Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
i was wondering if there are any pro designers out there that actually use this. i've been using a 19" CRT for the past few years, and i want to know if this would be a significant downgrade in screen size.

almost everyone i know with a mac say go for a 3rd party CRT or LCD but i wanna know my options.

erova

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
washington dc
actually i had the same question and i was skeptical of using a 17 inch flat panel coming from using a 19" samsung crt about three weeks ago...

let me tell you that the 17" lcd blows away the 19"...i would whole-heartedly recommend dropping the cash for it...

i was extremely surprised to not miss those implied two inches of real-estate...i love working with the 17 inch flat on my video and photoshop projects moreso than i ever did on my 19....

plus i bought a demo model from mac world san francisco on smalldog.com for only 820...

skel_73

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
Toronto
I went from a 19" CRT to the Apple 17" studio display TFT LCD and am very happy.

There is actually only a 1" difference on the circumference (CRTs advertise more than is shown).

That works out to .25" per edge smaller viewable.

The screen resolution stayed at my previous one (1280x1024) so there was no difference in work area.

But I now have more physical deskspace and and image is crisp, clear and easy on they eyes.

(I bought a second video card and still have my CRT as a second monitor for colour reference or for extra space.)

mrich75

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2001
17 studio display

i have the 17'' studio display and let me tell you this thing rocks!!!

it has the same veiwable size as a 20'' crt so this thing is huge:)

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
wow! not the answers i'd expect. thanks for the advice, i'll have to look into that monitor more. yes, desk space for me is limited :)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I'm one of the ones who will be waiting for Apple to come out with something like a 19" LCD, which will probably turn out to be about the same price as the 17" LCD is now... just a thought. :)

skel_73

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
Toronto
I wouldn't hold my breadth -- people have been speculating on that for a year and a half -- but given the native resolution of the 17" I don't see Apple offering a 19" (though it would be cool)

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
if the cinema display goes down another $500 i will shell out for it

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
ok, you're talking displays...

so i'll give this another try in this thread:

anyone but me heard the rumor of Apple possibly giving the Titanium a 15,2" 1600x1200 display?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I have one

Im no pro designer but I have the Apple 17 LCD. I love it! All that come by my house love it too. My Windows user friends have been heard to say "I wish Apple made stuff for PC's"

Never had any problems with it and would recomend it to anyone.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Well, there is not much left for me to say with everyone that has already posted but I still want to have my $0.02 and say I LOVE my 17" Apple LCD. I am not the most pro person you will find but I use all those programs like Photoshop and blah blah blah every day and this baby works like a charm, esp. with 1280x1024 resolution and a viewable size that kicks any CRT in the size vicinity.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
While I don't have the Apple 17" LCD, I do have one from ViewSonic that is 17.4" (I know, less then 1/2" larger). I went with the ViewSonic for two reasons. One, I have always had EXCELLENT results from their monitors, and the same with their support people. Two, the cost. I got the ViewSonic for under $900. I have seen Apple's LCD displays, and have to admit they are very nice. BUT, when I compared the two side by side, the actual screen on the ViewSonic was nicer. ViewSonics work great in any light AND they use standard connections (allows more people to use them).

If you don't have an ADC equiped G4, then I would lean towards the ViewSonic. Especially since they cost less $$. The ViewSonic model that I did pick up (VG175) has two video inputs, allowing you to connect two systems to it and toggle between the two.

Just something to consider/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.