PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto 6.0.4 Released

MacRumors
Jun 20, 2006, 04:39 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has released the iPhoto 6.0.4 update in the Mac OS X Software Update. The new update is described as follows:

This update to iPhoto contains a variety of new Greeting Card and Postcard themes for use with Apple print services, including invite and thank you card designs for summer parties, weddings, birthdays, etc.

iPhoto was last updated to 6.0.3 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060515170303.shtml) alongside the rest of the iLife suite in May 2006.

jive
Jun 20, 2006, 04:41 PM
But when will .7 come along?

aricher
Jun 20, 2006, 04:42 PM
My guess is that this is the first in many upgrades coming this week including a new iTunes with the "made in iTunes," functions added in.

appleguy
Jun 20, 2006, 04:48 PM
I think I might wait a bit as of the iWeb 1.1 drama

daveyjokes
Jun 20, 2006, 04:52 PM
My guess is that this is the first in many upgrades coming this week including a new iTunes with the "made in iTunes," functions added in.
My guess too. Anything special within the update? Or just tasty bug fixes lol

celebrian23
Jun 20, 2006, 04:54 PM
nothing too exciting for me anyways :)

Peace
Jun 20, 2006, 04:56 PM
Looks like just some new templates.

runninmac
Jun 20, 2006, 05:00 PM
Wow is it just me or are the apple servers insanely slow?

daveyjokes
Jun 20, 2006, 05:05 PM
im guessing you! no problems here...

runninmac
Jun 20, 2006, 05:11 PM
im guessing you! no problems here...

Care to tell me your download speed? Im getting ~20-30KB/sec which im thinking is pretty slow for having a cable modem.

21stcenturykid
Jun 20, 2006, 05:11 PM

Id say it was you or why dont you tell software update to download updates in the background so it just notifies you to install it once its all downloaded?

crap freakboy
Jun 20, 2006, 05:23 PM
When they manage to get it anywhere 'close' to the speed of iViewmedia I'll be impressed.

iKenny
Jun 20, 2006, 06:25 PM
just a little pet peeve of mine, but i still can't minimize iPhoto (or iMovie for that matter) while it's in the background. it always comes to the front before genieing into the dock

*sigh*

Applespider
Jun 20, 2006, 06:31 PM
Care to tell me your download speed? Im getting ~20-30KB/sec which im thinking is pretty slow for having a cable modem.

Mine came down in around 25 seconds so I guess it's just you ;)

Abstract
Jun 20, 2006, 06:40 PM
Does this make iPhoto beachball any less? I'm trying to figure out why iPhoto is so crap. iPhoto 2006 contains most of my original complaints about since iPhoto 2, which is fantastic, but they made it slow in the process. :rolleyes: Actually, it was always slow, but surely my new MB should handle iPhoto better than my old 1GHz PB could handle the very early iPhoto 2. I know there's more features now, but not enough to tax 2 fast processor cores.

LunchBox8484
Jun 20, 2006, 06:41 PM
I dont know if this is related to the release of 6.0.4, but since I have installed it, my Macbook Pro has randomly shut off twice (and this has never happened before).

Some other things that were the same... it was running on battery power both times (but was at or around 75% full) and iTunes was running.

Has anyone had anything similar happen since the iPhoto update?

Applespider
Jun 20, 2006, 06:45 PM
Abstract, it's not tied into that weird MakerNote bug that affects certain camera manufacturers during import and makes your iPhoto.library file a ridiculously large size (several hundred MBs rather than under 20MB) I think it appearing in iPhoto 5 and meant all those speed improvements went to waste if you had one of those cameras. There was a big deal on the Apple boards about it last year.

Just asking since I have over 5,000 images in iPhoto 6 on a 1.25Ghz Powerbook and mine scrolls like butter with nary a beachball except in those holiday shots?

jaxstate
Jun 20, 2006, 06:51 PM
My chepo camera doesn't even work with my Mac anymore, so no need for me to dl the 6.0.4. I hope it's just my USB cable.

Nukemkb
Jun 20, 2006, 08:20 PM
solved my problem with ordering prints...darn! I'm happy with it!

