PDA

View Full Version : Should I install MacOS X at work

noelmac75
Feb 26, 2003, 09:21 AM
Iam thinking of upgraded my G4 450 to MAc OS X from 9, I use it mainly at work, i dont know if i should upgrade in case something goes wrong, needs more memory, graphics card isnt powerful enough etc. Will is lose all my work if I do an install or do i have to backup everything.

Bear
Feb 26, 2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by noelmac75
Iam thinking of upgraded my G4 450 to MAc OS X from 9, I use it mainly at work, i dont know if i should upgrade in case something goes wrong, needs more memory, graphics card isnt powerful enough etc. Will is lose all my work if I do an install or do i have to backup everything.
Are you running 9.22? Things should be fine for installing OS X. And if you have problems due to memeory or video card, you can always just keep booting in OS 9.

However, if you haven't backed up you system I would do that first. Regular backups are a good idea. Remember a disk could always fail.

FredAkbar
Feb 26, 2003, 09:31 AM
As long as you've got at least 256 MB of memory, you should be fine. I installed OS X on a 400 MHz G3 iMac and it ran fine. You don't have to back before you install, since OS X won't replace any of your OS 9 folders (unless perhaps you have folders directly in your hard window that are named "Library" or "Users." OS X makes folders with these names (among others) so I'm not sure what would happen if you already had folders in your hard drive window with the same name. Other than that, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.)

--Fred

idkew
Feb 26, 2003, 10:30 AM
wel, if i were working, periodic crashes would be nice. can't complain about a break every hour or so, so you machine can reboot.

on the other hand, if all your business software is in x, you will be much more productive since it won't crash or lose data, so that's an advantage.

a 450 is more than enough. i would reccomend more ram than 256, but that is prolly not your decision, and 256 with do fine with it.

but DO backup. always backup before a system change/update. ALWAYS. not to mention on a daily/weekly basis.

howard
Feb 26, 2003, 10:42 AM
i know a few people with only 128 megs of ram that run os x fine. it should run just fine.

Maclicious
Feb 26, 2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by howard
i know a few people with only 128 megs of ram that run os x fine. it should run just fine.

My wife uses the clamshell iBook (300 MHz, 192 MB RAM) with OS X with little problem. But, more memory might allow her to keep more programs open simultaneously.

Megaquad
Feb 26, 2003, 12:57 PM
For what do you use that iMac on work? Because OS X could make you VERY frustrated with its slowness. If efficiency and fast workflow is what you need - stay in OS 9.
These iMacs are dog slow in X, i've tried few of them including 500 mhz g3 and didn't notice any difference.. They are all slow, spinning beachballs,slow apps launchs etc.
I use OSX on mine because I like to keep up with mac world and.. well, I'm a geek:D

Jaykay
Feb 26, 2003, 01:37 PM
Funny story, i installed jaguar on two iMacs (a blueberry iMac and a DV Graphite iMac) and a
on the first reboot after it was installed, BOTH screens went all green and funny looking, they stayed like that no matter what, then one of the screens failed (DV iMac). I sent both machines to my apple dealer (who i know quite well) and he said the video board was gone on the DV iMac. They're still trying to fix it. Meanwhile the blueberry iMac sits on the floor in my room.

So, in my opinion dont install it on an old iMac . I know its not a G4 but hey...

FelixDerKater
Feb 26, 2003, 01:38 PM
Your system is only 50MHz slower than my TiBook, and OS X works just fine for daily work. There is a minor loss in speed, but the multitasking and stability make up for that many times over.