PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Games (What I've tried)

Pages : 1 [2]

player1
Feb 1, 2007, 02:02 AM
It's not like it hasn't already been said but Tremulous is free and runs on a MacBook and appears to get 90fps (if the in game counter is to be believed, although I only look at it when I'm standing still). Download it today. Links for it are everywhere. Runs in OS X no problem. 2GHz MacBook 2 GB RAM 60GB HD w/ SuperDrive, Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, AirPort Express to ethernet to cable modem. Soon, 22" external monitor! Go, MacBook!!:apple: :)

dayhiker
Feb 1, 2007, 01:45 PM
hi guys, i'm new here and i need help. am a big lord of the rings fan and recently bought a macbook. will battle for middle earth 1 or 2 play in the macbook? with or without bootcamp? anyone tried this?

thanks for all the input and help.

MacArend
Feb 2, 2007, 09:25 AM
ALL GAMES ON FULL SCREEN

Windows:
Battlefield 2 runs well

Can somebody please tell me why I cant's start Battlefield 2? I tried in bootcamp. But it went black en than returned to my desktop.
I already installed DirectX again but also this didn't work.

I have an MacBook 1.83, 2Gb, 60Gb Hd

bassy6
Feb 7, 2007, 01:13 PM
Just a quick question to help clear something up. I was on another forum and someone said that Halo 2 also plays well on a Mac mini or Macbook. Now correct me if I'm wrong but Halo 2 hasn't come out yet on a Mac yet let alone a PC. Am I right or wrong? thanks to whomever answers this.

bassy6
Feb 7, 2007, 01:24 PM
Oh! and also I read that when Halo 2 comes out its gonna need Vista to run anyway. Has anyone tried using Vista on their Macbooks or Macbook Pro.
I have a Macbook and play Halo fine if you want to know. And just so you know I tried it on Highest and put the graphics to highest and lens flare to EXTREME and I saw no framerate drop. I only have 512mb of ram but I might not upgrade to 2gb cause I wanna look into gettin a Macbook Pro as that is much better for gaming but I didn't know at th time I was buying my 2ghz Macbook White. But just so you know GAMES on the Macbook don't run half bad and keep in mind I only have 512mb and I play HALO online all the time and its fine. I also played Spiderman 2 and that was ok. haven't figured out how to check the FPS yet and probably not bothered cause I play HALO more. I haven't really played many games on my Macbook due 2 NOT having windows xp SP2 and I glad I didn't get it YET cause I heard Halo 2 needs VISTA but HOPEFULLY it will come out for MAC but might take time some time because I don't think its out for PC yet but answer my previous question first. THANKS!!!!!!!!:D

eXan
Feb 7, 2007, 11:46 PM
I have a Macbook and play Halo fine if you want to know. And just so you know I tried it on Highest and put the graphics to highest and lens flare to EXTREME and I saw no framerate drop. I only have 512mb of ram but I might not upgrade to 2gb cause I wanna look into gettin a Macbook Pro as that is much better for gaming but I didn't know at th time I was buying my 2ghz Macbook White.

I find that hard to belive, because Halo's aweful port runs horribly on Macs, even though its a 6-year-old game. Even Intel iMacs (with X1600) run Halo poorly, but setting lens flares to extreme kills any FPS left... So you should probably post your timedemo benchmarks, if you said the truth.

bassy6
Feb 8, 2007, 07:46 AM
I find that hard to belive, because Halo's aweful port runs horribly on Macs, even though its a 6-year-old game. Even Intel iMacs (with X1600) run Halo poorly, but setting lens flares to extreme kills any FPS left... So you should probably post your timedemo benchmarks, if you said the truth.

To be honest I found it hard to believe myself....BUT!! I swear I'm not lying. OH!! I also forgot to mention in the previous post by me that when I said I saw no framerate drop I meant as in it still was running the same speed in MY eyes when the lens flare was on LOW or MEDIUM. And just so you know I never said how high the fps were but it was playable in Campaign and Multiplayer depending on the area and for multiplayer depending on the server or how many players on the same server as you. But seriously I'm not lying. I wouldn't do that! What would be the point. If you told me how me how to check the framerates for HALO I would because I don't know what to type in console. I haven't played HALO on a Macbook Pro with X1600 but I'm pretty sure that would run with flying colors considering what I'm getting with my GMA 950 card. I don't know why you would even think to say that the X1600 runs HALO poorly on an intel mac cause I'm pretty sure it wouldn't. Because if you read what people have already said about the Macbook running HALO they all or most said it ran good so the PRO with X1600 would run it fine. And look at some of the results of benchmarks for the PRO on [url]www.barefeats.com

bassy6
Feb 8, 2007, 07:51 AM
I'm sorry I forgot to quote the last post but just so you know the top half was originally posted by eXan

eXan
Feb 8, 2007, 07:51 AM
To be honest I found it hard to believe myself....BUT!! I swear I'm not lying. OH!! I also forgot to mention in the previous post by me that when I said I saw no framerate drop I meant as in it still was running the same speed in MY eyes when the lens flare was on LOW or MEDIUM. And just so you know I never said how high the fps were but it was playable in Campaign and Multiplayer depending on the area and for multiplayer depending on the server or how many players on the same server as you. But seriously I'm not lying. I wouldn't do that! What would be the point. If you told me how me how to check the framerates for HALO I would because I don't know what to type in console. I haven't played HALO on a Macbook Pro with X1600 but I'm pretty sure that would run with flying colors considering what I'm getting with my GMA 950 card. I don't know why you would even think to say that the X1600 runs HALO poorly on an intel mac cause I'm pretty sure it wouldn't. Because if you read what people have already said about the Macbook running HALO they all or most said it ran good so the PRO with X1600 would run it fine. And look at some of the results of benchmarks for the PRO on [url]www.barefeats.com

I'm not a Halo fan, but I think that in the Startup windows that pops up when you peon Halo on Mac OS X, there's an option called something like "Run timedemo". This should be a benchmark :)

bassy6
Feb 8, 2007, 08:44 AM
Ok I ran the timedemo but for some reason it isn't showing me the results. I ran it twice just to make sure I didn't do something wrong. It says before you run it that results will be in a text file but when I run the timedemo when it finishes it just goes back to my desktop. I have no idea why. Maybe you do?

iwolf49
Feb 8, 2007, 06:02 PM
hi. i dont have a macbook yet, but im getting one this saturday or sunday. I was looking online for games and stuff, and I found 'planeshift' and 'minions of mirth'. they r mmorpgs, and I think they look really good. they r both free, but since I dont have a mac yet, I cant try them on mac. I was wondering if they work, and if they r any good. :D planeshift looks alot like wow.

btw, im a neophyte. I just started looking into macs after I got this ad in my email. lmao. Im switching from windows.

sammycl
Feb 21, 2007, 03:36 PM
guys i dnt know if were still on topic (didnt have time 2 read thru everythin)
but ive heard that battlefield 2142 runs fine with bootcamp:D
but dnt trust me lol
hope this helps!

Zephyrr
Feb 21, 2007, 11:36 PM
Quick question. I want to buy Sims 2 for my macbook, but I'm not sure if I should buy the PC (Windows) version to run on Bootcamp or the Mac version to just run on OSX, obviously.

Which one will produce better performance? Or just which is better to buy?

I have a black macbook, 2 ghz, 1 gig ram.

Bussta
Feb 22, 2007, 07:11 AM
Someone please help my dilemma

I have installed and am playing BF2, it seems to run ok at all high settings, I have added the resolution fix to the shortcut target to get to run not stretched +szx 1680 +szy 1050, but the graphics still seem to be lacking something, edges are very jagged and when you go close up to a face it looks like it is shimmering, the walls look a bit blurred too.

This is with all of the settings on high - I have tried mucking around with AA, but honestly don't notice much of a difference, am I mad? it's just that I have read so many comments about people saying it looks great, but it doesn't seem to be what I am seeing?

Also even though I have changed the shortcut target setting to 1680x1050, I am not sure if it actually at this setting, I can still change the resolutuon on the video options and it keeps the ratio, but decreases in resolution if I say set it at 1280, would this mean it's not running at 1600x1050 when I set it to the max in game of 1400??

Sorry for the essay, but I am going crazy about this!

eXan
Feb 22, 2007, 07:18 AM
Someone please help my dilemma

I have installed and am playing BF2, it seems to run ok at all high settings, I have added the resolution fix to the shortcut target to get to run not stretched +szx 1680 +szy 1050, but the graphics still seem to be lacking something, edges are very jagged and when you go close up to a face it looks like it is shimmering, the walls look a bit blurred too.

This is with all of the settings on high - I have tried mucking around with AA, but honestly don't notice much of a difference, am I mad? it's just that I have read so many comments about people saying it looks great, but it doesn't seem to be what I am seeing?

Also even though I have changed the shortcut target setting to 1680x1050, I am not sure if it actually at this setting, I can still change the resolutuon on the video options and it keeps the ratio, but decreases in resolution if I say set it at 1280, would this mean it's not running at 1600x1050 when I set it to the max in game of 1400??

Sorry for the essay, but I am going crazy about this!

The blurry faces is because the game probably doesnt support THAT high resolution textures.

If you dont like the edges of 3D objects, turn on AA at 4x or more. But you surely do know that enabling AA greatly decreases performance?

Bussta
Feb 22, 2007, 08:04 AM
yea I did notice a drop in performance by upping the AA, I actually found that 2X gives the best result, however it just doesn't seem as polished as I thought it would be, is this because of the limitations of the card? = x1600 256mb

KiDo
Feb 22, 2007, 08:59 AM
yea I did notice a drop in performance by upping the AA, I actually found that 2X gives the best result, however it just doesn't seem as polished as I thought it would be, is this because of the limitations of the card? = x1600 256mb

ah, you're olaying on a mbp, try posting this in a different topic coz this is macbook games, not pro

Bussta
Feb 22, 2007, 09:33 AM
Ah *****, sorry I didn't realise, just found the link in google, I have an iMac and remember posting about it in this forum before but no luck on help on the subject

bassy6
Feb 22, 2007, 05:40 PM
Quick question. I want to buy Sims 2 for my macbook, but I'm not sure if I should buy the PC (Windows) version to run on Bootcamp or the Mac version to just run on OSX, obviously.

Which one will produce better performance? Or just which is better to buy?

I have a black macbook, 2 ghz, 1 gig ram.

Ok, don't you know that most, if not all(maybe) games that you run with bootcamp windows xp will run better then the Mac OS X side! Just to clear that up and I would probably think that based on the ram you have it may just work ok on either but if you ask me I would probably go 4 the windows side. :D You should be fine though.:cool:

bassy6
Feb 22, 2007, 05:49 PM
Hey if you guys haven't seen these 2 videos yet of the macbook when it comes to gaming on the windows side, YOU SHOULD!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YSE7g0BhY-E

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lUS5nMWil6I

bassy6
Feb 28, 2007, 03:08 PM
Ok, call me stupid but I'm just telling you guys what I just did. I just download the demo of PREY and loaded the game up. I went on Multiprey and was playing against some guys. Anyway the graphix are amazing! It looks so realistic. It was set to auto detect which was everything set to highest, with specular and everything else. It wasn't smooth but the graphix were so amazing. I only have 512mb of ram which I know sucks if I wanna game especially with a next gen game like PREY but I would still look into getting a Pro if I wanted to play it good but any1 who has like 2 gb of ram might be able to get an ok performance cause I actually got it up and running on Multiprey with only 512 mb. So thats all for now. Anyone else who can test it out and say their results would be nice to hear if they have 1gb which would be a lot better compared to 512mb so someone else with more ram should try it and give some feedback. Peace out!:cool:

KiDo
Feb 28, 2007, 03:44 PM
Ok, call me stupid but I'm just telling you guys what I just did. I just download the demo of PREY and loaded the game up. I went on Multiprey and was playing against some guys. Anyway the graphix are amazing! It looks so realistic. It was set to auto detect which was everything set to highest, with specular and everything else. It wasn't smooth but the graphix were so amazing. I only have 512mb of ram which I know sucks if I wanna game especially with a next gen game like PREY but I would still look into getting a Pro if I wanted to play it good but any1 who has like 2 gb of ram might be able to get an ok performance cause I actually got it up and running on Multiprey with only 512 mb. So thats all for now. Anyone else who can test it out and say their results would be nice to hear if they have 1gb which would be a lot better compared to 512mb so someone else with more ram should try it and give some feedback. Peace out!:cool:

i already posted here before, i have a black macbook 2ghz core duo (not core 2 duo) with 2GB ram and it works perfect, i have settings on lowest, but still, works great (btw i hav the full version, demo works exactly the same though)

MarsUltor
Feb 28, 2007, 05:55 PM
Anybody know how well Rome:Totalwar runs?

bassy6
Mar 1, 2007, 01:48 AM
i already posted here before, i have a black macbook 2ghz core duo (not core 2 duo) with 2GB ram and it works perfect, i have settings on lowest, but still, works great (btw i hav the full version, demo works exactly the same though)

Yeah but what I meant was if some1 could try it on highest as well being I played on Multiprey on the HIGHEST! Not LOW! How can low still look good. Anyway I can see where your coming from so thanx!:)

KiDo
Mar 1, 2007, 03:40 AM
Yeah but what I meant was if some1 could try it on highest as well being I played on Multiprey on the HIGHEST! Not LOW! How can low still look good. Anyway I can see where your coming from so thanx!:)

to make this easy for you. high, crap, looks good, but like every 2 seconds you get glitches and when too many people run along it completely loses it, and still, put it on low and it looks better then most games,

bassy6
Mar 1, 2007, 08:28 AM
to make this easy for you. high, crap, looks good, but like every 2 seconds you get glitches and when too many people run along it completely loses it, and still, put it on low and it looks better then most games,

Ok then thanx! So do you put everything on low or just the quality? Do you have to turn off specular and all the pretty stuff or not?:confused:

KiDo
Mar 1, 2007, 08:33 AM
Ok then thanx! So do you put everything on low or just the quality? Do you have to turn off specular and all the pretty stuff or not?:confused:

i dunno, i just turned everything off and low,, maybe you can set some things on, dunno, havent been trying everything out, im playing it om my mac pro most of the time so..

bassy6
Mar 1, 2007, 09:38 AM
i dunno, i just turned everything off and low,, maybe you can set some things on, dunno, havent been trying everything out, im playing it om my mac pro most of the time so..