Doctor Q
Jun 20, 2006, 08:25 PM
Does this make iPhoto beachball any less? I'm trying to figure out why iPhoto is so crap. iPhoto 2006 contains most of my original complaints about since iPhoto 2, which is fantastic, but they made it slow in the process. :rolleyes: Actually, it was always slow, but surely my new MB should handle iPhoto better than my old 1GHz PB could handle the very early iPhoto 2. I know there's more features now, but not enough to tax 2 fast processor cores.Apple claimed to have speeded up iPhoto in previous releases, and they upped the maximum number of photos it could handle too. I've found that each new release was better than its predecessor (more bugs fixed than introduced).

ChrisA
Jun 20, 2006, 08:36 PM
... surely my new MB should handle iPhoto better than my old 1GHz PB could handle the very early iPhoto 2. I know there's more features now, but not enough to tax 2 fast processor cores.

I think the speed of the disk drive and the amount of RAM installed might matter more than the CPU. An old PB might have had a faster disk and more RAM than a new MB. Also, are you using the same camera as before. If a new camera with many more megapixels than that would explain it.

I have some scanned film images that are close to 18MP and they are slow compared to tose taken with a very old 2MP P&S with the Nikon D50 images in the midle someplace.

Les Kern
Jun 20, 2006, 08:41 PM
Looks like just some new templates.

If so, they could have waited.... I can imagine GarageBand 1.2.1.5 where various fart noises are available.

mduser63
Jun 20, 2006, 08:43 PM
Apple claimed to have speeded up iPhoto in previous releases, and they upped the maximum number of photos it could handle too. I've found that each new release was better than its predecessor (more bugs fixed than introduced).

iPhoto 6 is most definitely faster on my PowerBook than iPhoto 4 or 5 were. On my Intel Mac, I have no complaints about iPhoto's speed.

mkaake
Jun 20, 2006, 09:24 PM
after I fed my mac some much needed ram, iPhoto became useable to me again... I went from 3 minute start times, 5 minute quit times (during which the computer was completely unusable) to smooth. Not quite silky smooth, but smooth enough for me on a 3 year old machine that was the bottom of the line when it came out... (1ghz eMac)

bretm
Jun 20, 2006, 11:15 PM
I think the speed of the disk drive and the amount of RAM installed might matter more than the CPU. An old PB might have had a faster disk and more RAM than a new MB. Also, are you using the same camera as before. If a new camera with many more megapixels than that would explain it.

I have some scanned film images that are close to 18MP and they are slow compared to tose taken with a very old 2MP P&S with the Nikon D50 images in the midle someplace.

Nah. Any hard drive can handle the reading of the images faster than the processor can create thumbnails, enlarge, etc.

gammamonk
Jun 20, 2006, 11:20 PM
after I fed my mac some much needed ram, iPhoto became useable to me again... I went from 3 minute start times, 5 minute quit times (during which the computer was completely unusable) to smooth. Not quite silky smooth, but smooth enough for me on a 3 year old machine that was the bottom of the line when it came out... (1ghz eMac)
3 minute start time? How much ram did you have? 128megs?

I have 1gig and iPhoto 5 (I don't have 6... v__v) runs ok. Do you guys think 6 is worth buying?

chairguru22
Jun 20, 2006, 11:29 PM
more themes and templates ill probably never use... great... :rolleyes:

anyone know if it fixes any bugs and what bugs were fixed?

celebrian23
Jun 20, 2006, 11:34 PM
more themes and templates ill probably never use... great... :rolleyes:

anyone know if it fixes any bugs and what bugs were fixed?

My feeling exactly. I basically use iphoto as a library. I only do slight retouches, and I never ever use themes :rolleyes:

solvs
Jun 20, 2006, 11:47 PM
I still can't add pics without it importing them. Even though I have it set not to copy when importing. I realize you can create and external library, but I wish it was more like iTunes.

i-unit123
Jun 20, 2006, 11:50 PM
i think its important that apple constantly releases updates and all, but i cant wait for 10.4.7. but, i alwasy thouhgt that not always having to plug holes in the OS was a feature of OS X? lately, software update in osx has started to seem like automatic updates in windows:(

cbigfoot1987
Jun 21, 2006, 12:19 AM
i think its important that apple constantly releases updates and all, but i cant wait for 10.4.7. but, i alwasy thouhgt that not always having to plug holes in the OS was a feature of OS X? lately, software update in osx has started to seem like automatic updates in windows:(

its not so much hole plugging its more like new features so more items can be plug and play!!! and the security updates i know fix holes. but the issues are not as sever as windozes holes which are actually crators where mac holes you might be able to fit a pin through in a matter of speaking!

matperk
Jun 21, 2006, 12:42 AM
I dont know if this is related to the release of 6.0.4, but since I have installed it, my Macbook Pro has randomly shut off twice (and this has never happened before).

