PDA

View Full Version : More Apple Acquisitions?

MacRumors
Feb 25, 2003, 05:26 PM
A reader writes, stating that they have heard that "Daiken a maker of DVD software and Mariner a maker of Word Proecssing and Spreadsheet software" may have been acquired by Apple.

While no links were provided, Sonic's Daiken (http://www.sonic.com/daikin/) and Mariner Software (http://www.marinersoftware.com/) are presumably the companies mentioned.

No word of such acquisitions have been leaked, and readers are encouraged to offer any information about these possibilities.

The same reader, however, does note that some employees from Gobe have been recruited by Apple, and AlphaMask (http://www.alphamask.com/) has been acquired by "a third party" according to their website.

phampton81
Feb 25, 2003, 05:51 PM
I for one am happy to see Apple showing signs of expansion

FattyMembrane
Feb 25, 2003, 06:17 PM
i think aquiring nisus would have been a better move but this is still good news. as for alphamask, it was mostly former apple employees that ran the company and their software was, according to them, "cross-platform quartz".

arn
Feb 25, 2003, 06:18 PM
just to clarify...

it's all very unsubstantiated.

arn

MOM
Feb 25, 2003, 06:59 PM
A quick look at Mariner website gives me the impression that their word processor is roughly on par with what Apple has in AppleWorks. Nothing in their feature set stood out as something new and great. Maybe their codebase is more modern??

jaykk
Feb 25, 2003, 07:10 PM
I think Mariner Word looks better than AppleWorks, but i didnt try any other features. I hardly ever used AppleWorks.

MrMacMan
Feb 25, 2003, 09:07 PM
Maybe by spending a couple MORE million dollars we all don't have to use OFFICE.

But not today. I need my grammar check, please.

Freg3000
Feb 25, 2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
But not today. I need my grammar check, please.

Totally. I don't understand why its not in Appleworks. You can turn it on in things like iChat for crying out loud.

Anyone know why?

DaveGee
Feb 25, 2003, 09:46 PM
Interesting...

I love researching things like this... :D

I started with (for no specific reason) AlphaMask and found this on MacCentral (story date 5/26/2001)

AlphaMask is making AlphaMask Graphics Library (AGL), its portable 2D graphics engine, available immediately for Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X developers.

AGL is a high-end graphics library that sports such features as anti-alias text and graphics, gradients, matrix transformations and transparency. It ships in third party products on Mac OS, Windows, Linux, and embedded systems, according to MacTech magazine.

"Its like having a cross-platform version of Quartz," AlphaMask CEO Mike Reed said. "AGL provides state of the art 2D graphics to OS X, and everywhere else."

Reed was tech lead on Apple's TrueType and font system before co-founding HeadSpin Technology, which focused on 2D and 3D graphics engines. In 1999 he founded AlphaMask to focus exclusively on 2D graphics and its applications to the new generation of consumer devices. AlphaMask Chief Technical Officer Oliver Steele was a member of the team that developed Apple Computer's QuickDraw GX graphics engine, and the project lead for the development environment of Apple's 4th generation programming language Dylan.

"Text drawing is our forte," Steele said. "That's why AGL supports all the major font formats and 3rd party font scalers: TrueType and Type-1 fonts, and, of course, all of our code is Unicode ready."

Point of interest:

- AlphaMask CEO Mike Reed was tech lead on Apple's TrueType and font system before co-founding HeadSpin Technology, which focused on 2D and 3D graphics engines. In 1999 he founded AlphaMask to focus exclusively on 2D graphics and its applications to the new generation of consumer devices.

Dave

DaveGee
Feb 25, 2003, 09:56 PM
On Daiken:

From a press release from 9/24/2001:

Marin County, California (September 24, 2001) - Sonic Solutions (NASDAQ: SNIC) announced today that its SD-1000 video encoder is now fully compatible with Apple's entry-level DVD Studio Pro authoring system. This provides an option to DVD Studio Pro users who want to add high-quality, real-time video encoding to their system, and also provides an easy upgrade path for DVD Studio Pro users to Sonic's professional DVD authoring applications on the Macintosh: DVD Fusion and DVD Creator.

"Having the Sonic SD-1000 onboard for us means we can quickly create great MPEG files for projects that require fast turnaround, and maintain compatibility with our existing Sonic Fusion and Creator systems as well," said Bruce Nazarian, President, Gnome Digital Media. "It's also a great encoding solution for workgroups."
..snip..

The SD-1000 encoder is based on the same technology used in Sonic's Hollywood-quality SD-2000 model that is used in top post-production facilities worldwide, and can be upgraded to the SD-2000 at any time.

"Although DVD Studio Pro includes an out-of-real-time transcoder, many DVD Studio Pro users have indicated their need for a real-time encoding solution that can capture from tape," said Matt Palmer, Product Manager for Professional Products at Sonic. "Sonic's SD-1000 encoder is a 'tried and true' standard among professional DVD production facilities for creating high-quality MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video, and provides DVD Studio Pro users with the capabilities they have been clamoring for."

SD-1000 Version 2.1.6, which includes compatibility with Apple DVD Studio Pro, is available now through Sonic's worldwide network of professional resellers, at a suggested U.S. list price of $10,000.

This one (given the price range and feature set) fits in well with Apples other high-end purchases such as Shake (another $10k-ish app if I'm not mistaken)

Dave

squatch
Feb 26, 2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by jaykk
I think Mariner Word looks better than AppleWorks, but i didnt try any other features. I hardly ever used AppleWorks.