Whoa!:eek: You got a Mac Pro. Your a lucky kid. Anyway, I'm starting to think if RAM actually makes that much of a difference for the gaming. I know it must do, but I only have 512mb of ram and I got it to play Multiprey and it was ok. I guess when it comes to servers the cards don't really matter that much just the internet speed. I mean like I played it on Highest aswell. I know it sounds fishy but its NO lie. Thats why I asked b4 since you have 2gb of RAM compared to 512mb I thought it would be a HUGE!! difference but from what I'm hearing I guess it just comes down to the graphix card. Yeah so, I really hope I'm wrong but I'll see what you have to say. Oh! how do you check the fps on PREY so I can check?

bassy6
Mar 1, 2007, 09:51 AM
Hey does anyone know if Vista on a Macbook will improve gaming performance? I've looked everywhere and no1 is saying anything about Vista on a Macbook gaming performance.

eXan
Mar 1, 2007, 08:42 PM
Hey does anyone know if Vista on a Macbook will improve gaming performance? I've looked everywhere and no1 is saying anything about Vista on a Macbook gaming performance.

Vista is total crap right now for gaming, be it on a Mac or a PC.

VortexOfPain
Mar 2, 2007, 02:27 PM
Does anyone have any advice for Half Life 2 on a MacBook? I was *shocked* to see how good and smooth it played through the demo. High resolution, looked beautiful with default settings (some of them on by default that I wouldn't think the GMA950 could handle well)

Anyways, it runs amazing the majority of the time. The demo includes the Ravenholm level, which all the sudden doesn't play well at all. Just curious if anyone has been able to solve this, Intel's page acknowledges this game has problems with this chip but does not have a fix.

I would love to fix this, it's a great game and could not believe how well the first level played at 1024x768 with lots of eye candy on. Even changing graphics doesn't help fix the slow downs when playing certain levels....

philipcolett
Mar 3, 2007, 03:24 AM
I am trying to run Command and Conquer 3 on my macbook, but it crashes after about 5 minutes of regular game play, or the moment the game actually completely loads the level. I am playing it on a fresh version of XP PRO. I have:

Core Duo 2.0ghz
1GB RAM

It gives me an error each time. What can I do? According to EA I have the specs for it.

bassy6
Mar 5, 2007, 03:32 PM
Vista is total crap right now for gaming, be it on a Mac or a PC.

OK I'm totally not gettin how Vista is "crap" for gaming right now cuz it has the new Direct X 10 which is the next best thing for computer gaming. All the shaders and shadows and pixels should be looking a lot better becuz of the new Direct X 10. Well anyway, I'm just saying what I've read about it. I haven't tried it just seeing if any1 else did. I don't mind XP its just that HALO 2 which is coming out this year soon, requires Vista but I doubt if I'll be able to enjoy it on my Macbook anyway but was just wondering.:confused: :apple:

eXan
Mar 5, 2007, 11:13 PM
OK I'm totally not gettin how Vista is "crap" for gaming right now cuz it has the new Direct X 10 which is the next best thing for computer gaming. All the shaders and shadows and pixels should be looking a lot better becuz of the new Direct X 10. Well anyway, I'm just saying what I've read about it. I haven't tried it just seeing if any1 else did. I don't mind XP its just that HALO 2 which is coming out this year soon, requires Vista but I doubt if I'll be able to enjoy it on my Macbook anyway but was just wondering.:confused: :apple:

I meant that there is no proper support for games in vista, thus they run at very poor fps. Lack of drivers and other similar software.

synth3tik
Mar 6, 2007, 02:39 AM
I like the idea of testing with 512mb or RAM, but I can see how what could be good graphics for someone knowing they only have 512mb of RAM could be bad graphics for someone with 2gb.

bassy6
Mar 6, 2007, 05:03 AM
I like the idea of testing with 512mb or RAM, but I can see how what could be good graphics for someone knowing they only have 512mb of RAM could be bad graphics for someone with 2gb.

Yeah.....that is so so true. I guess if you wanna check somethin out you have to do it for yourself unless you have a video of proof. Although, I find some of the results on www.barefeats.com a bit strange cuz it had the macbook compared to the powerbook and Macbook Pro an so on in games like Doom 3 and got only like 11 fps with 2gb of ram............. and I've seen videos of it running on a macbook with just 512mb. Then again it wasn't that smooth but was playable, so I would have though that with 2gb ram it would have been better. But, I guess like I said, if you wanna check something out, do it yourself and then ask questions later and if you can't fix it just delete it and leave it to a better graphix card.:(

bassy6
Mar 6, 2007, 05:06 AM
http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd3.html

Heres the actual page of the results which are probs right but I would like to see how they would change using windows XP.:confused:

bassy6
Mar 6, 2007, 05:16 AM
Blank

bassy6
Mar 6, 2007, 05:22 AM
Also mistake

urrl78
Mar 7, 2007, 10:19 AM
I don't have a Macbook but I've tried Tomb Raider Legends on my little 10" screen Sony T250 with only a 1.2 Ghz Centrino and 855 GME integrated chip; it handles the game well at 640x480 resolution, so I imagine it should run even better at a higher resolution using Bootcamp on the Macbook. Another old favorite of mine is the anime style 3rd person action game called Oni, which runs fine at 1024x768 on the Sony T250. Lara Croft never looked better on my MBP 2.33 Ghz though; TRL screams on it at high quality settings.:D

KiDo
Mar 7, 2007, 12:02 PM
testing C&C3 demo right now on bootcamp

OK, Edit, C&C Demo runs perfect, tried a couple of matches, no problem at all, i just left the settings be on default, wich is pretty much everything on low and off, but i think that it can go a bit higher seeing it runs at full speed with no glitches at all, i just hope the full version does too, this is an awesome game!

EDIT 2: tutorial runs fine, but when i go skirmish, crash after 5 minutes just like the previous tester said, XP pro on macbook CD2Ghz, 2GB Ram

bassy6
Mar 7, 2007, 02:26 PM
I don't have a Macbook but I've tried Tomb Raider Legends on my little 10" screen Sony T250 with only a 1.2 Ghz Centrino and 855 GME integrated chip; it handles the game well at 640x480 resolution, so I imagine it should run even better at a higher resolution using Bootcamp on the Macbook. Another old favorite of mine is the anime style 3rd person action game called Oni, which runs fine at 1024x768 on the Sony T250. Lara Croft never looked better on my MBP 2.33 Ghz though; TRL screams on it at high quality settings.:D

yeah TRL can play on a MacBook, and pretty good aswell. Look at this video..........http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z_BYB7jm63A ...........I know I have loads of links and stuff for the macbook gaming but I'm here to help and I love my macbook and hate it when people say its crap.:mad:

bassy6
Mar 10, 2007, 10:32 AM
Hey I need help. I'm trying to install steam using Crossover but whenever I try it says choose a directory but everyone I choose like applications folder, or documents, or desktop etc. it says cannot install in that directory so WTF can I do? Need help............seriously. I'm on the verge of getting my gun out and shooting the stupid window with steam on it.:mad:

bassy6
Mar 10, 2007, 01:57 PM
Never mind I got it installed but now......... trying to figure out how to download windows games.

eXan
Mar 10, 2007, 08:49 PM
......... trying to figure out how to download windows games.

Is it so hard to figure out? :D

bassy6
Mar 11, 2007, 01:49 PM
Is it so hard to figure out? :D

What I meant was that I don't know any Windows demos sites, and I tried Steam games in google but Firefox doesn't recognise that I already have steam so I can't figure it out. I'm not really bothered. I was just tryin out Crossover cause I've never used it(thats all):D If you know anything I wouldn't mind if you gave any advice:)

bassy6
Mar 14, 2007, 04:52 PM
Just to say, I tried Half life 2 demo using Crossover and it ran great! I still only have 512mb of ram:( but it ran smooth with settings at medium-high. And shadows on low. Anyway just saying if any1 wanted to know how Crossover was.

bassy6
Mar 17, 2007, 02:29 PM
Hey I just wanted 2 know. How long do you guys recommend using Windows XP or Vista on a Macbook? (so it doesn't fry).:eek:

eXan
Mar 17, 2007, 10:51 PM
Hey I just wanted 2 know. How long do you guys recommend using Windows XP or Vista on a Macbook? (so it doesn't fry).:eek:

What do you mean?

bassy6
Mar 18, 2007, 08:10 AM
What do you mean?

I mean like, when playing a game or whateva in Windows XP or Vista, how long do you recommend running the game before the fan gets too hot and fries the computer. aka has a Meltdown.

eXan
Mar 18, 2007, 08:52 AM
I mean like, when playing a game or whateva in Windows XP or Vista, how long do you recommend running the game before the fan gets too hot and fries the computer. aka has a Meltdown.

Why should it fry the computer? Is Windows is any different from OSX in this respect?

bassy6
Mar 18, 2007, 10:16 AM
Why should it fry the computer? Is Windows is any different from OSX in this respect?

Do you have XP on your Macbook? I'm just askin cuz I've read a lot of stuff and some sites say that running XP or Vista whateva can make the fans very very hot and fry the laptop. Thats why bootcamp beta explains that if anything happens Apple won't fix it. I don't have it yet cuz I might put Vista on my Macbook as I've seen videos of it running well on the Macbook with Aero glass and I just wanted 2 know how long any1 recommends using XP or Vista on the Macbook so it doesn't fry or break. Another reason why I might get it is becuz Halo 2 Vista like I said b4 is comin out May 8th and I wanna try and see if it works since Vista runs well. If it doesn't then I'll just delete it cuz I can probably get Vista free from a mate so I have nothing to loose.

KiDo
Mar 18, 2007, 02:25 PM
Do you have XP on your Macbook? I'm just askin cuz I've read a lot of stuff and some sites say that running XP or Vista whateva can make the fans very very hot and fry the laptop. Thats why bootcamp beta explains that if anything happens Apple won't fix it. I don't have it yet cuz I might put Vista on my Macbook as I've seen videos of it running well on the Macbook with Aero glass and I just wanted 2 know how long any1 recommends using XP or Vista on the Macbook so it doesn't fry or break. Another reason why I might get it is becuz Halo 2 Vista like I said b4 is comin out May 8th and I wanna try and see if it works since Vista runs well. If it doesn't then I'll just delete it cuz I can probably get Vista free from a mate so I have nothing to loose.

you are right here, i have been using windows today, from 10AM till 21PM, the fans were screaming even louder than the mbp's whine were, and they woudnt even stop screaming when i rebooted into osx, so, its going back to apple now coz the noise wont go away, and hope i can get a new one..

it's odd though, coz i use windows on a daily basis on my macbook for school, and sometimes i put it to sleep in windows let it on for the night and when i open it everythings fine, today though they completely flipped, running OSX now for 30mins and they're still blowing as i type this message..

eXan
Mar 19, 2007, 07:32 AM

No, but I got your point.

VortexOfPain
Mar 21, 2007, 01:40 PM
I've used XP on my MacBook for the last year and have had zero problems. The fan turns on for games or when it's heavy in use, which is normal - it's increasing cooling to the processor. It's not going to melt down, geez. This is a normal feature, if the fan turns on it's not going to die. They turn on for a reason. :)

If a PC running XP can use these chips, where is the logic that a macbook will have a problem? Just because there is an Apple logo on the plastics? :confused:

KiDo
Mar 22, 2007, 01:45 AM
I've used XP on my MacBook for the last year and have had zero problems. The fan turns on for games or when it's heavy in use, which is normal - it's increasing cooling to the processor. It's not going to melt down, geez. This is a normal feature, if the fan turns on it's not going to die. They turn on for a reason. :)

If a PC running XP can use these chips, where is the logic that a macbook will have a problem? Just because there is an Apple logo on the plastics? :confused:

believe me, my fans dont "just" turn on anymore, it sounds as if theyre running against something, it a very raw buzz

Sparky8
Apr 2, 2007, 04:04 PM
FM2006 Works like a dream (but isn't in any way graphic intensive, dual core helps a lot though)
FM2007 Same as above[/b]

Fantastic news

So i fret over whether to get a MacBook (huge gamer, going to do a uni course on game Production management) because of the lack of gaming and yet find Guild Wars works, FM07 works, SWG may work (anyone clarify on MacBook not pro?) Medieval Total War anyone? i wont get my hopes up though

bassy6
Apr 3, 2007, 12:33 PM
Hey does any1 know of any forums for connecting the macbook to a TV? I have a 32" LCD and it has 2 HDMI ports but HDMI to mini DVI doesn't support sound does it. It also has a connect PC port but not sure what cables I need 2 connect my macbook to the TV. Any help would be nice.:D

Kingsly
Apr 3, 2007, 01:17 PM
Fantastic news

So i fret over whether to get a MacBook (huge gamer, going to do a uni course on game Production management) because of the lack of gaming and yet find Guild Wars works, FM07 works, SWG may work (anyone clarify on MacBook not pro?) Medieval Total War anyone? i wont get my hopes up though

I'd also like to know if anyone gan get Medieval II total war to work on a MB!

If runs great on my MBP... but I am getting a MB/iMac 24" in place of it and need my M2TW!!!! :eek: ;) :D

bassy6
Apr 3, 2007, 04:01 PM
I'd also like to know if anyone gan get Medieval II total war to work on a MB!

If runs great on my MBP... but I am getting a MB/iMac 24" in place of it and need my M2TW!!!! :eek: ;) :D

Why are you replacing you MBP with a MB? Just to ask.

Kingsly
Apr 3, 2007, 05:06 PM
Why are you replacing you MBP with a MB? Just to ask.

I am a subcontractor for Apple, and they are giving me a MB for free. Since I have no need for two laptops and would prefer the editing/graphics powerhouse that is iMac 24" (http://www.apple.com/imac/), I have decided to sell my MBP. :)

cayley
Apr 3, 2007, 05:28 PM
Anyone try Second Life? How does it run on a macbook?

bassy6
Apr 5, 2007, 08:10 AM
Ok guys I'm so so sorry 4 asking this because it has nuffin 2 do with gaming on a Macbook. Well in a way it does but hear me out. Ok. Here's the deal. I have 16mb SKY broadband which is pretty fast. Apparently I'm only getting up to 9mb. Just called sky to ask what I should do but they just talk bla. Anyway they actually kind of helped in a way because they said that I'm getting 15mb but still when I check it goes maximum of 9mb and usually around 7mb. Same when plugged in with ethernet cable. Any1 know of any forums??? Need help because its really annoying that my parents who have no clue about speed are paying for High speed 16mb and I'm only getting up to about 9mb. I'm gonna go crazy if I don't get it fixed because I play multiplayer games a lot (mostly Halo) and sometimes laggy and now I know why so if I can get my Full 16mb or at least over 12mb that would be great. PLZ HELP!!!! if you don't well thats ok becuz I'm a little off topic.:eek: gonna go mad becuz I can't stop tinking bout it.:confused:

eXan
Apr 5, 2007, 08:26 AM
Ok guys I'm so so sorry 4 asking this because it has nuffin 2 do with gaming on a Macbook. Well in a way it does but hear me out. Ok. Here's the deal. I have 16mb SKY broadband which is pretty fast. Apparently I'm only getting up to 9mb. Just called sky to ask what I should do but they just talk bla. Anyway they actually kind of helped in a way because they said that I'm getting 15mb but still when I check it goes maximum of 9mb and usually around 7mb. Same when plugged in with ethernet cable. Any1 know of any forums??? Need help because its really annoying that my parents who have no clue about speed are paying for High speed 16mb and I'm only getting up to about 9mb. I'm gonna go crazy if I don't get it fixed because I play multiplayer games a lot (mostly Halo) and sometimes laggy and now I know why so if I can get my Full 16mb or at least over 12mb that would be great. PLZ HELP!!!! if you don't well thats ok becuz I'm a little off topic.:eek: gonna go mad becuz I can't stop tinking bout it.:confused:

Relax man, 9 MB of 16 is pretty good. 16 is the maximum speed you can theoretically get, but in real world a lot of factors affect the actual speed of your connection, like lenth of cables, amount of noise, load of traffic on your ISP, connection of the server itself and its load, etc.