Some other things that were the same... it was running on battery power both times (but was at or around 75% full) and iTunes was running.

Has anyone had anything similar happen since the iPhoto update?

Actually, I think you have a bad MBP battery.

MrCrowbar
Jun 21, 2006, 12:53 AM
I still can't add pics without it importing them. Even though I have it set not to copy when importing. I realize you can create and external library, but I wish it was more like iTunes.

Agreed. I'd love to pop in a photo CD and not having to wait for iPhoto to impost everything. I eventually got bored of it and use preview for photos. Just enable the automatic resizing feature (custumize the toolbar so you have a button for it) and go full screen using the slideshow. It's wayyy faster than iPhoto too. Just hit the arrow keys for next and previous photo and look at it fly (I got 60 pictures a seconds on my Macbook. Probably more but the scren can't handle it). The only thing is you can't custumize the slideshow...

sread
Jun 21, 2006, 01:01 AM
Hey, just wondering what you mean by "automatic resizing feature?" I looked in the customize menu options but I couldn't find anything. Sounds great though, I'm defintely interested as I'm tired of waiting on iphoto too!

X5-452
Jun 21, 2006, 01:14 AM
I think I might wait a bit as of the iWeb 1.1 drama

I don't use iWeb. What was the fiasco about?

fltman
Jun 21, 2006, 01:16 AM
Does this make iPhoto beachball any less? I'm trying to figure out why iPhoto is so crap. iPhoto 2006 contains most of my original complaints about since iPhoto 2, which is fantastic, but they made it slow in the process. :rolleyes: Actually, it was always slow, but surely my new MB should handle iPhoto better than my old 1GHz PB could handle the very early iPhoto 2. I know there's more features now, but not enough to tax 2 fast processor cores.

Have you tried to rebuild your iPhoto Library XML file? It's not that uncommon that this file get's messed up, causing all kinds of strange behaviors within iPhoto.

Try to rebuild it simply by holding down the alt and command keys while starting iPhoto and use the rebuild option from the dialog box that will appear.

MrCrowbar
Jun 21, 2006, 01:34 AM
Hey, just wondering what you mean by "automatic resizing feature?" I looked in the customize menu options but I couldn't find anything. Sounds great though, I'm defintely interested as I'm tired of waiting on iphoto too!

Don't really know how they call it in english... but it should be:
View - custumize toolbar - in the second rowthe second icon from the right. That is just above the printer icon. It depicts a small frame in a bigger frame with 4 arrows indicating the small frame is scaled up to the big one.

Update: The function is called "zoom to fit" in english.

cal6n
Jun 21, 2006, 01:41 AM
Actually, I think you have a bad MBP battery.

I agree. Take it out and check it's not bulging. Mine started shutting down yesterday and I found a slight bulge. Apple are sending a replacement battery with no questions!

solvs
Jun 21, 2006, 01:58 AM
I eventually got bored of it and use preview for photos.
Me too. I wouldn't mind if it just did things like iTunes and kept links in the library. As it stands, I'm stuck with Preview which isn't bad, but isn't great. I wish they made Irfanview for Macs. The only thing I miss from my PC. Though Preview actually does some things better, you just have to play with the settings a little.

Maybe iPhoto 7 will be better.

RedTomato
Jun 21, 2006, 03:30 AM
Agreed. I'd love to pop in a photo CD and not having to wait for iPhoto to impost everything. I eventually got bored of it and use preview for photos. Just enable the automatic resizing feature (custumize the toolbar so you have a button for it) and go full screen using the slideshow. It's wayyy faster than iPhoto too. Just hit the arrow keys for next and previous photo and look at it fly (I got 60 pictures a seconds on my Macbook. Probably more but the scren can't handle it). The only thing is you can't custumize the slideshow...

I'd love to do this too, as I'm also bored of waiting for iPhoto. Sometimes clients don't want me to import their photos, but it's a hassle going through a CD full of photos.

