PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Music Store: Made in iTunes Section

MacRumors
Jun 20, 2006, 02:08 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

A new section on the iTunes Music Store home page, with a heading of "Made in iTunes," has appeared in the stores for some countries.

It appears that Apple is adding them country by country. As of the start of Tuesday June 20 (midnight Pacific time), 11 of the 21 stores showed the new section in the bottom right corner of the home page. So far, the section is empty in all stores, with only its heading showing.

The section title is "Fatto da iTunes" for Italy, "Hecho en iTunes" for Spain, and "Made in iTunes" (English) for all other stores.

Countries with the new section as of the time of this posting: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

Countries without a Made in iTunes section: Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Luxembourg, UK, and USA.

Doctor Q
Jun 20, 2006, 02:09 AM
The graphic:

pknz
Jun 20, 2006, 02:10 AM
How does one make music or other media in iTunes?

Phobophobia
Hahaha. Say goodbye to the record labels.

EricNau
What does it mean? :confused:

Are we going to get to buy music from ammeters? Oh goodie! :rolleyes:

dbw784
Jun 20, 2006, 02:20 AM
it means apple's going to get sued again! settlement with apple corps specifically prohibits entry into music biz. court found itunes in compliance, since it is merely a retailer. once apple starts signing/distributing/marketing their own musicians, the apple corps will pounce again. let's hope they know what they're doing.

Phobophobia
Jun 20, 2006, 02:26 AM
it means apple's going to get sued again! settlement with apple corps specifically prohibits entry into music biz. court found itunes in compliance, since it is merely a retailer. once apple starts signing/distributing/marketing their own musicians, the apple corps will pounce again. let's hope they know what they're doing.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm wondering about, too. Steve may have used his magic to negotiate, however... :)

Bad Beaver
Jun 20, 2006, 02:29 AM
Maybe it is just a joke to annoy Apple Corps...:cool:

sluthy
Jun 20, 2006, 02:34 AM
Could be related to playlists/iMixes instead of actual songs. Or simply a typo/misinterpretation. I doubt Apple would put a synthesiser/mixer/studio into iTunes :)

zack123
Jun 20, 2006, 02:41 AM
Hey it's Tuesday...
Itunes 7 and new Ipods today:D

Staffroomer
Jun 20, 2006, 02:45 AM
It's probably going to be some kind of way for unsigned bands to post their music free. This wouldn't make Apple open to any litigation... If they charged musicians, they would act as a label. This they could get sued for. Free with no contracts? That's not a music label.. No case.. :rolleyes:

They can't get sued for podcasts, can they?

richardthomas78
Jun 20, 2006, 02:47 AM
Here in the UK, bands perform at the London Apple Store and the recordings are sold in the iTunes Live from London (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewCustomPage?name=pageLiveFromLondon) section. Perhaps it has something to do with that?

Makosuke
Jun 20, 2006, 03:27 AM
Not in the US store for me anyway, but how long has that "Free Downloads" box been hiding down in the lower left? I'm of course aware of the Free Single of the Week, but it also includes a "Discovery Download" -- is this really old news that I just missed, or something new?

As for the "Made in iTunes", if it's a way for free music distribution by garage bands, then today will mark the begining of the end for the stranglehold huge record labels have on music distribution. They'll always be around as marketing machines die hard, but the first step was the relative ease with which an indie band can get on iTunes through 3rd party services, and the 2nd step would be uber-easy access for the up-and-coming.

At that point, if iTMS popularity continues to grow at the current rate, there won't be much need to sign with a major label in a few years. Nobody bands will have a forum to get started, those good enough who want funding will get just as much exposure with a little label as a big one, and those who go indie will be able to stand next to the big guys.

I don't think it's good for the iTMS to be too powerful, but really its going to take one equal opportunity "everybody knows it" service to get things rolling. That, and watching Apple kick around the RIAA labels is ever so sweet.

nagromme
Jun 20, 2006, 03:49 AM
FYI, I believe indie artists can already bypass the conventional labels and get onto iTunes, via services like RainDog and CDBaby.

