PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive does not appear in Finder / Desktop

smwatson
Jun 18, 2006, 06:18 AM
I started up my iMac (see sig) this morning as usual, and noticed that my hard drive ("Macintosh HD") did not appear on the desktop, or in Finder windows. I checked Finder preferences to see if the option to show it was checked, and it was. I tried restarting, logging out and back in, and god knows what else to try and solve the problem. However, it still hasnt appeared. Any help? (i know that it works as i was working on an image in photoshop at the time of noticing it, and i had several word documents open)

imacintel
Jun 18, 2006, 10:07 AM
I started up my iMac (see sig) this morning as usual, and noticed that my hard drive ("Macintosh HD") did not appear on the desktop, or in Finder windows. I checked Finder preferences to see if the option to show it was checked, and it was. I tried restarting, logging out and back in, and god knows what else to try and solve the problem. However, it still hasnt appeared. Any help? (i know that it works as i was working on an image in photoshop at the time of noticing it, and i had several word documents open)

Find a file called com.apple.finder.plist or something similar, and put it in the the Trash.

Restart, and see.

smwatson
Jun 19, 2006, 07:02 AM
Did it, nothing. Still doesnt appear. Iv verified it with Disk Utility, repaired permissions, and still not there. I also opened it (through quicksilver) and can open it in finder, and everything runs fine, its just that there is no icon :confused:

Gokhan
Jun 19, 2006, 11:12 AM
just create a ıcon form the one ın the fınder prefs and place ıt on ur destop

smwatson
Jun 19, 2006, 11:36 AM
Tried that, didnt work though.

yellow
Jun 19, 2006, 11:38 AM
If you log in as another user does it appear as normal?

smwatson
Jun 19, 2006, 12:00 PM
nope. I created new user (i only have one account normally) and the HD was not visible on desktop/sidebar. Im getting quite annoyed/scared

smwatson
Jun 20, 2006, 03:27 AM
Anyone? Could really do with some help here

mad jew
Jun 20, 2006, 04:10 AM
Is there any semblance of an icon? Maybe take a screenshot. I can't help but feel there's something simple we've overlooked. :)

just create a ıcon form the one ın the fınder prefs and place ıt on ur destop

Dude, remember to cross the t and dot the i. :p

smwatson
Jun 20, 2006, 04:23 AM
Ok so first one shows how the option is ticked for it to appear on desktop, but it doesnt.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/sm_watson/Fullscreen_1.png

And second shows that option is ticked for it to appear in sidebar, but it doesnt.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/sm_watson/Fullscreen_12.png

That help you?

mad jew
Jun 20, 2006, 04:33 AM
Thanks, it helps a little bit. I just wanted to see if there was any sort of mark where the icon should be.

This is a bit weird since your computer is otherwise behaving pretty normally and you have full access to your drive. Plus, it's recognised in Disk Utility as mounted and fine. Weird.

Do you have any theme changers or system hacks installed? :)

smwatson
Jun 20, 2006, 04:36 AM
nope not that im aware of. Or, i havnt installed anything recently that could be considered to be a system hack.

mad jew
Jun 20, 2006, 04:53 AM
Yeah, sorry, I've got no idea where to go from here. I guess reinstalling the latest combo update couldn't hurt. That'd be the PPC version of 10.4.6 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1046comboforppc.html) for the iMac in your signature, I assume. :)

I don't claim it'll work, but there's a slim chance. Fingers crossed.

smwatson
Jun 20, 2006, 04:54 AM
ok cheers, thanks for your help. Ill run the update this afternoon when i have time. Got an exam soon so ill do it after that.
Cheers

mad jew
Jun 20, 2006, 04:59 AM
Good luck with the exam, and the update. :p

smwatson
Jun 20, 2006, 01:56 PM
Exam went well, the update, not so much.