I miss the speed of older versions of ACDSee on my PC (the mac version isn't as nice either)

I'm with you on the zoom to fit, and the full screen, but I just can't find the slideshow function in Preview.

I feel stupid today. Could you point it out to me where it is?

.. RedTomato..

gammamonk
Jun 21, 2006, 03:34 AM
I'd love to do this too, as I'm also bored of waiting for iPhoto. Sometimes clients don't want me to import their photos, but it's a hassle going through a CD full of photos.

I miss the speed of older versions of ACDSee on my PC (the mac version isn't as nice either)

I'm with you on the zoom to fit, and the full screen, but I just can't find the slideshow function in Preview.

I feel stupid today. Could you point it out to me where it is?

.. RedTomato..
View --> Slideshow

RedTomato
Jun 21, 2006, 03:44 AM
View --> Slideshow

Thanks, but its not there. I'm running Preview 2.1.0 on OS 10.3.9 (with all latest updates)

Seems it might be a 10.4 feature (!)

..RedTomato..

AdeFowler
Jun 21, 2006, 04:18 AM
Thanks, but its not there. I'm running Preview 2.1.0 on OS 10.3.9 (with all latest updates)

Seems it might be a 10.4 feature (!)

..RedTomato..
It is! As is the option to run a slideshow of selected images from within the Finder. It's a feature I use with clients CDs on a regular basis. It also has an 'add image to iPhoto button' which is handy.

RedTomato
Jun 21, 2006, 04:26 AM
It is! As is the option to run a slideshow of selected images from within the Finder. It's a feature I use with clients CDs on a regular basis. It also has an 'add image to iPhoto button' which is handy.

Do you mean "Yes it's there in 10.3.9" or "Yes it's a 10.4 feature"?

Soz I said I was feeling stupid today. Thanks in advance for the disambiguation.

..RedTomato..

MrCrowbar
Jun 21, 2006, 05:21 AM

Soz I said I was feeling stupid today. Thanks in advance for the disambiguation.

..RedTomato..

I guess it's a Tiger only feature. I have Version 3.0.6 of Preview. Try hitting COMMAND+SHIFT+F in your version. Maybe it's implemented, but not in the menu in your version.

I'd like to drag folders into the left column in iPhoto and keep the hierarchy with the subfolders. Maybe like mounted images in the finder... Or just make it exactly like iTunes does... without importing...

Or just make the slideshow in Preview customizable like in iPhoto.

Multimedia
Jun 21, 2006, 06:29 AM
Thanks Apple! More Themes Is Always Helpful.

AdeFowler
Jun 21, 2006, 08:11 AM

..RedTomato..
Sorry RedTomato... yes it was introduced in 10.4. ;)

See the bottom of:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/finder/

ncook06
Jun 21, 2006, 09:12 AM
iPhoto says there is an update available - I know I'm running 6.0.3, but when I run software update, it says my software is up to date. :confused:

mcadam
Jun 21, 2006, 09:42 AM
Geat, new greeting card themes - just the kind of updates iPhoto need - not!

It's a silly and unflexible app imho

A

mambodancer
Jun 21, 2006, 10:09 AM

I would go to system prefs/hardware/CD's & DVD's and change the "When you insert a Picture CD" to "ignore". That way iPhoto won't automatically open when you insert a photo CD. When the Picture CD shows up on the desktop, navigate to the CD, select the images you want to preview, right click on them and select slideshow. Now you can play, pause, advance to the next or previous slide, view as a contact sheet, or add the current photo to iPhoto. This feature works in OS 10.4

Glass
Jun 21, 2006, 10:43 AM
I would go to system prefs/hardware/CD's & DVD's and change the "When you insert a Picture CD" to "ignore". That way iPhoto won't automatically open when you insert a photo CD. When the Picture CD shows up on the desktop, navigate to the CD, select the images you want to preview, right click on them and select slideshow. Now you can play, pause, advance to the next or previous slide, view as a contact sheet, or add the current photo to iPhoto. This feature works in OS 10.4

Have you (or anyone else) ever noticed that if you select too many images at the same time Preview doesn't put them all into a slideshow? (IE some images just randomly get dropped from the list)