Chaszmyr
Jun 20, 2006, 04:09 AM
Hey it's Tuesday...
Itunes 7 and new Ipods today:D

iTunes 7, no iPods... thats my guess!

conradzoo
Jun 20, 2006, 04:20 AM
iTunes 7, no iPods... thats my guess!

Would it make sense to alter this version and then release the next (as a download)? Nah.

fenixx
Jun 20, 2006, 04:21 AM
and new Ipods today:D

i wish.
at least something new today...

J-Squire
Jun 20, 2006, 04:33 AM
When Apple announced the iPod nano/Nike+ kit, wasn't there a mention on the site about iTunes 6.0.3 being available for download soon?

Has this been released yet? Perhaps this could be part of that update.

EDIT: Just checked the Nike + iPod site (http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/sync.html) and confirmed that is states that it requires iTunes 6.0.5 (not 6.0.3 like I thought) which is said to be available soon

Detlev
Jun 20, 2006, 06:00 AM
Seeing the i-Mixes are getting too burdensome to find anything this may be a new user sharing system.

ezekielrage_99
Jun 20, 2006, 06:11 AM
Ok so what does this all mean to the average iTunes consumer???

I'm a little confused :confused:

Macnoviz
Jun 20, 2006, 06:50 AM
I think we'll have to wait and see, but what strikes me most is the wording: it's not made FOR iTunes, but IN iTunes, so the most logical meaning, bands releasing iTunes-only albums might not be it. Also strange to add a blank tab in iTunes, with no reason at all.
I'll be watching this closely

On the bright side: finally something in Belgium you don't have in the US/UK or any other video buying country.
Maybe that's got something to do with it

Any connection between those two? video on made in iTunes?

thejadedmonkey
Jun 20, 2006, 06:55 AM
This makes no sense what so ever, unless iTunes suddenly gets a way to compose music:confused:

redAPPLE
Jun 20, 2006, 07:14 AM

unless they are demo songs or give-aways, no?

isn't it great that the mac community gets all excited just because of 3 words?

when was the last time this happened in the pc world?

Macnoviz
Jun 20, 2006, 07:29 AM
isn't it great that the mac community gets all excited just because of 3 words?

Introduction of Windows 98: "PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM"
(ah, BSOD's in public are so great, especially on Windows events)

baleensavage
Jun 20, 2006, 07:30 AM
Ultra Portable Computer (Oragami)
So I guess that's 4 words, but look how that one turned out. :rolleyes:

miketcool
Jun 20, 2006, 07:41 AM
Lets check this.

Why would Apple put something in their iTunes Music Store that would directly threaten major labels? If you scare them, they'll leave and take those 4-5 million songs of theirs.

I agree that it is probably a new way to discover/share music legally.

Remember, Jobs is courting the record labels, not putting them in a full nelson and conducting a godly orchestra. Baby steps, baby steps.

JamesPsyKocsis
Jun 20, 2006, 07:53 AM
It no longer shows up in the US store.

J-Squire
Jun 20, 2006, 07:55 AM
It no longer shows up in the US store.

I don't believe it has yet to show up on the US store at all. This is perhaps the strangest thing of all.

mambodancer
Jun 20, 2006, 08:04 AM
I always thought it would be nice if Apple added a link to Garageband created songs and Albums-the ultimate indies if you will. It's the thing that's been missing from iTunes. A way for the literal garage bands to publish and get there music out there. Maybe Apple will start "Songcasting" or "Musiccasting"?;)

darh
Jun 20, 2006, 08:09 AM
I always thought it would be nice if Apple added a link to Garageband created songs and Albums-the ultimate indies if you will. It's the thing that's been missing from iTunes. A way for the literal garage bands to publish and get there music out there. Maybe Apple will start "Songcasting" or "Musiccasting"?;)

but then it isn't created in iTunes...

