PDA

View Full Version : AppMac Software announces specialty Mac OS X Web browsers

medea
Feb 27, 2003, 02:26 PM
AppMac Software today announced the release of three new Web browsers for Mac OS X -- wKiosk browser 2.0, wDesk browser 1.0, and wKids browser 1.0. wKiosk browser (US$149) is a full-screen Web browser for internet/intranet kiosks in public spaces. wDesk browser ($59) is a Web browser for professionals and office workstations. wKids browser ($29) is a full-screen Web browser designed for children that allows parents to manage authorized URLs and protect children from X-rated Web sites. All three of the browsers use the Netscape Gecko technology.
http://www.appmac.com/

pretentious
Feb 28, 2003, 06:54 AM
WoooHooo... $79!!! for a web browser!

Lets just say that I don't think that they are going to get too many orders for this one ;)

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 1, 2003, 03:54 AM
it says it uses Netscape 7 technology. I take this as mozilla code. anyone have any idea how they can repackage mozilla and charge money for it?

alex_ant
Mar 1, 2003, 11:31 AM
Doesn't say they're repackaging Mozilla, just Gecko. They probably wrote their own frontend to Gecko. In that case, they would be able to charge for their browser as long as they made the nonproprietary parts available.

beatle888
Mar 1, 2003, 02:04 PM
i dont have any use for these browsers but im very glad their out there. these apps make browsing in a controled environment easy. im sure theres someone out there that would love these browsers. i hope they do well.

Computer_Phreak
Mar 1, 2003, 08:35 PM
[i] wDesk browser ($59) is a Web browser for professionals and office workstations.[/B]

So... um..

Could someone tell me how you would surf the web "professionally'?:D

shakespeare
Mar 1, 2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Computer_Phreak
So... um..

Could someone tell me how you would surf the web "professionally'?:D

The idea, as I understand it, is that that browser would enable managers to make sure that only "professional" websites were being visited. Apparently a lot of money and bandwidth is lost by people surfing the web "non-professionally" at work.

medea
Mar 1, 2003, 09:13 PM
Ever visit a internet kiosk, they use special browsers, like one available here not standard browsers like IE, that is their main market.

pretentious
Mar 2, 2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by medea
Ever visit a internet kiosk, they use special browsers, like one available here not standard browsers like IE, that is their main market.

Of course....You could always use iCab (http://www.icab.de), which has a very nice kiosk mode, and its free! For the moment at least.

PyroTurtle
Mar 3, 2003, 10:26 AM
the kids one looks the most promising...are there any other solutions out there for x-rated and other sites little people shouldn't be going to?

alset
Mar 4, 2003, 12:23 AM
I'm all for anyone who offers competition. Safari needs as many browsers as possible creeping in on it's turf.

Still, nothing has impressed me so much as Chimera. Forget weak browsers that have disgusting metal interfaces and low functionality. I download ever browser I can find, which always reminds me exactly why I hate Apple's browser so much.

Dan

Jaykay
Mar 4, 2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by alset
I'm all for anyone who offers competition. Safari needs as many browsers as possible creeping in on it's turf.

Well I can see a market for those browsers but i dont think they're really competition for safai (at those prices).

Switcher2001
Mar 4, 2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by PyroTurtle
the kids one looks the most promising...are there any other solutions out there for x-rated and other sites little people shouldn't be going to?

I think you meant "little ones." "Little people" is the politically correct term that replaced "midgets." "Dwarfs" is also acceptable.

<Little People of America's Website> (http://www.lpaonline.org/)

P.S. I'm not a dwarf; I just thought it was funny to see the expression "little people" applied to children.

P.P.S. If English is not your first language, or even if it is, no offense. :)