PDA

View Full Version : eMac Repair Extension Program Announced

MacRumors
Jun 23, 2006, 08:33 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has announced an eMac Repair Extension program for eMacs that were sold between April 2004 and June 2005 and are experiencing scrambled and/or distorted video, no video, or no power. Users who feel that their eMac may be affected by the issue can learn more about the program by visiting the program's site (http://www.apple.com/support/emac/repairextensionprogram/).

This issue was initially brought to light on various discussion boards and was highlighted in a page 2 story (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060501155840.shtml). A common issue with the affected Macs were bulging and cracked capacitors on the logic board.

dornoforpyros
Jun 23, 2006, 08:43 PM
good on ya apple.

now MR, who votes negative on something like this? really?

yankeefan24
Jun 23, 2006, 08:45 PM
has apple ever done something like this before?

this is good news!:D

G5Unit
Jun 23, 2006, 08:46 PM

this is good news!:D

Yeh. With MY iPod. I LOVE APPLE!

mjstew33
Jun 23, 2006, 08:55 PM
This is AWESOME news!

I know some people and my school who have problems with there eMacs.

Sweet. :D

nagromme
Jun 23, 2006, 09:01 PM

Yes :) Certain iBooks come to mind, and also I think some iMac G5s.

If Apple gets a batch of bad components, they often seem to make it right this way, even if technically the warranty doesn't require them to.

There's a reason Apple is rated in surveys as having the best support in the industry.

ITASOR
Jun 23, 2006, 09:12 PM
I can see it now....the "Yellow MacBook (white) Repair Extension Program". :p

mjstew33
Jun 23, 2006, 09:15 PM
LOL ITASOR!

have there been problems with them? :eek: :confused:

I haven't seen any threads...

ITASOR
Jun 23, 2006, 09:16 PM
LOL ITASOR!

have there been problems with them? :eek: :confused:

I haven't seen any threads...

:rolleyes:

bobber205
Jun 23, 2006, 09:49 PM
This is AWESOME news!

I know some people and my school who have problems with there eMacs.

Sweet. :D

My old high school had some troubles with video cards in several machines that were about 3 years old. My mentor had them sent in and fixed.

w_parietti22
Jun 23, 2006, 09:58 PM
Thats good news! :)
My (old) school has a bunch of eMacs. None of them have the problem yet though.

~Shard~
Jun 23, 2006, 10:52 PM
Great to see that Apple hasn't completely forgot about the eMac. I wonder if we'll ever see a revamped education solution utilizing the new Intel chips...

pianoman181
Jun 23, 2006, 11:13 PM
The school district I work in had received a shipment of 243 eMacs during that time period. They've been failing one by one by one, like clockwork. We reached an agreement with Apple and the we have been in the process of getting logic boards replaced by them for the past couple months (in batches of 20 as school was still in session) free of charge. It's good to see Apple is doing the right thing here for everybody now. There does seem to be two separate issues. These capacitor failures are not only causing garbled video but also completely random hard lockups.

macEfan
Jun 23, 2006, 11:34 PM
yeah, those all in one CRT macs get quite toasty inside.. Glad apple is doing something about it!

Zygon Gambit
Jun 24, 2006, 02:11 AM
Not quite so good from my point of view, as my serial number lies just outside the range they specify, and yet I've been having similar problems.

dogbone
Jun 24, 2006, 02:24 AM
Wow I feel I've won one of those scratch lotteries. I checked the serial number of one of our eMacs and it's a match, Yay. :mad:

But I haven't had any problems yet. What does this mean? should I get it checked anyway. Should I wait for it to fail. Are all computers covered by the serial numbers affected or only random ones withing the affected range?

What if I take it to get looked at and there's nothing wrong. Will I get charged?

dhc
Jun 24, 2006, 05:47 AM
This is good news. My son uses my old eMac which I bought within that time frame - not checked the serials yet, but neither have I had any problems..yet!
(infact, everytime I see the eMac on, I'm always amazed at that crisp CRT.)

dogbone
Jun 24, 2006, 07:09 AM
I like this question and answer...

