard (usb header, 1394 header) and psu power on. Anyone know where to get this cable. (attaching image) So I can cut one end off and add a header from a cheap case?

Thanks to anyone that can chime in

Attachments

• 922-6056.jpg
    922-6056.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 7,052
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.