For example here, our ISP advertises 8 Mbit/sec DLS which is 1 MB/sec in theory, but the actual speed when downloading from foreign servers averages at about 100 KB/sec, which is only 1/10 of the maximum. Downloading from local servers however can be as fast as 500 KB/sec, but usually averages at 300. Just an example :)

bassy6
Apr 5, 2007, 11:35 AM
Relax man, 9 MB of 16 is pretty good. 16 is the maximum speed you can theoretically get, but in real world a lot of factors affect the actual speed of your connection, like lenth of cables, amount of noise, load of traffic on your ISP, connection of the server itself and its load, etc.

For example here, our ISP advertises 8 Mbit/sec DLS which is 1 MB/sec in theory, but the actual speed when downloading from foreign servers averages at about 100 KB/sec, which is only 1/10 of the maximum. Downloading from local servers however can be as fast as 500 KB/sec, but usually averages at 300. Just an example :)
yeah but they said that I SHOULD be getting 15mb becuz I asked is my cable fast enough and the guy checked my stuff and he said I should be geting 15mb average and MAX is 16mb. The reason why he said it could be only gettin 9mb is because in Network Utility if u try it I tried Netstat when the guy told me and he said go to "display state of all sockets" and he said I should have max 10 or less. I had about 50. So he said run Virex/Mcafee which I did but they r all still there. Try in Netstat and "display state of all socket" and see how many u get? Then if u get less then 10 then I know I have a probs. Well I already know that but just seeing.:D and me:confused: :eek:

KiDo
Apr 5, 2007, 11:44 AM
yeah but they said that I SHOULD be getting 15mb becuz I asked is my cable fast enough and the guy checked my stuff and he said I should be geting 15mb average and MAX is 16mb. The reason why he said it could be only gettin 9mb is because in Network Utility if u try it I tried Netstat when the guy told me and he said go to "display state of all sockets" and he said I should have max 10 or less. I had about 50. So he said run Virex/Mcafee which I did but they r all still there. Try in Netstat and "display state of all socket" and see how many u get? Then if u get less then 10 then I know I have a probs. Well I already know that but just seeing.:D and me:confused: :eek:

its a common mistake people make when buying broadband, the speed delivered from the provider is calculated in bits per second, not in bytes, so if your speed should be 16mb/s make sure wether its Mbits or Mbytes, if its bits, divide it by 8, and you have the number of bytes per sec, so if its 16mbits, divide 16000 Mbits through 8, you get 2Mbytes/s wich i more then enough to play halo coz i play halo on a 100Kbyte network, without ANY lag, if the speed is 16Mbytes per sec, you have to pay attention that not all servers go up that speed, so the other side has to have 16mbs too or you'll wont make an use of that extra speed at all,
hope i could help, seeya around on the forums

bassy6
Apr 5, 2007, 03:59 PM
its a common mistake people make when buying broadband, the speed delivered from the provider is calculated in bits per second, not in bytes, so if your speed should be 16mb/s make sure wether its Mbits or Mbytes, if its bits, divide it by 8, and you have the number of bytes per sec, so if its 16mbits, divide 16000 Mbits through 8, you get 2Mbytes/s wich i more then enough to play halo coz i play halo on a 100Kbyte network, without ANY lag, if the speed is 16Mbytes per sec, you have to pay attention that not all servers go up that speed, so the other side has to have 16mbs too or you'll wont make an use of that extra speed at all,
hope i could help, seeya around on the forums

Ok. Thx for trying to help but I already stated that my problem is the amount of (I 4get but) it should be less then 10 and I have wwwaaaaaayyyyy more. You can find out by going into Network Utility and then go to Netstat and click "display state of all sockets" and then run Netstat and see how many you have. And my broadband speed is 16mb Sky Broadband which is basically much faster than your average day 8mb broadband and faster then Virgin's new 10mb service, and I'm not sure but I think its something like 768 kbps or sometin but I dunno cuz I've never really had wireless b4 until now but I just know that 16mb is super super fast and I'm not getting those results. I get 9.30mb Max even though Sky says I'm getting 15mb and 9mb still does the job and more but my parents r paying extra for Broadband MAX and we should get the results or closer than 9mb I mean at least get 12mb but anyway I just hope I get it sorted becuz my parents said that they might move it down to 8mb broadband becuz if they're not getting blazing fast like they should(technically me, as my parents don't really use computers) its no point paying extra.

Just try the Netstat test and see if you have less then 10 and if you do then that shows I have to much but now I have 2 figure out how to remove the ones that I don't need. Probs ask apple if they know.:eek::) :confused:

KiDo
Apr 5, 2007, 04:05 PM
if you understand the stuff that comes out of netstat,

Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address (state)
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49889 ppp63-81.lns1.cb.52575 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49867 acd639fa.ipt.aol.56687 LAST_ACK
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49844 d150-132-112.hom.49160 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49843 106.84-234-226.c.orion ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49842 241.197-200-80.a.22529 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49839 n-7-214.sbnett.n.52525 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49838 81-236-228-183-n.6882 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49837 c0fcf00c3.dhcp.b.6881 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.45100 *.* LISTEN
tcp46 0 0 *.24999 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 localhost.6880 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49745 69-50-129-231.ma.http ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 *.* *.* CLOSED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca localhost.1009 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.1009 localhost.netinfo-loca ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 *.* *.* CLOSED
tcp4 0 0 *.svrloc *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49159 by1msg4146017.ph.msnp ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 *.* *.* CLOSED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca localhost.1010 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.1010 localhost.netinfo-loca ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 *.daap *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 *.http *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 *.afpovertcp *.* LISTEN
tcp46 0 0 *.afpovertcp *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 192.168.3.1.domain *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 192.168.2.1.domain *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca localhost.1017 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.1017 localhost.netinfo-loca ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca localhost.1018 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.1018 localhost.netinfo-loca ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 *.23052 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca localhost.1021 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.1021 localhost.netinfo-loca ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca *.* LISTEN
udp4 0 0 192.168.2.1.http-alt *.*
udp46 0 0 *.ssdp *.*
udp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.http- *.*
udp46 0 0 *.ssdp *.*
udp4 0 0 192.168.3.1.http-alt *.*
udp46 0 0 *.ssdp *.*
udp4 0 0 10.211.55.2.http-alt *.*
udp46 0 0 *.ssdp *.*
udp4 0 0 192.168.2.1.49309 *.*
udp46 0 0 *.16680 *.*
udp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49309 *.*
udp46 0 0 *.16680 *.*
udp4 0 0 192.168.3.1.49309 *.*
udp46 0 0 *.16680 *.*
udp4 0 0 10.211.55.2.49309 *.*
udp46 0 0 *.16680 *.*
udp46 0 0 *.35930 *.*
udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
udp4 0 0 *.svrloc *.*
udp4 0 0 192.168.2.1.49190 *.*
udp4 0 0 *.mdns *.*
udp4 0 0 *.mdns *.*
udp6 0 0 *.5353 *.*
udp4 0 0 *.mdns *.*
udp4 0 0 *.mdns *.*
udp4 0 0 *.5351 *.*
udp4 0 0 localhost.49158 localhost.1022
udp4 0 0 localhost.49157 localhost.1022
udp4 0 0 localhost.1022 *.*
udp4 0 0 localhost.49155 localhost.1023
udp4 0 0 localhost.1023 *.*
udp6 0 0 *.49154 *.*
udp4 0 0 *.49153 *.*
udp4 0 0 192.168.3.1.domain *.*
udp4 0 0 192.168.2.1.domain *.*
udp4 0 0 *.bootps *.*
udp4 0 0 *.9887 *.*
udp6 0 0 *.5353 *.*
udp4 0 0 *.mdns *.*
udp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca *.*
udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
icm4 0 0 *.* *.*
icm6 0 0 *.* *.*
icm6 0 0 *.* *.*
icm6 0 0 *.* *.*
Active LOCAL (UNIX) domain sockets
Address Type Recv-Q Send-Q Inode Conn Refs Nextref Addr
49b7440 stream 0 0 4ce38c4 0 0 0 /var/run/slp_ipc
49b7990 stream 0 0 0 49b7a18 0 0
49b7a18 stream 0 0 0 49b7990 0 0
49b7aa0 stream 0 0 0 49b7b28 0 0 /var/run/mDNSResponder
49b7b28 stream 0 0 0 49b7aa0 0 0
49b7f68 stream 0 0 0 3ab5000 0 0 /var/run/mDNSResponder
3ab5000 stream 0 0 0 49b7f68 0 0
3ab5088 stream 0 0 0 3ab5110 0 0 /var/run/mDNSResponder
3ab5110 stream 0 0 0 3ab5088 0 0
3ab54c8 stream 0 0 0 3ab5550 0 0 /var/run/mDNSResponder
3ab5550 stream 0 0 0 3ab54c8 0 0
3ab5880 stream 0 0 3f04630 0 0 0 /var/run/pppconfd
3ab5770 stream 0 0 3edb39c 0 0 0 /var/run/pcscd/.pcscomm
3ab5dd0 stream 0 0 3e55948 0 0 0 /var/run/mDNSResponder
3ab5bb0 stream 0 0 0 3ab5d48 0 0 /var/run/asl_input
3ab5d48 stream 0 0 0 3ab5bb0 0 0
3ab5e58 stream 0 0 3e40d68 0 0 0 /var/run/asl_input
3ab5ee0 stream 0 0 3e11ad4 0 0 0 /var/run/portmap.socket
3ab5f68 stream 0 0 3aab294 0 0 0 /var/launchd/0/sock
49b7660 dgram 0 0 0 49b76e8 49b76e8 0
49b76e8 dgram 0 0 0 49b7660 49b7660 0
49b7198 dgram 0 0 0 49b7220 49b7220 0
49b7220 dgram 0 0 0 49b7198 49b7198 0
49b73b8 dgram 0 0 0 49b74c8 49b74c8 0
49b74c8 dgram 0 0 0 49b73b8 49b73b8 0
49b7550 dgram 0 0 0 49b75d8 49b75d8 0
49b75d8 dgram 0 0 0 49b7550 49b7550 0
49b7880 dgram 0 0 0 49b7770 49b7770 0
49b7770 dgram 0 0 0 49b7880 49b7880 0
49b77f8 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab55d8
3ab55d8 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 49b7908
49b7908 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 49b7c38
49b7c38 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 49b7bb0
49b7bb0 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 49b7cc0
49b7cc0 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 49b7d48
49b7d48 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 49b7dd0
49b7dd0 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab52a8
49b7e58 dgram 0 0 0 49b7ee0 49b7ee0 0
49b7ee0 dgram 0 0 0 49b7e58 49b7e58 0
3ab5220 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5198 3ab5198 0
3ab5198 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5220 3ab5220 0
3ab52a8 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab5440
3ab5330 dgram 0 0 0 3ab53b8 3ab53b8 0
3ab53b8 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5330 3ab5330 0
3ab5440 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab57f8
3ab5660 dgram 0 0 0 3ab56e8 3ab56e8 0
3ab56e8 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5660 3ab5660 0
3ab57f8 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab5908
3ab5908 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab5b28
3ab5b28 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab5cc0
3ab5cc0 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab5990
3ab5990 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 0
3ab5a18 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5aa0 3ab5aa0 0
3ab5aa0 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5a18 3ab5a18 0
3ab5c38 dgram 0 0 3e40bdc 0 49b77f8 0 /var/run/syslog

thats a big blank to me....

just try a website like www.speedtest.net or google speedtest, those mostly give out good results, i never use netstat, and the results are a bunch of text in wich i cant seem to see any logical speed results

bassy6
Apr 5, 2007, 06:14 PM
if you understand the stuff that comes out of netstat,

Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address (state)
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49889 ppp63-81.lns1.cb.52575 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49867 acd639fa.ipt.aol.56687 LAST_ACK
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49844 d150-132-112.hom.49160 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49843 106.84-234-226.c.orion ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49842 241.197-200-80.a.22529 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49839 n-7-214.sbnett.n.52525 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49838 81-236-228-183-n.6882 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49837 c0fcf00c3.dhcp.b.6881 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.45100 *.* LISTEN
tcp46 0 0 *.24999 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 localhost.6880 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49745 69-50-129-231.ma.http ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 *.* *.* CLOSED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca localhost.1009 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.1009 localhost.netinfo-loca ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 *.* *.* CLOSED
tcp4 0 0 *.svrloc *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49159 by1msg4146017.ph.msnp ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 *.* *.* CLOSED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca localhost.1010 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.1010 localhost.netinfo-loca ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 *.daap *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 *.http *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 *.afpovertcp *.* LISTEN
tcp46 0 0 *.afpovertcp *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 192.168.3.1.domain *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 192.168.2.1.domain *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca localhost.1017 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.1017 localhost.netinfo-loca ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca localhost.1018 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.1018 localhost.netinfo-loca ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 *.23052 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca localhost.1021 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.1021 localhost.netinfo-loca ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca *.* LISTEN
udp4 0 0 192.168.2.1.http-alt *.*
udp46 0 0 *.ssdp *.*
udp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.http- *.*
udp46 0 0 *.ssdp *.*
udp4 0 0 192.168.3.1.http-alt *.*
udp46 0 0 *.ssdp *.*
udp4 0 0 10.211.55.2.http-alt *.*
udp46 0 0 *.ssdp *.*
udp4 0 0 192.168.2.1.49309 *.*
udp46 0 0 *.16680 *.*
udp4 0 0 marcos-macbook.l.49309 *.*
udp46 0 0 *.16680 *.*
udp4 0 0 192.168.3.1.49309 *.*
udp46 0 0 *.16680 *.*
udp4 0 0 10.211.55.2.49309 *.*
udp46 0 0 *.16680 *.*
udp46 0 0 *.35930 *.*
udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
udp4 0 0 *.svrloc *.*
udp4 0 0 192.168.2.1.49190 *.*
udp4 0 0 *.mdns *.*
udp4 0 0 *.mdns *.*
udp6 0 0 *.5353 *.*
udp4 0 0 *.mdns *.*
udp4 0 0 *.mdns *.*
udp4 0 0 *.5351 *.*
udp4 0 0 localhost.49158 localhost.1022
udp4 0 0 localhost.49157 localhost.1022
udp4 0 0 localhost.1022 *.*
udp4 0 0 localhost.49155 localhost.1023
udp4 0 0 localhost.1023 *.*
udp6 0 0 *.49154 *.*
udp4 0 0 *.49153 *.*
udp4 0 0 192.168.3.1.domain *.*
udp4 0 0 192.168.2.1.domain *.*
udp4 0 0 *.bootps *.*
udp4 0 0 *.9887 *.*
udp6 0 0 *.5353 *.*
udp4 0 0 *.mdns *.*
udp4 0 0 localhost.netinfo-loca *.*
udp4 0 0 *.* *.*
icm4 0 0 *.* *.*
icm6 0 0 *.* *.*
icm6 0 0 *.* *.*
icm6 0 0 *.* *.*
Active LOCAL (UNIX) domain sockets
Address Type Recv-Q Send-Q Inode Conn Refs Nextref Addr
49b7440 stream 0 0 4ce38c4 0 0 0 /var/run/slp_ipc
49b7990 stream 0 0 0 49b7a18 0 0
49b7a18 stream 0 0 0 49b7990 0 0
49b7aa0 stream 0 0 0 49b7b28 0 0 /var/run/mDNSResponder
49b7b28 stream 0 0 0 49b7aa0 0 0
49b7f68 stream 0 0 0 3ab5000 0 0 /var/run/mDNSResponder
3ab5000 stream 0 0 0 49b7f68 0 0
3ab5088 stream 0 0 0 3ab5110 0 0 /var/run/mDNSResponder
3ab5110 stream 0 0 0 3ab5088 0 0
3ab54c8 stream 0 0 0 3ab5550 0 0 /var/run/mDNSResponder
3ab5550 stream 0 0 0 3ab54c8 0 0
3ab5880 stream 0 0 3f04630 0 0 0 /var/run/pppconfd
3ab5770 stream 0 0 3edb39c 0 0 0 /var/run/pcscd/.pcscomm
3ab5dd0 stream 0 0 3e55948 0 0 0 /var/run/mDNSResponder
3ab5bb0 stream 0 0 0 3ab5d48 0 0 /var/run/asl_input
3ab5d48 stream 0 0 0 3ab5bb0 0 0
3ab5e58 stream 0 0 3e40d68 0 0 0 /var/run/asl_input
3ab5ee0 stream 0 0 3e11ad4 0 0 0 /var/run/portmap.socket
3ab5f68 stream 0 0 3aab294 0 0 0 /var/launchd/0/sock
49b7660 dgram 0 0 0 49b76e8 49b76e8 0
49b76e8 dgram 0 0 0 49b7660 49b7660 0
49b7198 dgram 0 0 0 49b7220 49b7220 0
49b7220 dgram 0 0 0 49b7198 49b7198 0
49b73b8 dgram 0 0 0 49b74c8 49b74c8 0
49b74c8 dgram 0 0 0 49b73b8 49b73b8 0
49b7550 dgram 0 0 0 49b75d8 49b75d8 0
49b75d8 dgram 0 0 0 49b7550 49b7550 0
49b7880 dgram 0 0 0 49b7770 49b7770 0
49b7770 dgram 0 0 0 49b7880 49b7880 0
49b77f8 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab55d8
3ab55d8 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 49b7908
49b7908 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 49b7c38
49b7c38 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 49b7bb0
49b7bb0 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 49b7cc0
49b7cc0 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 49b7d48
49b7d48 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 49b7dd0
49b7dd0 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab52a8
49b7e58 dgram 0 0 0 49b7ee0 49b7ee0 0
49b7ee0 dgram 0 0 0 49b7e58 49b7e58 0
3ab5220 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5198 3ab5198 0
3ab5198 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5220 3ab5220 0
3ab52a8 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab5440
3ab5330 dgram 0 0 0 3ab53b8 3ab53b8 0
3ab53b8 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5330 3ab5330 0
3ab5440 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab57f8
3ab5660 dgram 0 0 0 3ab56e8 3ab56e8 0
3ab56e8 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5660 3ab5660 0
3ab57f8 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab5908
3ab5908 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab5b28
3ab5b28 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab5cc0
3ab5cc0 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 3ab5990
3ab5990 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5c38 0 0
3ab5a18 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5aa0 3ab5aa0 0
3ab5aa0 dgram 0 0 0 3ab5a18 3ab5a18 0
3ab5c38 dgram 0 0 3e40bdc 0 49b77f8 0 /var/run/syslog

thats a big blank to me....

just try a website like www.speedtest.net or google speedtest, those mostly give out good results, i never use netstat, and the results are a bunch of text in wich i cant seem to see any logical speed results

yeah I don't understand them either lol but it looks like you have as much as me now the question is how do I lose all of though? I use http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/speed-test.asp?partner=bc~jmt to check my speed and like I said I tried it more then 3 times to check and the Max I get is exactly 9.64mb and Sky says I should be getting 15mb as from what they see and Max is 16mb. In a way I'm kinda happy becuz I thought what I had b4 was fast but knowing I only get just a little over half is amazing but I'm mad at sam time cuz 1. can't get that speed and 2. sometimes it takes long to load pages with videos and pics. Just gonna ask some1 from Apple maybe I dunno thx though.:) :confused: :eek:

KiDo
Apr 6, 2007, 01:18 AM
"yeah I don't understand them either lol but it looks like you have as much as me"

now this is odd, becoz then this cant be a speed check, as i said before im not a 250kbit network, in bytes this is about 30 to 40 kbyte per second, so if netstat gives me 9MB netstat is probly bugged as hell :P so, just try speedtest.net they are the most accurate.

and when it takes long to load videos. as i said before, that depends on the other one's speed, coz 9MB/sec is still fast enough, if its in bits, you'd still have 1,125mbytes per sec, wich is more then enough to load movies, for most people it's fast enough to download movies and games, i wish i had that speed (i had before i moved, but this village just sux ass :P) coz you'll be getting 1GB in like 30 minutes, so the problem is not with you, but with the otherside not making high speeds, servers can be slow too, remember that ;)

eXan
Apr 6, 2007, 02:47 AM

yeah but they said that I SHOULD be getting 15mb becuz I asked is my cable fast enough and the guy checked my stuff and he said I should be geting 15mb average and MAX is 16mb. The reason why he said it could be only gettin 9mb is because in Network Utility if u try it I tried Netstat when the guy told me and he said go to "display state of all sockets" and he said I should have max 10 or less. I had about 50. So he said run Virex/Mcafee which I did but they r all still there. Try in Netstat and "display state of all socket" and see how many u get? Then if u get less then 10 then I know I have a probs. Well I already know that but just seeing. and me

Ok. Thx for trying to help but I already stated that my problem is the amount of (I 4get but) it should be less then 10 and I have wwwaaaaaayyyyy more. You can find out by going into Network Utility and then go to Netstat and click "display state of all sockets" and then run Netstat and see how many you have. And my broadband speed is 16mb Sky Broadband which is basically much faster than your average day 8mb broadband and faster then Virgin's new 10mb service, and I'm not sure but I think its something like 768 kbps or sometin but I dunno cuz I've never really had wireless b4 until now but I just know that 16mb is super super fast and I'm not getting those results. I get 9.30mb Max even though Sky says I'm getting 15mb and 9mb still does the job and more but my parents r paying extra for Broadband MAX and we should get the results or closer than 9mb I mean at least get 12mb but anyway I just hope I get it sorted becuz my parents said that they might move it down to 8mb broadband becuz if they're not getting blazing fast like they should(technically me, as my parents don't really use computers) its no point paying extra.

Just try the Netstat test and see if you have less then 10 and if you do then that shows I have to much but now I have 2 figure out how to remove the ones that I don't need. Probs ask apple if they know.:eek::) :confused:

yeah I don't understand them either lol but it looks like you have as much as me now the question is how do I lose all of though? I use http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/speed-test.asp?partner=bc~jmt to check my speed and like I said I tried it more then 3 times to check and the Max I get is exactly 9.64mb and Sky says I should be getting 15mb as from what they see and Max is 16mb. In a way I'm kinda happy becuz I thought what I had b4 was fast but knowing I only get just a little over half is amazing but I'm mad at sam time cuz 1. can't get that speed and 2. sometimes it takes long to load pages with videos and pics. Just gonna ask some1 from Apple maybe I dunno thx though.:) :confused: :eek:

You know, bassy6, your posts are pretty hard to understand. I'm not sure if English is your native language, but even if it's not, I think you could use some punctuation marks and try to split your sentences?

bassy6
Apr 6, 2007, 04:18 AM
You know, bassy6, your posts are pretty hard to understand. I'm not sure if English is your native language, but even if it's not, I think you could use some punctuation marks and try to split your sentences?

lol. English is my native language lol. But I sometimes rush so sorry but I'll keep that in mind, OK. Oh, and netstat didn't give me 9.64mb the http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/speed-test.asp?partner=bc~jmt gave me that. I'm just gonna ask one of my older friends that work with all this technical stuff, but they live sooooo far away lol. Well their not my friends like that, but they were my teachers when I was in Hospital with Blood cancer, but that's a whole nother story. Thx anyway!:)

eXan
Apr 6, 2007, 06:25 AM
lol. English is my native language lol. But I sometimes rush so sorry but I'll keep that in mind, OK. Oh, and netstat didn't give me 9.64mb the http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/speed-test.asp?partner=bc~jmt gave me that. I'm just gonna ask one of my older friends that work with all this technical stuff, but they live sooooo far away lol. Well their not my friends like that, but they were my teachers when I was in Hospital with Blood cancer, but that's a whole nother story. Thx anyway!:)

Thats better!:D

BTW, rushing is not the best thing if you expect to be helped :o

Anhaedra
Apr 6, 2007, 02:20 PM
Half Life 1.1.1.0 runs well (I actually got 95 fps!)

Huh? That's weird, I can get way more FPS than that on my old Pentium 3 PC...

bassy6
Apr 6, 2007, 05:23 PM
Huh? That's weird, I can get way more FPS than that on my old Pentium 3 PC...

Does it really matter. Gosh! 30 fps and above is great so really if you got way more then that then thats nice but 95 fps is great!:D

bassy6
Apr 8, 2007, 05:47 PM
Sorry to go on about this but, I get answers quick on this forum so.............. How do I change my network channel of my router or w/e? I just ran iStumbler and it shows that there are 3 other wireless networks in my area with the same frequency and channel as mine. This could have some reason to do with my speed...............Don't u think?:rolleyes:

Overclocker
Apr 8, 2007, 09:26 PM
Anyone try Second Life? How does it run on a macbook?

I don't have frame rates or anything right now, but I CAN tell you that it runs just 'okay' on my C2D iMac and CD Macbook on default settings.

I know this is subjective and i'll try and get some frame rates

pjarvi
Apr 8, 2007, 10:57 PM
World of Warcraft:

On my CD BlackBook (2GB RAM) I'm getting an average of 20FPS with everything turned down to low. It's playable but gives me a headache after about 2 hours. Indoors I've seen the framerate go as high as 39, but oddly enough everything starts lagging more when the framerate goes up.

bassy6
Apr 12, 2007, 05:43 PM
:mad: :mad: Ok. Does any1 know of any mac forums based on internet problems with the macbook? I just had my friend round and, he brought his laptop. I think u can probs guess from me being mad that he got up to 16mb max. It averaged around 13mb, while me on macbook gets about 6mb average and, the latest so far about 9.64mb Max. My router is a NETGEAR DG384GT if that helps at all, and my ISP is Sky Broadband. Any help at all will be gladly appreciated but if u can't that's alright, cuz it is after all a forum about, gaming on a macbook, not random problems on a macbook. Thx anyway. (still flipin mad :mad: :confused: )

PCtoMac-change
Apr 12, 2007, 05:51 PM
Halo works on OS X? Never knew that.:eek:

bassy6
Apr 12, 2007, 06:46 PM
Halo works on OS X? Never knew that.:eek:

sorry I have to laugh LOL:)

PCtoMac-change
Apr 12, 2007, 11:21 PM
sorry I have to laugh LOL:)

That's why I posted it. Maybe someone would get joy out of my stupidness.

bassy6
Apr 13, 2007, 04:51 AM
That's why I posted it. Maybe someone would get joy out of my stupidness.

lol. Do you play Halo? if you do which version? I play version 1.02. If you do play we could play sometime. Look out 4 {BTK}Bassy if u do play it.:)

lil' brudder
May 20, 2007, 03:05 PM
Does anyone even read the banner ads on this website anymore? Crucial.com has 2 gigs of original base model macbook memory for $88!

weezer160
May 23, 2007, 10:30 PM
I think we need to be more specific, Macbook now can many anything now, from 1.83 Core Duo w/512 or 2.13 Core 2 Duo w/2 GB. I'm confused because there happens to be a big (not significant) difference between just the two chips at the same clock speed.

Ok, I hope someone can answer my question, too: how well would Halo run one a MacBook (2.0 Ghz CD) with 2 GB of RAM?

weezer160
May 23, 2007, 10:31 PM
Does anyone even read the banner ads on this website anymore? Crucial.com has 2 gigs of original base model macbook memory for $88!

I ordered last weekend and just installed today. I love it! It boots faster, less load time, everything is snappier and my work flow has improved. I'm visiting this forum because I want to get a feel how well the MB with 2 GB performs with games such as Halo.

bassy6
May 28, 2007, 09:56 AM
I ordered last weekend and just installed today. I love it! It boots faster, less load time, everything is snappier and my work flow has improved. I'm visiting this forum because I want to get a feel how well the MB with 2 GB performs with games such as Halo.

