PDA

View Full Version : fully charge then drain battery? or keep plugged in?

charlestrippy
Jun 21, 2006, 12:38 PM
I'm curious:

What's the best way to keep your keep in good order...

should you fully charge it than drain it or should you try to keep it plugged in most of the time?

I ask this because in a month's time my battery (according to coconut battery) went from 100% capacity to 96% in ehhh, 20 days i think?

At this rate, i'm going to be "hurting" down the road hah

any suggestions?

chairguru22
Jun 21, 2006, 01:22 PM
i always thought that you should charge, drain, charge your battery since overcharging a battery is bad. At least with the iPod (and cell phones) you should do this to prolong life. but, a lot of people use their notebooks plugged in all the time and there doesn't seem to be a problem, but maybe thats just because their plugged in all the time...

brbubba
Jun 21, 2006, 02:23 PM
I think the official word from Apple is charge...drain...charge once a month or so to properly calibrate the thing. My only problem with this is that fully discharging lithium ion batteries is not good for them. Give it a try, but don't do it all the time.

charlestrippy
Jun 21, 2006, 02:34 PM
I think the official word from Apple is charge...drain...charge once a month or so to properly calibrate the thing. My only problem with this is that fully discharging lithium ion batteries is not good for them. Give it a try, but don't do it all the time.

so i should main draink it to about 50-60% and than start charging it again....then about once a month drain it fully?

jblock
Jun 21, 2006, 02:41 PM
I think it's different for different models. I know the iBook was just drain it all the way down then recharge. My MacBook is a much more involved process of charging, using it for awhile, letting it drain, letting it sit for at least five hours, and then charging it up.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 21, 2006, 02:45 PM
To prevent the battery to go into an endless charge -> discharge -> charge loop every time the battery goes below 100% (since a typical lithium based battery has a lifespan of about 500 charge cycles), Apple has set it not to start charging before it dips under 95%.

Calibrating Your Battery

To get the longest running time from your battery, calibrate it sometime during the first week you have your MacBook and recalibrate occasionally to keep your battery functioning at its fullest capacity.

To calibrate your battery:

Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your MacBook battery until the light on the power adapter plug changes to green and the Battery icon in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for two hours or longer. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
Disconnect the power adapter with the MacBook on and start running it from the battery. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, you’ll see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.
Continue to keep your computer turned on until it goes to sleep. Save your work and close all applications when the battery gets low and before the system goes to sleep.
5Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or longer.
6Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

Important: Repeat the calibration process every two months or so to keep your battery fully functioning. If you use your MacBook infrequently, it’s best to recalibrate the battery at least once a month.

More:
Apple - Batteries - Notebooks
(http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html)Apple - Batteries (http://www.apple.com/batteries/)

You can find information on your battery's performance in System Profiler -> Hardware -> Power.

charlestrippy
Jun 21, 2006, 04:48 PM
To prevent the battery to go into an endless charge -> discharge -> charge loop every time the battery goes below 100% (since a typical lithium based battery has a lifespan of about 500 charge cycles), Apple has set it not to start charging before it dips under 95%.

More:
Apple - Batteries - Notebooks
(http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html)Apple - Batteries (http://www.apple.com/batteries/)

You can find information on your battery's performance in System Profiler -> Hardware -> Power.

thanks dude!

X5-452
Jun 21, 2006, 04:58 PM
i always thought that you should charge, drain, charge your battery since overcharging a battery is bad. At least with the iPod (and cell phones) you should do this to prolong life. but, a lot of people use their notebooks plugged in all the time and there doesn't seem to be a problem, but maybe thats just because their plugged in all the time...

You don't have to fully discharge your iPod before you charge it again. And I believe new cell phones follow the same rules. Where before you had to fully discharge your phone, it doesn't matter if you charge it when it's at 80% now or whatever.

As for the MacBook. It's recommended you calibrate it once a month and that's it.

xfiftyfour
Jun 21, 2006, 05:17 PM
so i should main draink it to about 50-60% and than start charging it again....then about once a month drain it fully?

i get yelled at by my fiance (in jest) because i always run to a charger when i hit 20%.. apparently, lithium ion batteries will start to "learn".. what i mean is, if that last 20% of cells are never used, then they will "learn" they're not used, and eventually stop holding a charge... so i don't know if always going to 50-60% and then charging, other than that one time a month that you drain your battery, is such a good idea, either...but perhaps someone else here may have more expertise to lend?