Thanks,

Glass

Sabon
Jun 21, 2006, 11:28 AM
I timed it and it took 13 seconds to open (3 seconds to close) iPhoto on my 800mhz G4 Powerbook with 1GB or RAM. 10.4.6

That is WITH the following applications also running:
Safari
iWeb (I LOVE this program)
Pages
and iTunes

I agree. If you are just trying to view photos off of a CD then iPhoto is NOT the app to use. I have Mac OS X 10.4.6. Highlight the list of files (pics) on the CD you want to preview, right click (CMD-click) and choose Slideshow. If you don't have 10.4 ... upgrade. It is definitely faster on my 800mhz G4 PowerBook (and same speed iMac) than 10.3 At this point I only have dreams about intel Macs.

My website is moving to http://web.mac.com/olsonbw/iWeb/Bill%27s%20website/Welcome%20to%20Bill%27s%20website.html and is still a work in progress.

iBunny
Jun 21, 2006, 11:39 AM
I would like to address everyone on the issue of iPhoto begin slow / beachballing?

I have a Core Duo 2GHz / 2GB of Ram iMac.... I have never got a slow down... so I dont know what you are talking about. I have 6256 Photos, all located on my Internal Hard Drive... I Photo starts up in about 3 seconds off a fresh reboot. After that, everything is instant. No Beachballs.

Sure, iPhoto uses about 1.1GB of ram sometimes... but I got the ram for it.

Glass
Jun 21, 2006, 12:10 PM
I would like to address everyone on the issue of iPhoto begin slow / beachballing?

I have a Core Duo 2GHz / 2GB of Ram iMac.... I have never got a slow down... so I dont know what you are talking about. I have 6256 Photos, all located on my Internal Hard Drive... I Photo starts up in about 3 seconds off a fresh reboot. After that, everything is instant. No Beachballs.

Sure, iPhoto uses about 1.1GB of ram sometimes... but I got the ram for it.

Its the same with Aperture.. you need loads of ram to get good performance but that's what the specs call for so I guess its no surprise. :p

ijimk
Jun 21, 2006, 01:19 PM
I will update once i get home...

jelloshotsrule
Jun 21, 2006, 01:35 PM
I will update once i get home...

thanks for the heads up. ;)

morespce54
Jun 21, 2006, 02:23 PM
Have you (or anyone else) ever noticed that if you select too many images at the same time Preview doesn't put them all into a slideshow? (IE some images just randomly get dropped from the list)

Thanks,

Glass

It also happened to me with the "slide show" feature in the Finder... :confused:

daveyjokes
Jun 21, 2006, 02:34 PM
View --> Slideshow
I'm stilling using good old 10.3.9, and you will find that the closest you can get is View>Full Screen. No effects, no nothing. Boohoo. Btw, i havent read the whole of this section so if its already answered, well, sorry? I dunno...it's national i'm an idiot day or something...

Glass
Jun 21, 2006, 03:05 PM
It also happened to me with the "slide show" feature in the Finder... :confused:

yea.. it happens all the time with finder.. that's one of the only reason I ever use iPhoto recently.. to show large slideshows.. for a small slideshow I prefer finder.

Glass

suntzu
Jun 21, 2006, 07:42 PM
I'm not getting the 6.0.4 update from Software Update. I'm getting an update for Aperture though (1.1.2). Any reason you can think of for this?

Glass
Jun 21, 2006, 08:26 PM
I'm not getting the 6.0.4 update from Software Update. I'm getting an update for Aperture though (1.1.2). Any reason you can think of for this?

Holy cow. you're right! I just checked it, and I have both updates listed. That's pretty significant as the current aperture definitely has a lot of issues.. this should be page one news!

suntzu
Jun 21, 2006, 08:29 PM
Holy cow. you're right! I just checked it, and I have both updates listed. That's pretty significant as the current aperture definitely has a lot of issues.. this should be page one news!

The updates make Aperture speedier at least on my end.

Glass
Jun 21, 2006, 08:31 PM
The updates make Aperture speedier at least on my end.

I would have to agree.. after only a few minutes of use I noticed that the levels adjuster is much smoother! I don't know what else specifically I've noticed, but it is generally better for sure.

legacyb4
Jun 22, 2006, 06:15 PM
If I'm not mistaken, there is something like a 100 file capacity restriction on the Finder slideshows; select more than that and only the first 100 will be shown.