Halo runs well at Highest settings on the Macbook with 2 gb ram. I think around 30 fps. If you get the universal binary version probs even better. Its a vid on youtube of it running on XP through bootcamp. Heres the link. http://youtube.com/watch?v=YSE7g0BhY-E Halo is at the end and at the beginning of this http://youtube.com/watch?v=lUS5nMWil6I&mode=related&search=

bassy6
May 28, 2007, 10:22 AM
Or if that isn't enough to satisfy you, you could always download the demo here http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/demos_updates/halocombatevolved.html:)

ac-mac
Jun 30, 2007, 04:54 PM
COD2 runs great on my MacBook at lowest texture settings (pretty good to be fair) and at 1024x680... its ~45fps
Sims 2 runs well... at lowest settings, but I dont need the same response time as COD2
UT (GOTY Edition) is the first game I got for mac and is the best. Runs at 60fps even though it isnt UB

is 2GB recomended, or should i save up for a new mac?

FreedomFighter
Jul 6, 2007, 06:09 PM
How does command and conquer 3 run

I have a 2.16 GHz C2D, 1 GB, 120 GB HD Mac book (White)
does it run smooth and would a RAm upgrade to 2 GB be necessary?:confused:

eXan
Jul 6, 2007, 09:57 PM
COD2 runs great on my MacBook at lowest texture settings (pretty good to be fair) and at 1024x680... its ~45fps

Where did you get that number from? My C2D MacBook with gig of RAM runs this game at minimum settings at only about 8-20 fps (when outside) :eek:

lewion
Jul 7, 2007, 08:07 AM
Where did you get that number from? My C2D MacBook with gig of RAM runs this game at minimum settings at only about 8-20 fps (when outside) :eek:

Then you really must have something wrong... i'm getting 20 fps at high settings so.. :p

wyrmintheapple
Jul 7, 2007, 09:51 AM
I'm confused as to how you got BF2 to run. Battlefield 2 is known to not run on ANY computer with an intel GMA950, including the Macbook.

Either you mean a Macbook PRO, or the whole original post is ********.

redaxe
Jul 8, 2007, 02:09 AM
Hey,

Does anyone know if it is even possible to get TESIV: Oblivion running on a Macbook? I wouldn't mind 640*480 resolutions. All I want is high texture detail (RAM should cover this no?) and a playable framerate. Is this doable?

eXan
Jul 9, 2007, 05:49 AM
Then you really must have something wrong... i'm getting 20 fps at high settings so.. :p

You must be playing on a MacBook Pro.

On maximum settings the game slows to crawl (single-digit FPS).

What version of CoD2 are you using?

bassy6
Jul 9, 2007, 07:09 AM
Hey,

Does anyone know if it is even possible to get TESIV: Oblivion running on a Macbook? I wouldn't mind 640*480 resolutions. All I want is high texture detail (RAM should cover this no?) and a playable framerate. Is this doable?

wow. I thought people stopped posting on here. U guys took so long to post something lol. I'm sorry to bust ur bubble but Oblivion(any of em) wont run on a macbook with highest textures. U can look at this vid for some ideas though. U might be able to get playable fps, but probs on the lowest.http://youtube.com/watch?v=15IDhCPC57M or http://youtube.com/watch?v=v3fil4ZzQnc&mode=related&search= Hope that helps.:)

Horatio000
Jul 9, 2007, 01:37 PM
Hello,

I'm in two minds at the moment whether to go for a Macbook, or pay the extra money for a Macbook Pro. I really want to play games such as; Rome: Total War, Medieval 2: Total War, Call of Duty 2 and Counter Strike Source. I know I would need to install Bootcamp, but would all of these games run well on the Macbook? thanks.

zeppelin68
Jul 9, 2007, 08:53 PM
If Oblivion is unplayable on the MB, try Oldblivon. It's a mod for weaker gfx cards. http://www.oldblivion.com/

eXan
Jul 10, 2007, 07:18 AM
Hello,

I'm in two minds at the moment whether to go for a Macbook, or pay the extra money for a Macbook Pro. I really want to play games such as; Rome: Total War, Medieval 2: Total War, Call of Duty 2 and Counter Strike Source. I know I would need to install Bootcamp, but would all of these games run well on the Macbook? thanks.

No. They would run like on a 3-year-old mid-range Mac, or worse. Believe me.

Horatio000
Jul 10, 2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks, so the only option seems to be the MacBook Pro :o

formkatze
Aug 14, 2007, 06:31 AM
Many people have brought up in this and other forums that Half-Life 2 runs beautifully (30-60 FPS) on a Macbook in single player with graphics turned up all the way except for anti-aliasing while Counter-Strike: Source is completely unplayable (2-9 FPS).

Also on this forum and others, people who have not tried playing Source multiplayer games respond saying, "Your hardware is not good enough." Please allow me to dispel this hypothesis in hopes of finding a solution.

First of all, I have seen videos and heard reports of users who can run Source fine on their Macbooks.

This problem has nothing to do with the MacBook not having enough RAM to run CS: Source. The same 2-9 FPS problem occurs in Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, which is almost the same game as HL2 single player. There is something else going on here.

There are also a couple of other odd things going on in these multiplayer games. Sometimes, when not much is on the screen, the FPS shoots up to over 100. Even stranger is that no matter how much you change the graphics settings (640x480 to 1280x800, low to high quality, various console command tweaks) there is virtually NO impact on the FPS!

Does anyone have any clue what would cause this kind of problem? It's driving me crazy that I can't play CS: Source and HL2 Deathmatch on a machine that, judging from HL2 single player, is obviously more than capable of handling it.

If no one has any ideas, perhaps someone could point me to a forum that deals with these kinds of issues?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and any help will be greatly appreciated!

ajgrout
Aug 24, 2007, 01:21 AM
I recently got a macbook with 2 gb of ram and i tried to play soldier of fortune II but it runs like crap its way to choppy to be enjoyable at all. I also have battlfield 1942 and it will run well but only if i lower the settings. Is there something i dont know about to help make the games run more smoothly? Is there anything i can do or do you just have any tips at all? Any help is appreciated thanks.

Reverb
Sep 8, 2007, 01:53 PM
Hi everyone, I am currently buying a few bits and pieces for my new MacBook and on the list is a cheap, decent game to fill any spare hours I might have! I was thinking something along the lines of Age of Empires 2 or the original Sims collection - these should run OK on a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM MacBook yeah? At least I hope so :eek:

And also have I understood right that "Universal Binary" software is software that is optimised for use on Intel Macs?

Cheers for any help! :) I will add the performance of whichever game I buy to the thread :cool:

eXan
Sep 8, 2007, 06:26 PM
And also have I understood right that "Universal Binary" software is software that is optimised for use on Intel Macs?

UB software contains code for both PPC and Intel processors. On whichever Mac you open it, it selects which code to choose seeing what type of CPU Mac has.

Reverb
Sep 17, 2007, 12:25 PM
Well I ended up buying Warcraft 3 and downloading the Intel patch - whacked all the settings on medium and it runs great! (This is on a Core2Duo 2.0 MacBook with 2GB RAM).

kelmaon
Oct 31, 2007, 04:14 PM
Hi everyone (1st post on these forums :))
I've enjoyed this thread so far and have been very pleased to see that the Macbook's performance can be so good in many games. I will soon be finishing school (=much more time on my hands!) and am thinking about getting a few new games then. However, I'm not sure which ones to get.

I have a black 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM. I have parallels installed and I also have a copy of Windows XP which I haven't installed yet. From the looks of this thread and others, should I invest in the new version of OSX (Leopard 10.5) since Bootcamp comes with it?

I am interested in running the following games, please help me figure out if they're playable and if so whether I should run them in OSX or Bootcamp

Civilization 4
Battlefield 2142 (or 1942)
Half Life 2
CS:Source

Thanks in advance :)

eXan
Oct 31, 2007, 09:58 PM
... new version of OSX (Panther 10.5) ...

I am interested in running the following games, please help me figure out if they're playable and if so whether I should run them in OSX or Bootcamp

Civilization 4
Half Life 2

Its Leopard 10.5. Panther was 10.3 :D

As for games, I'm afraid neither runs well on MacBook.

CRAZYBUBBA
Oct 31, 2007, 11:07 PM
I've enjoyed this thread so far and have been very pleased to see that the Macbook's performance can be so good in many games. I will soon be finishing school (=much more time on my hands!) and am thinking about getting a few new games then. However, I'm not sure which ones to get.

I have a black 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM. I have parallels installed and I also have a copy of Windows XP which I haven't installed yet. From the looks of this thread and others, should I invest in the new version of OSX (Panther 10.5) since Bootcamp comes with it?

Civilization 4
Half Life 2

I run civ4 and call of duty 2 comfortably on my powerbook

kelmaon
Nov 1, 2007, 03:01 AM
Its Leopard 10.5. Panther was 10.3 :D

As for games, I'm afraid neither runs well on MacBook.

Oops, my mistake. But what do you mean by neither? If Civ4 won't work then I guess I'll play Civ3, but

I run civ4 and call of duty 2 comfortably on my powerbook

Do you run them in OSX or in Windows?

Thanks for the help guys :)

eXan
Nov 1, 2007, 04:01 AM
But what do you mean by neither? If Civ4 won't work then I guess I'll play Civ3

I mean that no game from your list runs smooth on a MacBook.

And if i'm not mistaken, all the games you mentioned have no Mac version, except for Battlefield 1942 & 2142, but I hear the 2142 is very buggy for OS X.

bassy6
Nov 1, 2007, 06:52 AM

I have a black 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM. I have parallels installed and I also have a copy of Windows XP which I haven't installed yet. From the looks of this thread and others, should I invest in the new version of OSX (Leopard 10.5) since Bootcamp comes with it?

Civilization 4
Half Life 2

Well see if these vidz help http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSAf56v1S4 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SgRq_ddLJbs not sure if this in CS:S or w/e cuz i dont play CS http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HaQxyA3NI1Y but I'm sure this is Source http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RhFHMSZ4-8A . As for Civ4 and Battlefield I'm not sure they run on a Macbook. Hope those vidz help ;)

Oh and eXan, you're always commenting negative. You should never just say "it wont work" when people have already posted that HL2 runs(in campaign) so why write HL2 wont work? At least if you're going to tell someone it wont work show proof. But tbh most of those games wont run amazing! If you want to game the best way to go is a Macbook Pro, but for casual gaming the Macbook isn't "too" bad for most games. Just leave the games like Oblivion out of the question :p

eXan
Nov 1, 2007, 07:23 AM
Oh and eXan, you're always commenting negative. You should never just say "it wont work" when people have already posted that HL2 runs(in campaign) so why write HL2 wont work? At least if you're going to tell someone it wont work show proof. But tbh most of those games wont run amazing! If you want to game the best way to go is a Macbook Pro, but for casual gaming the Macbook isn't "too" bad for most games. Just leave the games like Oblivion out of the question :p

I have a MacBook myself and tried a lot of games on it and the performance is worse than most people think.

And I never said it wont work, just said those games wont run well, very often dropping to "unplayable" level.

Sometimes my replies seem very negative, but its better than somebody getting disappointed in his/her "new shiny Mac" after getting positive answers on these forums about gaming on MacBook. :)

CRAZYBUBBA
Nov 1, 2007, 11:15 AM
Oops, my mistake. But what do you mean by neither? If Civ4 won't work then I guess I'll play Civ3, but

Do you run them in OSX or in Windows?

Thanks for the help guys :)

OSX! I haven't touched windows in ages.

iJawn108
Nov 1, 2007, 12:04 PM
my old diablo II runs ok on my macbook

velvetelvis
Nov 2, 2007, 10:49 PM
my old diablo II runs ok on my macbook

not just d2, the expansion runs fantastic. this game is crackier than everquest.

kelmaon
Nov 4, 2007, 12:18 AM
Well see if these vidz help http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSAf56v1S4 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SgRq_ddLJbs not sure if this in CS:S or w/e cuz i dont play CS http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HaQxyA3NI1Y but I'm sure this is Source http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RhFHMSZ4-8A . As for Civ4 and Battlefield I'm not sure they run on a Macbook. Hope those vidz help ;)
OSX! I haven't touched windows in ages.
I mean that no game from your list runs smooth on a MacBook.

And if i'm not mistaken, all the games you mentioned have no Mac version, except for Battlefield 1942 & 2142, but I hear the 2142 is very buggy for OS X.

Thanks everyone, guess I'll look into 1942, CS:S and COD2.

PS: 'Neither' implies a choice between two possibilities, not four, which was why I got confused ;)

eXan
Nov 4, 2007, 12:51 AM
PS: 'Neither' implies a choice between two possibilities, not four, which was why I got confused ;)

Really? I'm sorry then :( English isn't my native language...

Red Sox
Nov 4, 2007, 01:19 AM
I just tried the COD2 demo in Leopard using an new updated MacBook (X3100) w/ 1GB Ram and it ran surprisingly well. I'm currently installing HL2 and CS:S on my Windoze side and I'll let you guys know how it runs.

Capt Underpants
Nov 4, 2007, 01:00 AM
I just tried the COD2 demo in Leopard using an new updated MacBook (X3100) w/ 1GB Ram and it ran surprisingly well. I'm currently installing HL2 and CS:S on my Windoze side and I'll let you guys know how it runs.

I subscribed to this thread so I could get your CS:S results.

I really want to be able to play it on my new macbook, but I'm expecting disappointment.

Red Sox
Nov 4, 2007, 10:42 AM
OK, CS:S totally sucks on the new MacBook with X1300, extremely laggy, just like the GMA 950.

HL2 won't even start! It freezes up on the "loading" screen. And on my third try, it suddenly rebooted my computer!

I'll keep trying. Maybe I'll reinstall.

Capt Underpants
Nov 4, 2007, 11:45 AM
OK, CS:S totally sucks on the new MacBook with X1300, extremely laggy, just like the GMA 950.

HL2 won't even start! It freezes up on the "loading" screen. And on my third try, it suddenly rebooted my computer!

I'll keep trying. Maybe I'll reinstall.

Dang. I guess I'll just play CS 1.6 whenever I get the urge to play. It's better than no gaming, which has been my situation for quite a while. Bummer.

Sp3shl K
Nov 4, 2007, 11:27 PM
i just started using bootcamp and i can get hl2 to start and run for a lil bit, but then it says it encountered an error and has to close. maybe an update is in order or something. anyways gonna try this and call of duty2 next/:D

Red Sox
Nov 5, 2007, 12:00 AM
i just started using bootcamp and i can get hl2 to start and run for a lil bit, but then it says it encountered an error and has to close. maybe an update is in order or something. anyways gonna try this and call of duty2 next/:D

are you running it on the GMA 950 graphics card or the new X3100?