Macnoviz
Jun 20, 2006, 08:10 AM

That's a good theory, better than the Apple Music Label, although it's not that well worded. probably some slip-up for a feature that was due today, but not yet finished and thus postponed. That slip up would also explain why it's not on the larger stores, which are probably better maintained.

bokdol
Jun 20, 2006, 08:35 AM
Not in the US store for me anyway, but how long has that "Free Downloads" box been hiding down in the lower left? I'm of course aware of the Free Single of the Week, but it also includes a "Discovery Download" -- is this really old news that I just missed, or something new?

it's really old news

jMc
Jun 20, 2006, 08:40 AM
The oddest thing about this 'slip-up', is that it hasn't yet been rectified... Either someone at Apple is seriously dozy or it really isn't that big a deal.

jx

Porchland
Jun 20, 2006, 08:41 AM

Sounds more like something for the iLife refresh at Macworld in January.

adamcz
Jun 20, 2006, 09:31 AM
FYI, I believe indie artists can already bypass the conventional labels and get onto iTunes, via services like RainDog and CDBaby.Yeah, I've got my album on the iTunes store through CDBaby, who keeps 9% of the money. Seems like a pretty fair deal to me, but if Apple wants to give me a bigger cut by moving CDBaby out of the picture, I'm ok with that too.

The Bazilfunk
Jun 20, 2006, 09:36 AM
The guys from the wab (http://www.wackattackbarrack.be/) say this could be a tool to make compilations within iTunes or even better a compilation generator that makes albums based on your library content.

Peace
Jun 20, 2006, 09:40 AM
I've noticed that the "Made In iTunes" label is only on in the countries that don't have a "Top Videos" section below the "Top Albums"..

iMovies ?

cyclonus5150
Jun 20, 2006, 09:51 AM
I suspect it has more to do with iTunes being used by radio stations, lables, etc. to easily build a web-based iTunes storefront using some sort of iTunes development tool. Just a thought.

razzmatazz
Jun 20, 2006, 09:54 AM
Or it could be that Steve Jobs has declared a country his calling it iTunes and all all the singers have moved there. So when they make a album it says Made In iTunes on the album.

Just a thought :D

Orlando Furioso
Jun 20, 2006, 09:55 AM
Perhaps this is the next step "Just for you" Beta will take. Customized mix albums generated by iTunes based on data from previous purchases, highest ranked songs, and most played songs. Who knows.

Chaszmyr
Jun 20, 2006, 10:00 AM
Would it make sense to alter this version and then release the next (as a download)? Nah.

I was half joking, it would be cool if it was indicative of iTunes 7, but that would imply something like Garageband built into iTunes and I really don't think that's going to happen. Still, the iTunes Music Store content isn't a part of the iTunes software... Your comment is just like saying "Would it make sense for Apple to release a new version of Safari after making a tweak to Apple.com? Nah."

JonHimself
Jun 20, 2006, 10:10 AM
Perhaps this is the next step "Just for you" Beta will take. Customized mix albums generated by iTunes based on data from previous purchases, highest ranked songs, and most played songs. Who knows.

This sounds the most reasonable to me from what I've read. When I think of the 'Made with iTunes' I just think along the lines of made with iMovie iWeb etc except with just making compilations or best-ofs or whatever. Though the idea about selling live performances from the Apple store that someone suggested is good too (but that would have to be through a record label still AND wouldn't be made in iTunes either).

shawnce
Jun 20, 2006, 10:37 AM
it means apple's going to get sued again! settlement with apple corps specifically prohibits entry into music biz.

No it prohibits Apple using the Apple Logo in conjunction with record company like activities (i.e. production of music).

Decipherer
Jun 20, 2006, 10:37 AM
The new section has disappeared from the Italian iTMS.

ChrisA
Jun 20, 2006, 10:50 AM

No, Thr new lable will be called "iTunes" and not use tha Apple logo". As long as they leave the Apple name and logo out of it they will be fine.

