PDA

View Full Version : Gateway bashes, but uses.

KingArthur
Feb 25, 2003, 06:56 PM
I personally hate the way that Gateway tries to compete with Apple since their own market share is so low that they can't compete with Dell and HP anymore. With all the ads against Apple, you would think that they would be using their own machines since they are "better" than Apple's. Not true. I was just browsing and I stumbled on this on http://news.com.com/2009-1088-984352.html?tag=lh :
Gateway shows the way to a G4 Powerbook

In a print ad touting digital music solutions, a recent Gateway ad features an urban hipster jamming to tunes on his notebook--a PowerBook G4 Titanium notebook to be specific. Gateway said the inclusion of the Mac notebook was a production error and said the ad ran in just one publication in December before being pulled.
[Feb. 19, 2003]

Hmmmmmm:D Looks like someone has been a bad boy;)

mac15
Feb 25, 2003, 07:14 PM
haha, go gateway :)

Macmaniac
Feb 25, 2003, 07:38 PM
I'm sure theres a thread about this:confused: I remember pics at one time.
I eat Gateways mascot on a regular basis!

KingArthur
Feb 25, 2003, 08:10 PM
If there is a thread on this, I am very sorry. I didn't know. I just found it and thought it funny. Heck, there was a time when I use to support Gateway (back when I blindly followed Microsoft). Gateway use to be good, but I now dislike them with a passion. The only major PC manufacturers I don't have a quarrel with is IBM and HP.

yzedf
Feb 25, 2003, 08:16 PM
HP sucks too. They are one with Compaq now. That is all it takes for me :(

The ad guy that is responsible for the mistake is prolly some clueless mac user that doesn't know that there is more than one type of computer in the world... ;)

<ducks>

spinner
Feb 25, 2003, 08:17 PM
It also made it all the way to the The Five Dumbest Things on Wall Street This Week on thestreet.com

Link (http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/markets/dumbestgm/10069173.html)

With a marketing department like this who needs enemies. :D

DakotaGuy
Feb 25, 2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by KingArthur
If there is a thread on this, I am very sorry. I didn't know. I just found it and thought it funny. Heck, there was a time when I use to support Gateway (back when I blindly followed Microsoft). Gateway use to be good, but I now dislike them with a passion. The only major PC manufacturers I don't have a quarrel with is IBM and HP.

We bought a couple of new IBM 2.4Ghz PIV NetVista's at the school and they are the best PC's we have. They even still have a metal enclosure. The price is right now and this summer we will probably buy a few more. I live about 50 miles from the Gateway factory, but we have had such poor luck with then we will not buy anymore. Now only if we would ever go back to Apple.

FelixDerKater
Feb 25, 2003, 11:32 PM
IBM still makes a decent PC. They just don't make it into store like they did at one point.

jefhatfield
Feb 26, 2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
IBM still makes a decent PC. They just don't make it into store like they did at one point.

my first days as a techie was in sales and i really liked the ibm computers due to their reliability...not something they were known for in the 90s

the damage of ibm's bad years in the 90s was too much to reverse, even for ibm so they basically told the company i was with that they had to "shut down" retail operations and sell only online

a lot of poeple also were into looks, too and ibm was not hip in this department

on the pc side, the best machines are still those built from parts to a user's designations by a knowledgeable or even semi-knowledgeable person...and in most cases, these home made machines do not match in color with the components and are often in ugly beige cases

so when i see an ibm product, i realize it's every bit as good as a sony, but minus the industrial design

and since ibm has ported their gear to the internet only, their prices have come down which is good...another thing which hurt ibm on the retail level besides looks and former bad reputation, was that their prices were 5-10% percent above other makes like toshiba, hp, and compaq

and on the corporate level, ibm was saved by their former ceo through an almost suicidal amount of layoffs so while the gear got better and cheaper, their reputation as an employer in the corporate world took a dive

when i see bad moves like that, i realize apple is not the only company which makes mistakes...it is just that when apple goofs up, i notice because it affects me:p

FelixDerKater
Feb 26, 2003, 02:06 PM
We won't get into the silly IBM PC's they sold through RadioShack in the late 90's that had all of the icons on the desktop animated like some kind of circus.

ibookin'
Feb 26, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I'm sure theres a thread about this:confused: I remember pics at one time.

I eat Apples as well as Gateways logo on a regular basis.

Shrek
Feb 26, 2003, 10:06 PM
I think Apple should buy out Gateway. Ha! :D

alset
Feb 27, 2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Shrek

I'd like to see Gateway merge with Dell and slowly deplete Dell's cash reserves.

Dan

Nipsy
Feb 27, 2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Macmaniac

Brilliant!

MacQuest
Feb 27, 2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by alset
I'd like to see Gateway merge with Dell and slowly deplete Dell's cash reserves.

Dan

LOL!!

BTW, the one circulated issue that this Gateway/PowerBook ad happened to appear in [page 11] was PC Magazines "Best of the Year 2002" [January 2003] wrap-up where they also named Apple's 17" flat panel iMac as the top Editor's Choice [page 92].

Double whammy!!

Thanks Gateway and PC Magazine!!:D

jefhatfield
Feb 27, 2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Shrek

1) apple's cash reserves have lost over 2 billion in recent years with the cube being introduced too high, dot.com going bust, os x not jumping out of the gates fast enough, 5% market share down to just over 2%, 1 1/2 years research and $$$ to come up with blue dalmation and flower power, some stupid and expensive commercials, ipod being introduced too high and pc version too late, charging for .mac after having it be free, etc...

2) our raiders in northern california beat your titans...well, and then...you know what happened;)

KingArthur
Mar 1, 2003, 01:48 AM
Luckily, Apple, as of the official start of the current recession, had several billion dollars saved in the banks just to make sure that they could make it through the next number of years.

JSRockit
Mar 1, 2003, 09:51 AM
Old news...though I have the magazine for laughs.