PDA

View Full Version : just a thoght about the ibooks..

bokdol
Feb 27, 2003, 02:26 PM
i was just thinking about ibooks and why there has not been a revision in a little while now. other then the fact that the 1ghz g3 are avaliable, the ibooks have to be able to boot up in 9. why do you ask.. because a lot of education customers need to still boot up in 9. working in a high school we are a bit nervous about jumping to 10 when 95% of our systems run in though we understand that a move to 10 has to happen we would like to delay it as much as possible. hard to embarce change as a lot of people well be greatly disrupted with the move. just a thought on why we have not seen a change. also i hope the 1 ghz machines can boot in 9..

rainman::|:|
Feb 27, 2003, 02:53 PM
you should seriously start the switch, cover OS X in computer basics class, install it on a few machines. all new software is being written for X, so you're going to have to switch soon... might as well get the kids acclimated to it...

pnw

bokdol
Feb 27, 2003, 03:27 PM
well part of it has to do with the fact that the teacher are using os 9 not the kids. we would have ove 150 computer that needs to be updated and over 70 teachers that needs training in 10. impracticle at this time but if we can ween them slowly then it may work. 10 is not nessesary for us. and forcing people to change the way they work will cause more problems then it will solve. 10 will be there but not right now. and apple know that education departments can not do a full intergration at one time. not cost effective and equipment may not support it right away. we still have original imacs that 10 will not work on.

morlium
Feb 27, 2003, 03:42 PM
Apple may very well offer an OS 9 iBook after the next revision, but the fact remains that the iBooks were updated on Nov. 6, less than four months ago. Apple's on an approximate 6-7 month refresh rate, which beings us to about June. I'd look to MacWorld NY for redesigned iBooks.

MacFan25
Feb 27, 2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by morlium
I'd look to MacWorld NY for redesigned iBooks.

I wonder, if they re-design them, what they will change about them.

cubist
Feb 27, 2003, 04:37 PM
Hey bokdol, pop over to apple.com, they will give you a free mac os x package!

jayscheuerle
Feb 27, 2003, 04:50 PM
Look at the 12" AlBook. It's just a metal iBook with a G4...

Kwyjibo
Feb 27, 2003, 05:14 PM
With the new "g4" iBook you have to consider alot. I'm sure apple will keep the iBook slower than the 12in powerbook even with the g3/g4 difference. So the iBook may be joining the 12powerbook update scheme now. I know that 1ghz g3s are availbe but i can't see apple releasing a 1ghz iBook anh having a 867 mhz powerbook around it just seems too illogical. This is just a simple observation but the 12in iBook and 12 pBook are in definately supplimentary and apple knows this so its unlikely the iBook will outpace the pbooks clockspeed. something to think about....

bokdol
Feb 27, 2003, 08:07 PM
i got the x offer in dec. but thanks for telling me. it's kinda funny only half our machines can run it though. we have told a few teachers but not all as they really dont care much about os's. they just want their computer to work.

Jimong5
Feb 27, 2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
With the new "g4" iBook you have to consider alot. I'm sure apple will keep the iBook slower than the 12in powerbook even with the g3/g4 difference. So the iBook may be joining the 12powerbook update scheme now. I know that 1ghz g3s are availbe but i can't see apple releasing a 1ghz iBook anh having a 867 mhz powerbook around it just seems too illogical. This is just a simple observation but the 12in iBook and 12 pBook are in definately supplimentary and apple knows this so its unlikely the iBook will outpace the pbooks clockspeed. something to think about....
unless they refresh the PB line at the same time, and go all aluminum...

Kwyjibo
Feb 27, 2003, 08:28 PM
Well i think they have to start shipping the whole al line before they update it :) and thats exactly what I think I was saying. The iBook may now adopt the Pb's update schedule instead of working off its own.

bellis1
Feb 27, 2003, 09:22 PM
I work in an academic institution and macs have been the backbone of much of our work/research. We have a lot of g3 and I tried to switch our computers over; originally with osx 10.1 and it was such a bad choice. We lost connectivity with cd-rom drives, printers, scanners, etc. And then on top of it multiple users and the osx architecture made it difficult to manage. It was nice in os9 and it was difficult to make the adjustment. So I switched back to os9 and even had os10.1 with partitioned drives but it really was a nightmare. But I recently purchased a 12" powerbook and transferred all of the files over from the old g3 and everything works seemlessly and everything was so easy to learn. I am not switching back and I hope the day comes soon that the g3 are given up and everyone has a g4 that runs jaguar perfectly. And I am not making a knowck on g3 ibooks because they probably do run jaguar fine but my experience with a g3 and osx came from 10.1. But I do have to say that 0s9 and osx programs seem to work perfectly. I can barely tell the difference when an os9 program is working in osx. I have not worried once about booting and os9 and probably never will. Thank god and thank apple for making jaguar an amazing improvement on their first version. I think I should be entitled to getting money back from purchasing that first verison. Good luck and try to make the switch.

bokdol
Feb 27, 2003, 10:06 PM
so running 9 under os 10 is fine for you?. i have seen it on the few comps that have it. and it runs very slowly and make os 10 seem really slow. but i have to say 10 never crashed compared to 9. we have daily crashes and freezes on 9. well maybe we would get new machines.. hopefully.. haha too bad i am not the business manager at my school.

JSRockit
Mar 1, 2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by morlium
I'd look to MacWorld NY for redesigned iBooks.

I agree...and minimal speed bumps.

yzedf
Mar 1, 2003, 09:57 PM
yeah... prolly a 900MHz G3 and the option for a SuperDrive. Maybe BT, but no FW800 or AE...

macphoria
Mar 1, 2003, 10:15 PM
Steve said "Year of laptops". I'm hoping that meant serious speed boost and upgrades, maybe even 1Ghz G3 iBook. I don't know about SuperDrive on G3 iBook. Many posts mentioned without G4 it would not be very efficient. For example, the encoding process in iDVD will take much much longer, I've been told.

I wonder if iBook design will change. Current design is simple, yet elegant. Maybe they will shrink the form factor a bit more? Kind of like PowerBook 12?

IndyGopher
Mar 1, 2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by bokdol
we still have original imacs that 10 will not work on.

Except for the amount of standard memory (32 meg) there is nothing stopping the original iMac from running OS X.

iJon
Mar 2, 2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by yzedf
yeah... prolly a 900MHz G3 and the option for a SuperDrive. Maybe BT, but no FW800 or AE...
i have a feeling AE would be in it. Maybe the middle end and high end would have it. Then the low end would have the old one to cut costs even more. Im thinking of kindof like the imac. guess we will have to wait and see. wouldnt mynw be a little late, if i remember last year, ibooks were updated around end of april or early may. july just seems so late, but who knows. im excited though.

iJon

JSRockit
Mar 2, 2003, 10:16 AM
No superdrive in the iBook...not for another year or so. Also, I think we will see AE, but maybe not bluetooth.

Falleron
Mar 2, 2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by yzedf
There is no chance of getting a Superdrive iBook while they use a G3. They will have to go for a G4 for this. I guess everything will depend on whether IBM gives Apple the 970 by MWNY. If they do, powerbooks can move to the 970 + the ibook can move to the G4. Who knows when this will happen though. However, SJ did say that this was the year of the Laptop. This could mean that OSX.3 is 64bit + combined with a 970 would make a GREAT computer.