If my eMac is still under warranty, how does this program affect me?

If your eMac is eligible for the program and within its warranty period, you will have your system repaired at no cost to you.

It's sort of like a Steven Wright joke. If I put a digital clock in a microwave oven will time run backwards. I mean they are asking what happens if it's covered under the program and also covered under warrantee. As if the two negatives cancel out and make a positive. If it's free under the program and also free under warrantee does that mean I might have to pay.

jagolden
Jun 24, 2006, 07:17 AM
Yes :) Certain iBooks come to mind, and also I think some iMac G5s.

If Apple gets a batch of bad components, they often seem to make it right this way, even if technically the warranty doesn't require them to.

There's a reason Apple is rated in surveys as having the best support in the industry.

Yeah, as long as you're dealing with an Apple Retail store and not the home office.
When my iMac G5 (liiterally in the first batch that came off the line) went bad (power and HD), the over-the-phone service was terrible. First, they tried to tell me I did not have an extended Apple Care warranty (I had the reciepts for purchase), That I needed to fax all to them and it would take 12 to 18 working days just to process that, much less get the unit repaired! Secondly, they wouldn't even pony up to the etended coverage they provide because this has been a troublesome issue for the early iMac G5's.
I had to explaint to them that I was aware of this an my unit clearly fell withing the serial numbers. Their response was "well, call an authorized Apple repair center".
Luckily I have a local Apple Retail Store. Called them, "sure thing, bring it in". Brough it in explained the problem, we looked at it, and they said clearly ti was covered by the special Apple warranty for this problem.
However, hey also discovered the HD was failing but this was not covered. I explained the AppleCare Warranty problem I was having and they said "no problem, if you have the reciepts, that's all I need to repair it". Unit was reparied, under full warranty, same day.
Calling Apple support - poor.
Going to Apple Retail Store - GREAT!!

rasputnik
Jun 24, 2006, 08:58 AM
Not quite so good from my point of view, as my serial number lies just outside the range they specify, and yet I've been having similar problems.

Make sure you ring in and tell them! My eMac died three days ago, and a mate pointed me to this article. Just rang apple who said 'unfortunately you're outside the range' etc. but I've asked them to record my serial number.

If enough people tell them what's up, they might extend the serial number ranges.
It's quite possible they aren't aware of all affected models, and the only people who can tell them are we users...

apple who said 'unfortunately you're outside the range' etc.

I'm only just outside too :)

jruc4871
Jun 24, 2006, 09:12 AM
If my eMac is not experiencing any problems, how does this program affect me?

I like this question and answer...

It's sort of like a Steven Wright joke. If I put a digital clock in a microwave oven will time run backwards. I mean they are asking what happens if it's covered under the program and also covered under warrantee. As if the two negatives cancel out and make a positive. If it's free under the program and also free under warrantee does that mean I might have to pay.

dogbone
Jun 24, 2006, 09:17 AM
If my eMac is not experiencing any problems, how does this program affect me?

I wondered that at first but it is answered. Apple say to do nothing. But at least you can rest assured knowing that if something does happen you will recognise it.

AidenShaw
Jun 24, 2006, 09:35 AM
now MR, who votes negative on something like this? really?
Maybe someone who still clings to the belief that PCs are disposable, and Macs last forever?

Evidence that Apple is using the same (sometimes low) quality parts as everyone else would be a negative influence on such a belief.

lazyrighteye
Jun 24, 2006, 09:55 AM
I wonder if we'll ever see a revamped education solution utilizing the new Intel chips...

