PDA

View Full Version : Sell it to me

puhbare
Feb 26, 2003, 02:15 PM
I've used an Apple II way back when and it seemed ok, I guess. I really don't remember much about it. I've been using PC for over a decade. I want to try something new, but.... Well, there are several reasons not to switch, but only one reason for it. Knowing nothing about the system, I would buy it just to try it out. However, it's a very expensive experiment.
I like to mess around with audio and video. Is the Mac ideal for that? If so which one?
I also love surfing the net. I have ADSL, what periferrals would I need to run that on a Mac?
Are downloads pretty stable?
Is there a Mac OS that I can run under Windows, so I can see how it works?
I'm too hungry to ask any more questions, but please send me links and such to help me decide.

thanks in advance

brownietyme
Mar 11, 2003, 12:49 AM
I've used an Apple II way back when and it seemed ok, I guess. I really don't remember much about it.
oh dear god..forget anything you know about that machine, it wont do you any good now! lol
I've been using PC for over a decade. I want to try something new, but.... Well, there are several reasons not to switch, but only one reason for it. Knowing nothing about the system, I would buy it just to try it out. However, it's a very expensive experiment.
I like to mess around with audio and video. Is the Mac ideal for that?
yep, with iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie & iDVD alone you have the best tools over any Windows PC, it gets even better with applications like Photoshop and Final Cut Express/Pro
If so which one?
any G3 or G4 system should do, but for the absolute best performance, try the new dual G4 PowerMac
I also love surfing the net. I have ADSL, what periferrals would I need to run that on a Mac?
you dont need anything bust your DSL modem and the RJ-45 cable, all Macs come with installed ethernet ports (10/100 or Gigabit) but you will need to have your settings put in before it all works
Are downloads pretty stable?
its a Mac ;-)
Is there a Mac OS that I can run under Windows, so I can see how it works?
eep :-/ NO! lol... you should visit an Apple store nearby and let them know your interested in switching, they may even give you a discount (they gave me one when I told them that)
I'm too hungry to ask any more questions, but please send me links and such to help me decide.
e-mail me for anything else

scem0
Mar 11, 2003, 01:18 AM
If you live near an apple store, go and test a mac. That converts
90% of all people. ;)

MacBandit
Mar 11, 2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by scem0
If you live near an apple store, go and test a mac. That converts
90% of all people. ;)

You must have been one of the %10.;)

physicsnerd
Mar 11, 2003, 02:06 AM
I just bought my 1st mac about a month ago. I've used PCs for a long time, the 1st computer i ever used was my dad's 8088 when i was about 5. I went through from MS-DOS 2 or 3 (can't remember anymore) to Windows 2K on a PIII.

So why did I switch? Because i was sick and tired of dealing with windows. My PIII used to crash once or twice a week under 2K. Windows didn't like me playing a DVD, surfing the web, talking with 4 or 5 people on aim, running apache, running seti@home, and using microsoft office at the same time. My system was always somewhat unstable, no matter how much I fiddled with it. I tried running linux for a while, but couldn't play dvds and got tired of all the hacks i had to do to get everything to work properly.

I was going to upgrade my system to an athlon xp system, and switch to XP. But I was having issues with this: 1st they're really loud unless you spend lots of cash on silent fans, 2nd they consume a lot of power, 3rd I don't like windows (this one could be a book size rant, if you want to hear more about why send me a private message).

So i got a really good deal on a new power book and i figured what the heck, if i don't like i can always sell it. Well, I love OS X and i'm not switching back. My windows box is now sitting in a corner waiting to be turned into a linux server. Why do I love it so much?

1) OS X is really easy to use, apple desgined a very nice looking, easy to understand GUI. 2) Installing programs is a easy and fast. All you do is mount an image on the desktop and drag it to the applications folder. To uninstall drag it from the applications folder to the trash. 3) Printer support is a snap with the built in CUPS system. All I did was turn on CUPS, select my printer and it worked flawlessly. It used to take me 30 minutes to set up my printer under windows. 4) Stability, I've never had OS X crash or become unstable. I've tried to crash it, I haven't been able to. I even opened every program on the computer at once, it had no problem with it except ran a little slow. 5) There is not one thing i did on windows that i can't do on my mac. 6) it networks perfectly with all the windows boxes on my network.

As for the ADSL, i'm on an ADSL line right now and i had no trouble putting on the mac on it. I just plugged it into the router, set the IP and DNS numbers and i was online.

physicsnerd

scem0
Mar 12, 2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
You must have been one of the %10.;)

Well, I have never been to an apple store (I actually leave today
to visit one for the first time - there is a thread about it in
community discussion), but the reason I switched to a PC was
just because of money reasons. You can't get anything but a
crap Mac for $700. I still love macs, and plan to buy the updated
PPC 970 powermac - the one after the original one comes out.

MacBandit
Mar 12, 2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by scem0
Well, I have never been to an apple store (I actually leave today
to visit one for the first time - there is a thread about it in
community discussion), but the reason I switched to a PC was
just because of money reasons. You can't get anything but a
crap Mac for $700. I still love macs, and plan to buy the updated
PPC 970 powermac - the one after the original one comes out.

Yes, but it is a Mac all the same. Or you could have just saved the money and had another $700 to spend on your mac when the time came.

alset
Mar 12, 2003, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't have bought a PC - I'd spend a couple hundred more and made space for an iBook. Mine suprises me all the time when I am running apps, games, or otherwise putting it to the test.

Dan

scem0
Mar 15, 2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Yes, but it is a Mac all the same. Or you could have just saved the money and had another $700 to spend on your mac when the time came.

I would have been stuck with a 333 MHz classic iMac though...

:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D