PDA

View Full Version : 2 CRT or one 17in apple monitor?

Wano
Feb 27, 2003, 10:53 PM
Ok so I am getting a PowerMac G4...I just don't know what to get, two 19" Viewsonic monitors or one 17" Apple displays?
I am gonna use this for video editing and photoshop, I am aware that the two monitors will be more beneficial cause I will get more screen area. But, with the 17" apple display I will get one really nice stylish monitor that will hardely take up any space on my desk and it is more appealing to the eyes to work with.
Any advice/input will be appreaciated, thanks!

Bear
Feb 27, 2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Wano
Ok so I am getting a PowerMac G4...I just don't know what to get, two 19" Viewsonic monitors or one 17" Apple displays?
I am gonna use this for video editing and photoshop, I am aware that the two monitors will be more beneficial cause I will get more screen area. But, with the 17" apple display I will get one really nice stylish monitor that will hardely take up any space on my desk and it is more appealing to the eyes to work with.
Get one 17" now if that's all you can afford and add a second one later.

bokdol
Feb 27, 2003, 11:22 PM
if you do color correction and need space for video go for the 2 monitors. but also i think you should get a cheapo 17 in crt and save some money and get the 20 inch.. nice realestate and even more style then 17 inch. plus wide sreen

arn
Feb 27, 2003, 11:23 PM

get the two 19".

The one 17" is nice... but you'll be much more productive with two 19"

arn

Wano
Feb 27, 2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Bear
Get one 17" now if that's all you can afford and add a second one later.

That's what I was thinking...but that wouldn't be for a while.

Bear
Feb 27, 2003, 11:27 PM
That's what I was thinking...but that wouldn't be for a while.
Or maybe go one LCD and one CRT if you can eek out the extra money for that.

rainman::|:|
Feb 27, 2003, 11:41 PM
why not getting two third-party LCD panels? If you go CRT, you won't get Apple anyway, so go for LCD and save the deskspace.

i really love apple LCDs but they're so pricey... if you're working on a budget like most of us, you have to make sacrafices.

'course, you probably won't get widescreen...

pnw

blackfox
Feb 28, 2003, 12:05 AM
As was alluded to in an above post, if you do alot of video work, and need accurate color representation-I would go for the 2 CRT monitors. As far as I know CRT monitors in general still beat out LCDs in that respect, especially for the price point...and from someone who does alot of video work, ARN is correct in saying two is better than one. In passing, I do not know what the effects(if any) there are from using the ADC connector with new monitors versus old analog connectors (I have a pre-ADC mac). Hope this helps. (P.S I really personally liked the last generation apple studio pro CRT monitors-I have 2-you can find them pretty cheap if you look around...). Lastly, I would just take the time out to look at the specs of various monitors (LCD/CRT) at various price points and see what the best compromise is between price/performance. Do try and go and actually look at some of these monitors if possible. As far as LCDs go, I've always liked Formac...sorry to ramble, hope this helps...

Glossybear
Feb 28, 2003, 12:41 AM
You could always go with the 17inch (or Better yet 20inch) Apple display and use a video-field monitor for the 2nd display (in final cut at least). This is the way I've always edited, and it works quite well.

mac15
Feb 28, 2003, 05:28 AM
get 2 big ass CRTs, more reolutions, better colour and cheaper to.

crazzyeddie
Feb 28, 2003, 05:41 AM
CRT's... they may not be the 'coolest' thing, but they have better depth and higher pixel density, which would be better than an LCD. Plus you save money, which could be spent on more RAM which would help you the most.

Wano
Feb 28, 2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Glossybear
You could always go with the 17inch (or Better yet 20inch) Apple display and use a video-field monitor for the 2nd display (in final cut at least). This is the way I've always edited, and it works quite well.

Yeah, I think that would work fairly well. Correct me if I am wrong, a video-field monitor is like a TV (sorta) that only displays the motion video from FCP instead of everything on the desktop? It also gives accurate color too, right?

Where can I find one and for how much?
How would I hook it up to the computer...do I need a video card?
Thanks!

macphoria
Feb 28, 2003, 02:17 PM
2 CRT's. You'll get much much more working area out of those.

Photographer
Mar 1, 2003, 10:40 AM
Hi guys im just thinking about switching and saw this thread how can you connect and use two monitors as one? Im thinking two CRTs.

Cheers Mike

steeleclipse
Mar 1, 2003, 10:42 AM
A handy little trick that I use is I have an Apple 17" LCD Studio Dispay and a viewsonic 17" CRT.

That way I have more real estate, i kept my cost down, and it is EXCELLENT for colour calibration (Print output can be better proofed on the CRT) and I can also see how web graphics look on both a CRT and LCD, because people that view the one of the websites that I worked on will have one of the two.

It is also great for previewing timelines in Final Cut Pro. LCDs make the preview look so grainy, but the CRT is like a really high resolution television.

The biggest advantage of an LCD besides power consumption, space saving, and looking really sweet is, if you are into graphics and whatnot, it makes colours look really vibrant and they come to life. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it can be very inspiring if your work has life to it and it makes you want to keep creating.

