PDA

View Full Version : Apple 20" Cinema Display and older macs

thebt
Feb 25, 2003, 03:20 PM
I'm looking for a new (and big) screen and I'm thinking of buying the Apple 20" Cinema Display.
But when I look at the requirements from Apple they say that you need to have at least a PowerMac G4 with GeForce 2mx.

I have a PowerMac Dual G4 450 with a ATI Rage 128 Pro 16MB and it has both analog and digital outputs, but will this new Apple screen work with this card?
Or do I have to buy a new graphics card?
If I would need to buy a new card what kind do I buy? An AGP or PCI card? If I buy an AGP then I'll have to remove my current card, but if I buy a PCI card then I could work with 2 screens, right?

What can you advise me?
If I need another graphics card which is a good one? I don't need a very good card because it's only for business use, no games and 3D.

Thanks

iJon
Feb 25, 2003, 04:10 PM
if it has an agp port on your mobo i would go buy an new ati card like the 9000 or 8500. then you can buy the adc to dvi adapter from apple for 99 dollars and you will be set. you cant believe everything you read on the apple boxes though, they say you have to have os x 10.2 and i have it running on windows xp.

iJon

Kid Red
Feb 25, 2003, 05:29 PM
Can't help much other then to say i sold my 22" cinema display to a cube owner on ebay because he said (for whatever reason) he couldn't upgrade to the new displays. It may have just been an adpater or having to purchase a new graphics card but he just decided it was better for him to get a cinema dsiplay (which is older then current displays)

iJon
Feb 25, 2003, 05:35 PM
there is a adc to vga box for 300 dollars, dont know if your video card could handle it. ill try to find the link to the product for you, i looked at it yesterday.

iJon

yzedf
Feb 25, 2003, 06:31 PM
get a new AGP card with dual monitor ports on it.

that card you have now is ancient. no disrespect intended, but a 20 lcd deserves better than that junky old Rage card. Plus, I doubt the Rage 128 can push that much anyhow.

$179 gets you a nice dual head...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?catalog=48&DEPA=8&submit=property&mfrcode=0&propertycodevalue=3043

yzedf
Feb 26, 2003, 12:21 AM
http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0820-R9PM

thebt
Feb 26, 2003, 02:57 AM
Yes I'm thinking of buying a new graphics card.

What is the best one a Radeon 8500 or 9000, they both have 64MB.
And if I install such a card, will it take advantage of Quartz Extreme?

I think the 9000 looks more than good enough for me, and it has both ADC and DVI outputs and a DVI to VGA adapter. So then I could use my current VGA screen (Sony TFT 15") and the Apple Cinema 20"?
That would be very cool! :)

The mac I have to use it for is the Power Macintosh G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) (http://www.apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=gallery&model=g4giga).

Or maybe I'll first buy the Cinema Display and see how it works ;)
If it's not working good enough I'll buy a new graphics card.

Would I see any diference in speed in OSX if I buy a new graphics card?

thebt
Feb 26, 2003, 01:51 PM
Ok, I just ordered the Studio Display 20" and the Radeon 9000!
And now I'm counting the days already! :D

Hope I wont regret it!

iJon
Feb 26, 2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by thebt
Ok, I just ordered the Studio Display 20" and the Radeon 9000!
And now I'm counting the days already! :D

Hope I wont regret it!
congrats, should work very nicely. Please let us know how it goes.

iJon

FelixDerKater
Feb 26, 2003, 04:20 PM
That is one beautiful screen. I hope you enjoy it.

gotohamish
Feb 26, 2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
get a new AGP card with dual monitor ports on it.

that card you have now is ancient. no disrespect intended, but a 20 lcd deserves better than that junky old Rage card. Plus, I doubt the Rage 128 can push that much anyhow.

$179 gets you a nice dual head...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?catalog=48&DEPA=8&submit=property&mfrcode=0&propertycodevalue=3043

We ran the original 22" Cinema (the DVI not ADV one) from a Rage 16MB on our Sawtooth - it worked okay. Of course it can handle it.