Update installed fine, and im now running 10.4.6 fine. Runs well. However, my Hard Drive still does NOT appear on desktop/finder. Infuriating to say the least :mad: At least everything works fine :p

yellow
Jun 20, 2006, 02:05 PM
Well, the fact that it's universal to your system (to me at least), points to something in /Library/Preferences/ as the culprit. What that is, I am not yet sure. We can try a shotgun approach in a little bit, but for the moment let me investigate more.

At the very least, I really highly doubt a reinstallation is necessary at this juncture.

Odd thought while I was at it... what if your HD icon IS showing up, it's just OFF the screen?
Have you tried changing screen resolution briefly and "Arrrange by" in the View options in the Finder?

Also.. ditch the caches in /Library/Caches/

realityisterror
Jun 20, 2006, 02:12 PM
In Terminal, try:

cd /Volumes
ls

Does your drive show up there?

MacBoobsPro
Jun 20, 2006, 02:15 PM
Well, the fact that it's universal to your system (to me at least), points to something in /Library/Preferences/ as the culprit. What that is, I am not yet sure. We can try a shotgun approach in a little bit, but for the moment let me investigate more.

At the very least, I really highly doubt a reinstallation is necessary at this juncture.

Odd thought while I was at it... what if your HD icon IS showing up, it's just OFF the screen?
Have you tried changing screen resolution briefly and "Arrrange by" in the View options in the Finder?

Also.. ditch the caches in /Library/Caches/

Thats what I was thinking maybe its actually just off your screen? Have you tried clicking 'clean up' in the view menu at top of screen? Its happened to me before I opened a load of files on my desktop once and accidentally dragged the HD off the screen. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also would accidentally adding a 'period' to the start of the filename make it dissappear? i.e. hidden file? Just a thought!

yellow
Jun 20, 2006, 02:16 PM
Does your drive show up there?

It would have to.. it's his boot volume.

smwatson
Jun 20, 2006, 02:30 PM
Well firstly, it definetly isnt off the screen, iv cleaned up desktop, changed resolution etc and it doesnt appear.

Secondly, the name doesnt begin with "." as iv opened it via. Quicksilver as usual.

Also, in case it helps, if i click on my computer icon in sidebar, the HD doesnt appear there.

smwatson
Jun 21, 2006, 06:07 AM
also iv noticed, that when I open the drive in finder, the icon appears translucent. Does this mean anything?

mad jew
Jun 21, 2006, 09:04 AM
I think that means Finder thinks it's hidden. I'm not sure why Spotlight doesn't think the same though. :confused:

Sorry I can't really help. :o

yellow
Jun 21, 2006, 09:06 AM
If you use Cocktail or some such app to "show all hidden files", does it show up?

(or)

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

If so.. I might have another idea.

smwatson
Jun 21, 2006, 09:48 AM
This is probably a really stupid question, but i take it i input that code in terminal :confused: :confused:

yellow
Jun 21, 2006, 10:19 AM
Yes. It's the command line verison of what GUIfied apps dowhen they show/hide everything in the Finder.

smwatson
Jun 21, 2006, 11:41 AM
I input that, it appears in Desktop but not in Sidebar. Now how do i turn that off because now i have all these random files everywhere :confused: :rolleyes:

yellow
Jun 21, 2006, 01:01 PM
I input that, it appears in Desktop but not in Sidebar. Now how do i turn that off because now i have all these random files everywhere

Reverse what you did.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

So, the Finder thinks it's invisible.

Before I suggest further (using SetFile from XCode Tools), I need to test and see if it's actually possible to do what I was going to suggest.

smwatson
Jun 21, 2006, 01:31 PM
Okey dokey :)

yellow
Jun 21, 2006, 01:37 PM
Before we get into that.. out of curiosity, try this (in Terminal.app):

cd ~/Library/Preferences
defaults read com.apple.finder | grep ShowHardDrivesOnDesktop

And let us know what the output is.

I know all this is pretty convoluted, but we'e trying to avoid a reinstall. And this issue appears to be popping up more and more.