BearsFan34
Nov 10, 2007, 11:28 PM
I have one of the newly-released MacBooks, a 2.2GHz white MB with 2GB of RAM. While I know/understand that it's not a true "Santa Rosa" chipset, it's based on that platform with the Intel X3100 graphics engine and 144MB of shared VRAM...so I'm curious...

I already own Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 for the PC. I have VMWare Fusion installed already, and BF2142 wouldn't get past the opening-splash screen.

I have the latest Parallels available to me as well, I purchased 3.0 awhile ago for work...but thought I'd give Fusion a try. Anyone know if BF2142 or BF2 will work with the latest Parallels or Fusion beta?

Or is Boot Camp the only way?

I'm unclear as to whether these new MacBooks & their upgraded graphics capabilities can now handle Battlefield games in some fashion. Thanks for any help.

bobber205
Nov 10, 2007, 11:52 PM
Games generally don't work well when run in a emulator.
Windows under VMware isn't using your graphics card, it's using VMware's graphics card (so to speak).

Kwub
Nov 13, 2007, 08:53 PM
Previously, I've attempted to run CS:Source on my Macbook (2.0 GHz, 2 GB Ram) via Bootcamp with horrific results, the framerate usually averaging out at 2-4 FPS and rendering the game absolutely unplayable. This always struck me as rather odd, given that I am able to run Half-Life 2 at high settings and achieve a respectably impressive frame rate (typically in the 30s).

Today, however, out of idle curiosity, I was testing Steam games via Tiger instead of Bootcamp, having just acquired the program Crossover Mac. To my shock, running Steam through Crossover, I was not only able to run the entire Half-Life 2 line of games, but I was able to play Counterstrike Source with average frame rates exceeding 25 FPS on fairly high settings.

As a die-hard CS:S fan, I am obviously overjoyed, and I hope this knowledge will lend itself to others here looking for a good bit of classic counter-terroristic fun on the go with their Macbooks, at long last.

EthanNixon
Nov 14, 2007, 08:47 PM
Hello,

I do not have a MacBook, but I am looking into buying one for a viable source to play Counter-Strike: Source on. I play this game competativly in various leagues. (CAL, CEVO, various LANs) I am not sure how familiar the MAC community is with FPS Configs, but I have made one of the best ones to date for bad computer specs when it comes to gaming. Again, I don't know how to do this with CrossOver, but it is relativly easy on Windows. First you have to go to my ESEA page and download my config, I will include the link at the bottom of my post.

Outline for FPS Config:
Download my config file.
Save file as autoexec.cfg.
Place autoexec.cfg in your Steam\steamapps\username\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg.
You should now be running my FPS config for Counter-Strike: Source.

Launch Options:
Open up Steam.exe.
Right-Click on Counter-Strike: Source.
Find "Properties".
Select "Launch Options".
Paste the following, word for word: -heapsize 512000 -dxlevel 81 -width 1024 -height 768 -novid -noforcemspd -noforcemaccel -noforcemparms
Change the the -width -height commands for whatever resolution you prefer to play on.

I hope this helps, and I really hope someone tries this and gets back. I want to buy a Macbook, but only if I can get good FPS. I would prefer to see results from the x3100 MacBook, since that is the one I will be getting.

FPS Config (http://file001.esportsea.com/configs/game.cs/176203.cfg)

Kwub
Nov 14, 2007, 11:56 PM
CS:Source simply will not run on Bootcamp decently under any settings, at least not on an ordinary Macbook. The highest framerate you will get will still be well under 10fps. Again, the game works perfectly in Crossover, and for the moment that seems to be the solution for CS:S on Macbook.

EthanNixon
Nov 15, 2007, 01:06 AM
I am pretty sure if you use my config you will get more than 30 FPS. I have personally played on computers worst then the MacBook and gotten atleast 30 FPS. I am talking Sempron 2500, NVidia 440MX, 128MB Ram. I still got 30 FPS with that computer. Running a game with a default config when the system doesn't meet the minimum requirements, I wouldn't expect much either. Someone give my method a shot and see what happens. Make sure you use the lowest resolution, since the lower the resolution, the lower the GPU is needed.

Kwub
Nov 15, 2007, 03:44 PM
I am pretty sure if you use my config you will get more than 30 FPS. I have personally played on computers worst then the MacBook and gotten atleast 30 FPS. I am talking Sempron 2500, NVidia 440MX, 128MB Ram. I still got 30 FPS with that computer. Running a game with a default config when the system doesn't meet the minimum requirements, I wouldn't expect much either. Someone give my method a shot and see what happens. Make sure you use the lowest resolution, since the lower the resolution, the lower the GPU is needed.

I can practically guarantee that it will not work. I am no stranger to graphical compatibility configurations of the Half-Life 2 line, including CS:S, and I can assure you that I have tried virtually everything possible, including the settings you've suggested (along with a great deal of others). There is simply some manner of incompatibility with XP Bootcamp and CS:S, whatever the issue may be, and no amount of settings changes to the game itself will prove successful. I spent almost four hours testing CS:S in this manner, with nothing even remotely close to success.
Again, it has nothing to do with the game settings itself. Dark Messiah is a much more graphically-intensive and system-demanding Source title than CS:S, and yet through a few simple tweaks will run perfectly on Windows XP via Bootcamp on a Macbook. The same goes for a number of other games vastly more demanding than CS:S, including even Oblivion.
The simple truth of the matter is that, for one reason or another, it is simply not possible to run CS:S on Bootcamp on a Macbook at the moment, at least not through simple editing of settings.

But, as I've said, the game runs perfectly via Crossover Mac, and you get the benefit of not being forced to reboot your Macbook every time you wish to play the game.

EthanNixon
Nov 15, 2007, 07:42 PM
Have you tried updating ALL of your drivers in windows? I can personally vouch that you can get more than 10 FPS via BootCamp from my friends MacBook on Vista. I sure as hell know you will get a little more on XP, especially with an FPS config of my magnitude. He averaged around 7-10. Sometimes it shot up to 20ish, sometimes it dropped to 2.

AppleNinja
Nov 15, 2007, 09:05 PM
Anyone tried "lord of the rings battle for middle earth 2"? it is my favorite game besides CS:S ...

Feedback please

RZetlin
Nov 15, 2007, 09:12 PM
Flyff: (http://flyff.gpotato.com/) A free MMORPG.

Parallels: Games installs but does not run.

Bootcamp: Game installs and runs okay. Remember to disable the F1-12 control keys when using the ingame shortcut keys.

Red Sox
Nov 16, 2007, 05:40 PM
I can practically guarantee that it will not work. I am no stranger to graphical compatibility configurations of the Half-Life 2 line, including CS:S, and I can assure you that I have tried virtually everything possible, including the settings you've suggested (along with a great deal of others). There is simply some manner of incompatibility with XP Bootcamp and CS:S, whatever the issue may be, and no amount of settings changes to the game itself will prove successful. I spent almost four hours testing CS:S in this manner, with nothing even remotely close to success.
Again, it has nothing to do with the game settings itself. Dark Messiah is a much more graphically-intensive and system-demanding Source title than CS:S, and yet through a few simple tweaks will run perfectly on Windows XP via Bootcamp on a Macbook. The same goes for a number of other games vastly more demanding than CS:S, including even Oblivion.
The simple truth of the matter is that, for one reason or another, it is simply not possible to run CS:S on Bootcamp on a Macbook at the moment, at least not through simple editing of settings.

But, as I've said, the game runs perfectly via Crossover Mac, and you get the benefit of not being forced to reboot your Macbook every time you wish to play the game.

Hey Kwub, are you running it on the old GMA 950 or the updated GMA X3100? Because I've got the X3100 and CS:S gets around 47.5 FPS. I'm running it on XP via BootCamp, at 1280x800 with lowest graphics settings, and also running DX8.1, not DX9.

Kwub
Nov 16, 2007, 08:01 PM
Hey Kwub, are you running it on the old GMA 950 or the updated GMA X3100? Because I've got the X3100 and CS:S gets around 47.5 FPS. I'm running it on XP via BootCamp, at 1280x800 with lowest graphics settings, and also running DX8.1, not DX9.

GMA 950, which is probably the reason, in all likelihood.

thekeeper
Nov 17, 2007, 03:44 PM
Has anyone been able to install Fahrenheit (or indogo Prophecy for our American friends) on their macbook?
I installed it on my 1.83 core duo 2gig macbook , it starts up ok, but after login the game stops and xp gives un 'unexpected error' window. Anyone been able to run it? Cause i vaguely remember someone saying it ran well on their mac but I don't seem to find any info on the web.
edit; i run it via bootcamp, no crossover stuff or parallels

edit2; apparently, it was just a matter of installing a patch fopr the game, fahrenheit runs very well on my macbook now. Very nice game by the way.

RZetlin
Nov 17, 2007, 08:30 PM
Macbook with GMA 950.

Unreal Tournament 3

Bootcamp: The game installs, but refuses to run. The game takes a memory dump. It seems the GMA 950 card is too puny for the UT3 uber shaders.

Parallels: You're kidding right?

Kwub
Nov 18, 2007, 01:30 AM
Macbook with GMA 950.

Unreal Tournament 3

Bootcamp: The game installs, but refuses to run. The game takes a memory dump. It seems the GMA 950 card is too puny for the UT3 uber shaders.

Parallels: You're kidding right?

Hah, given the Macbook performance (or lack thereof) of games using the now-dated Quake IV engine, I'd be surprised beyond all reason if UT3 managed to run at above 5fps anyway.

Sp3shl K
Nov 18, 2007, 04:39 PM
has anyone tried playing far cry on the macbook? i have a 2.16ghz 2gig white macbook and was wondering how well it would work.

Whitesnake
Nov 19, 2007, 10:05 AM
I've tried Far Cry on the Santa Rosa MacBook and it runs very well until you go outside which completely kills the performance.

One thing I've noticed about the GMA X3100 on games is whenever the view distance on a game gets long and large the performance just drops right down.

When playing it seems like a bug as it always happens under the same circumstances in different types of games.

This problem has happened to me in Half Life 2/UT2004/Far Cry/Battlefront.

Each of these games will run very smooth until you hit a big enviroment.

I'm using the latest drivers for the X3100 and XP with 1gb ram.

eXan
Nov 20, 2007, 10:19 PM
I've tried Far Cry on the Santa Rosa MacBook and it runs very well until you go outside which completely kills the performance.

One thing I've noticed about the GMA X3100 on games is whenever the view distance on a game gets long and large the performance just drops right down.

When playing it seems like a bug as it always happens under the same circumstances in different types of games.

This problem has happened to me in Half Life 2/UT2004/Far Cry/Battlefront.

Each of these games will run very smooth until you hit a big enviroment.

I'm using the latest drivers for the X3100 and XP with 1gb ram.

Large open areas put heavy stress on the GPU, thus a huge drop in performance.

Soab
Dec 3, 2007, 12:07 PM
Hello,

I do not have a MacBook, but I am looking into buying one for a viable source to play Counter-Strike: Source on. I play this game competativly in various leagues. (CAL, CEVO, various LANs) I am not sure how familiar the MAC community is with FPS Configs, but I have made one of the best ones to date for bad computer specs when it comes to gaming. Again, I don't know how to do this with CrossOver, but it is relativly easy on Windows. First you have to go to my ESEA page and download my config, I will include the link at the bottom of my post.

Outline for FPS Config:
Download my config file.
Save file as autoexec.cfg.
Place autoexec.cfg in your Steam\steamapps\username\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg.
You should now be running my FPS config for Counter-Strike: Source.

Launch Options:
Open up Steam.exe.
Right-Click on Counter-Strike: Source.
Find "Properties".
Select "Launch Options".
Paste the following, word for word: -heapsize 512000 -dxlevel 81 -width 1024 -height 768 -novid -noforcemspd -noforcemaccel -noforcemparms
Change the the -width -height commands for whatever resolution you prefer to play on.

I hope this helps, and I really hope someone tries this and gets back. I want to buy a Macbook, but only if I can get good FPS. I would prefer to see results from the x3100 MacBook, since that is the one I will be getting.

FPS Config (http://file001.esportsea.com/configs/game.cs/176203.cfg)

Hey i have tested a couple of steam games trough bootcamp on my SR macbook, 2ghz C2D, 1gb ram, GMA X3100 NEWEST GPU DRIVER FOR WINDOWS

CS:S
Totally laggy without some tweaking, 2-5 fps. Easily fixed with -dxlevel 81. Steady fps at 40 on de_cbble, at all settings at low or off, 1024x768 resolution. With EthanNixon's launch settings and cmd-file, pretty steady 60 fps at de_cbble, all setting at low or off, 1024x768 resolution. 47,98 FPS in the stress test at these settings.

HL2
Didnt work at all without the newest driver, so get it! its under 965 express family on the intel site. Plays nice even without using -dxlevel 81, but i have just played for a couple of minutes. The settings are mostly at high. totally playable!

Team Fortress 2
Not playable at all under dx 9.0, but is playable with -dxlevel 81 in the launch options. Fps drop at high distances.

Portal
Choppy when you enter a portal, game hangs for a couple of seconds(under dx 9.0) With -dxlevel 81, the game is playable fps-wise, but the portals look they are closed/have no exit. Prolly because dx 8.1 dont support that kind of effect. Im sure this game will work with some twaking, but i havent spent any time on it yet.

Conclusion: A really pleasent surprise for a casual gamer like me, who didnt really buy this notebook for gaming. Im not so sure about you, if you are playing CS:Source at a high level. I assume that you want a macbook because of the great OS and stuff. If you just need a laptop for gaming, dont buy a macbook! Its not built for gaming at all and the graphics card is actually made to get better performance watching movies and stuff. It preforms surprisingly well for beeing a non-gaming machine, but dont expect this to run any new game on high quality settings. Alltho, if you are gonna use it for more then gaming, i totally recommend it! Leopard is great, and the whole computer (both hardware/case and software is so well thought trough) Its my first mac, and i didnt really buy it for games but im gonna play alot on it now that i see how well it works! To me you seemed like a hardcore gamer who needs a machine that runs CS:S perfectly, but its really up to you and you needs :)

hiohokaybye
Dec 3, 2007, 01:13 PM
does ntfs carbon and flight simulator x and battlefield 2142 work on a macbook with 2 gb of ram, and 2.0ghz? i have the older mac with the gma 950

Soab
Dec 4, 2007, 05:01 PM
Hey i just noticed that the autoexec.cfg-file got saved as autoexec.cfg.txt, and therefore wasn't loaded when i tested the fps. Im sorry for this, and i will hopefully be able to test it with your settings tomorrow.