Do you really wonder?
My sources say we will see Apple move all Macs to Intel chips. :p

Seriously, good to see Apple addressing problems with a left-for-dead Mac.
Now if I could just get my dual USB iBook backlight repaired, I'd be a happy camper (I don't think it falls under the that repair dealio with certain serial numbers as I've taken it to 2 different Apple Stores with no luck). As it stands now, it is completely unusable - and a minimum of $300 to "look at it" (granted, that $300 goes towards repair fees) just seems not the best use of $300. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with the 'Book.

Dang.

~Shard~
Jun 24, 2006, 10:12 AM
Do you really wonder?
My sources say we will see Apple move all Macs to Intel chips. :p

I know that Steve has said all Macs will be Intel by the end of the year, however the eMac has simply been so neglected for the longest time, being removed from the main Store and all, that one has to wonder if Apple is going to let it quietly fade away into nothingness and if it will indeed be a part of these Intel updates.

The bigger question would be, will the eMac simply go Intel with a nice Core Duo chip in it, or will the eMac as we know it be dead for all intents and purposes, as Apple releases a totally redesigned Intel eMac? Perhaps it will not even be called the eMac anymore! Replace the CRT with an LCD, who knows what else could be done...

I guess that's what I'm wondering about. :p ;) :cool:

andrewjnyc
Jun 24, 2006, 12:29 PM
I work at a magazine where everyone in editorial has an eMac, and mine died two weeks ago as a result of this very problem. Our IT boyz will be very glad to learn about this repair extension!

Having my eMac crash incessantly for several days before IT replaced it was a huge pain, but I'm actually glad it died since they replaced it with one running Tiger and with 1GB RAM in it (before, I had Panther and 512MB). That more than makes the short term hassle worthwhile...

DVNIEL
Jun 24, 2006, 02:32 PM
New Intel eMacs next Tuesday!

I couldn't resist=)

SeanMcg
Jun 24, 2006, 03:15 PM
At work, I have to support Windows machines, Dells all, and their GX270 model has gotten notorious for bad capacitors on the motherboard. You'll see them bulging and burst and it causes problems similar to what has been reported with the eMacs. It also seems to affect machines that are near the end of a corporate IT rotation (i.e. - 3 years).

Makes me wonder what is going on at these motherboard fabs.

musicus
Jun 24, 2006, 03:25 PM
Yes, I remember a repair program for the video circuitry on the Performa 5200. This was another all-in-one machine and almost a hernia-inducing two-person-lift. Bit of a dog in other ways too.

emac kinda guy
Jun 24, 2006, 05:19 PM
Well as the guy who started the "Video artifacts" story, I must say this is good news. My emac has been crashing more and more frequently.

This restores my faith in Apple.

http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has announced an eMac Repair Extension program for eMacs that were sold between April 2004 and June 2005 and are experiencing scrambled and/or distorted video, no video, or no power. Users who feel that their eMac may be affected by the issue can learn more about the program by visiting the program's site (http://www.apple.com/support/emac/repairextensionprogram/).

This issue was initially brought to light on various discussion boards and was highlighted in a page 2 story (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060501155840.shtml). A common issue with the affected Macs were bulging and cracked capacitors on the logic board.

ijimk
Jun 24, 2006, 06:50 PM
another good move on apple. gld to see the support still there after discontinued...

Dane D.
Jun 24, 2006, 07:39 PM
How ironic to read this today. My son's eMac wouldn't boot, flashing '?' mark. Ran Disk Utility off Restore DVD, didn't see HD. Ran hardware test off DVD, passed. Shut down and came back to unit about 4 hrs. later, it booted and works fine (crossing fingers). Do you think it qualifies for this program? First problem I have encounter in 1 year and 4 months.

ezekielrage_99
Jun 24, 2006, 10:06 PM
All I can say is that it's about time Apple releases an update for the poor old eMacs. I set up a lab of 25 of these computers about 18 months ago at a school (a mates rates job) and 3 of them have been effected by the scrambled video, now we can get them fixed (YAY) :D :D :D

But seriously Apple needs to release an Intel eMac because many schools and students would buy them because of the price, ease of use, feature, low operational costs and reliability. I would buy one if they release one.

swingerofbirch
Jun 24, 2006, 10:09 PM
Yes, I remember a repair program for the video circuitry on the Performa 5200. This was another all-in-one machine and almost a hernia-inducing two-person-lift. Bit of a dog in other ways too.