MarcelV
Jun 20, 2006, 10:57 AM
No, Thr new lable will be called "iTunes" and not use tha Apple logo". As long as they leave the Apple name and logo out of it they will be fine.

That's your assumption based on the latest lawsuit. The first lawsuit, however, prohibits Apple to become a record label in very direct and clear language.

iMeowbot
Jun 20, 2006, 11:05 AM
That box really looks like a forgotten bit of nothing, "made in iTunes" something like "lorem ipsum".

mduser63
Jun 20, 2006, 11:08 AM
The new section has disappeared from the Italian iTMS.

It seems to have disappeared from all of them now...

pdpfilms
Jun 20, 2006, 11:09 AM
That's your assumption based on the latest lawsuit. The first lawsuit, however, prohibits Apple to become a record label in very direct and clear language.
Exactly... which is why the new label would not be Apple, but iTunes. The label would have nothing more to do with Apple than the fact that the name iTunes is affiliated with Apple.

Cobrien
Jun 20, 2006, 11:28 AM
Could this be a way to get songs onto iTunes from an iMix which dont appear on the iTunes music store. Dissapointing to see that it is being taken out of some stores.

Doctor Q
Jun 20, 2006, 11:33 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif

[Update] Apple has removed the Made in iTunes section from the iTunes Music Store for all countries, leaving no visible evidence of the unexplained additions last night.

Macnoviz
Jun 20, 2006, 11:36 AM
It seems to have disappeared from all of them now...

yep, Belgium, too

Definitly a slip up

Any events planned in the near future?

Bonte
Jun 20, 2006, 11:36 AM
jup, just lost it in the Belgium store.

milo
Jun 20, 2006, 11:42 AM
FYI, I believe indie artists can already bypass the conventional labels and get onto iTunes, via services like RainDog and CDBaby.

What is raindog? A google search didn't run up anything music related.

thogs_cave
Jun 20, 2006, 11:51 AM
Or it could be that Steve Jobs has declared a country his calling it iTunes and all all the singers have moved there. So when they make a album it says Made In iTunes on the album. Just a thought :D

Hey, truth is stranger than fiction. I have a friend who grew up in USA city in Japan. Specifically founded to put "Made in USA" on stuff. Kid you not. :cool:

corywoolf
Jun 20, 2006, 12:08 PM
I can't believe no one thought of this (or at least posted it).

"Made in iTunes" refers to a list of artists, who's musical success was caused by the iTMS. Basically, any artist who was not very big when they put their music collection on iTMS, but then grew a following through iTMS and is now very popular. Jobs made a reference to how many artists have found their target audience and success through iTunes Music Store not too long ago. Many of these artists were free downloads at one point.

Kingsly
Jun 20, 2006, 12:09 PM
If Apple got into the record biz I would be extremely happy.

conradzoo
Jun 20, 2006, 12:14 PM
I was half joking, it would be cool if it was indicative of iTunes 7, but that would imply something like Garageband built into iTunes and I really don't think that's going to happen. Still, the iTunes Music Store content isn't a part of the iTunes software... Your comment is just like saying "Would it make sense for Apple to release a new version of Safari after making a tweak to Apple.com? Nah."

You're right. I wasn't thinking.

musiclover137
Jun 20, 2006, 12:18 PM
a few days ago...."bill gates retires" ;)

hyperpasta
Jun 20, 2006, 12:33 PM
First of all, please remember that the when the Music Store is updated for a new version of iTunes, older versions see the features too, but can't use them. I think this is a slip of a new iTunes feature in the next version of iTunes: 6.0.5, which was already announced. 6.0.5 will add support for shoe integration, and this thing too.

The fact that there was a slip leads me to beleive that iTunes 6.0.5 will be released next tuesday.

mainstreetmark
Jun 20, 2006, 12:37 PM
6.0.5 will add support for shoe integration, and this thing too.