Unfortunately, we're hurtling towards a reinstall. :mad:

smwatson
Jun 21, 2006, 01:51 PM
Inputted that code; nothing. :mad:
If i reinstall will i lose files? Because i have some stuff that isnt backed up at the moment. i.e. my entire documents/photos folders (my external gave up a few weeks ago, will use my iPod for now)

yellow
Jun 21, 2006, 02:13 PM
Inputted that code; nothing. :mad:

That's odd..

Next Step:

defaults write com.apple.finder.plist ShowHardDrivesOnDesktop 1

Then logout and log back in. Does your HD show up on the Desktop?

Eraserhead
Jun 21, 2006, 02:34 PM
Ok to make it appear in the sidebar, click and drag it over the sidebar from your desktop (while hidden files are enabled), I think you accidently changed the permissions of your HD, to change it back, type in Terminal

'cd /Volumes/' (without single quotations) then Enter then
'chmod 755 "Macintosh HD"' (without single but with double quotations) where Macintosh HD is replaced by the name of your hard drive.

smwatson
Jun 22, 2006, 08:08 AM
That's odd..

Next Step:

defaults write com.apple.finder.plist ShowHardDrivesOnDesktop 1

Then logout and log back in. Does your HD show up on the Desktop?

Hard Drive doesnt appear from that code either.

Ok to make it appear in the sidebar, click and drag it over the sidebar from your desktop (while hidden files are enabled), I think you accidently changed the permissions of your HD, to change it back, type in Terminal

'cd /Volumes/' (without single quotations) then Enter then
'chmod 755 "Macintosh HD"' (without single but with double quotations) where Macintosh HD is replaced by the name of your hard drive.

Cant make it appear in Sidebar like that, it wont let me drag & drop.
Also, that second code results in:
"Cannot recognise "chmod", User does not have sufficent permission"
(words to that affect)

Eraserhead
Jun 22, 2006, 09:41 AM
Hard Drive doesnt appear from that code either.

Cant make it appear in Sidebar like that, it wont let me drag & drop.
Also, that second code results in:
"Cannot recognise "chmod", User does not have sufficent permission"
(words to that affect)

Damn, to do it my way you'll need to enable the root account on your Mac, have you tried repairing permissions yet?
see
http://www.spy-hill.com/~myers/help/apple/EnableRoot.html for how to enable the root account, set a good password for this and disable root again when you have finished.

yellow
Jun 22, 2006, 09:54 AM
Damn, to do it my way you'll need to enable the root account on your Mac, have you tried repairing permissions yet?
see
http://www.spy-hill.com/~myers/help/apple/EnableRoot.html for how to enable the root account, set a good password for this and disable root again when you have finished.

nooooo... There's no need for enabling root.

you need to use sudo. That's it's purpose.

Before you do that, however, it's HIGHLY unlikely that the permissions are wrong on the root of the drive. There would be far more problems than missing icons. Besides, a Permission Repair would fix any perms problems on the root of the drive. So I'd suggest not trying to do that again.

So.. attempting to change the ShowHardDrivesOnDesktop key didn't work eh? It was a longshot. Can you please post the outcome of this once again, so we can see if it was actually written to the plist?

cd ~/Library/Preferences
defaults read com.apple.finder | grep ShowHardDrivesOnDesktop

Beyond THAT.. we're getting down to the nitty gritty. Again, I need to test and see if SetFile will invis/uninvis an HD.

After that (assuming it doesn't work), I'm out of ideas and I guess it'd be up to a reinstall.

I'll get back to you.

yellow
Jun 22, 2006, 10:52 AM
I'll get back to you.

OK, soo.. using SetFile to make the root drive invis DID **** up the Finder.

Now it doesn't show the HD on the Desktop, even though it's checked in the Finder prefs, and that is confirmed in the com.apple.finder.plist as being visible (ShowHardDrivesOnDesktop=1, aka TRUE). Which would totally jive with your problems trying to use the Finder prefs and it having no effect at all.

/Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo on / shows that the drive is currently set to "V" (invisible), as opposed to "v" (visible). Setting it back to "v" worked!!