I was the unfortunate owner of a Performa 5200CD. It was the worst computer ever. I used it when I was in middle school. As a Mac evangelist with Mac-haters for friends I pretty much never mentioned I had the Performa and never showed it to anyone. It was an embarassment to Apple--and me!

I now have an eMac (and also had a bondi iMac before that)--they have both been good to me, save problems related to an overzealous tech who had never worked on a Mac before breaking my eMac. My only complaints are that the screen shivers when you play loud music and that the fan is loud.

Gabedm
Jun 24, 2006, 11:09 PM
this makes me mad,

I have a 700mhz emacthat i purchased oh 4 years ago, computer was great until about 7 months ago i started to get the tell tale scrambled video followed a few weeks later by total blackout of my video on the crt display,
I figured it was off warranty for 3 years that there was nothing i copuld do, but apple should note that this problem is NOT isolated to computers made after jan of 04'
I wounder if there is anything i can do,
since the only way i could keep using the computer was to buy a separate display

lame..........

dogbone
Jun 25, 2006, 12:27 AM
...save problems related to an overzealous tech who had never worked on a Mac before breaking my eMac. My only complaints are that the screen shivers when you play loud music and that the fan is loud.

Hey, I remember that post. Wasn't that the one where you gave the case a shower. About the shivering screen, that's just how it is. a pair of cheap externals is good. You can pick up some Behringer MS16 (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHMS16) speakers for about US$60, they're cheap and get rid of the screen shivering. They're not as good a a pair of $200 2.1's of course but they are a vast improvement on the built ins for very little cash.

Haenk
Jun 25, 2006, 04:56 AM
Apple decided to go with the very cheapest parts available, when all other manufacturers (even Apple itself) already experienced these blown-up capacitors and switched to more reliable manufacturers. I can only assume:
a) Apple engineers were fully unaware of these issues (meaning they ignored the whole PC business for a couple of years)
b) Apple engineers were fully aware of these issues (which I would call fraud)
c) there is no QC at component level
d) Apple marketing decided for the easy dollar and did choose price over quality (considering the price of their machines, I would call this a rip-off)

There is no reason to assume that this is just a batch of "bad parts", as QC should have rejected this batch *and* the iMac G5s show the very same component failure. Anyone remember the AirPort stations - one would assume Apple learned from their mistakes...)

Just wait for the next "big bang" - if you have a 1st gen. iMac G5, now would be a good time to sell it...

dogbone
Jun 25, 2006, 05:07 AM
Can anyone explain to me exactly what is "scrambled video", does it refer to quicktime or only DVD, or is it anything rendered by your graphic card? How and where egzacategly does it manifest.

hd78
Jun 25, 2006, 09:32 AM
Apple decided to go with the very cheapest parts available, when all other manufacturers (even Apple itself) already experienced these blown-up capacitors and switched to more reliable manufacturers. I can only assume:
a) Apple engineers were fully unaware of these issues (meaning they ignored the whole PC business for a couple of years)
b) Apple engineers were fully aware of these issues (which I would call fraud)
c) there is no QC at component level
d) Apple marketing decided for the easy dollar and did choose price over quality (considering the price of their machines, I would call this a rip-off)

There is no reason to assume that this is just a batch of "bad parts", as QC should have rejected this batch *and* the iMac G5s show the very same component failure. Anyone remember the AirPort stations - one would assume Apple learned from their mistakes...)

Just wait for the next "big bang" - if you have a 1st gen. iMac G5, now would be a good time to sell it...

My thought exactly. They keep deny that they have a problem the evad cable.

