PDA

View Full Version : tech tool pro 4

mc68k
Feb 27, 2003, 01:14 AM
to be realesed... (http://www.micromat.com/a_enter_ad/ttp4/index.html)

o $50!
o written in cocoa
o offers to make a partition so you don't have to boot from cd
o defragments X
o multitasking utilities

etc...

i hated drive 10, i'm glad micromat's coming out with something worthy of their former glory. i will definitely look forward to it's release. i always feel leery defragging my X drive from 9, even though it needs it badly.

wsteineker
Feb 27, 2003, 11:47 AM
I saw this the other day on the Micromat website. I didn't see a release date, though. The $50 price point is sweet, though. It comes in cheaper than Drive 10 and TTP 3. I can't wait for this thing to ship. My HD needs optimization like it's going out of style. :)

globalwidget
Feb 27, 2003, 01:20 PM
If you buy Disk 10 now until 4/30/03, you will get a free upgrade to TT4 when it comes out towards early May.

I had to buy it yesterday to undo damage caused by Norton Utilites. I have used Norton 6 before to fix stuff on an OSX HD but this time it didn't go so well... I think Disk 10 is the only thing out there that boots into OS X from the CD.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Disk 10 currently has a Disk De-frag / Optimization feature with it. I used it just yesterday. It's underneath the Service menu, though I noticed that in the paper manual it wasn't listed. Only the PDF version had it mentioned. Must be a new feature. The is version 1.1.4 on my disk.

MrMacMan
Feb 27, 2003, 05:09 PM
Tell me what optomizing does it do... I mean anything special that I would want?

I fix disk permissions, like every 2-3 days... I run macjanitor every... week...

I mean so far I haven't got a mac virus or anything really bad.
I once... once got a panic during a WCIII game but nothing bigger than that.

mc68k
Feb 27, 2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Tell me what optomizing does it do... I mean anything special that I would want?it puts your data into contiguous blocks, so that the drive head mechanism doesn't have to go all over the place for some given data. you notice the defragmentation effects more if your disk has a lot of data on it.

for more in depth info i would do a search, but that's the basics.

mac15
Feb 28, 2003, 03:11 AM
I was a fan of Techtool back when I had OS9, it was great but very slow.

I use diskwarrior now, I'm waiting for version 3 to be released. But techtool Pro 4 looks pretty awesome, Are they still going to produce a light version?

springscansing
Feb 28, 2003, 08:40 AM
Diskwarrior 3 is out. Or at least its on my server.. hmm :-\

unreg
Mar 1, 2003, 06:46 PM
Defragging the HD definately does speed the system. As the disk approaches 70% full, this maintenance is most critical. I've run both Disk Warrior and TT for directory repairs in the same session. Often one utility will find and repair what the other didn't. I usually run TT to optimise the HD. Works for me. YMMV.

Dr. Distortion
Mar 3, 2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by springscansing
Diskwarrior 3 is out. Or at least its on my server.. hmm :-\

Wouldn't that by any chance be the Sneak Peek version which expires after March 30th? That's what I saw on various KDX servers...

-Dr. D.

typo

pEZ
Mar 3, 2003, 05:46 PM
So many people dis Drive 10 for not being effective. Therefore, I'm going to be one of the first to sing its praises. It's optimization feature somehow managed to save my friend's iBook from serious hemorrhaging - I know I've never seen Norton do that. Therefore, I'm looking forward to receiving my free copy of TechTool Pro 4.

Fat Tony
Mar 3, 2003, 05:52 PM
Does anyone know if there is a cross-grade price for those of us who bought Drive10 early on? I don't want to buy it again just so I can get a free update in a month.