Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
I have a big project coming up and I need use the gradient mesh too extensively. The problem is that I know how it works and all, but I can never seem to replicate the original image very well (we're reproducing a movie poster using the gradient mesh tool). I'm not sure what it is, people just say that it takes practice, but I've spent hours, and it still looks like crap.

Any tips? I thought the pen tool was obnoxious.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
I would recommend one of two options. Check out the following website tutorial. It's fantastic and for only $25 bucks a month you have access to the WHOLE tutorial library. Not just Illustrator.

Lynda.com

The other thing is to repost this post on either the Layers Magazine Forum OR Graphic Design Forum

Both these forums are EXTREMELY helpful. Hope this helps.

PS-> Don't mean to promote other forums but these are very helpful.

~e

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
I'm afraid I can't give you anything but encouraging words. It's been quite some time until I got that tool to do what I want, but so far I have only used it for Illustrations. To reproduce a photo with it sounds very very complex.

Do you have to work only with the gradient mesh tool? I often use it in combination with some blured/clipping masked objects.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
No, I can use other tools too, but my teacher made it seem like it would be difficult/impossible to finish the project without using the gradient mesh tool.

jaysmith

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
oh wow, i actually just picked up advanced mesh tool stuff yesterday.
http://lifeinvector.com/index2.html
go to the bottom and click the tutorial, its amazing.

redbellpepper_both.jpg

did this in about an hour, with minimal mesh tool experience. i have used it before, but never this efficiently.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Funny, i'm doing the same tutorial for my class. I guess the difference is that I've spent about 2 hours on it and it looks like garbage. I'm starting to wish it wasn't too late to change my major.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.