Hopefully this will take care of your problem:

You need to install XCode Tools. Either from the installer DVD, or downloaded from http://developer.apple.com. A basic install should do just fine. After installation..

Let's check and see what it's attirbs are:

Open Terminal.app, type:

cd /Developer/Tools
./GetFileInfo /

The output should have something like this in it:

attributes: aVbstClinmedz

Does yours have a capital V or lowercase v?

If it's a capital V, then continue, type:

./SetFile -a v /

Now logout and log back in. Is your HD back on your Desktop?
It should be!

<crossed fingers> (damn I hope this works)

EDIT: Fixed a spelling mistake in /Developer/

Eraserhead
Jun 22, 2006, 12:23 PM
nooooo... There's no need for enabling root.

you need to use sudo. That's it's purpose.

forgive my ignorance but what is sudo? what does it mean? (I suppose this means I shouldn't be trying to answer the question :o)

yellow
Jun 22, 2006, 12:37 PM
forgive my ignorance but what is sudo? what does it mean? (I suppose this means I shouldn't be trying to answer the question :o)

man sudo (http://www.hmug.org/man/8/sudo.php) ( or open Terminal.app and type: man sudo )

smwatson
Jun 23, 2006, 06:59 AM
Open Terminal.app, type:

cd /Developers/Tools
./GetFileInfo /

./SetFile -a v /

It should be!

Are you sure that is the right code to get attributes because it doesnt recognise it

Eraserhead
Jun 23, 2006, 08:10 AM
man sudo (http://www.hmug.org/man/8/sudo.php) ( or open Terminal.app and type: man sudo )
Thanks

yellow
Jun 23, 2006, 08:45 AM
Are you sure that is the right code to get attributes because it doesnt recognise it

I sure am.. syntax is important, note there's a space between GetFileInfo and the trailing /. And you're in the /Developer/Tools/ directory, right?

EDIT: I see the problem.. spelling error in my last post. I added an "s" to /Developer. Corrected below.

cd /Developer/Tools/
./GetFileInfo /

yellow% ./GetFileInfo /
directory: "/"
attributes: avbstClinmedz
created: 10/06/2003 18:36:50
modified: 06/20/2006 14:59:48

smwatson
Jun 23, 2006, 10:30 AM
I (think) entered it correctly, and got the following output:

Usage: /Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo [-a[<attrib_letter>] | -t | -c | -m ] <path>

yellow
Jun 23, 2006, 10:38 AM
If you got that, you didn't enter it correctly. It is:

./GetFileInfo<space>/<return>

Where <space> refers to a space, and <return> refers to hitting return.

smwatson
Jun 24, 2006, 08:14 AM
It worked perfectly :D :D
Thanks so much :D

deebster
Jun 24, 2006, 09:30 AM

Same from me.

I don't know how this problem occurred but it has been bugging me for hours today. Your Developer Tools tip worked perfectly.

Thanks yellow :)

Edit***

LOL, and now I have the same issue with the first partition on my external firewire disk.

Any idea how to set the visibility status for that please?

Edit 2***

Never mind. Disk Utility was able to fix it somehow.

yellow
Jun 26, 2006, 10:43 AM

Well, I'm glad we got there. Sorry it took so long, but I hate reinstalls if there is a viable, easier, better alternative.

I'm curious how your HD got set to be invis, but glad it worked!

guy.sutton
Dec 3, 2007, 08:31 PM
This happened to me as well, I narrowed it down to one of two things:
1. Changing the permissions of Macintosh HD.
2. Using Parallels in shared mode.
I tried everything above and it didn't fix the problem.

guy.sutton
Dec 3, 2007, 11:46 PM
Using FileBuddy from macupdate.com
1. Enable administrator privileges
2. File -> Get Info -> Choose -> Macintosh HD (default selection)
3. Uncheck the box on the left which should be ticked as invisible

This mounts the Macintosh HD on the desktop again, but I still can't get it back on the sidebar.

