Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
This Dow Jones Newswire story reports on Apple's Financial Officer, Fred Anderson, speaking at the Goldman Sachs Technology Symposium. Anderson reportedly stated that a "good intermediate goal" was to reach a 5% marketshare (from 3%).

Beyond this, Anderson hints at future products
Users of Macintosh machines from Apple also are "going to see more and more software coming out of Apple," Mr. Anderson said.

Apple has been aggressively introducing new software over the past few years, expanding its library with both iApps and Professional Apps. The latest additions have been to both internet and office areas with Safari and Keynote.

There have been some unsubstantiated hints of more Apple software acquisitions - which have yet to find serious confirmation. Meanwhile, a number of software updates appear to be in line for April releases... with hints of iTunes, Final Cut Pro 4 and possibly Appleworks.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
there is no doubt in my mind when steve said this will be a great year.

iJon

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I really hate the 5% crap. Why don't they come up with a home user market share? There's only that many more PCs out there because big corporations buy lightweight super cheap PCs to act as typewriters on steroids (personally I wouldnt want anyone doing that to a mac.. its almost hurts me to see a mac not used to its potential) .. How about a market share analysis on computers that matter? Computers that actually serve a purpose in this world... and i bet then apple has a much larger marketshare than 5%...

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
My whole rationale about investing so much of my money into Apple stocks is that they have such a low market share, so if they gain just one percent, they will eventially have 33% growth.

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
timbloom,

after the goldman meeting apple shares went up nicely.
seems the investing community is seeing the potential too.
as a long suffering shareholder, i just wish you are right :)

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
thats only 5% of marketshare sales , there is a still huge install base, so 5% is not so spot on. Ambitiouslemon.com has some figures but its not up now.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Dell only gets 15% of it's revenue from it's Home division, so it's pretty important for Apple to expand their new business division pretty damn fast.

michaelyoung

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2002
Originally posted by Nebrie
Dell only gets 15% of it's revenue from it's Home division, so it's pretty important for Apple to expand their new business division pretty damn fast.

Why so fast?

Mindfield

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2003
Re: More Software and Marketshare

Originally posted by Macrumors
This Dow Jones Newswire story reports on Apple's Financial Officer, Fred Anderson, speaking at the Goldman Sachs Technology Symposium. Anderson reportedly stated that a "good intermediate goal" was to reach a 5% marketshare (from 3%).

Yeah baby, yeah :D

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I do have to give Apple credit for really pushing the software these past few years. It's made my life a lot easier! Now the day that OS X gets up to the level of OS 9 maturity-wise and perceived speed-wise, that will be a great day indeed. :)

Oh, but what I'm looking forward to the most is the PPC970... we will be back in the saddle again!

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
5% is too small

It is not a good sign for Apple when they admit the best they can manage is 5% market share. How about taking steps to dominate the market? All the work that has gone into their software would be wasted if only a fraction of people can use them. Furthermore, a few months after Apple brings an innovative product to the market its competitors rip it off and sell it to Windows users. It happened with the Mac OS when Microsoft ripped it off, iMovie, iPod, etc. Apple should go all out and invade Microsoft's space otherwise the best it can manage is niche product status.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Re: 5% is too small

Originally posted by Sol
It is not a good sign for Apple when they admit the best they can manage is 5% market share. How about taking steps to dominate the market? All the work that has gone into their software would be wasted if only a fraction of people can use them. Furthermore, a few months after Apple brings an innovative product to the market its competitors rip it off and sell it to Windows users. It happened with the Mac OS when Microsoft ripped it off, iMovie, iPod, etc. Apple should go all out and invade Microsoft's space otherwise the best it can manage is niche product status.

Companies with a niche product can survive just fine. Like fancy car companies (arg, I hate this analogy, but it actually fits here...). And Apple can't compete on the low-end el-cheapo bulk boxes corporations buy.

