Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leprechaunG4

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2003
Welp,

My 12" PB came in the mail today. This is my first MAC since the IIgs of my very young years. I picked this baby up because I was looking for a laptop anyways and OSX looked pretty impressive to me. I have a little Unix experience via Linux, and really like the stability. I couldn't get along with older MACs that were promptless. I need a command prompt in my life. I know I'm wierd, but I gotta see a commond prompt once a day or I feel disconnected from my machine, hehe.

So far I am VERY impressed with this machine. It's beautiful! PCs donn't often focus on beauty, but this thing, wowza! Everything matches so nice and is so smooth. It's great. I don't have any of the glitches I've been reading about on here. My mouse button clicks perfect. It is aligned dead on the money, and doesn't stick. Closing my lid induces sleep mode as it should. There is no screen warping. The display is bright and gorgeous(sp?). I'm loving the terminal, but I'm loving the apps to. The iLife stuff is really cool. You don't get that kind of goodness out of the box from a PC. I have downloaded X11 and installed it on my machine so that I can run some other Unix . X11 also gives me another nice command prompt. I'm oh so happy. This thing is a beast too! I'm burning a DVD right now while I surf around and type this. Speaking of typing, this keyboard is great. I thought the 12" size might feel a little tight on the hands. Not at all. The keyboad is perfectly spaced and arranged. I like typing on this more than my PCs full size keyboard. I'll keep you guys up to date as I play with more stuff, especially for any other PC goers out there contemplating a switch.

Oh yeah and I'm a Computer Networking major, so this MAC is impressing a pretty hardcore PC geek that not long ago would rant about the ills of Apple. Now I find myself in my Network Operating Systems course defending the MAC! I'm trying to convince my Professor we should study OSX Server, hehe.

I'd also like to thank some of the people here who have been really helpfull. Backtothemac especially, who I'll be hitting up soon about purchasing some accessories for this baby.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i'm so jealous of you and your powerbook, i just saw one real for the first time the other day and i agree about the keyboard...best one i've ever typed with. i'm glad your loving the computer..i know i would. have fun !!

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Just one other thing...if you're going to become a Mac user then you should probably know that the whole word isn't capitalized...it's Mac, not MAC. I'm not trying to be rude or picky or anything...but you may as well know, if you don't already by now.

--Fred

leprechaunG4

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2003
Haha, sorry bout that. I sure am a newbie to the Mac world. Hehehe, did it right that time. God its been forever since I've called myself a newbie in relation to a computer! Atleast I have you guys to help me along.

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
Canberra, Australia
My girlfriend's had her 12" PowerBook for a few weeks now, and I have to agree, the thing is fast, sexy, and has one of the nicest keyboards I've ever used.
Her trackpad button sticks occasionally, but not enough to really be a problem - this has seemed to lessen over time as well.
I've had a 17" on order since the 8th of Jan, and I'm really getting fed up with waiting week after week for it - every day I have to stop myself from calling up my dealer, cancelling the order, and just getting a 12" and an LCD monitor instead.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Welcome to the "light" side, leprechaun'. :D

I'm a fairly recent switcher as well, and it's a fun experience. OS X is one of the main things that sold me, and I've been loving every minute of it. It's gotten me into Apache/MySQL/PHP and directions I never thought I'd go...very exciting!

leprechaunG4

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2003
Update Time

Well, I've been using this baby for a day and half now, hehe, time to update the report. Basic conclusion: still in love. Still none of those reported glitches. The mouse is till perfect, the screen still gets sleep perfect.

This baby has traveled with me all day. It went to work with me this morning, then to both of my classes. It's been very usefull. Nice replacement to hand writing notes, hehe, ok I'm obsessed. I downloaded an electronic copy of Platos Republic so I can sit there and take notes in Philosophy class with the text open right next to it. Makes quoting easy.

Classes gave me a chance to test the battery life. Philosophy was just an hour fifteen minutes class, so it wasn't a test. Macroeconomics on the other hand was a nice long three hour class. I walked into class with 100% battery and walked out with 63%. Not too shaby I'd say. OF course she went into sleep mode once or twice when I got lazy and didn't feel like taking notes. Three hours is a long class gimme a break, lol.

In the inbetween time I started playing with the Unix. The OSX srtucture is not quite the same as any Linux distros I've used, so I wasn't able to just install apps from a tar file. Looks like I'll either need to get ported apps. Or maybe if I get source code I'll be able to recompile. That's somehting I'll have to look into more later. I got sick of typing sudo before super user commands, so I found the command line to turn on the super user and activated it. I advise this to anny other Linux guys who want to be able to ahve access to all the usuall directories and commands. A lot of the directories are made private by OSX. For the users own protection of course.

Well I have to get back to playing now.

cionheart

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Germany
Re: Update Time

Originally posted by leprechaunG4
In the inbetween time I started playing with the Unix. The OSX srtucture is not quite the same as any Linux distros I've used, so I wasn't able to just install apps from a tar file. Looks like I'll either need to get ported apps. Or maybe if I get source code I'll be able to recompile. That's somehting I'll have to look into more later.

You may have a look at Fink:

http://fink.sourceforge.net

-- cionheart

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Congrats, glad you like it and welcome to the club. Have you thought of using it as a tape recorder for your classes? Save you from typing anyways have fun.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: PC guys opinion on 12er

Originally posted by leprechaunG4
Closing my lid induces sleep mode as it should. There is no screen warping.

-leprechaunG4

Welcome to the ether of the enightened my friend.

Your comments here have inspired me to write a thread about caring for your new 12PB - thought you'd like to know :D

Curious: What the specs of your machine?

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
I've been using my 12" pBook for about a month...and have not had one problem with it. No mouse button problems or warped screen problems... I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.