I still think it's goofy that statements like this can be made without any sarcasm and half-jokes, because, in fact, a music application IS integrating with your shoe.

Strange truths.

hyperpasta
Jun 20, 2006, 12:44 PM
I still think it's goofy that statements like this can be made without any sarcasm and half-jokes, because, in fact, a music application IS integrating with your shoe.

Strange truths.

I know, right? Seems so weird... but that's what it is!

CommodityFetish
Jun 20, 2006, 12:45 PM

How about "Claris Records" ;) :D

I don't know the details well enough to say, but it sounded like apple, as a company, would have to remain a retail operation in the music biz ... and not just forego using the apple logo if/when moving into record label operations.

in other words, because the company is 'apple' branded, they would have to start a separate company under a different name, with no formal ties to apple, to do their record label operations... ? Or maybe it could be a company like Filemaker, a "wholly owned subsidiary of apple computer"?

Would love to know the real scoop on this from someone who knows the legal side of the settlement... :)

(Of course as someone else noted, apple can't threaten the existing labels or the labels will just pull the catalog out from under them. So ultimately the next phase of cutting out the label/middleman may have to come from elsewhere (a digital downloading CDbaby?) without ties to traditional labels...)

s10
Jun 20, 2006, 01:12 PM
-Could be a section where anyone can upload their home made music.
-Could be a more complex version of iMix.. instead of just selecting the songs into a list, maybe we're getting some basic, non destructive, sound mixing controls in iTunes which can be exported/published to other users together with selected songs.

hyperpasta
Jun 20, 2006, 01:25 PM
-Could be a section where anyone can upload their home made music.
-Could be a more complex version of iMix.. instead of just selecting the songs into a list, maybe we're getting some basic, non destructive, sound mixing controls in iTunes which can be exported/published to other users together with selected songs.

Made IN iTunes? I think we're missing a piece of the puzzle.

Macnoviz
Jun 20, 2006, 01:39 PM
Made IN iTunes? I think we're missing a piece of the puzzle.

The Italian iTMS said "Fatto da iTunes" I don't really know Italian, but I do know some other Roman languages, and none of them translate da/de/... with "in", it's more like "from"

Can anyone translate?

EDIT: google translate also says from, but we would really need someone who knows more than one meaning of a word

JasonD
Jun 20, 2006, 01:57 PM
When I print a CD jewel case insert with iTunes, it say "Made in iTunes" on the bottom. What's the big deal?

celebrian23
Jun 20, 2006, 02:02 PM
The Italian iTMS said "Fatto da iTunes" I don't really know Italian, but I do know some other Roman languages, and none of them translate da/de/... with "in", it's more like "from"

Can anyone translate?

EDIT: google translate also says from, but we would really need someone who knows more than one meaning of a word

The spanish translation does mean "in"

a lot of timees clothes might say "hecho en china" made in china. I'm 100% sure of this

aswitcher
Jun 20, 2006, 03:15 PM
I think its self publish...connected with .Mac/iDisk limits etc

Mitch1984
Jun 20, 2006, 03:22 PM
I think it refers to bands that have done well from iTunes, like Gnarls Barkley who went to number 1 even though it was download only for it's 1st weeek.

McDave
Jun 20, 2006, 03:29 PM

That's assuming the old music supply chain model still stands. If the bands aren't 'signed' or 'promoted' in the traditional sense and do their own production (on Macs?) iTunes is still just the distribution medium it has always claimed to be. No conflict, just change.

What's the use of an Apple Corp when everyone wants canned puree?

McD

rvernout
Jun 20, 2006, 03:39 PM

Can anyone translate?

I think the Italian phrase would translate to "made by iTunes".

