Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of the 3 new ads?

• Love it!

Votes: 251 72.3%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Meh...

Votes: 86 24.8%

• Total voters

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
lexus said:
Oh ok sorry I did not read it correctly.

Don't worry about it :) - does anyone have confirmation that there is a new ad, or, even better, a link to view the new ad with?

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Apple Releases Three More Mac Versus PC Ads

Apple has just released three more ads that promote the benefits of owning a Mac:

* Macs are into doing "Fun stuff"
* Macs work "Out of the box"
* Macs are "PCs too"

Link (just reload until they show up in the upper right)

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
The ads don't appear to be showing up on the Soccernet page (Sorry macmaniac)

However, someone has posted one of them on a site called Pointroll

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I caught "Fun Stuff" on soccernet and tried to e-mail it to myself, but it just sent me an URL to the page at apple.com which has yet to add the three new ones.

EDIT: Caught "Out of the Box" too, but not the last one.

B

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
I like how they advertise 'Boot Camp' in one of them...

...although it stinks that they have to say, 'sold seperately' next to Windows.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA

Apple today quietly released new ads featuring the Mac and PC duo that have been the staple of Apple's "Get A Mac" campaign. Multiple users report having seen the ads, with themes including the following:

- Macs do "fun stuff"
- Macs work "out of the box"
- Macs are "PCs too"

The ads have not been posted to Apple's Get A Mac site. At one point they could be reliably found at ESPN's Soccernet site, however the ad appears to have been replaced.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Flame me if you want, but these ads are not only lame, but ineffective. For some reason Steve-O seems to think that Macs can get by on the cool factor alone.

You want to sell the things? Show the OS, show the apps. Until then, you're setting money on fire.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Some_Big_Spoon said:
Flame me if you want, but these ads are not only lame, but ineffective. For some reason Steve-O seems to think that Macs can get by on the cool factor alone.

You want to sell the things? Show the OS, show the apps. Until then, you're setting money one fire.
This has been discussed before. In a 30-second time slot, and on a TV screen with a much, much lower resolution that a computer, it is hard to impress anybody (often it just looks horrible).

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
That makes me feel safer frankly. :)

AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
...although it stinks that they have to say, 'sold seperately' next to Windows.

I know, I've chimed in on this in other threads too. To each their own, but if you want to sell a car, you usually show the car.

EricNau said:
This has been discussed before. In a 30-second time slot, and on a TV screen with a much, much lower resolution that a computer, it is hard to impress anybody (often it just looks horrible).

djerati

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2006
Mac Ads = Retarded

:eek: The way Apple markets itself is to the dumb end user - try advertising more intelligently for a change! Not everything has to be simple to the point of "Mr. Professor's" Learn how to use a Computer E-mercials...

Real Mac people are generally more technology savvy than the average end user and dont need these really generic commercials...

Go back to 1983, much better promotions at that time.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Some_Big_Spoon said:
I know, I've chimed in on this in other threads too. To each their own, but if you want to sell a car, you usually show the car.

I guess you didn't happen to notice that they show Macs at the end of the ad then. ;)

P.S. Holy crappy YouTube captures, Batman!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
dejo said:
P.S. Holy crappy YouTube captures, Batman!
You'd think. But that's where soccernet was getting them. Thanks for the links zon7!

EDIT: Missed the update! Watch them on pointroll instead. Still crappy, but viewable.

B

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
These ads are much better, I think. Like the office Season 1 to Season 2 here in the US. I like the style of humor more, and it's done better.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Some_Big_Spoon said:

You want to sell the things? Show the OS, show the apps. Until then, you're setting money on fire.
Apple does needs to show the OS in depth, but not on TV. TV has to get people's attention and get them to learn more in venues where that is actually possible: Apple.com, Apple stores, etc.

djerati said:
Real Mac people are generally more technology savvy than the average end user and dont need these really generic commercials...
I'm not certain this campaign is aimed at "Real Mac People."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.