-Soab

ClassicMac247
Dec 4, 2007, 05:17 PM
those are all pretty good games.

macdim
Dec 5, 2007, 01:40 PM
Santa Rosa MacBook 2.2. Half-Life 2 -> 30fps indoors at 1280x800 everything on high except anti-aliasing, filtering (trilinear), and reflections set to "world". Gets massively choppy outdoors, but changing the texture quality to medium and model quality to medium (or low?) results in pretty amazing performance in DX8.1. CS:Source -> at least 30 fps in DX8.1, medium texture quality on de_dust2. Haven't tried other maps, but most are more demanding and would probably results in lower fps. Changing the resolution to 1024x768 results in silky smooth performance at max detail. On the OSX side, Call of Duty 2 plays extremely smoothly for me at mid-high settings at native resolution.

That's all for now.

Farani
Dec 9, 2007, 03:47 PM
Hah, given the Macbook performance (or lack thereof) of games using the now-dated Quake IV engine, I'd be surprised beyond all reason if UT3 managed to run at above 5fps anyway.

Anyone think Gears of War will run on a SR Macbook using Bootcamp?

TSE
Dec 9, 2007, 03:59 PM
MacBook, GMA 950, 512 MB RAM, EverQuest: Mac Edition runs fine.

MacBook, GMA X3100, 2 GBs RAM, EverQuest: Mac Edition runs AWESOME.

Anyone know if I can play the very old and outdated computer game, Age of Empires 2 over Windows Vista on VMWare Fusion with a new MacBook with the specs below?

spriter
Dec 12, 2007, 02:13 AM
Anyone think Gears of War will run on a SR Macbook using Bootcamp?

I think Gears running anything near smoothly on a maxed out MacBook is wildly optimistic, although I haven't tried. Expansive outdoor areas have time and again been the achilles heel of which, Gears has many.

The last game I tried was BF2142 and it couldn't even draw the world properly (no objects, vehicles, etc) due to the shaders. I'd love to be proved wrong, though :)

Stridder44
Dec 12, 2007, 02:19 AM
MacBook, GMA 950, 512 MB RAM, EverQuest: Mac Edition runs fine.

MacBook, GMA X3100, 2 GBs RAM, EverQuest: Mac Edition runs AWESOME.

Anyone know if I can play the very old and outdated computer game, Age of Empires 2 over Windows Vista on VMWare Fusion with a new MacBook with the specs below?

Define "awesome". Medium settings does not = "awesome" (not saying it can't run it High settings, just want details instead of opinions).

Capt Underpants
Dec 12, 2007, 01:48 PM
Santa Rosa MacBook 2.2. Half-Life 2 -> 30fps indoors at 1280x800 everything on high except anti-aliasing, filtering (trilinear), and reflections set to "world". Gets massively choppy outdoors, but changing the texture quality to medium and model quality to medium (or low?) results in pretty amazing performance in DX8.1. CS:Source -> at least 30 fps in DX8.1, medium texture quality on de_dust2. Haven't tried other maps, but most are more demanding and would probably results in lower fps. Changing the resolution to 1024x768 results in silky smooth performance at max detail. On the OSX side, Call of Duty 2 plays extremely smoothly for me at mid-high settings at native resolution.

That's all for now.

Does changing texure detail in any way impact your frames per second in CS:S? I can change texture and model detail from high to low on any given resolution, and my frames stay identical. The only way I can get better frames is if I change resolutions.

I'm not complaining, as I get 30-40 FPS at 1024x768 (high texture detail, high model detail, low shaders, simple reflections, DX 8.1, for those wondering). It' just interesting that texture detail has no impact on frames.

zakee00
Dec 12, 2007, 10:36 PM
Having been a pretty hardcore PC gamer for about 5 years now it's funny reading this thread :D

Anywhere else in the gaming world framerates less than 30 are considered pretty much unplayable. My 3 year old PC that I built plays CS:S at over 100 fps with high settings @1280 8x AF 4x AA while a new MacBook can hardly get 30, in XP, on low :o.

Games seem to be the only area that Apple is much, much, much too far behind in. I'll be buying a MacBook this summer and in order to save it some embarrassment, an Xbox 360+32" LCD to go along with it :D

Farani
Dec 16, 2007, 08:53 AM
I think Gears running anything near smoothly on a maxed out MacBook is wildly optimistic, although I haven't tried. Expansive outdoor areas have time and again been the achilles heel of which, Gears has many.

The last game I tried was BF2142 and it couldn't even draw the world properly (no objects, vehicles, etc) due to the shaders. I'd love to be proved wrong, though :)

Yeah I tried running UT4 demo on vista home premium on my SR MB and it runs but it's not playable.

iProd
Dec 16, 2007, 01:34 PM
Having been a pretty hardcore PC gamer for about 5 years now it's funny reading this thread :D

Anywhere else in the gaming world framerates less than 30 are considered pretty much unplayable. My 3 year old PC that I built plays CS:S at over 100 fps with high settings @1280 8x AF 4x AA while a new MacBook can hardly get 30, in XP, on low :o.

Games seem to be the only area that Apple is much, much, much too far behind in. I'll be buying a MacBook this summer and in order to save it some embarrassment, an Xbox 360+32" LCD to go along with it :D

Having been playing games since DOOM, I'd say you're pretty much talking out of your ass. :D

weenerdog
Dec 16, 2007, 09:27 PM
Hi im running halo on white macbook 1 gb ram. I have model detail set to low but I still get really awful frame rates when their are lots of enemies onscreen. I don't have the universal binary and my ram isn't to great. How much faster could I get if I use intel version or upgrade ram. Also are my current configurations enough to handle sims 2

iBoosh
Dec 17, 2007, 07:39 AM
I have a new Macbook. 2.2gb and 4gig of ram. How do you guys think the Mac versions of Sim City 4 deluxe and Sims 2 would run on this set-up?

themachatter
Dec 17, 2007, 10:17 AM
I have a new Macbook. 2.2gb and 4gig of ram. How do you guys think the Mac versions of Sim City 4 deluxe and Sims 2 would run on this set-up?

I have Sim City 4 on my MB 2.2ghz with 1 gig of ram and it runs fine. So you should be fine with that...Not sure about Sims 2.

EthanNixon
Dec 17, 2007, 01:18 PM
Hey i have tested a couple of steam games trough bootcamp on my SR macbook, 2ghz C2D, 1gb ram, GMA X3100 NEWEST GPU DRIVER FOR WINDOWS

CS:S
Totally laggy without some tweaking, 2-5 fps. Easily fixed with -dxlevel 81. Steady fps at 40 on de_cbble, at all settings at low or off, 1024x768 resolution. With EthanNixon's launch settings and cmd-file, pretty steady 60 fps at de_cbble, all setting at low or off, 1024x768 resolution. 47,98 FPS in the stress test at these settings.

HL2
Didnt work at all without the newest driver, so get it! its under 965 express family on the intel site. Plays nice even without using -dxlevel 81, but i have just played for a couple of minutes. The settings are mostly at high. totally playable!

Team Fortress 2
Not playable at all under dx 9.0, but is playable with -dxlevel 81 in the launch options. Fps drop at high distances.

Portal
Choppy when you enter a portal, game hangs for a couple of seconds(under dx 9.0) With -dxlevel 81, the game is playable fps-wise, but the portals look they are closed/have no exit. Prolly because dx 8.1 dont support that kind of effect. Im sure this game will work with some twaking, but i havent spent any time on it yet.

Conclusion: A really pleasent surprise for a casual gamer like me, who didnt really buy this notebook for gaming. Im not so sure about you, if you are playing CS:Source at a high level. I assume that you want a macbook because of the great OS and stuff. If you just need a laptop for gaming, dont buy a macbook! Its not built for gaming at all and the graphics card is actually made to get better performance watching movies and stuff. It preforms surprisingly well for beeing a non-gaming machine, but dont expect this to run any new game on high quality settings. Alltho, if you are gonna use it for more then gaming, i totally recommend it! Leopard is great, and the whole computer (both hardware/case and software is so well thought trough) Its my first mac, and i didnt really buy it for games but im gonna play alot on it now that i see how well it works! To me you seemed like a hardcore gamer who needs a machine that runs CS:S perfectly, but its really up to you and you needs :)

I am really interested to see the results of my FPS config with this computer. If I can save a lot of money by getting a MacBook and not a MacBook Pro, then I would be REALLY happy. I do play extremely competative, and I will be traveling to Europe during the spring to attend I33. If I do this and I don't get a sponsor to cover for a laptop or a computer for the weekend, then I am going to buy a laptop that can play this game. I will probly still end up getting a MacBook Pro, simply because there is a chance I can play Counter-Strike via VMware's Fusion and that would be incredible.

iBoosh
Dec 18, 2007, 02:58 AM
I have Sim City 4 on my MB 2.2ghz with 1 gig of ram and it runs fine. So you should be fine with that...Not sure about Sims 2.

Is it the Mac version you have?

iBunny
Dec 18, 2007, 07:15 AM
I lol'ed when I read about people mad that the X3100 cant play games.

Its an integrated video card. Ick. Good luck playing games from 2004 decent, much less UT3. Haha lolerskates.

themachatter
Dec 18, 2007, 10:52 AM
Is it the Mac version you have?

Yes it's the OSX version.

EthanNixon
Dec 18, 2007, 01:09 PM
I lol'ed when I read about people mad that the X3100 cant play games.

Its an integrated video card. Ick. Good luck playing games from 2004 decent, much less UT3. Haha lolerskates.

You are pretty ignorant. Google "New x3100 Drivers from Intel". You will see why people will expect to play these games when Intel demonstrates them on much of the same hardware as the MacBook. Although it only T&L support, but not all games take advantage to that.

rmrob
Dec 20, 2007, 05:10 PM
Hey guys, I have a Macbook with 2 GHz core 2 Dou and i have HOMM V, and when ever i try to play it no matter what setting, the screen is too dark. not even a gamma adjustment fixes it... the game is completely unplayable.. anyone experience this or have any ideas how to deal with it.

RyougaSaotome
Dec 20, 2007, 10:08 PM
Hey everyone.

I just wanted to give a HUGE thankyou to all the people who put helped put this thread together. I've been wondering if there was any way to play games on my new mac, and this was the first thing to pop up on google. It's all been very very helpful.

da man
Dec 27, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hello all.

I'm a civ iii fanatic. I've been playing on an old pc, but I'm thinking of buying a new macbook pro (intel core 2 duo processor) running leopard (OS X 10.5 I think). Will Civ iii complete for macs run ok on this machine?

Coder
Dec 28, 2007, 06:32 PM
I recently bought a new 2.0GHz Macbook (with the X3100 graphics chip) and it played World of Warcraft almost exactly as well as my old 1.25Ghz Powerbook G4 with Ati 9600 Mobility. With most settings at low, but with high resolution textures and terrain draw distance at about 1/4 of max (any lower and it looks like everything is in a fog), it got about 15-25 fps. It was playable, but I was hoping for better from the X3100, and if I lowered the settings any more, I found it to be too ugly to play.

I actually ended up returning the Macbook (mostly because of the horrid viewing angle) and keeping my old Powerbook, and bought an iMac 2.4 with 256MB 2600 Pro graphics for the same price - it plays WoW fantastically :)

HamLord
Jan 2, 2008, 04:01 AM
Hey everyone,

Just a heads up on Dawn of War. Despite not being compatible with Intel's integrated graphics chipset, with a few changes to the driver config, it not only runs, it runs very well indeed. With medium to high settings, it looks great and is only choppy during large fights.

2.2 ghz, 2 gb ram, GMA X3100

I've really been impressed so far at the number and quality of games playable on my macbook. I'm pretty satisfied!

aspro
Jan 3, 2008, 04:19 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone know that Europa Universalis III runs great on my Macbook.

There are occasions where the animations don't come off as well as they do on more powerful computers but the general gameplay works exactly the same.

This is with all the optional graphics off (the game isn't much more fancy looking with them on anyway).

wilbo252
Feb 3, 2008, 12:51 PM
has any one tried MoH?

I have a black macbook, 2gb ram on roder..just shipped today :D

rittchard
Feb 4, 2008, 11:58 PM
Hellgate London: just tried this out tonight on 1.6/80 Macbook Air (using Windows XP / Bootcamp with newest X3100 drivers).

Had to turn everything to Low but left native resolution of 1280x800. In one of the traditionally worst zones with lots of pets and NPCs running around, I was getting in the range of 10-15fps. Unit definitely started heating up though, I could feel the heat on my fingers :-)

Rio
Feb 6, 2008, 04:59 PM
Halo 2 for Mac?

rittchard
Feb 6, 2008, 05:48 PM
For all you strategy fans out there, some more good games I've recently installed on the MBA (1.6/80/X3100/Windows XP SP2/1280x800):

Fantasy Wars - turn based, nice 3D graphics, gameplay similar to the original Fantasy General game from SSI. Runs very well in low details, well enough I'll probably experiment with increasing the quality.

Space Ranger 2 - turn based with some RPG-ish features mixed in. Haven't played a lot but has had good reviews and runs well.

Sins of a Solar Empire - RTS with 4X-ish gameplay, brand new release! Runs well so far in mostly High detail. Reviews seem generally favorable so far, looks like a good game.

Best thing is all 3 games I purchased had downloadable versions, and thus require no disk, very nice for the MBA.

I had really not intended to use the MBA as much of a gaming machine, but now it's looking like it's much more powerful than I'd originally imagined. Very pleasant surprise!

hellraiser0815
Feb 7, 2008, 02:09 AM
i was wondering if anyone tried running eve online on the macbook via bootcamp on an intel gma 950

and has anyone managed to get the hammer editor running properly ?

eyedoc_00
Feb 17, 2008, 02:49 AM
Will this game play with the 2.2 Ghz MacBook? It has the GMA x3100 video card. I will be upgrading to 4 GB of ram ($99 from Other world computing). Any suggestion on sport games? I will not be using bootcamp.
Thanks

Adam552
Feb 17, 2008, 10:25 AM
Battlefield 2142 for mac? It works?
I was being told it did not run on the Macbook 13.3" $1099 one.

I'm buying it now!

lucky3killer
Feb 17, 2008, 10:52 AM
Battlefield 2142 for mac? It works?
I was being told it did not run on the Macbook 13.3" $1099 one.

I'm buying it now!

If requirement system said GMA isn't supported then can't run it.

You are require to own iMac, MBP or Mac Pro to run this game, not on MacBook or Mac Mini.

None of EA games for Mac that support GMA.

ChrisN
Feb 18, 2008, 11:02 AM
I have a macbook 2ghz and 1 gb of ram and 10gb on my windows partition side, i use steam and got css but when I try to install it there is either an error that says servers are too busy and to try again later or that I dont have enough memory.