HughJ
Jun 25, 2006, 09:56 AM
Can anyone explain to me exactly what is "scrambled video", does it refer to quicktime or only DVD, or is it anything rendered by your graphic card? How and where egzacategly does it manifest.

i too would be interested in this, my company bought one of these as a work station (tight arse's) ive been using it extensively for the last 18months or there abouts.

anyway, on outward apprearances there is nothing wrong with my screen BUT i created a thread a while ago, saying my screen was shivering, it moves a fraction of a millimeter but its enough to give me blinding headaches/migranes (not to mention a very expensive pair of glasses...which i only need when im at work) where i now am using screen spanning and have a large piece of vinyl covering the CRT.

I've spoken to a couple of Authroised repairers and both one has mentioned the power supply.

woudl this be covered under the extension? (heck I'm not even sure if the numbers match yet)

hugh

HughJ
Jun 25, 2006, 09:59 AM

i too would be interested in this, my company bought one of these as a work station (tight arse's) ive been using it extensively for the last 18months or there abouts.

anyway, on outward apprearances there is nothing wrong with my screen BUT i created a thread a while ago, saying my screen was shivering, it moves a fraction of an millimeter but its enough to give me blinding headaches/migranes (not to mention a very expensive pair of glasses...which i only need when im at work) i now use screen spanning with an LCD but have a large piece of vinyl blocking the CRT

I've spoken to a couple of Authroised repairers and both one has mentioned the power supply.

woudl this be covered under the extension? (heck I'm not even sure if the numbers match yet)

hugh

emac kinda guy
Jun 25, 2006, 10:35 AM

In the Video artifacts thread, someone else posted this link: http://www.swinglight.com/jibber.jpg

That pretty much shows what happens to mine. Its a hard crash requiring the computer to be restarted. Mine started with misplaced pixels in the display.

schatten
Jun 25, 2006, 12:26 PM
Yeah,
I remember being an Apple tech working on the eMacs. They've been plagued with problems from Rev A. & down the line!

They're a real pain in the arse to work on too! Gotta be able to heft a ton to lift the thing, but have dainty little hands to access the nooks & crannies. In addition, you can't easily swap out any component without disassembling the whole thing. The screws they use to hold the outer case on are made of the softest possible metal, constantly get stripped... ugh, I could go on & on.

eMacs went against everything Apple stands for as far as ease of service goes. Especially not ideal for school environments.

chatin
Jun 25, 2006, 12:58 PM
I have a dead YM303* serial # eMac. Not covered under the program but the same symptoms.

I'll bug Apple and see if the program can be expanded.

mjstew33
Jun 25, 2006, 03:31 PM
Good luck, Chatin.

I don't think they will budge, though. :(

Di9it8
Jun 25, 2006, 06:44 PM
Heres my suggestion, why dont apple replace the eMacs with their new ieMacs,
refurbish the old eMacs and provide them to the not for profit sector with full support.
This would be a win/win situation at very low cost and maximum marketing benefit.
Both the education sector and the NFP sector would then be satisfied customers ;)

asa_nisi_masa
Jun 25, 2006, 10:12 PM
Hi all. I'm not a regular contributor here but thought I'd mention this -

I'm a dispatch technician for an Apple Authorized Service Provider, which means that I go out and repair Macs for people with AppleCare. We cover a lot of schools, so I've seen this problem over and over and fully anticipated this repair extension program. So here is my advice to you, if you have an eMac that falls within the SN range: Flip your eMac so the front is facing down, and take the panel off the bottom by loosening the single phillips screw. Inside you should see one or two capacitors (depending on model). They look like small cylinders standing at a 90 degree angle off the board. They should be metallic on top and mostly brown elsewhere. If they have a plus on top, and they are bulging or there is reddish-brown stuff leaking out, you can go ahead and call Apple. Tell them what you saw and they will cover it, even if you don't have symptoms yet. If they have a K or Mercedes logo, then your board may or may not be bad, but those capacitors don't fail - so there's no way to know unless you have the symptoms. Only the plus capacitors fail, but the ones you can see here aren't the only ones on the board. However, in my experience, almost all of these eMacs have one or both of these visible capacitors failing.

