PDA

View Full Version : Right-clicking in OS X

MorganX
Feb 27, 2003, 08:44 AM
Isn't there some add-on for OS X that lets you click and hold on an item to bring up it's context menu?

Or am I going to have to buy a 2-button mouse. Apple needs to give up the fight and go with 2-buttons.

****Sorry, wrong forum****

edesignuk
Feb 27, 2003, 08:50 AM
Control + Click = right click :)

MorganX
Feb 27, 2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by edesignuk
Control + Click = right click :)

I need a one-handed solution.

Sun Baked
Feb 27, 2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by MorganX
I need a one-handed solution. That would be a two button mouse, or include using toes or your nose with a one button mouse.

springscansing
Feb 27, 2003, 09:46 AM
Go buy a Kensington Studiomouse. Kensington has always made the best, most Apple-like stuff IMO. Mine should be in the mail today actually.. OooOOo... hope its nice!

MorganX
Feb 27, 2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by springscansing
Go buy a Kensington Studiomouse. Kensington has always made the best, most Apple-like stuff IMO. Mine should be in the mail today actually.. OooOOo... hope its nice!

I've decided on the Microsoft Optical Blue mouse. I'm not happy at all. I thought I could live with 1-button but it's a waste of time.

Apple should at least make 2-button pro mouse an option.

irmongoose
Feb 27, 2003, 10:02 AM
The new FruitMenu (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12974&db=mac) brings this "holding on and waiting for a context menu to come up and this is really slow and stupid and..." option to the Finder. But really, get a two-button mouse, and although it is true that Apple should make a two-button, there's no point complaning if you can go buy a third-party one. And I recomend a Kensington, too.. their drivers are the best mouse drivers I have seen so far, with options for almost everything you would ever want (okay, not that good, but still pretty damn close).

edit: well I see you have decided on the Microsoft mouse... hmm...

irmongoose

MorganX
Feb 27, 2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
The new FruitMenu (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12974&db=mac) But really, get a two-button mouse, and although it is true that Apple should make a two-button, there's no point complaning if you can go buy a third-party one.

Grumble, well if I could've ordered the iMac without a mouse and saved $20 to spend on a new mouse, I would have without complaining.

Anyway, let's not go there. One day someone at Apple will see the light and standardize on a 2-button mouse. Once that happens, context sensitive menus will be come as pervasively useful and "truly" context sensitive as they are in Windows, and virtually all Windows applications.

edit: BTW, I am going to try the Fruit Menu, thanks. It may be fast enough, maybe there's a delay setting. I would like to keep the mouse that came with my iMac. It's so well made and looks so good.

irmongoose
Feb 27, 2003, 10:12 AM
Grumble, well if I could've ordered the iMac without a mouse and saved $20 to spend on a new mouse, I would have without complaining.

Anyway, let's not go there. One day someone at Apple will see the light and standardize on a 2-button mouse. Once that happens, context sensitive menus will be come as pervasively useful and "truly" context sensitive as they are in Windows, and virtually all Windows applications.

Well OS X and all its apps do have full support for right-click... my 2-button mouse does work perfectly in all apps... so what are you trying to say here?

irmongoose

Sun Baked
Feb 27, 2003, 10:12 AM
Anyway, let's not go there. One day someone at Apple will see the light and standardize on a 2-button mouse. Once that happens, context sensitive menus will be come as pervasively useful and "truly" context sensitive as they are in Windows, and virtually all Windows applications. The day that happens is the day people start complaining about the lack of a scroll-wheel on the Apple mouse.

No matter what kind of mouse Apple ships, people are going to grumble, moan, and whine.

howard
Feb 27, 2003, 10:15 AM
i'm SOO glad os x supports right clicking...i almost didn't want to switch untill i found out it did awhile back

MorganX
Feb 27, 2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
The day that happens is the day people start complaining about the lack of a scroll-wheel on the Apple mouse.

No matter what kind of mouse Apple ships, people are going to grumble, moan, and whine.

Buttons beyond 2 have rapidly diminishing returns in terms of usability and effeciency. They have no standard implementation and are mostly used by gamers. There is no general "need" for more than two mouse buttons. There "is" a general need for 2 on both platforms or there would be no Option-click alternative.

Scroll-wheel is nice for browsing web pages, but hasn't caught on with applications. By the time you scroll a large directory or document in an application you realize scroll bars are much more effecient. I think a 2-button mouse from Apple would be met with nothing but positive response and an 18 year sigh of relief.

I'll adjust to many things in OS X that are different, and some that are IMO inferior. But I will not adjust to not having a two-button mouse. :D

MorganX
Feb 27, 2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
Well OS X and all its apps do have full support for right-click... my 2-button mouse does work perfectly in all apps... so what are you trying to say here?

irmongoose

I haven't run PhotoShop in OS X yet. So I may be behind the times. But in OS 9 when I marquee and area of an image and option-click I get a subset of the main menu, not a context sensitive menu.

Same in Illustrator. I'll be doing a presentation in Keynote this evening, I'll see how pervasive they are. This would be a good thing if all OS X apps are now making meaningful use of context-sensitive menus, I've been away for a while.

FelixDerKater
Feb 27, 2003, 11:06 AM
I just don't understand why Apple is still producing one-button mice. It just confuses me. They are not easier to use. Control-Click is the biggest bunch of BULL-$HI+. That is not ease-of-use. That is a company refusing to admit that they were wrong the whole time.

macktheknife
Feb 27, 2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
I just don't understand why Apple is still producing one-button mice. It just confuses me. They are not easier to use. Control-Click is the biggest bunch of BULL-$HI+. That is not ease-of-use. That is a company refusing to admit that they were wrong the whole time.

Excactly. I could understand why Apple has kept a one-button mouse when people still booted into OS 9. But with the OS X-only policy Apple is now adopting, it should just include a two-button mouse. The new PowerMacs apparently don't have a two-button mouse and neither do the new PowerBooks--despite the fact that they're all OS X-only.

Yes, we *could* just hold down CTRL to get a pop-up menu, but wouldn't it be easier for Apple to just include the second button? There's just no excuse for Apple to not include a two-button mouse.