Make a long story short, go with the 17" LCD and then you can add a display later. I was in the same position as you, I went on a gut, bought the LCD, and I LOVE IT. You DEFINITELY won't regret it.

Hope that helps. :D

MacBandit
Mar 1, 2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Photographer
Hi guys im just thinking about switching and saw this thread how can you connect and use two monitors as one? Im thinking two CRTs.

Cheers Mike

All new PowerMacs have dual monitor support out of the box. Just plug in the two monitors and go. You just have to make sure you either have the right adaptors for the connectors or the buy the monitors with the right conectors to start with.

Actually you can even buy additional PCI Video Cards and plug additional monitors in and they will just work. No config needed though you can set them up how you want if need to. I think the max number of monitors is limited by availabe PCI slots and desk space.

steeleclipse
Mar 1, 2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Photographer

Cheers Mike

On every new Powermac G4, the video card (either NVIDIA or ATI) has an ADC port (Apple Display Connector) and a DVI port. When two monitors are connected to these ports, desktop spanning is enabled.

To connect two CRTs it will cost you over a hundred dollars to convert the ADC port to DVI, than both the DVI to VGA.

Powermacs and Powerbooks support spanning, however, iProducts (iBook, iMac) and the eMac don't.

They support video mirroring, however *cough* wow *cough* :D

andrewlandry
Mar 1, 2003, 11:22 AM
Sorry, but it doesn't cost over a hundred bucks to plug in two CRT's to a PowerMac. I just bought one and have two non-Apple LCD displays hooked up to it. The Powermac comes with one adapter to VGA in the box and I purchased another one at the same time I bought my computer for $35. Viola.

I would probably go for the LCD, because they are just cool. They take less energy, they are lighter to move, take up less space, they don't have lead in them that will poison people once ending up in a landfill someday. And the other thing to consider is that you will keep them long after you have replaced your computer.

Then again, I wouldn't be so broke right now if I hadn't gotten LCDs. :) It's kind of a tough choice if money is a concern. Good luck with that.

djniche
Mar 1, 2003, 11:49 AM
save and get a 20" apple screen
and later you can add a 17CRT

that would be the best bet i think

bbarnhart
Mar 1, 2003, 01:09 PM
I've got a 17" Apple Studio Display and an old 17" CRT both connected to a 1.25 MDD 2003. Works great. If you were going to connect two 19" CRT, you would have to spend $100 on an ADC to VGA adaptor (or add another video card?) so plan accordingly.

That's why I sprung for the Apple 17" because it has the ADC connector.

Wano
Mar 1, 2003, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all the input!

LethalWolfe
Mar 1, 2003, 03:24 PM
I have 2 17"'s and I work in FCP and I would never go any smaller for a video workstation. At least for video work computer monitor color accuracy isn't that imporant because it will always be wrong compared to what it looks like on a TV. :) That's why you'll always see NTSC (or PAL) monitors hooked up to editing workstations so the editor can see what his proejcet really looks like.

That beind said CRTs are more color accurate and LCDs so that's one reason why I'd rather have CRTs than LCDs right now.

Lethal

Wano
Mar 1, 2003, 03:27 PM
How much are the reference monitors?...and where can I buy em?

LethalWolfe
Mar 1, 2003, 04:02 PM
How much are the reference monitors?...and where can I buy em?

B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com) is always a good place to look for anything video related. As far as price goes... they cost as much as you are willing to spend (low end starts around $700). At home on my "after hours" stuff I use a an $85 13" Sharp TV. At work, well I freelance, so at work I use whatever they have (last job they had some JVCs but I don't remember the model #).

Lethal

beatle888
Mar 1, 2003, 04:18 PM
crt would be better for high end photoshop manipulation and color correction i think.

MrBillGates
Mar 1, 2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
B&H (http://www.bhpotovideo.com) is always a good place to look for anything video related. As far as price goes... they cost as much as you are willing to spend (low end starts around $700). At home on my "after hours" stuff I use a an $85 13" Sharp TV. At work, well I freelance, so at work I use whatever they have (last job they had some JVCs but I don't remember the model #).

Lethal

I was unaware that Hanky-Panky-College sold reference monitors... Anyways, I have been interested in purchasing a reference monitor for quite some time but $700 seems pricey for the low end. Why are they so damn expensive?

steeleclipse
Mar 1, 2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by andrewlandry
Sorry, but it doesn't cost over a hundred bucks to plug in two CRT's to a PowerMac. I just bought one and have two non-Apple LCD displays hooked up to it. The Powermac comes with one adapter to VGA in the box and I purchased another one at the same time I bought my computer for $35. Viola.

what are you talking about??? an ADC to VGA adapter is 100 bucks itself... must be nice to live in your world...

Wano
Mar 1, 2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by steeleclipse
what are you talking about??? an ADC to VGA adapter is 100 bucks itself... must be nice to live in your world...

