PDA

View Full Version : How many?

pcuserx
Feb 26, 2003, 08:52 PM
How many of you actually use an iBook as your only/main computer? Not just as a secondary system or portable.

howard
Feb 26, 2003, 09:02 PM
i do!

yzedf
Feb 26, 2003, 09:16 PM
my girlfriend does.

sold the g4 imac on ebay to buy the ibook even!

t^3
Feb 26, 2003, 09:31 PM
I've been using my iBook as my main computer since I bought it (Dec 2001). It's been very reliable, up until last week when the backlight went out. I'm using an external monitor right now until I get a new inverter board, which I've narrowed the problem down to - hopefully, it's not the motherboard! If you are a potential iBook buyer who plans to use it as a main computer, I'd recommend at least getting a mouse if not a keyboard too, since the trackpad can sometimes be a hassle, and the surface eventually wears out, leaving a shiny surface which I've heard about.

icetraxxg5
Feb 26, 2003, 09:31 PM
I'm guilty.

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Feb 26, 2003, 09:36 PM
I did for about a year....that's when I got my PowerMac

Anne
Feb 26, 2003, 09:57 PM
my ibook is now my one and only baby. (shhh, don't tell the g3 imac sitting nearby. she hasn't been turned on in ages, but I can't bear to put her in storage)

RBMaraman
Feb 26, 2003, 10:14 PM
I do. In fact, it's my only computer. I take it to class with me everyday. I got this iBook in August of 2001, and I don't plan on buying a new machine until May of 2005 when I graduate from college.

pcuserx
Feb 27, 2003, 08:03 PM
Thanks. And which model are you guys using, the 12" or the 14"?

t^3
Feb 27, 2003, 08:07 PM
I'm using the 12". The resolution is a bit high for its size, so if your eyes aren't that good, I'd recommend getting the 14", but the 14" model just doesn't look as good IMHO.

Jaykay
Feb 27, 2003, 08:15 PM
my sister uses the 12"

RBMaraman
Feb 27, 2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by pcuserx
Thanks. And which model are you guys using, the 12" or the 14"?

I'm using the 12".

pcuserx
Feb 27, 2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by t^3
I'm using the 12". The resolution is a bit high for its size, so if your eyes aren't that good, I'd recommend getting the 14", but the 14" model just doesn't look as good IMHO.

Thanks again. Just a few last questions:

The size doesn't bother you at all?

Do you think that a G3 will be able to handle the next OS or future programs?

Would you rather have a emac right now?

Kwyjibo
Feb 27, 2003, 09:00 PM
"looks around then looks down shamefully" I use my 12in iBook as my main comp althought it is hooked up to a 17in CRT keyboard and mouse when I feel like it. I love the machine and theres something abotu surfing while laying down or sitting or anywhere that I simpyl cannot get enough of. You can even surf from the can if you want, personally I don't but I know others who love their laptop/ibook for this reason.

t^3
Feb 27, 2003, 09:50 PM
The size doesn't bother you at all?
I really think it's a matter of personal taste. I bought the 12" thinking that I'd be carrying it around a lot at college, but now that I am in college, it really just sits on my desk most of the time, and I wouldn't mind paying for a bigger screen. The 12" screen is small, but incredibly clear; you have to check it out if you haven't already.

Do you think that a G3 will be able to handle the next OS or future programs?
Depends on how far you're looking into the future, and what programs you use. If you intend on keeping it for several years, I really think you need a G4 to keep up to date, since future upgrades to OS X will not be optimized for the G3 anymore. Note that I said optimized; OS X support for the G3 will stay around for a while, but as some applications get more graphics intensive, a G4 will be needed. A couple of games already require a G4 (Soldier of Fortune II, NASCAR 2002). The G3 is a 6 year old processor, but it is good enough for basic use, ie Internet and word processing. If you plan on heavy video/graphics/gaming use, definitely don't buy anything with a G3.

Would you rather have a emac right now?
Definitely not! Once you go LCD, you can't go back! The only downside about LCD's however, is that the quality isn't that good in non-native resolutions. If I had to choose a desktop, I'd go with the top of the line iMac, but I would really rather have the new 15" PowerBook when it comes out.

Hope all this is useful to you!

Maclicious
Feb 27, 2003, 10:11 PM
I've been using a 12 inch iBook every day to write text almost 8 hours a day.

Because I often have to have several documents open simultaneously, and because I have to have classic open to run Microsoft Outlook, and because I like to listen to iTunes while I work, things can sometimes be a little slow (plus, these documents can be 2-300 pages long each).

And, after about a year of this, I've decided I really need a faster machine with a bigger moniter, ideally one that allows me to desktops (iBook can only mirror) so I can really spread those documents out.

If you're going to be text intensive, I think you need a bigger screen than the 12 inch. If not, 12 inch will probably be great for you.

I certainly like the great mobility of this little guy. It'll be weird to be lugging around the bigger AluBook (if I ever get it).