There are problems with the new front row as well so I'm going back to tiger until the bugs are fixed.

guy.sutton
Dec 4, 2007, 12:48 AM
After you have followed the instructions above using filebuddy, do a finder search for a file named "com.apple.sidebarlists.plist" (you will need to activate the search to include hidden system files, delete this file and reboot your computer.

outcry27
Dec 5, 2007, 03:09 PM
I too am having the exact same problem. I've followed the instructions in the thread up to the ./SetFile -a v / bit, at which point I run into a problem. After entering the commands and double checking my syntax, I hit enter and get the following:

ERROR: Unexpected Error. (-5000) on file: /

I'm guessing this is a permissions error. I've already run a Permissions Repair in DU. Any suggestions?

yellow
Dec 5, 2007, 03:11 PM
Well...

You're trying to hide the root folder??

outcry27
Dec 5, 2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the awesomely fast reply.

And no, I'm trying to un-hide it. I have the same invisible HD problem as the original poster. It's making me very :(

outcry27
Dec 5, 2007, 03:24 PM
problem fixed - a little more Googlin and I learned how to Sudo. Rebooting now to see if it fixed the drive problem!

For anyone else who may run into this problem in the future, the solution is to add the command "sudo" to the beginning of the command line. Like so:

sudo ./SetFile -a v /

It will then ask you for your password to override the permissions.

yellow
Dec 5, 2007, 03:35 PM
The need to use sudo was covered earlier in this thread. ;)

But then I forgot that this thread was about the root drive not appearing in the Finder, so we're even. :)

outcry27
Dec 6, 2007, 01:35 AM
Getting down to the "root" of my problem, after fixing the invisible drive I should have then been able to finish re-installing my Windows partition. I found out tonight that what had happened was the latest expansion to EVE Online, called "Trinity", which launched tonight apparently contained a critical bug in a certain part of content that has been erasing the boot.ini file from some Windows XP users' systems.

Yes, you read that correctly, EVE Online completely borked my laptop's operating systems. Apparently whatever it did affected my OSs so much that it cause me to have to re-format my windows partition and try to re-install Windows. Only I can't reinstall it, because somehow my macbook's CD drive has ceased working at the same time. When I put a disk in, it just clicks very quietly for a little while and then honks at me and spits the disk back out.

Today just hasn't been my day. :(

guy.sutton
Dec 6, 2007, 08:58 PM
Far out guys! dont worry about all that terminal console crap!

4. Do a finder search for a file named "com.apple.sidebarlists.plist" (you will need to activate the search to include hidden system files, delete this file)
5. Reboot your computer.

jauhari
Dec 17, 2007, 03:15 AM
I have some problem on my Leopard 1.5.1, how to fix it? Please help

Thanks

yellow
Dec 17, 2007, 08:10 AM
Did you follow the directions from earlier in the thread?

livingincrete
Jan 13, 2008, 07:27 AM

Now it doesn't show the HD on the Desktop, even though it's checked in the Finder prefs, and that is confirmed in the com.apple.finder.plist as being visible (ShowHardDrivesOnDesktop=1, aka TRUE). Which would totally jive with your problems trying to use the Finder prefs and it having no effect at all.

/Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo on / shows that the drive is currently set to "V" (invisible), as opposed to "v" (visible). Setting it back to "v" worked!!

Hopefully this will take care of your problem:

You need to install XCode Tools. Either from the installer DVD, or downloaded from http://developer.apple.com. A basic install should do just fine. After installation..

Let's check and see what it's attirbs are:

Open Terminal.app, type:

cd /Developer/Tools
./GetFileInfo /

./SetFile -a v /

It should be!

EDIT: Fixed a spelling mistake in /Developer/

I am extremely grateful to you for the above fix which has also sorted out a problem for me which appeared 'from nowhere' on my 10 month old machine shortly after upgrading to Leopard. I have spent three full days trying to sort this out including two system re-installs. The next step was a 'clean' install but then I found this thread. Thanks again
:)

outcry27
Jan 14, 2008, 10:09 AM
For anyone else who runs into this problem in the future, I made a quick and dirty script to run the command lines to fix this problem with a double-click instead of having to type it all out each time. The problem does reoccur from time to time, so having the script parked away in a corner on my desktop has proven convenient as all hell!