A Google search for the phrase "made in iTunes" shows that things made in iTunes are:
1) playlists
2) changes
3) equalizer settings

A Google search for the phrase "made by iTunes" shows that things that are made by iTunes are:
1) smart playlists
2) CD(R)s
3) files
4) MP3s
5) errors
6) money
7) queries/requests

My guess is that soon to this list will be added:
8) albums

Macnoviz
Jun 20, 2006, 04:20 PM
My guess is that soon to this list will be added:
8) albums

A bit like iTunes essentials?

Peace
Jun 20, 2006, 04:35 PM
Here's what it is going to be..

Certain European contries are going to demand iPods change to meet certain wireless/electrical standards..Also at the same time Apple may have to open up iTunes/iPods protected format..

Certain kinds of protected aac format songs purchased from iTunes..

Soon,if those standards take effect,people will be able to buy the song with something other than an iPod.When that happens and folks use iTunes to load the song directly to a differenr mp3 player the read out on that player will say "Made In iTunes"

you heard it here first ;)

Yebot
Jun 20, 2006, 05:04 PM
Perhaps this was a reference to that little known app iTunes Producer.

iTunes Producer is a free software application that allows you to prepare your music for submission to iTunes. Use it to encode your music into AAC format; enter album, song, and artwork information; and send all your prepared files directly to Apple for consideration.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/musicmarketing/

jbcaro
Jun 20, 2006, 05:11 PM
Maybe it's iKaraoke. You play a song, it strips out most of the lyrics, displays the lyrics on screen and will take mic input and let you record your voiceover and create a new entry in your library.

just a thought,
jbcaro

jonharris200
Jun 20, 2006, 05:48 PM
I don't hear the sound (yet) of this strange new feature, but I do hear the sound of heads rolling somewhere in the far off distance...

The Truth
Jun 20, 2006, 10:46 PM
Independent artists can already submit their music to itunes. They don't need to go through CD Baby or anything. This new section could just be a reference to these artists who are not associated with a record label.

Silverman
Jun 21, 2006, 12:16 AM

Can anyone translate?

"Fatto da iTunes" translates into "Made by iTunes", therefore suggesting some automated process?

Dunepilot
Jun 21, 2006, 02:33 AM
Here's what it is going to be..

Certain European contries are going to demand iPods change to meet certain wireless/electrical standards..Also at the same time Apple may have to open up iTunes/iPods protected format..

Certain kinds of protected aac format songs purchased from iTunes..

Soon,if those standards take effect,people will be able to buy the song with something other than an iPod.When that happens and folks use iTunes to load the song directly to a differenr mp3 player the read out on that player will say "Made In iTunes"

you heard it here first ;)

This is one of the more plausible interpretations I've read.

Whatever those graphics pertain to, it's obviously something of significant interest.

swingerofbirch
Jun 21, 2006, 02:58 AM
I haven't read throuhg all this, so it may have been said, but couldn't it just be a section for iTunes Originals, or rather a new name for iTunes Originals?

Macnoviz
Jun 21, 2006, 06:07 AM
I haven't read throuhg all this, so it may have been said, but couldn't it just be a section for iTunes Originals, or rather a new name for iTunes Originals?

That's about the simplest explanation I've read in this thread, and probably the most plausable one. Because, in science, when there is more than one solution, the simplest is often the right one.

It's not about iTunes 7, it's just a new name to make things simple, that got changed a bit too soon in certain countries.

However, I do hope it's more than that, as we all do, I guess

mrgreen4242
Jun 21, 2006, 10:33 AM
Oh man, how do I hope that Apple sets up some easy way to get unsigned bands into iTMS... they could take a larger cut of the $1 and STILL leave more money for the artist. It would give us a HUGE potential of new, fresh, RIAA free music to listen to, and hopefully steer ermerging bands from signing record deals.

Only thing I can think of that would make this an issue would be people trying to rip CDs and put them onto iTMS and sell them... it'd be hard to get the man power together to police something like that, and it'd suck if Apple got sued for aiding copyright infringement.

forrest1992
Jun 21, 2006, 04:51 PM
Maybe it means things people have made in GarageBand.

Like Podcasts, but just songs.