Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
1) How come I don't see any Aero effects like the transparent "glass" effects and whatnot? My system is pretty nice, and the install is completely legit.

2) I have a wireless NIC that isn't recognized by Vista, but works fine in XP. I have the XP drivers if I can use them at all. I realize that Vista does not support too much software at this point, but is there any chance of me getting this wireless card to work? Not much point in me using Vista if I cannot connect to the internet.. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

P.S. I realize this is MacRumors, but I don't really belong to any great PC sites and I know some of you have experience with Windows and are trying out Vista for yourselves as well, so help me out if you can! :)

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
What the hell? Suddenly, out of the blue, Windows decides that it sees the "new" device, an 802.11b wireless network controller. :eek: You don't say!?

Anyways, I guess I just have the one question about Aero for now. :)

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
According to Microsoft, the next version of Windows requires 128MB of video memory in order for the up-level Aero Glass features to take effect.

Do you have that much?

MGLXP

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
someguy said:
1) How come I don't see any Aero effects like the transparent "glass" effects and whatnot? My system is pretty nice, and the install is completely legit.

2) I have a wireless NIC that isn't recognized by Vista, but works fine in XP. I have the XP drivers if I can use them at all. I realize that Vista does not support too much software at this point, but is there any chance of me getting this wireless card to work? Not much point in me using Vista if I cannot connect to the internet.. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

P.S. I realize this is MacRumors, but I don't really belong to any great PC sites and I know some of you have experience with Windows and are trying out Vista for yourselves as well, so help me out if you can! :)

What video card do you have in your system? To run Aero Glass effects, you need a video card that supports DirectX 9 Pixel Shader 2.0 effects (for example ATI Radeon 9800).

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
jayb2000 said:
According to Microsoft, the next version of Windows requires 128MB of video memory in order for the up-level Aero Glass features to take effect.

Do you have that much?
I have a 128MB geForce 4 Ti4600.

MGLXP said:
To run Aero Glass effects, you need a video card that supports DirectX 9 Pixel Shader 2.0 effects (for example ATI Radeon 9800).
I have no idea.

MGLXP

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
someguy said:
I have a 128MB geForce 4 Ti4600.

I have no idea.

The nVidia GeForce 4 Ti4600 (while a very good card at the time) does not support DirectX 9 Pixel Shader 2.0. That is why you cannot run the Aero Glass effects.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Yeah, I know it's not the best card in the world, but I figured it'd be enough for Windows' effects. I guess I still underestimate the resource-hogging power of Microsoft software. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.