I'm logged on under my windows partition right now, but next time I log in on MacOS I'll attach the file to this post. If anyone needs it in the meantime, email me at outcry27@yahoo.com and I'll send it to you.

yellow
Jan 14, 2008, 10:49 AM
I am assuming your script gives credit where credit is due, correct?

outcry27
Jan 17, 2008, 03:56 PM
Forums won't let me attach a .app file, so I just threw the script up on 1asphost.com. Download here (http://e.1asphost.com/outcry27/drive%20fix.app). Enjoy!

outcry27
Jan 17, 2008, 03:58 PM
I am assuming your script gives credit where credit is due, correct?

No, you just click it and your drive reappears - there's no splash screen hailing and proclaiming myself as the creator of this awesome l337 code or anything. I'm assuming anyone who reads this thread far enough to download the script will have seen that the commands it works off of were posted by others earlier in the thread. ;)

lmcmulle
Feb 2, 2008, 11:02 AM

./SetFile -a v /

Had the same issue, tried this, fixed it (killall Finder restarted everything, and it all shows up now. Thanks for taking the time and effort to help this guy, cause you helped me too!

Leigh.

rexp
Feb 2, 2008, 12:20 PM
It's great that this thread is teaching terminal techniques, and trying to narrow down the root cause of a strange problem. I have one more suggestion, back up now! The OP mentioned that he had unbacked up pics and music on his computer. Any strangeness with a HD should immediately be followed by the question "how recent is my back up?" and updating it if it is uncomfortably old. Then the real troubleshooting can begin. Especially when you are applying root level commands and learning at the same time, things can and do go horribly wrong. The local Best Buy had an ad for an $88 320GB USB2 HD this week. That and an image of your boot drive created with Carbon Copy Cloner 3 on it - would be my first step in solving your issue or any HD issue in the future.

Cheers and good luck.

ceperry
Feb 11, 2008, 11:33 PM
I've been following this thread with great interest.

Today I finally attempted the Terminal commands that have been recommended. While it did restore my Hard Drive to the Finder/Desktop temporarily, it hasn't proven to be long-term solution for me. I have attempted it several times and get the same results.

After doing the Terminal commands, the first log-out and log-in work fine. But, any additional times I log-out or restart my computer the Hard Drive once again disappears. Using FileBuddy to de-select the invisible option on the Hard Drive gets the same results.

Does anyone have any further ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

richard.mac
Feb 28, 2008, 09:04 PM
try using an app called "MacPilot" to visify the hard drive. the option is under Disk & Files in Tools.

heatmiser
Mar 28, 2008, 10:02 PM
Whew. Thanks to all who helped out in this thread; this had been driving me bonkers. No idea what caused it. I'll add my piece to help future fellow travelers:

If this happens to your root drive (which did on mine), following the instructions as written above will get you on track. You might need to type sudo before the ./SetFile command; do so if you get an error when you don't.

If this happens to a partition on your external (which did on mine), instead of typing ./GetFileInfo /, you'll need to type ./GetFileInfo/Volume/Nameofthepartition. If your partition has a multi-word name (mine did), you'll need to type the name of the partition in quotation marks, like ./GetFileInfo/Volume/"Name of the partition". Then when you use the SetFile command, remember to enter the same /Volume/etc string you entered when writing GetFileInfo.

I ran multiple searches and didn't see this thread. I ended up performing an archive and install and, of course, the problem was still there. I ran another search on google, and after a few mis hits, this thread came up. From there, it was trying to adapt the instructions toward finding both of my missing drives. Good luck to anyone else who gets this horrid bug.

threeloaves
Apr 30, 2008, 01:01 PM
I've been following this thread with great interest.