Can anyone help, I really wanna play cs s
Thanks,
Chris N

davidtmarquez
Feb 27, 2008, 12:13 PM
i've been wondering how to get Battlefield 2 working.
actually.. i'm running vista, and have the same problems with PC users.

and.. Battle for Middle Earth II works decent enough. supports til 1024 x (something.. i forgot. :]])

ANewMacGuy
Feb 27, 2008, 01:39 PM
Hi,
I'm getting better at this Mac stuff but I'm still more proficient at windows. I ran BF2 all the time with 2 different computer with Vista. The biggest problem can be:
1. You have an integrated video card or not enough video ram.
2. You need to run the game with "XP compatibility Mode".
3. You may need to run as administrator if your not logged in as one.
4. You have more than 3 gigs of ram which needs a patch which stops those dreaded crash to desktop errors 'CTD'. All of these problems will cause a CTD.

I had each of those issues until I resolved one at a time. Then the game ran excellent. With an 8600GT 256mg card from nvidia, I would easily get 80 to 120 fps with everything on high except two settings and at the highest resolution.

Now I have an iMac 20" 2.4 with 4 gig of ram, 3 of which XP acknowledges, and running BF2 with bootcamp XP, I get 80 to 100 fps easily with no crashes at all. I run with everything on high and 1200 X something for resolution. If I try to run at 1400 my fps drops to about 50-ish which normally is playable but hard to drop that low when I'm used to higher. Plus not one Punkbuster issue which is the other plague that BF2 has.

ANewMacGuy

mhaas
Mar 3, 2008, 04:18 AM
Great thread keep it up!!!

airjuggernaut
Mar 3, 2008, 07:26 AM
If any of you are planning on running games on your MB, Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT Run them In Vista.
The Drivers for the x3100 on Vista SUCK beyond measure.

I went from getting 30-40 fps on CS with everything on High at 1240 x (whatever) on XP to getting like 20-36 on Vista, with everything on Low and at 800 x 600.

Get XP or let games suffer horribly.

PcBgone
Mar 13, 2008, 08:09 PM
I know this is a long shot...

But have any of you gotten Black and White to work in Leopard?

thehappysavage
May 18, 2008, 02:22 AM
thinking of buying a new macbook with 4 GB RAM and was wondering if anybody else had luck with the following games:

Medieval 2: TW
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War
CS: Source

I know that people have reported on some of these, but I was hoping someone with one of the new macbooks could tell me how they run since it seems like it's been mixed results with some of the others. I don't need the settings to be really high, as long as the game can get more than 30 fps.

Also, I was planning on running these using vista and bootcamp, but if I have to I could probably run XP, so experience with either would be helpful. Thanks.

sixmac
Jun 12, 2008, 02:27 AM
thinking of buying a new macbook with 4 GB RAM and was wondering if anybody else had luck with the following games:

Medieval 2: TW
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War
CS: Source

I know that people have reported on some of these, but I was hoping someone with one of the new macbooks could tell me how they run since it seems like it's been mixed results with some of the others. I don't need the settings to be really high, as long as the game can get more than 30 fps.

Also, I was planning on running these using vista and bootcamp, but if I have to I could probably run XP, so experience with either would be helpful. Thanks.

i got a standard 2.4 haven't seen the need to upgrade the 2 gigs or ram yet.

i was thinking of giving company of heros a try or at least the demo, i got crossover games for TF2 but maybe bootcamp only :confused:

lately i have been playing civ 4 and it works really well defaults to medium settings haven't had to drop it yet (full screen 1280 X 800) :)

Edit: was playing civ on huge map and max AI's started to chug at about 1500AD but then i got attacked by everyone and wiped out, maybe i should keep it too a small map with less comps :p

soulslayer04
Jun 29, 2008, 02:00 PM
Does anyone have the newest model of the black macbook? and do you guys think it can handle steam games such as team fortress 2 and Half life 2 and Warhammer online?

ncurtis
Jun 30, 2008, 12:01 AM
Also, the reason Im testing on a 512 MB RAM is because there ARE perople out there who cant exactly afford the $500 upgrade

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/

Theres a 4 GB upgrade for less than $500.00, $400.00 less actually

djmoney
Sep 14, 2008, 07:32 PM
how do you get the sims complete to run full screen i do the hold command key it gives me the option to run and in full or window. when full screen is chosen it doesn't change the resolution to fit the game. how do i set the mac to resize automatically or is there a setting in the game its self

bobber205
Sep 14, 2008, 07:41 PM
I've lived in Oregon less time than this thread has been around. xD

The-One-Man
Nov 24, 2008, 04:57 PM
Has anyone tried playing the Sims 2 on the macbook (the white one, not aluminum)???

ReVeda
Jan 6, 2009, 11:49 PM
well at this point I'm sure most have tried Homeworld 2, which until the servers were shut down there are other sites that will host on-line gaming. I've played this game for nine year's on pc and now run it on macbook pro and it looks great and the frame rate is flawless. When I have the time to run it on-line with a few other peeps, whom also use it on mac os with no issues that I'm aware of. my other screen namess are coldspyderSLS and WebLordSLS. Space Lord Syndicate. a site called Logmein.com or go to Relic forms.

ReVeda:cool:

egg88
Feb 1, 2009, 04:11 PM
i have the 2.2ghz macbook with 4gb and so far the games i am able to play are
On crossover games
Half life
Cs 1.6 (fluctuates 30-60, sometimes 15 on large custom maps)
Sven Co-op (10-15 complete madness)
Cs:s (fluctuates 10-60) (DO NOT LOOK DOWN LONG A ON DUST WITH 30+PLAYERS)
Left 4 Dead (10, choppy, half of the things are not rendered, only play if you want a good laugh)
Hl2 (10 fps always, have not figured out why)
OSX
WoW(on lowest settings)
Instances 30-60
PvP( Wsg, AB, SotA, EotS, run 20-30 fine. AV and Wintergrasp in intensive moments drop to 5)
World- standing in the middle of dalaran now getting 7-9 fps

WC3- (default settings) runs great, gets really choppy (10fps) in really intense moments like footman frenzy when everyone rushes middle

On Windows XP (only 2.53 Ram is shown, how to fix pl0x?)
Cs 1.6 runs 30+ all the time
CS:S runs at 10 on lowest settings all the time even looking at the ground i do not know what is going on
Hl2 See CS:S

Left 4 Dead- this gets really weird
Settings(Basic all on lowest, turn your brightness on highest the flashlight makes everything choppy)
-Advanced settings (all off, paged pool memory high, Dual core rendering enabled)
Everything is rendered Menu screen runs perfect opening video etc

now so far i have only been able to run Single player and Lan stuff easily, all online games are 10 fps and unplayable.

How to make single player playable:
if you notice in First person mode you need to turn your flashlight off so you get smooth gameplay, also every time you fire you get a hiccup. This is why first person mode is a no no. enable console and type thirdpersonshoulder (you should see the option when you type third, you do not need sv_cheats 1 enabled for this option)
once thirdpersonshoulder is enabled you should be able to play it at a decent what looks like 15-20 even though the net graph says 10 it plays much smoother and does not hiccup at every shot (except in places example: campaign 5 terminal level, looking all the way down the terminal)

and that is about all i have discovered

egg88
Feb 4, 2009, 07:52 PM
I installed some driver updates from the intel site and i run games on Steam allot better, still a big fluctuation but its from 10-80
Left 4 Dead is almost playable, im running somewhere from 10-20 FPS, running on XP which only registers 2.5 so hopefully if i install vista 64 it will register all 4 GB of ram and will give maybe a 3-5 FPS boost

stryder22
Jun 5, 2009, 05:41 AM
hey friends. im just getting on macfourms for first time. i have mac osx 2GHz 1GB 667 MHz w/ gma 950. im hearing a lot of talk about people getting to play games like CS and BF and stuff with similar hardware. How does all that come togethr? I mean how do you get it to work? Thanks Much
Andrew

If requirement system said GMA isn't supported then can't run it.

You are require to own iMac, MBP or Mac Pro to run this game, not on MacBook or Mac Mini.

None of EA games for Mac that support GMA.

eXan
Jun 5, 2009, 06:43 AM
hey friends. im just getting on macfourms for first time. i have mac osx 2GHz 1GB 667 MHz w/ gma 950. im hearing a lot of talk about people getting to play games like CS and BF and stuff with similar hardware. How does all that come togethr? I mean how do you get it to work? Thanks Much
Andrew

I hear Counter Strike works well in CrosOver. Doesn't work in Bootcamp though

Ol3s
Jun 6, 2009, 06:37 AM
I have a macbook and i play a few games on it:

- Spore (med-high setting, dont remember resolution, game plays very well)
- Diablo II (obviously on highest, theres really not much choice for setting, plays, ehhh, well it playable but sometimes slows down, and macbook heats up)
- Counter-Strike 1.6 (with some mod that gives a lot of blood and the game is in ukrainian, i play on highest settings, and get 30-50 fps) (Used crossover Games)
- C&C RA3 (plays on mid high but works much faster on low, but with a high resolution)
- CoD4 (game in french so i dont really no alot about settings, textures on high and resolution of max, no AA, plays well)
- BF2142 (Plays like ***** online but solo it plays quite well on medium settings)
- Halo (everything good on high)
- Team Fortress 2 (dont remember the setings, were probably high, gameplay and framerate depended on servers some good, some *****) (used Crossover Games)

Heres what i would like to find out, how would these play:

- Sims 3
- CoD 2
- AoE III (and Asian Dynasties)
- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
- Need for Speed: Carbon
- Prince of Persia 4
- Shaun White Snowboarding
- CivIV

For all the above i am wondering about i am talking about the mac version

MinorBidoh
Jun 16, 2009, 11:45 AM
thanks for the BF2 info, tis greatly appreciated.

Both Need for Speed Carbon & Most wanted play very well at medium settings, with res at 1200x something, on my stock 09 mac mini. COD2 plays beautifully at max settings for single player and online. COD4 however plays ok after lowering settings but not quite playable for online (more than 1GB ram would help nicely).

Colin McRae Rally and Star Wars battlefront 1 & 2 both run extremely well, although haven't tried online yet.

I also found a mac version of BF2 in a dark alley of the interweb and that runs very happily.

RiotGaming
Jul 9, 2009, 05:14 AM
Can anyone here confirm BF2 working for Macbook GMA950 please?

HarryGoldfarb
Sep 2, 2009, 10:37 AM
currently i have these games running on my macbook
prossesor - 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
memory - 2 GB
graphics - integrated GMA X3100

guitar hero 3 with xbox controllers working check my vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDka4LejMsw)
Halo 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAzGB5eD2w4)
Need For Speed Carbon (gonna be buying underground to try that in a few days) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFc7s_HZhg
SPORE
Warcraft 3
World of Warcraft Wrath of the Litch King

currently trying out Sims 2 and all the EP's as well i might go pick up like tiger woods 05 to see if that works ill keep you guys posted

sarareid
Sep 3, 2009, 01:56 AM
Hello everyone,
That was god piece of information.I also have been testing this things for few days.I agree with your posted games that you have tasted,
I will write soon about more games that I am testing.

osprey76
Sep 6, 2009, 12:24 PM
Anyone played Civ 4 (Mac or PC) on the MacBooks with the Intel GMA X3100 graphics card? It's not listed specifically on Aspyr's site. Also, does Civ 3 Complete (Mac) work on this MacBook? I have the original Civ 3, but I can't run it. Apple's drivers for the X3100 only support Millions (24-bit) of colors and Civ 3 original requires Thousands (16-bit) of colors.

VimyJoe
Jan 30, 2010, 05:58 PM
i just installed windows XP on my Imac 24" and i installed Medievil 2 Totar War but every time i open the bloody thing is quit because of an "unspecified error" and quits then this shows in an error box -

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
Error in the application.
-2147220906 (VFW_E_NO_AUDIO_HARDWARE)
at Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.Audio.Open(String fileName, Boolean autoRun)
at Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.Audio..ctor(String fileName, Boolean autoRun)
at Launcher.LauncherMainForm.ApplySkins()
at Launcher.LauncherMainForm.LoadSkins()
at Launcher.LauncherMainForm.LoadLauncher()
at Launcher.LauncherMainForm.LauncherMainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Launcher
Assembly Version: 1.0.2669.20298
Win32 Version: 1.0.2669.20298
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/SEGA/Medieval%20II%20Total%20War/Launcher.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
CoreLib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/SEGA/Medieval%20II%20Total%20War/CoreLib.DLL
SkinLib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/SEGA/Medieval%20II%20Total%20War/SkinLib.DLL
AxInterop.SHDocVw
Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/SEGA/Medieval%20II%20Total%20War/AxInterop.SHDocVw.DLL
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/accessibility/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/accessibility.dll
Interop.SHDocVw
Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/SEGA/Medieval%20II%20Total%20War/Interop.SHDocVw.DLL
UpdateLib
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/SEGA/Medieval%20II%20Total%20War/UpdateLib.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll
Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback
Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.directx.audiovideoplayback/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/microsoft.directx.audiovideoplayback.dll
Microsoft.DirectX
Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.directx/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/microsoft.directx.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.[/SIZE]

i dont really know what to do anyone could help id be happy thankyou. I just want to play my favorite game :(

alent1234
Feb 17, 2010, 12:37 PM
do you have the latest drivers installed including the latest DirectX? what about .NET? JIT sounds like a .NET error.

if you go to windows update they have a single update that installs all of the latest versions of every .NET version

alent1234
Feb 17, 2010, 12:41 PM
looking for general opinions on playing games on a Mac. I'm thinking of a new MBP or iMac later this year after Apple refreshes the line with the i5 CPU's. i'm going to be playing all games via Windows and BootCamp. Don't care too much about the latest games but here is a list of the ones i plan to play.

Rome Total War
Medieval Total War 2
Empire Total War
GTA 4
Tropico 2
Civ4

Maybe a few other strategy games

has anyone run these? how is the speed and graphics quality when all settings are maxed out?

Its m00
Feb 19, 2010, 08:50 AM
i'm going to be playing all games via Windows and BootCamp.

You can get a Mac version of Rome: Total War now. It just came out this month. It works (and looks) great on my 24" iMac. It's done by Feral Intereactive (http://www.feralinteractive.com/game/rometw)

alent1234
Feb 20, 2010, 08:40 PM
Steam had a big sale in December and I bought a bunch of games. i lost the CD's of some games and bought them via Steam at cheapo prices. Civ4 with all the add ons, Rome TW Gold, Medieval, C&C Red Alert, Tropico.

Steam is awesome. you buy the game and depending on the publisher's rules you can download it as often as you want on as many computers as you want.