Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machappymeal

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
A heads up to all the UK Macrumor crew. PC World stores (very common throughout the UK) are offloading all the PPC G4 Mac Mini's. These are not on the website and are being sold on a store to store basis as "manager's special's". Now normally this would mean avoid like the plague but these are very good discounts indeed;

1.25 combo model £170
1.42 combo model £200
1.42 Superdrive model £240

Most people are finding that these are the "silent upgrade" models ie. 1.33 and 1.5ghz respectively and, in my case, the Superdrive model was a 1.5ghz with the 64mb video ram. These were retailing for £500 so it is a bit of a steal in my opinion. And, before anyone asks:rolleyes: , these are the G4 MODELS NOT THE INTEL MODELS.

This has been running for a week so supplies are truly limited but shop around.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Do they have them on display in all stores? Or do we have to pester them to get one?

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
The superdrive will have the wireless.

The models should be on display in most stores, they are in mine - but you may find they're not priced up correctly, or that it is a case of display models only.

If they're not on the shop floor just try and find the odd couple of staff members who have a clue about macs :) THere's usually one or two per store who'll be able to tell you if they have them out back or not straight off

EDIT: They've been this price for over 2 weeks now so don't count on them being there.

machappymeal

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
The middle and top range ones both have wireless and bluetooth. Both models are also the 1.5ghz, 64mb ram video card "silent upgrade" ones. The one I purchased was a week 47 model.

Supplies are running out guys as this has been going on all week. The only way to get one is to go to a store and pester the salesperson to go and look out the back for any left. Even the display models are being sold with a huge discount. Talk to the manager and strike a deal. Someone I know purchased a standard 1.25ghz (though it turned out to be a 1.33ghz upgrade model) model ex-demo that had a few marks on the outer casing and needed a bit of a clean for £99!!. This included the power lead and discs!!.

There are bargains out there if you haggle.

machappymeal

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
In fact the previous poster is right - this started early last week and many people have snapped all the stock up to subsequently ebay the spare ones. As of yesterday though some stores did have one or two left....

icecavern

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
Reading, UK
One nearest work has none, will try the 2 others near me. Loads on ebay now though, like you say mostly I bet bought from PC world

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
Nah I tried the store in Nottingham and both stores in Leicester. None of them had any. Well one in Leicester had one on display with a 19" LCD screen and keyboard+mouse but they would only sell me that at full price (£750 odd or so) so I didn't bother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.