I am currently running a trial version of Mariner Word and really like the way it looks, feels, and is fast (VERY VERY much like an AppleWorks 7). The only problem with it is that you can't export to Word or even to Appleworks! This is unacceptable and so therefore I have to stick to Office for a bit longer. :(

dricci
Feb 26, 2003, 04:28 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, but AlphaMask has been "purchased by a third party" since November of 2001:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011126210058/http://www.alphamask.com/

The Word Processor thingy seems likely, though.

dstorey
Feb 26, 2003, 06:28 AM
it seems to me even if half these rumors are true that apple are wasting a lot of money. A lot of the companies they seem to be rumorsed to work with (like FusionOne) or buy were set up by ex apple employees and apple pays top dollar to buy them back. Maybe apple don't allow enough creative freedom and staff feel they have to leave and apple keep finding out what they are missing. I'm not sure how many companies set up by ex employees they've bought but i've heard a good few mentioned

BenRoethig
Feb 26, 2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by squatch
I am currently running a trial version of Mariner Word and really like the way it looks, feels, and is fast (VERY VERY much like an AppleWorks 7). The only problem with it is that you can't export to Word or even to Appleworks! This is unacceptable and so therefore I have to stick to Office for a bit longer. :(

With the hiring of former employees of Gobe and the rumored aquisition of Mariner, Apple has themselves a nice core for an updated version of AppleWorks or even an Apple Office. Considering the rumor that AppleWorks 7 will be out in April, I'm inclined to think the latter.

DaveGee
Feb 26, 2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by dstorey
it seems to me even if half these rumors are true that apple are wasting a lot of money. A lot of the companies they seem to be rumorsed to work with (like FusionOne) or buy were set up by ex apple employees and apple pays top dollar to buy them back. Maybe apple don't allow enough creative freedom and staff feel they have to leave and apple keep finding out what they are missing. I'm not sure how many companies set up by ex employees they've bought but i've heard a good few mentioned

Well that might be true but then again how many ex-Apple people have setup comanies that you've never heard of (due to failure)? Gotta look at both sides of the coin.

The way Apple is doing things now Apple lets ex-apple folks use their own money to prove something is 'good AND successful' and then picks only from that group... Save quite a bit of money I'll bet... not to mention far less 'egg on the face' of Apple. Remember a failed software package or whatever tends to make a company look bad (something Apple can't afford to have happen as much as say Microsoft).

Dave

dstorey
Feb 26, 2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by DaveGee
Well that might be true but then again how many ex-Apple people have setup comanies that you've never heard of (due to failure)? Gotta look at both sides of the coin.

The way Apple is doing things now Apple lets ex-apple folks use their own money to prove something is 'good AND successful' and then picks only from that group... Save quite a bit of money I'll bet... not to mention far less 'egg on the face' of Apple. Remember a failed software package or whatever tends to make a company look bad (something Apple can't afford to have happen as much as say Microsoft).

Dave

true and a good point, however there is only egg on the face of apple if the poor software is released. With the majority of software it will be quite feasible to see if it's such a poor product by testing and quality
assurence. Maybe the could do something like the car companies with their prototypes that generally don't get released, but if the product is good and fits a market (like now when apple buys the company) then they can devoe more resources and ge the product ready for release.

I'm not so sure it saves money as we are talking millions for buying these companies while the wages of the staff it let go and development costs are likely to be a good factor lower. Of course it's good for the ex employees which become millionaires overnight.

Mal
Feb 26, 2003, 10:35 AM
Apple has already set the precedent of buy companies to get former employees back. Remember how they got Steve Jobs? They had to buy the whole company just to bring him back, and now maybe he's decided to do the same thing for others who are very creative people and would be good to have back with Apple. I think some of this has already happened, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more.

JW

DaveGee
Feb 26, 2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by skywalker
Apple has already set the precedent of buy companies to get former employees back. Remember how they got Steve Jobs? They had to buy the whole company just to bring him back, and now maybe he's decided to do the same thing for others who are very creative people and would be good to have back with Apple. I think some of this has already happened, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more.

JW

Heh...

They did the same with 'the father of Firewire' (forget his name) but he left Apple to start a firewire company that Apple purchased last year.

Dave

nuckinfutz
Feb 26, 2003, 03:25 PM
Apple hiring back former employees is more of a testament to the quality of their Hardware and Software Engineers.

Former Apple Employees can be fairly successful. I doubt having Apple on your resume is any hinderance whatsoever.

vitoman
Feb 28, 2003, 07:06 PM
Any truth in the rumor that Steve has intimated to Bush that he would be interested in setting up an Apple manufacturing facility in a post Sadam Iraq - as long as it can be renamed iRaq?javascript:smilie(':)')

BubbaTAC
Mar 3, 2003, 03:19 AM
I agree that Nisus would have been (would be) a much better acquisition than mariner. It is also very fast and actually has some features that appleworks doesn't. Wait for the full version for X to come out, but the previous versions have been awesome and innovative. To be honest, I am happy with office...I would like to move away because it is slow and bloated, but I like it. I would be most happy if microsoft released an office lite or express without extra garbage...but I like nisus writer (not a huge fan of their email, I use mail.app), and if Apple put their resources into it, then I think it could eventually become something that might be worth switching for

nuckinfutz
Mar 15, 2003, 02:55 PM
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/tsnotes.html

Plus a new name enters the fray.

http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/

Another unconfirmed tidbit concerns a company called Minnetonka Audio Software, which Apple is said to be considering acquiring for its DVD audio authoring solutions. If true, Apple would integrate Minnetonka's software into future versions of DVD Studio Pro. Contacted by Think Secret, John Calder, Minnetonka's director of marketing, said, "We have no comment at this time."