Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
I think thats what they are called, but I have some questions.

1. I know windows machines currently beet the G4 in those tests(mostly integer), but that isnt tested with altivec is it? If not, how do we stand with altivec?

2. Does anyone know where I can get some benchmarks? I want to compare my g4 733 to my friends celeron.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: SPEC tests

Originally posted by Vlade
I think thats what they are called, but I have some questions.

1. I know windows machines currently beet the G4 in those tests(mostly integer), but that isnt tested with altivec is it? If not, how do we stand with altivec?

2. Does anyone know where I can get some benchmarks? I want to compare my g4 733 to my friends celeron.

1) We get the **** beaten out of us less badly (The G4 does really really horribly on SPEC). On a few things like RC5, we do some beating ourselves, but for most things, the clock difference is just too high. Also, Intel's compiler can automatically use their Altivec equivalent in certain situations, and Apple's (GCC) can't do that.

2)Find a program you both use. Time it. That's the only truly accurate benchmark. Every synthetic benchmark has a bias, and each real world app also has a bias. If an app is memory bound, it makes sense to use a memory bound benchmark. As for cross platform benchmarks... try searching for caffiene mark and seeing if it's free (make sure to install Java 1.4.1 from the apple developer page before you do it though, it boosts Java performance a bunch). If that's not free, I'm not sure what you could use.

Celerons are kinda odd. The P4 Celeron should get beaten down for any app that isn't memory bound, unless it has a HUGE clockspeed advantage over the G4. It's basically an original P4 (they seriously sucked), with half the cache (not a nice thing to do to a processor like the P4). The P3 Celerons are a good deal better per clock, although the clockspeed difference makes them lose to their P4 brethren.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.