Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnpartridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Just Thought it would be interesting to see what fellow Photographers are prepared to do for the perfect shot.

Hope We get some interesting posts.

John Partridge

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Damn, I can't wait till my iMac is repaired.

Have some shots IIRC of a model shoot that was part of the Bronica RF645 roll out/training in Tampa a few years back. The instructors and model were impressed given the misty rain - that I was crawling on my belly to get a decent shot.

Because of time (many years) and many moves - I have lost many images from my teens and early 20's. I would go around town with a small step ladder hanging off of straps on my shoulder, in order to get a different view.

And I have had the "pleasure" of meeting MP's from the AF and Navy on two different occasions. The first was an AF MP and his "friendly" german shepard, as I tried to photograph the "flying command post" - the (at the time, new) 747 that the President would use in an all out war. The other was hearing Navy MP's with machine guns trained on me, saying that I could not take pictures of the USS Enterprise (which was docked in the Va Beach area at the time).

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Sometimes you have to sweat it out. I've often had to crawl around in the grass. It isn't easy doing that in the hot miami sun for hours, with a fully manual lens, chasing dragonflies. It is incredibly difficult to get very close without scaring them off. You have to move so slowly and quietly. I aimed to get as close as humanly possible to get as much detail as I could.

Johnpartridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Sorry people , i forgot to post what ive done to get the perfect shot.

Funnly enough, just today i was crawling around by a bee hive to take shots as they were leaving/returning to the neighbouring flowers. Pretty silly i know, as i realised i was wearing a yellow t-shirt.

Ive done other things like stood outside in torrential rain with the camera in a plastic bag with lens poking out to take photos of a local prom (poor time to be walking out in a dress), it ended up i was taking photos of the water dripping off a tropical plant rather than the prom.

There we go , i will add anymore when i come to think of them.

Lets get these posts comming...

John Partridge

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yup, the neighbors have chuckled indulgently as they've seen me squatting or lying in the midst of a flowerbed trying to get "the" shot....and my friends have learned not to be alarmed when I suddenly disappear from their sides at an event and reappear standing on a chair or even a table to get good images from better vantage points than eye-level (I'm short, only 5'3).....

One time I got some really wonderful shots of a little boy milking a cow....he was on one side of the cow and I was on the udder side, under the cow, one eye on her feet to make sure she wouldn't step on me and the other eye in the viewfinder to try and get the shots. Interesting perspective one gets when under a cow....

ModestPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
OKC
i stood on my roof during a tornado to get a shot once...for about 10 minutes then i ran inside and went into the basement....

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Well a more embarassing story is a time I took my D70 out in a little drizzle.

Actually it was the then-category-1 Hurricane Katrina when it hit Miami. I stayed outside with the D70 and 17-35/2.8 as the rain and wind started, and finally went inside after it got real bad (carports lifted up by the wind and the like). Still took shots through the windows and on the back patio (covered).

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Silentwave said:
Well a more embarassing story is a time I took my D70 out in a little drizzle.

Actually it was the then-category-1 Hurricane Katrina when it hit Miami. I stayed outside with the D70 and 17-35/2.8 as the rain and wind started, and finally went inside after it got real bad (carports lifted up by the wind and the like). Still took shots through the windows and on the back patio (covered).

Care to share a couple of your best from this?

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
They may have been lost in my last computer crash (windows). I have to check. They may be on my old external HD which also has my D70 files on it as a backup (my main external is the one I use normally for D70 files.) If not there is a slim chance they may be on my mother's computer...but i'm not optimistic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.