3-5% is just in quartly sales. The lifetime of an average Mac is much longer, and many people replace their PCs yearly. Also, how about the people who buy PCs just to wipe the drive of Windows and put Linux or BSD on there to run a server? Yes, a Windows licence was sold, but is it being used? Same thing with corporate machines. It's a glorified typewriter that is on from 9 am to 5 pm, and does nothing more.

These are things people don't seem to factor in when judging Apple's marketshare. Apple has never been in a dominating position in the PC industry, they've always been a niche. And they've survived through a lot worser times than right now (right now it's a very good time to be an Apple user, and I'm sure it will just keep getting better throughout this year!). While it's not bad to be a niche product (as long as you're making money and have great products), Apple's still not as "small" in the home user markets as many people perceive.

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
The only percentages I would trust are from Google
Since any PC not used as a print server or a cash register but actually used as a Personal computer will be on the net, and if you are on the net you are probably going to use Google.

synp

macrumors member
May 22, 2001
Google may be a bit off

Non IE-on-Win browsers have the ability to pretend to be something else in both browser type and Operating System.

This may cause the Mac and Linux figures to be too low.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
In a couple of browsers you are able to "choose" the user agent. If you use the "Debug" menu in Safari for instance, and choose Windows MSIE 6 what will google "think" you are using?
My point is here that no-one using IE on Windows will choose another user agent, but some mac users will. Maybe this 4% figure is slightly too low??? (wishfull thinking perhaps :) )

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by insidedanshead
I really hate the 5% crap. Why don't they come up with a home user market share? There's only that many more PCs out there because big corporations buy lightweight super cheap PCs to act as typewriters on steroids (personally I wouldnt want anyone doing that to a mac.. its almost hurts me to see a mac not used to its potential) .. How about a market share analysis on computers that matter? Computers that actually serve a purpose in this world... and i bet then apple has a much larger marketshare than 5%...

5% may look low, but compared to all other computer manufacturers, Apple has the third biggest market share.

OBVIOUSLY when you compare Apple versus ALL PC companies you lose, but Apple is only behind HP/Compaq and Dell as far as marketshare goes.

Apple isn't going anywhere. I think this is an important point to make.

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by backspinner
I wonder what the 4% "other" will be? Maybe a misconfigured browser?

Maybe OS/2. It still has a small, active community supporting it - and runs pretty much all the airports in the country. IBM has not officially killed it yet because there is a user base.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto
Maybe OS/2. It still has a small, active community supporting it - and runs pretty much all the airports in the country. IBM has not officially killed it yet because there is a user base.

I just saw it announced recently (within the past month):
IBM has announced an EOL date for OS/2 support.

-hh

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by mac15
thats only 5% of marketshare sales , there is a still huge install base, so 5% is not so spot on. Ambitiouslemon.com has some figures but its not up now.

Good point. If you make crappy machines that last half as long, you can sell twice as many of them.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Re: More Software and Marketshare

Originally posted by Macrumors
The latest additions have been to both internet and office areas with Safari and Keynote.

I would be very open to a new beefier word processor form Apple. I don't like Appleworks and picture management in Word is atrocious. A Word with PageMaker graphic handling and Keynote style.

But Apple has to beware and not try the razor blade methodology. 12 templates in Keynote is not enough. Apple needs a site such as office.microsoft.com. In addition to the plethora of included templates, Microsoft gives away tons of professionally deisgned templates, clip art, tips, etc. for its entire office suite. You can even request templates.

Apple would do well to take note. Keynote and Document plus packs will go nowhere fast.

Office.microsoft.com is one of the best features of Office. Sure for most people Office is overpriced, but look at the value this site adds. Apple can do this.

First steps:

.Mac free for registered mac owners. Minimal charge for Windows users

Start building the appleoffice.apple.com infrastructure. (Professionally deisgned templates for keynote, clip art. Get the word processor out the door. Excel will be tough, but it it can put a Keynote type face and UI on a spreadsheet engine comparable and 100% compatible with Excel, I think they could get to 10% in less than 5 years.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.