A ADC to DVI adapter is $39 and a DVI to VGA is only $19 putting it at $58.

steeleclipse
Mar 1, 2003, 05:21 PM
A ADC to DVI adapter is $39 and a DVI to VGA is only $19 putting it at $58.

Sorry.. CDN funds

andrewlandry
Mar 1, 2003, 05:54 PM
Senor Steel Eclipse. I checked on it (because I know that I didn't pay $100 and I have two VGA monitors hooked up to my PowerMac).

The DVI to ADC adapter is indeed $100. But I was talking about the ADC to VGA adapter - about $30.

http://www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf_id=DCA8338&cat=pc

If you check the PowerMac specs, you'll see that it comes with a DVI to VGA adapter - so all you need is an ADC to VGA adapter to hook up to VGA displays.

As a side note, you don't have to be such a bastard when you think someone else is wrong - I could have simply made a mistake (as you seem to have). :)

Let's all try to be a little more like Mr. Rogers.

MacBandit
Mar 1, 2003, 06:13 PM

You mean cold dead and in a casket? (Too soon for the joke?) Sorry if I offended anyone. I really loved the guy.

andrewlandry
Mar 1, 2003, 07:41 PM
oh yeah, and it is nice to live in my world ;)

Eckslusive
Mar 1, 2003, 09:55 PM
Why not use the one you have now..and then save up and get the 22" or the 23". If u really want to save space do that.

But money wise, the 2 CRTs are the way

LethalWolfe
Mar 1, 2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by MrBillGates
I was unaware that Hanky-Panky-College sold reference monitors... Anyways, I have been interested in purchasing a reference monitor for quite some time but $700 seems pricey for the low end. Why are they so damn expensive?

Oh f%$k me!:o :eek: I fixed the link.

They are expensive for the same reason that all pro equipment is expensive. The more expensive the monitor the higher quality components, better picture, more i/o's, more imagine adjustment/calibration options, etc.,. Video equipment is just ***** expensive in general. At my last job I shot w/a $20k lens and when I did tennis one camera I used had a $60k lens on it.

Lethal

Wano
Mar 1, 2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Eckslusive
Why not use the one you have now..and then save up and get the 22" or the 23". If u really want to save space do that.

But money wise, the 2 CRTs are the way

Right now I am using a Dell with a 17" CRT, but it's the family computer so I need my own monitor, the 17" apple is all I can really afford right now anyways considering I am a student and I wont be making money of this computer setup.

steeleclipse
Mar 2, 2003, 12:30 AM
Senor Steel Eclipse. I checked on it (because I know that I didn't pay $100 and I have two VGA monitors hooked up to my PowerMac).

The DVI to ADC adapter is indeed $100. But I was talking about the ADC to VGA adapter - about $30.

http://www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf_id=DCA8338&cat=pc

If you check the PowerMac specs, you'll see that it comes with a DVI to VGA adapter - so all you need is an ADC to VGA adapter to hook up to VGA displays.

As a side note, you don't have to be such a bastard when you think someone else is wrong - I could have simply made a mistake (as you seem to have). :)

How can you bring up Mr. Rogers at a time like this??? Hows the bastard now??? :D

steeleclipse
Mar 2, 2003, 12:32 AM
Oh crap... I MEANT WHO'S... THAT WAS A TOTAL SLIP :o

I havent had too much good luck with this post... excuse me while I hang my head in shame

MacBandit
Mar 4, 2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by steeleclipse
Oh crap... I MEANT WHO'S... THAT WAS A TOTAL SLIP :o

I havent had too much good luck with this post... excuse me while I hang my head in shame

Ever heard of editing your post? There's a little button at the bottom right of the post that says edit. That will let you correct your error and will prevent the need to double post.

uae
Mar 4, 2003, 11:52 AM
As far as using CRTs for video if you are doing color work....this doesn't make any sense at all.

If you are doing color correction for video...the LAST place you want to use for a reference is the video on your computer monitor. You'll need to hook up a NTSC monitor and view the full video signal off of that for any accurate color correction.

Your computer screen uses the RGB color space, not NTSC.

If you can afford it go for the LCDs, they are damn sexy.

(However if you are doing Photoshop color work for the computer world only then CRTs would have a good argument...except that the Apple LCDs are - see above - damn sexy)

peteMG
Mar 4, 2003, 12:24 PM
Save your money with a single CRT now and then be the first on the block to slap down the remaining cash for OLED!!

Story at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/ (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7722&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=)

That way, you can squeeze more resolution out of the CRT if you need it, and stick the rest into a short-term CD or something. Make a little interest and then be the envy of all your friends, and us here too. Or, if you really want to be first on the block you could go and buy an OLED device right now for ~$400: http://www.dpreview.com/ (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03030216kodakls633.asp) You'll have to fly to europe to get it, though, so that just blows the whole plan out of the water. Oh well.

-p

zoetropeuk
Mar 4, 2003, 03:47 PM
How can you bring up Mr. Rogers at a time like this??? Hows the bastard now???

I am Mr Rogers, Matthew Rogers !!! What's this about a Mr Rogers ????