X5-452
Jun 21, 2006, 05:36 PM
i get yelled at by my fiance (in jest) because i always run to a charger when i hit 20%.. apparently, lithium ion batteries will start to "learn".. what i mean is, if that last 20% of cells are never used, then they will "learn" they're not used, and eventually stop holding a charge... so i don't know if always going to 50-60% and then charging, other than that one time a month that you drain your battery, is such a good idea, either...but perhaps someone else here may have more expertise to lend?

According to the Apple battery website (http://www.apple.com/batteries/):

Standard Technology

Lithium-ion batteries pack in a higher power density than Nickel-based batteries. This gives you a longer battery life in a lighter package, as Lithium is the lightest metal. You can also recharge a Lithium-ion battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep Nickel-based batteries at peak performance. (Over time, crystals build up in Nickel-based batteries and prevent you from charging them completely, necessitating an inconvenient full discharge).

edit// I just checked the Wikipedia entry on Li-on batteries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_batteries), and it also states that they have no memory effect.

charlestrippy
Jun 21, 2006, 06:59 PM
According to the Apple battery website (http://www.apple.com/batteries/):

edit// I just checked the Wikipedia entry on Li-on batteries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_batteries), and it also states that they have no memory effect.

any idea why in 20 days my capacity level went from 100% to 96% according to coconut battery than maybe?

xfiftyfour
Jun 21, 2006, 07:36 PM
Lithium-ion batteries pack in a higher power density than Nickel-based batteries. This gives you a longer battery life in a lighter package, as Lithium is the lightest metal. You can also recharge a Lithium-ion battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep Nickel-based batteries at peak performance. (Over time, crystals build up in Nickel-based batteries and prevent you from charging them completely, necessitating an inconvenient full discharge).

sweeeeet.. i was able to yell (in jest, again) at my fiance for feeding me BS this whole time! thanks for the info :D

his response: "er.. crap. what was i thinking of this whole time then?" heh

....it's the little things. :rolleyes:

Rovman
Jun 21, 2006, 07:47 PM
Yeah... Lithium-Ion proccessors do not have the memory effect, but fully discharging them can damage them (it's hard to fully discharge a LiIon battery because they have a microproccessor inside that shuts off your computer/phone/ipod). But if a device turns itself off due to low battery and you keep turning it on to try and get a few more minutes/seconds out of it, thats bad.
It's the old NiCd and NiMh batteries that suffer memory effect.

Also again, it is not possible to overcharge your MacBook battery (and most other devices that use Lithium Ion batteries) because the microproccessor inside them stops the charging once they are at full capacity. Same applies to iPods.

jmsait19
Jun 21, 2006, 08:02 PM
any idea why in 20 days my capacity level went from 100% to 96% according to coconut battery than maybe?

it hasn't. as the earlier poster said, to avoid using up precious charge cycles, the battery does not charge until it dips below 95%. and for some reason it doesn't always charge to 100% either. anyways, you are good, your battery is fine.

also, i used to think about discharging my battery and then recharging, but i read about it and learned that i shouldn't do that.

your battery has a certain number of charge cycles (ie. use 70%, charge 40%, use 30%, charge 60%, this qualifies as a charge cycle) and to drain your battery more than necessary will reduce the number of remaining charge cycles you have faster than you need to.

look up the proper way to calibrate your battery, and do that how ever often it says to do it. other than that, if you have access to an outlet, plug it in. it won't overcharge. batterys and their chargers have made great advances over time and overcharging isn't something you have to worry about with most new equipment.

plus, if you plug it in, your processor will run at a higher level, because it doesn't have to worry about conserving battery.

charlestrippy
Jun 21, 2006, 09:49 PM
it hasn't. as the earlier poster said, to avoid using up precious charge cycles, the battery does not charge until it dips below 95%. and for some reason it doesn't always charge to 100% either. anyways, you are good, your battery is fine.

also, i used to think about discharging my battery and then recharging, but i read about it and learned that i shouldn't do that.

your battery has a certain number of charge cycles (ie. use 70%, charge 40%, use 30%, charge 60%, this qualifies as a charge cycle) and to drain your battery more than necessary will reduce the number of remaining charge cycles you have faster than you need to.

look up the proper way to calibrate your battery, and do that how ever often it says to do it. other than that, if you have access to an outlet, plug it in. it won't overcharge. batterys and their chargers have made great advances over time and overcharging isn't something you have to worry about with most new equipment.

plus, if you plug it in, your processor will run at a higher level, because it doesn't have to worry about conserving battery.

killer - thanks everyone for the imput!

josie
Nov 13, 2007, 12:49 PM
i was also wondering whether i should always keep it plugged in. Ive had my macbook for a week now and its already down to 97% with 8 cycles...is this normal? how can i get it back up to a 100%?