Today I finally attempted the Terminal commands that have been recommended. While it did restore my Hard Drive to the Finder/Desktop temporarily, it hasn't proven to be long-term solution for me. I have attempted it several times and get the same results.

After doing the Terminal commands, the first log-out and log-in work fine. But, any additional times I log-out or restart my computer the Hard Drive once again disappears. Using FileBuddy to de-select the invisible option on the Hard Drive gets the same results.

Does anyone have any further ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
same here

ceperry
May 1, 2008, 12:03 AM
Apple finally got around to posting an article about this problem in Feb. 2008:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307503

I did this about two months ago and it resolved the issue for me.

Lord Zedd
May 29, 2008, 05:16 AM
OS10.5.3 was supposed to fix this issue.
*Fixes an issue in which certain attached hard drives may not show up in the Finder.

Still, my second hard drive does not appear on the desktop. It works normally, just no icon. I have to use the terminal or the show hidden items option to make it appear when I need it.

Breton
Jun 20, 2008, 09:35 AM
WOWk so after 5 hourts of faffing about, I ran the command
cd /Developer/Tools
./GetFileInfo /,
checked for the capital V , ran the
sudo ./SetFile -a v /
and badda bing badda boom, there is my hard drive.
I did learn that the spaces thing is important
So, at least I now have all files that are backed up (yes, I was preparing to wipe/reinstall)

One thing thought, when I checked com.apple.finder.plist, I did not see anything like ShowHardDrivesOnDesktop 1. I wonder if that means my issue will recur.

Thanks for all the teaching everybody :-)

livingincrete
Jun 21, 2008, 01:00 AM
I used to suffer the above problem on only one of my 3 Macs. The 'fix' used to clear the problem for one or two weeks but it would come back and I would have to apply the fix again. However since upgrading the OS from 10.5.2. to 10.5.3 as soon as the upgrade was available (a couple of months ago?) I have never seen the problem again.

GeneralCody
Jan 19, 2009, 07:02 AM
I had the same problem on 10.5.6

I used macPilot to "visify" my harddrive, and it worked.

dvdhsu
Jan 19, 2009, 07:12 AM
I had the same problem on 10.5.6

I used macPilot to "visify" my harddrive, and it worked.
Nice to hear that, glad to hear we got this issue sorted out.:D

tthomasol
Oct 25, 2009, 07:37 AM
OS 10.6.1

Go to Finder
Click preferences
On General Tab the first section see
"Show these items on the desktop"
Click Hard Disks

That's it.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l213/tthomasol/Screenshot2009-10-25at83508AM.png

GeneralCody
Oct 26, 2009, 06:03 AM
OS 10.6.1

Go to Finder
Click preferences
On General Tab the first section see
"Show these items on the desktop"
Click Hard Disks

That's it.

No, that's not "it".

This was a totally different case, if you take the time to read the thread...
:confused:

maddeningfilms
Jan 26, 2010, 08:21 PM
I have the same exact problem as you and it happened after I installed the newest update to the operating system. Version 10.5.8. I restarted my computer after the update and after it rebooted the hard drive was not on my desktop or my finder. I have even called apple support but they have no idea what to do.

Sharina
Dec 18, 2010, 02:19 PM
Far out guys! dont worry about all that terminal console crap!

4. Do a finder search for a file named "com.apple.sidebarlists.plist" (you will need to activate the search to include hidden system files, delete this file)
5. Reboot your computer.

First, I want to thank YELLOW taking the time to go through all of this for the poster. You have helped so many! I was unable to locate the xcode file through you link so terminal continued to reply with the following quote "-bash: /Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo: cannot execute binary file"