Even if you aren't experiencing issues yet, it would be a good idea to look. Don't attempt to open your eMac any further than this. They aren't exactly easy to take apart and can contain high voltage even when unplugged.

Hope that helps some people!

dogbone
Jun 25, 2006, 10:44 PM
...They should be metallic on top and mostly brown elsewhere. If they have a plus on top, and they are bulging or there is reddish-brown stuff leaking out, you can go ahead and call Apple...

Thanks for that info. I had a look and thought I saw some red stuff leaking out but after I enlarged the shot I can see it is printing. This eMac is in the affected range and is 19 months old. The caps look OK. Does this mean if they have survived this long that it is unlikely to cause trouble in the future? Or should I still keep an eye on them every 6 months.

While you're here, can you recommend a good way to clean the dust from an eMac that is safe.

http://xs302.xs.to/xs302/06261/caps.jpg

cosmichobo
Jun 26, 2006, 01:58 AM
G'day,

My eMac, which presented with the "jibber" and hard-lock ups at the start of this year, was repaired free of charge in March, but only after I emailed Steve Jobs. Apple Australia ('s phone staff) weren't interested at all in the problem despite hundreds of people presenting with the problem.

Although a small amount of eMacs were crashing pre-06, and techs have reported seeing bulging caps on eMac logic boards that were not showing any symptoms in 05, it was in Dec/Jan05 that this problem really became apparent. It's thus taken Apple 6 months to respond, and in that time a great many first time Apple Mac owners have turned away in disgust, as the majority of those affected have simply been told to "save for a new computer" (I kid you not).

If you have an eMac built between Apr04-Feb05, whether it shows signs or not, I'd do as Asa suggested and look for badcaps under the RAM hatch. If you have an eMac pre-04 with these problems, unless the caps are the same batch (black/gold with the + on top), I doubt Apple will be interested.

Let's get this straight - it was a bad batch of caps, not necessarily cheap ones, that caused the problem. The same caps were used in the iMac G5, and for whatever reason in that machine these caps went bad within months, whereas in the eMac they "turn" after 18 months (you can nearly set your watch by it).

Yes, it's great that Apple have started this repair program - it's what a lot of people have been asking for for the past 6 months. But it's a shame they took so long to help "the little people", whilst quietly repairing school based eMacs with the problem, given that so many first timers have now been badly scarred by the experience.

cosmic

asa_nisi_masa
Jun 26, 2006, 06:56 AM
While you're here, can you recommend a good way to clean the dust from an eMac that is safe.

eMacs generally don't get all that dusty inside actually. Generally, the fan will catch any dust that might get into the machine. If you want, you can use canned air and spray it into the grill in the back of the eMac while its on. This should kick the dust off the fan and then the fan will blow it back out at you in a big cloud, so be careful. But again, eMacs stay pretty clean inside unless they are in an extremely dusty area.

Let's get this straight - it was a bad batch of caps, not necessarily cheap ones, that caused the problem. The same caps were used in the iMac G5, and for whatever reason in that machine these caps went bad within months, whereas in the eMac they "turn" after 18 months (you can nearly set your watch by it).

I've found that time frame to be pretty accurate, although it could take longer.

Also, to address any fears from people who get their eMacs back with plus capacitors still on the board - they are a different batch and should be fine. The new parts should not have this problem at all.

maxeythecat
Jul 5, 2006, 07:19 PM
Boy, is this the best news or what???? My eMac is in storage at the moment but the serial number falls right smack dab in the middle of the affected lot. Have'nt experienced any real problems as yet, but as soon as I get settled into my new digs, I'm flippin' that bad boy over and take a look at the innards straight away. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky K's but just in case I've got a set of the bad'uns at least there's something I can do about it now. Cheers, Mac!