Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
Original poster
I've recently put my powerbook Ti 550 on ebay so I can get some money for a new one. Unfortunately, the day after I posted the Ti on ebay I droped a remote on the screen case and put a small dimple in it. Does anyone know of a way I can get this out? Alternately, does anoyne have a web site link that shows how to remove the screen casing so I can possibly pop the dimple out?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Removing the screen casing is a huge pain in the arse. I believe it's glued together. You'd probably destroy the LCD if you tried to take it apart. Although I could be wrong.

I know that to remove small dents and dings, auto body shops put suction devices over them and "suck" them out. Don't know what I would use on a TiBook, though.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You risk doing further damage to the casing or the surrounding paint if you try to fix it. Don't worry, it's only a dimple, lots of TiBooks have them. At least you don't have mine where practically all the paint on the edge of the palm rests is worn off...

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
Dude I got your fix, on tv their is this commercial for the Pops-A-Dent, Ding King, or the dent wizard, dent removal kit. They also sell it at wallmart. My car recieved a rather large dent from a baseball about 6 months ago and I bought one of these kits, it worked like a champ.

I bet you an old mac adb mouse that it would pop the dent right out, Might want to test it in an inconspicuous place first sense the process involves hot glue. But if it didnt pull the paint off my P.O.S Kia then I highley doubt it will pull the paint of a tibook.

It worked great for me and was well worth the twenty bucks, just to have around (also fixed a dent in a rental car that would have cost at
least $500.00 at a body shop).

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I also have a Ti550 and the paint is bubbling up and coming off, does anyone know if I can get the paint the Ti550 is painted with or if I take it back to Apple, will they change the case for free under warranty.

BigJayhawk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New Jersey
TiPaint is a JOKE!!!

TiPaint is a JOKE!

They send you two TINY (read --> virtually non-existent) "vials" of paint and a couple of TOOTHPICKS for application.

The documentation is a photocopied sheet of paper that spends more time justifying the "Special Applicator" that they talk up in the ads as being TOOTHPICKS!

Please, you would have to pry my TiBook 800 from my hands upon DEATH (until I get my next Mac laptop) but, let's face it, Apple screwed the pooch on the paint for this beautiful machine. Considering the old black plastic cases scratched (they just were less visible), I'm hoping the <non-painted> Aluminumum cases will be the first to avoid these blemished cases.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: TiPaint is a JOKE!!!

Originally posted by BigJayhawk
TiPaint is a JOKE!

They send you two TINY (read --> virtually non-existent) "vials" of paint and a couple of TOOTHPICKS for application.

The documentation is a photocopied sheet of paper that spends more time justifying the "Special Applicator" that they talk up in the ads as being TOOTHPICKS!

Please, you would have to pry my TiBook 800 from my hands upon DEATH (until I get my next Mac laptop) but, let's face it, Apple screwed the pooch on the paint for this beautiful machine. Considering the old black plastic cases scratched (they just were less visible), I'm hoping the <non-painted> Aluminumum cases will be the first to avoid these blemished cases.
i really think they have fixed the problem. ive treated my powerbook unlike i would ever treat a ti book. the tibook feels fragile and just feels like you gotta put it in a shelf behind glass for looks. the new powerbooks just have that sturdy feel, and the metal is great. it takes alot to scratch that aibook, considering the way i treat it and how it is still in perfect condition. only problem is fingerprints, which can easily be rubbed or washed off with some windex or something.

iJon

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i really doubt that dent-popper from walmart will work. that was my first thought too, but this dent has got to be far too small for it. and if you turned the knob enough, you'd probably warp the metal casing of the screen--

you could fill it with some sort of putty and paint over it, or leave it alone. if i were you, i'd hurry up and edit my ebay auction to reflect the ding--

pnw

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I'm not sure about a dimple, but I'd suggest looking up a local computer repair shop, or a welder/metalurgist. They can take it apart, heat up the metal, and smooth out the dimple.

I just found a rather large bump on the back of my case along the side, and am planing to heat up the case (either from use, or with external force) and then smoothe out the "Ripple". I even found the culprit of my dammage, the Left Earbud from my iEar.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.