This same thing actually happened to me about a year and a half ago and I believe I used xcode and this blog to fix it. This time, for some reason, I was not as successful. However, guy.sutton's post which is quoted above, worked easily and like a charm without having to go into terminal except to "killall Finder" I did not have to reboot by using this terminal code. Sadly, that program "FileBuddy 9.0.2" has been discontinued as a FREE app and it costs $40. If I were a little more tech savvy I may be able to follow Yellow's post and do it FREE. So until next time.. thank you guys kindly and Happy Holidays! :o

runninonmt
Apr 15, 2011, 12:37 PM
I read through this thread, obviously because I was experiencing the same issues, but didn't want to pay for File Buddy or Xtools to "fix" something I paid for already- a working Mac/finder. Kept searching and came across this article and it worked like a charm using the applescript option. I was also unable to view my user directory from the left pane of finder, and that was corrected just by running the script the first time on my hdd. Thanks Pink Mutant! It doesn't sound like the fix actually corrects the bug, or whatever the root cause is, but it was the easiest, most effective, solution I've found yet.

http://www.pinkmutant.com/articles/invisible.html

Launch ScriptEditor and copy and paste this into the script window:

tell application "System Events"
set visible of disk "NameofDisk" to true
end tell

tell application "Finder" to quit
delay 1
tell application "Finder" to launch

Replace NameofDisk with the actual name of your disk, hit the Compile icon to make sure the script didn't acquire any errors, and then hit run. This should set the visible attribute back to visible and quit and relaunch the Finder, thus making the change available.

The same thing can happen to other drives, both internal and external. You can use the same Applescript to fix those as well, just put in the name of the drive.

rodman109110
Aug 17, 2011, 11:54 PM
I am having a similar problem after updating to 10.7.1. My Macintosh HD is where it should be but my external no longer appears on the desktop. It does appear in finder and all programs that utilize the external read it fine. All the correct options are selected so it should show up. It is also used for time machine back ups, however when doing a back up the time machine icon doesn't not appear either. The back up is done via a .dmg and appears as if I was doing a network backup.

I have hooked up other externals but they do not show up either.

Any tips to fix this would be great.

I know I can put an alias on the desktop but I'd rather have it appear the default way.

nOra147
Dec 8, 2011, 10:11 AM
The Solution:

I had the same problem today. My hard drive did not show up in my finder.

The solution (drum roll)...

- drag your hard drive icon into the finder window right under where it says "devices" on the left. You will see a line as an indicator once the mouse pointer is there, then let go of your mouse button.

wala!

Why Apple allows you to remove the icon? who knows?

boateng
Sep 10, 2012, 05:27 PM
i am having this problem

when i go to finder i cant see hard drive macintosh anywhere?

what do i go to get it to appear?

markasready
Mar 7, 2013, 09:36 PM
A simply fix for me was to go to Finder, click on "view", scroll down to "arrange BY" and choose "kind"

Tesselator
Mar 7, 2013, 10:09 PM
What a weird problem.

I've had "invisible" icons before. (can't remember if the file name was present on the raster or not tho).

Didn't Ancient MacOS have something that "Rebuilt Icons"? I wonder if that procedure is still in place on the newer OS X versions... and i wonder if the M.I.A. icons being described are related to this at all.

It's worth a try I guess. Couldn't hurt anyway: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2344

spencers
Apr 15, 2013, 11:25 AM
We were having this problem on our video server with two drives. Randomly two drives (out of 12 drives) went invisible. These are AFP shared to all of our video team members. The drives would show up fine on their computers at the root share directory of the Xserve. However, the drives wouldn't show up on their desktop. Subsequently wouldn't show up in the Media Browser of Premiere CS6, either.

Xserve 3,1 with ESXi. 10.8.3 Server as the only VM on the server. Drives are mounted as LUN from a Dell SAN we have.

Verified that the drives were invisible (grayed out icons on Desktop) by enabling all files
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
Followed by
killall Finder

Started Terminal and entered following command for each of the invisible drives:
sudo chflags nohidden /Volumes/"Name Of Drive"
Then
killall Finder

Drives show up on the desktop now! They show up on the desktop of AFP'd computers as well. And finally, show up in Premiere CS6 media browser again. Woot!

moishyb
Jul 20, 2013, 08:59 PM
Delete the cache in home folder/ Library/ Caches/ com.apple.finder then relaunch Finder in the :apple: / Force quit menu. Works a charm.